[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would Microsoft have to do to cause a mass exodus of users

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 9

File: 1388345809177.jpg (152KB, 950x534px) Image search: [Google]
1388345809177.jpg
152KB, 950x534px
What would Microsoft have to do to cause a mass exodus of users from Windows to Mac/Linux/BSD?

Beyond telemetry, beyond forced updates, beyond "something happened". What is the one thing they could change or do to Windows for Enterprise, consumers, even Servers to jump ship?
>>
Literally nothing.
Microsoft could literally lock out developers and force you to pay $99 annually for signed developer keys and people would still use windows because it has all the games and all the professional software like photoshop and solidworks.
>>
>>60067355
The only thing that could get normies off Windows was if social media was somehow blocked on it
>>
Break compatibility with non "aproved" applications from the MS Store.
>>
>What is the one thing they could change or do to Windows for ... consumers
Fuck up windows phone and watch normal users give up desktops/laptops as a whole and move to iOS or Android.
>>
Promote learning about computer tech and encourage trying new things. You know, the things that got most ex Windows users to ditch in the first place.
>>
>>60067355
Most people don't even know Linux exists. macOS is the only alternative, but users need to be able to afford Mac hardware. Those who can't don't know any other alternative exists, so they're pretty much stuck and will have to take whatever Microsoft gives them.

Most of everything average users do is done through the browser. Linux has Chrome so much of their experience can be done in Linux, but they have no idea Linux exists because the Linux community is extremely bad at PR and thinking putting spinning cubes in their distros are enough to advertise Linux instead of actually advertising the operating system.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Qj8p-PEwbI

There is nothing Microsoft could do to cause user exodus at this point.
>>
Remove gayme support.
>>
>>60067355
Block games.
>>
>>60069531
>>60069554
/thread
>>
>>60069498
>journalists pronounces it oo-BUN-too
>the girl pronounces it oo-BOON-too
>the journalists mock her for calling it that way
>the actual Ubuntu developers and South Africans (where the word comes from) actually pronounces it the same way the girl does

...and the mainstream media wonders why they're so unpopular?
>>
>>60069615
It's American local news.

The "journalist" probably doesn't have any journalism credential, but got the job because he or she won some local Stacy and Chad beauty contest or something.
>>
>>60067355
It would have to be something really big, because if you take a look at applications like whatsup or skype you can see people don't care if there is a better option. They stick to what they know.
>>
Stop with preloading Windows on laptops and PC's.

Normies don't give a fuck if they run Windows, ChromeOS, Apple or Linux. Internet and typing is all they need.
>>
Break Win32 compatibility in favor of the appx bullshit they're pushing.
>>
>>60067355
>What would Microsoft have to do to cause a mass exodus of users from Windows to Mac/Linux/BSD?
You mean, more than personal computing ending up on Android and everything else (servers, "smart" appliances, even embedded devices) strongly ending up on Linux?

I guess they'd have to break compatibility with old programs completely and stop providing Windows to OEM.

> What is the one thing they could change or do to Windows for Enterprise, consumers, even Servers to jump ship?
No, servers already very strongly happened, and with them obviously the most key aspect of enterprise computing.

Of course not everyone instantly ran for the hills, but this exodus is extremely strong around the world.

It's also looking strong going forward, virtually no one cares about Azure and shit, everyone big and market-defining is on Linux and open sauce solutions.
>>
>>60067355
Remove Active Directory from Server Manager
>>
>>60069443
Most people migrated most of their personal computing (time wise) to Android, many even stopped using desktops regularly.

And the servers and clouds they're using in the process of course also are mostly running Linux.

But certainly it seems unlikely that they'll go to desktop Linux.

Android devices and magical servers on the other side is how "normal" people's majority of computer usage looks for the foreseeable future.
>>
>>60067355
Probably of games work as well or better on Linux they'd lose half
>>
>>60067355
They would just migrate to apple, which would be more closed off.

The easiest way is to end oem pack in, because path of least resistance.
>>
>>60070139
People who play computer games are a few hundred million, and only maybe a hundred million cares enough if their game runs well, the rest will just play something else (browser game or whatever).

Like two billion people use smartphones for entertainment instead. MS already basically lost all of them.
>>
It would have to be when W7 support finally ends, and everyone has computers that only work with W10. Then, MS would have to literally brick windows 10 for months on end. Even then, people would just get a workaround or rollback, unless someone then took advantage of the lack of updates and bricked them all again.

