[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Arch user here, how long does it take until you don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: background_white.png (265KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
background_white.png
265KB, 2048x1536px
New Arch user here, how long does it take until you don't need to consult archwiki every 5 seconds to do some basic shit?

Also the default awesome theme looks shite.
>>
You'll never stop consulting the arch wiki.
>>
>>60067308

Awesome was shit to begin with. Save yourself from wasting time and just install a DE. Then you can stop looking at the goddamn wiki and actually get some work done - which is the sole purpose of a computer anyways.
>>
File: awesome.png (1002KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
awesome.png
1002KB, 1366x768px
>>60067308
default awesome is shit, with a little work it can be decent
https://github.com/copycat-killer/awesome-copycats
https://github.com/romockee/powerarrow
https://github.com/stobenski/pro

>how long does it take until you don't need to consult archwiki every 5 seconds to do some basic shit?
Never ends, mostly because somtimes you tweak some shit and you don't touch it for at least a year and you forget how to do it but you remember that there was a wiki article about it

>Also the default awesome theme looks shite.
yes it is. Fuck them.
>>
>how long does it take until you don't need to consult archwiki every 5 seconds to do some basic shit?

Around 2 weeks. Then you should be quite happy with how you are setup and would not need to do much and all the shit you did is in shell history, so no longer need wiki if you want to get to that one command you used 3 days ago..

I dont even remember the last time I used arch wiki.
>>
>>60067506
Tiling wm virgin confirmed.
>>
>>60068086
why not tmux
>>
It's been two years, and I've had job offers, helped tons of people, and stopped going to the wiki as often, but I still visit when I'm installing something I've never used before.
>>
Just wait until pacman inevitably inverts trying to update itself and you boot to a black screen, OP.
>>
File: koala.jpg (38KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
koala.jpg
38KB, 500x667px
>>60067308
Oh man... why you fell for arch meme???

Install SourceMage, this is what all power users use.
>>
>>60067308
depends. most stuff just worked for me. after installing there isn't much arch specific stuff, so I knew how to do everything, (like installing X, configuring audio settings, network, etc.)
If you're completely new to linux in general, you'll have to look up more, but that's not arch's fault. you'd have to do that with all the other minimal distros.
If you don't want to do that, you should install Ubuntu or Mint. They have a more beginner friendly out of the box experience.

>default awesome theme looks shite
awesomewm is kinda made for ricing. no one uses the default. it's kinda like emacs, you're supposed to either create your own config or copy someone else's and tinker with it.
install spectrwm if you want a tiling wm with nice defaults.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.