[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If companies like Facebook and Apple are throwing billions into

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: mixed_reality_adverts.jpg (185KB, 1280x600px) Image search: [Google]
mixed_reality_adverts.jpg
185KB, 1280x600px
If companies like Facebook and Apple are throwing billions into making AR the next media platform, what hope does the technology have of not becoming a dystopian nightmare?

Also what's /g/'s opinion on AR tech in general?

>inb4 any mention of Hololens plz no
>>
Casual street-wear AR is a complete gimmick. Don't worry about the nightmare. I don't believe it'll ever get that far before hitting the scrap heap. It's a nice moonshot for FB/Apple but they're only going to be feeding some lucky startups.
>>
>>60069946
I appreciate that it's hard to imagine people adopting it, but people are always willing to adopt new technologies - think of the first mobile phones - people thought the same about that. I find it hard to believe that something the big 3 are putting billions into would just fizzle out.
>>
Not gonna happen because it makes you look like a sperglord and creep. The only that could have saved it was if Google made Glass like an IRL HUD but instead they went for a fucking camera on it and fucking voice command.

"OK GOOGLE. TAKE A PICTURE" really ruins trying to take a sneaky shot of a girl
>>
>>60070183
What about MR then, as opposed to AR - would it have the ability to replace current tech and be ubiquitous?
>>
>>60070206
What is MR
>>
>>60070103
>but people are always willing to adopt new technologies
Not necessarily to reach critical mass. Think of the first smartwatches. And the second, and the third, and the rest that no one is going to make now.

I wouldn't refute that it might eventually take off, just like the watches might. But not in their current incarnation. The concept would need to be repackaged. I really liked the prototypes from a few years back where a video ad panel would recognize passers-by (either generally or as unique identities) and display specific ads to them. I think it can even be limited to a particular viewing angle to catch multiple people at once. Now that, that'll do 'er.
>>
>>60070222
Mixed Reality - so like Meta, or Hololens, or MagicLeap where the digital content is aware of its environment - as opposed to just a HUD
>>
>>60070255
So something where the user isn't forced to wear a HMD then, because it's too obtrusive?
>>
>>60070281
Idk if the tech is there yet it's hard to predict now. You mean like the movie "Her"?
>>
>>60070299
I think any device which updates your perception of reality, rather than altering the reality which you perceive, is a no-go. The augmentation should be as external as possible to the user.
>>
>>60070378
Morally/ethically, or because people would feel too encroached on?
>>
>>60070413
The latter. Not at the exclusion of the former, though. I'm simply not thoughtful enough to weigh AR along those lines.
>>
File: alibaba_AR_shopping_app.jpg (49KB, 1456x814px) Image search: [Google]
alibaba_AR_shopping_app.jpg
49KB, 1456x814px
>>60070355
No I mean spatially aware.
>>
>>60070425
What do you mean thoughtful enough?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.