[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>work at a help desk >hey i was wondering if you can help

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1492856639578.png (92KB, 500x398px) Image search: [Google]
1492856639578.png
92KB, 500x398px
>work at a help desk
>hey i was wondering if you can help me, you probably cant cause i'm running linux
>oh boy here we FUCKING go...
>i don't see why i can't help you, lets take a look at it
>ok so i'm trying to move a file to the school server...

>hes using file zilla on ubuntu
>>
>>60080006
Schools should teach kids how to use scp and rsync on Ubuntu

Fuck filezilla seriously
>>
>>60080006
LOL epic my dude
i too am working a high end job at help desk and look down on people who ask me for help
>>
>>60080006
yes? then what happened?
>>
ahaha epic thread guys get in here
>>
>>60080006
>>60080405
I use filezilla because I'm lazy
scp/rsync are nice for scripts but a pain if I'm trying to do something quickly
>>
>>60080006
What a total cunt you are.
Shit story cunt.
>>
>>60084285
It's not fucking hard

It's easier than drag and drop if you have ssh access
>>
Please put me in the r/4chan screenshot
>>
How do I get a help desk job? I have a bachelors in IT and a 4'month internship at a county IT department for a big city doing good networking stuff with switches. However even level 1 is asking for years of experience. What needs to be on my resume?
>>
>>60087935
I'm dropout who got his job without any experience and with medical knowledge from high school. Everything I learned IT related was from daily usage of computer. Helpdesk is meant to be for people to start their IT career so send cv everywhere including motivation letter.
>>
>>60087935
I got a help desk job with zero corporate experience and my only experience being "Well, I worked in a repair shop for a few years and I like fucking around with PCs"

For a service desk job, especially an entry-level one, what's more important than knowledge is attitude. Unless you're legitimately retarded, your superiors will be able to advise, guide and teach you what you need to know to help people. What YOU need to do, at the interview stage, is show that you genuinely want to help people. You have to show that you're customer-focused. I got my job over someone FAR more experienced because, in my manager's words, I seemed like a more genuine person, I joked around with my interviewers, I seemed like a ACTUALLY wanted to help people who came to me with a problem, whereas the other guy was sarcastic, condescending, and generally seemed like an ass.

Maybe that was just for my job though, because I'm in-house tech support, not out-sourced or third-party, so I know all the people I'm helping, and we're all part of the same company. It might be different if you're contracted support for another business.
>>
[GO]
>>
op your post is fine
this thread perfectly frames the deterioration of /g/
this used to be such a nice community back in like 2010 I miss it
>>
>>60087935
I work at a Help Desk. They'll hire anyone who has some competence with troubleshooting computer problems, but more importantly, personal skills. Since Help Desk analysts are a lot of times the only IT point of contact for an organization, the Help Desk is seen as the face of the IT department. Some people are so retarded they think that the Help Desk is the whole IT department. If you have some background in the industry the company works in (medical, marketing, etc.) it is seen as a major plus. At my company, we've hired people with degrees that aren't remotely IT related, but they were seen as pleasant and teachable. If you have a solid understanding of computers and continuously increase your skill set, its pretty easy to stand out from the pack and increase in rank faster. I made 80K last year due to this.
>>
>>60091218
thanks, I have great social skills and can do well in the HR interview, do you what kind of things I need to know or have on my resume for the technical stuff?
>>
>>60091261
It really depends on the job posting. Read the job posting and copy over what you have knowledge in along with your other competence to show how much of a computer enthusiast you are. Most organizations use, of course, Windows and other Microsoft products. However, some places require some Mac OS knowledge also since there are enough people who pull rank to get Apples. Make sure to highlight your social skills and how customer focused you are also.

In the interview, you'll probably be asked to troubleshoot a problem that has no answer (no internet connection is popular). They might let you know it's unsolvable, but some don't and have a perverse pleasure at listening to people grasp at straws. Be prepared to go down all roads when troubleshooting these types of issues since it shows how knowledgeable and creative you are. The last think they'll want is some that asks a user to restart their PC, then escalate to another IT team because "LOL IT CROWD".
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.