Only then would it be the year of the linux desktop.
>>
>>60070367
I guess some absolutely massive PR blunder would also work. Accidentally giving everyone a sticky note that's shitting on the proletariat, or something.
>>
>>60067355
well i never used windows but windows 10 is a fuckin privacy nightmare
>>
>>60067411
let's be honest they'd still buy laptops and just only use facebook/snapchat on their phones. They'd probably forget why they buy laptops, but they'd buy them
>>
>>60069615
Mark Shuttleworth is South African, so I'm assuming he drilled the developers about it early on since it means a lot to him and is literally the foundation of why he started it.

But fucking finally someone points this out. Thank you.

t. south african
>>
They're already doing it.
>>
>>60067355
Breaking compatibility.

If a version of windows is ever released that breaks a huge amount of software people are going to quit. Generally people can depend upon Windows for one thing and that is compatibility, if something were to break compatibility with all XP software for example it would cause mass outrage.
>>
>>60070402
>lenovo literally puts rootkits on their devices and gets caught several times
>still bussiness as usual
consumers dont care about such stuff
>>
>>60067355
At this point I'm convinced: Absolutely fucking nothing. This company is untouchable. Bill Gates could personally shit in the face of every Windows user, and most of them would still use it. Sorta like Obama.
>>
>>60067393
No, Vista and 8 were failures. They were just bookended by the outstandingness of XP, 7, and 10 so people could still get the cream of Microsoft. If Microsoft turned 10 into the clusterfuck that was Vista and ended support for 7, it would open the door for others.
If Windows is worse than Linux, people will want to switch and the software will follow them. Windows can just drop a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ways before it's worse than Linux.
>>
>>60071806
there isn't an alternative for the best keyboards.
>>
>>60070100
There isn't an easy Linux equivalent. Unless you know something I do not.
>>
>>60067355
Named user Rdp licensing
>>
nothing. until cuck/linux and bsd work then it will never happen.
>>
Really all it would take would be for some other OS to start being pre-installed on the computers that normies buy from Best Buy or wherever they get their computers from.

Normies won't ever have the initiative to install their own operating system and most of them will avoid macs because they want to save money. It would take some Microsoft rival to spring up and start competing with computers that have their own OS on it already.
>>
File: 1426237961163.jpg (8KB, 261x163px) Image search: [Google]
1426237961163.jpg
8KB, 261x163px
>>60071904
>Outstandingness of 10
>>
>>60071904
Windows 10 is fucking garbage lol how much did you get paid to shill in this thread?

>"You need to restart your computer to apply this settings change. Restarting..."
>"Program successfully installed. You need to restart your computer to complete the installation. Restarting..."
>forced restart to apply updates
>can't use your computer while installing updates; have to sit there and stare at the screen as it installs them
>"we couldn't complete the updates, undoing changes..."
>"restarting..."
>can't refuse specific features in an update
>can't refuse updates at all, unless you disable them completely, but...
>have to disable critical security updates just to make the system usable
>but it will only be usable for a week because Windows has more holes than swiss cheese
>still need an anti-virus
>still need to defrag occasionally
>still need to reinstall Windows regularly due to windows rot (this is arguable, some people say that you won't get windows rot if you use you take precautions, but no such measure are required on other operating systems)
>BSOD- It is NEVER acceptable to let the entire operating system crash when a single application causes a problem, yet Windows allows it.
>can't change the Desktop UI without some broken hacky shit
>can't customize anything outside of what Microsoft "allows"; it's Microsoft's computer for as long as Windows is installed on it
>feature creep
>ads in file manager
>ads in settings UI
>ads in start menu
>>
>>60071764
Except Windows XP software already doesn't work in Windows 10. I've seen some companies use Windows 8 because of that.
>>
>>60071904
>8 was a failure
How? They took away your precious little start menu? Holy shit winfags have the worst case of baby duck syndrom. The metro UI was actually better than that fucking garbage start menu from the 90's. All your programs were right there with the press of the windows button, tiles neatly organized however you want them to be, and they're out of sight until you want them. Much better than the start menu, and much better than desktop icons which are cluttered and tacky as fuck.

People complain about Windows not getting any better, but whenever they actually make changes for the better, fucking faggot pieces of shit like you throw little hissy fits. Seriously, die. It's for the best.
>>
>>60072246
Spotted the GNOME 3 addict.
>>
The only way to get normies to use Linux is through work/school laptops loaded with Linux. My sister had for some time a laptop with Ubuntu issued by her workplace and now she doesn't matter what's on her computer as long as it can run libreoffice and a web browser.

She won't go as far as investigating new distros by herself but she knows it's a good alternative to Windows for restoring old computers and she asks me for updated Ubuntu live CDs from time to time just in case.
>>
>>60072257
spotted the nigger afraid of anything different
>>
Bill Gates could come out publicly and say MS has been a NSA front company all along and still nothing would happen
>>
>>60072241
>Except Windows XP software already doesn't work in Windows 10.
What are you talking about. I know it's "gaymes" bust most of them that were designed for and released during the Windows XP era still work fine with Windows 10.

>>60067355
Remove Win32 software support in favor of UWP only compatibility. Once users find out how many of their applications use Win32, it'll be the final straw and the true switch of many users to MacOS/Linux. After that, developers of all kinds would rush out Linux/Mac versions of many pieces of software and Windows will die loved by nobody.
>>
Nothing. Microsoft is as essential to modern computing (and by extension the modern world) as Intel. They're the two pillars holding it up.
>>
>>60072354
Touhou. I don't even use Windows anymore, but when I do, I do try Touhou, and the older ones don't work.
>>
File: RMS=Jesus.jpg (10KB, 250x221px) Image search: [Google]
RMS=Jesus.jpg
10KB, 250x221px
>>60067355
The only way that would happen is if RMS tapped into his jesus powers and went around spreading the holy word of GNU/Linux
>>
>>60067355
This is a testament to how people unpolished Linux is. Shuttleworth failed with Ubuntu and now is going to go to GNOME. 0/10
>>
>>60067355
Nothing. Everytime someone is forced to restart for 10 minutes they consider their options
>>
>>60067355
niggeraids
>>
As you've pointed out Microsoft has already done everything to setup the exodus, all that's needed now is to spread Linux to the younger generations. Boomers will never switch & Gen X is cucked by Apple. Spread Linux at highschools & Uni's over the next 10 years and you win.
>>
>>60067355
>What would Microsoft have to do to cause a mass exodus of users from Windows to Mac/Linux/BSD?
Force people to install software from the Windows Store.

Which is to say it's never ever going to happen.
>>
File: immunitycat.jpg (128KB, 345x1280px) Image search: [Google]
immunitycat.jpg
128KB, 345x1280px
>>60067355
>>
>>60072186
I've had Win 10 since slightly after launch with no issues. It just werks.
>>
>>60072246
That menu was fucking terrible. All spam and nothing useful.
>>
>>60072813
I've had Win 10 since slight before launch, nothing but issues. It never works.
>>
>>60072845
I've had Win 10 since slightly after launch with no issues. It just werks.
>>
>>60072292
>The only way to get normies to use Linux is through work/school laptops loaded with Linux.
The Apple IIe didn't stop the rise of the IBM PC. Windows is just better, and if your sister ever needs more than a Facebook machine, guess what she'll be installing?
>>
>>60072845
Go away, freetard.
>>
>>60072844
You do realize that you can customize it, right? I used 8 for a year or two until 10 came out, and I had about two dozen pinned applications on it, grouped by function, with maybe 2-3 live tiles for weather and stuff.

I actually sort of miss it. I think Windows 10 still has the full screen start menu, but IIRC it paints the background of every tile the primary theme color, so it's kind of meh and unattractive. To be honest, Windows 8's Desktop Aero theme was way better than 10's too, and edges out 7 as my favorite.
>>
>>60072872
No fuck you, I've had driver issues for printers & scanners, graphics card issues, harddrives issues & that's not to mention having to re-install the cunt 4 times due to software issues.

Ever since Win98 I've had more issues & more reinstalls with every iterations; XP, Win 7 & now Win 10.
>>
>>60069443
Would someone be allowed to just start advertising Linux?

It's free software; would there still be licensing issues if I decided to buy a shitload of TV advertisements to shill Linux?
>>
File: 1491614041728.jpg (119KB, 1320x908px) Image search: [Google]
1491614041728.jpg
119KB, 1320x908px
>>60067355
Monthly subscriptions and blocking apps from outside of their store would drive away a shitload of people. I could actually see Microsoft doing it too.
>>
File: Chae+Eun+Sexy+Blue+Bikini+(6).jpg (215KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Chae+Eun+Sexy+Blue+Bikini+(6).jpg
215KB, 1280x853px
>>60067355
Nothing more than they've already done, the rest appears to various software developers.

My brother uses Windows 7 and he likes his games, specially GTA 5. That NEET is so disgusted by Windows 10 that he constantly talks about switching to Linux. If he was able to play GTA 5 on Linux then he would have made the switch already and he will if he ever gets tired of it. The other game that NEET plays all day is Football Manager 2017 and that one is already available for GNU/Linux on Steam.

The amount of games available for GNU/Linux on Steam is actually quite impressive. I know this sounds strange, specially to GNU/Linux users, but the way Steam makes static binaries that works across distributions is great even though that's "not the unix way".

>>60067393
Games are getting there, take a look if you don't believe me. You're right about newer versions of Photoshop and other software not working perfectly under WINE but older versions are fine.
>>
>>60069994
This won't happen. The best offer I've gotten when asking for a laptop without Windows was to have the drive formatted at a fee. Seriously. They wanted the full price of the laptop, including a Windows license, and a fee on top of that to remove Windows so I could install GNU/Linux myself.

If it was possible to buy the same laptop with or without Windows then I think more people would consider using something else. The situation now is that you're forced to pay for a Windows license even if you'll never use it.
>>
>>60073201
There's a reason they do it that way. Nobody wants a computer that doesn't work, which is what you get if it's shipped blank or with Linux. Windows is what makes the hardware worth what it is.
>>
>>60073201
At a fee? First time I bought a laptop they offered to format the drive and refund me the $50 that the Windows license cost.

I didn't feel like going to the hassle so I just installed Linux myself.
>>
>>60073003
There are still trademark policies that have to be discussed.
>>
>>60067355
If they switched to a unix based system and had horrible compatibility with programs done in the NT kernel.
>>
>>60073201
Well the manufacturer probably pays for windows OeM installations en masse and passes on the cost, in fraction. There are so few people who would want a laptop without an OS pre-installed that its not worth it for vendors to include that option in their supply chain.

Sad but true.
>>
>>60073259
>Nobody
More like a small minority (like me). But yeah, my mother wouldn't want to buy a laptop without a OS (she's using Fedora and has for years so she'd probably call me to fix it if it came with Windows, but still)

>>60073290
Yes, formatting a drive in order to remove the Windows infection is apparently "work".

I know, it's ridiculous. But they seriously said no, you can't have your windows license refunded but we can clean format your harddrive if you pay us to do so.

>>60073345
Yes, the store probably paid X for the laptop as I got it delivered. This is extremely likely because of one little detail: There is actually something called a "Windows key" entry shown in the BIOS. I'm guessing that's a license hard-wired to that specific machine.
>>
File: 4321.png (36KB, 1795x709px) Image search: [Google]
4321.png
36KB, 1795x709px
>>60073403
I'm guessing you bought it from Best Buy?
>>
>>60067421
>Fuck up windows phone
6 years ahead of ya, whats new?
>>
>>60067355
if there was a linux installer that could be launched from within windows and automatically take care of the BIOS settings, non-gamer normies would switch in droves. doubt that is actually possible though.
>>
To be fair if there was only a single good desktop distro that just worked instead of having no compatibility with tons of software and all the alternatives being beyond subpar people would switch in a moment

So FOSS is to blame for having subpar products all around the table
>>
>>60073528
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>60070032
please no
>>
BSD isn't very useable. Mac is the best Unix for end users. Linux is for communists.
>>
Microshaft isn't going to do anything that will hurt their standing as one of the worlds most powerful companies. Market share is the name of game, kids, and Windows holds all the cards. Until a bigger, smarter player comes along, don't expect Microshiv to loosen their grip on your computer.

In fact, let me tell you what is coming next — subscription-based GPU+CPU+BANDWIDTH power. ISP's will introduced internet packages just like cable-TV packages. Entry-tier will include Yahoo, MSN, and such. Mid-tier will cost more but will add Google, Amazon, and such. Top-tier will be uncensored access. Microshmuley will release a Windows that encourages users to stay true to the corralling of the internet by offering users paid access to enormous CPU+GPU power via cloud computing. It will also be a tiered subscription-based system that requires you to be signed up to an ISP tiered internet subscription, only Microsnatch will charge nothing for the lowest CPU+GPU tier. People will flood the social sites with tales of how their $500 toaster pc is now a beast thanks to Microspook.
>>
>>60076222
this will never happen until american isps upgrade their networks, which the will never do in a timely fashion, certainly not to support normies playing crysis in 4k using streaming.
>>
>>60076222
> Top-tier will be uncensored access

Until those government ID linked logins come in right?
>>
If Apple wasn't so gamer unfriendly on OSX they would've already won. They already dominate for phone gaming.
>>
>>60067355
Basically directx and proprietary software, mostly office, and on enterprise Active directory plus a hell lot of old windows legacy softwares that requires windows platform.

With even visual studio and net working for linux there is less reason, but the whole directx on one side and AD/Office in the enterprise segment keep the locks
>>
>>60076222
Valve tried to rip part to linux machines, but the grip on directx is still too strong.

If you must use windows 10, then the best is to use LTSB and kill all further unneeded services and tasks.
>>
>>60067355
Most people don't care about desktop computers anymore. People are moving more towards mobile devices like phones and tablets. The majority of the people using desktop computers are gamers and developers. In order to cause gamers to jump ship, they would have to do something that interferes with game development or pisses off enough game developers.
>>
>>60072436
You you works fine on wine tho.
>>
>>60072813
>>60072854
>>60072872
Not him bit now I'm convinced you're either a shill or a very blind fanboy.
>>
>>60067355
up the price to 1000$
>>
File: reasons to live.jpg (56KB, 680x454px) Image search: [Google]
reasons to live.jpg
56KB, 680x454px
>>60067355

Charge a monthly fee for using winshit
>>
>>60071971
Apache Directory or whatever.

Not that you are likely to even want to use any active directory clone - the idea and implementation is just pretty shit.

Things like Puppet / Chef or Kubernetes etc. on the cloud server side are better, they don't only manage some settings, they basically can manage ALL settings AND deploy and monitor installations to a good degree.

It's like you have a not so fucked up version of SCCM that cares more about IT than acting as DRM license monitoring system for Microsoft. (Perfect they are not... but much, much better).
>>
>>60076289
> If Apple wasn't so gamer unfriendly on OSX they would've already won
But if Apple wasn't gamer unfriendly, it wouldn't be the Apple I dislike.

For all the stupid shit one or the other group of gamers like, the overall market pressure they exert is very much about price/performance lots of features.

Apple, on the other hand, is selling average performance and feature reductions (where the remaining part is generally supposed to work even for absolute retards) at a premium.

This will never work out until just about all other options are exhausted somehow, which won't happen.
>>
>>60072813
I'm running a fucking corpse that's been going only since last September.
>>
>>60072246
Yeah, that's the one and only reason.
>It wasn't the poor navigation.
>It wasn't the controls designed for a tablet.
>It definitely wasn't secure boot.
>>
>>60072861
Here is your logic
By your logic, A>C. Why? Because A>B.
How does this logic work?
A was greater than one thing so it must be better than everything else too.
>>
>>60072541
Can't consider options they're ignorant to. They must first learn of them.
>>
>>60072813
Welcome to your minority group
>>
>>60074630
It's been done years ago. Check out Wubi. Microsoft saw to it that it didn't stick around. Thanks secure boot from keeping the normies away from easy options.
>>
>>60075015
How does a unified desktop environment being about compatibility? If a program doesn't run due to library versions, a person just needs to dump working ones somewhere and define the location before execution.
>>
>>60075937
And your arguments for each statement?
Are they all "Because I said so."?
>>
>>60076222
It'll never be impressive until they figure out superluminal data transmission.
>>
>>60072246
>being this much of an uneducated cuck...
>>
I mean they'd have to be retarded beyond belief to do this, but if they literally turned all of Windows into tablet OS aka no games, office, or desktop applications really, you'd have a mass exodus. Then again, people would just move back to the current windows 10, or Windows 7.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.