[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I think I should upgrade my router. Would it be a good idea

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1424454494167.jpg (50KB, 448x578px) Image search: [Google]
1424454494167.jpg
50KB, 448x578px
I think I should upgrade my router.

Would it be a good idea to just build my own, or should I buy one?
>>
Build one if you've already got parts and shit lying around and don't mind increased power consumption. Otherwise just buy an off-the-shelf one.

It really doesn't matter.
>>
Buy one of these little PfSense boxes
>>
Just find a cheap computer, either lying around or online with a NIC that's fast enough for your needs, along with an access point that fits your requirements. Stick pfSense on the computer and grab a switch, and you'll be good to go.
>>
I've been using the WRT54G with DD-WRT for literal ages now. I've yet to run into any issues, other than the fact that the RAM on the router is constantly maxed out, but it doesn't effect my speeds at all.
>>
>>60053881
If you want and need a NAS/home server then you should build your own. If you do not want that then you should absolutely just go buy an off the shelf one or get a used one close to free.

And if you're in Sweden then you can have a WRT54GL one for free, I have 8 of those in the basement (not paying international shipping for you to have them, though).

A home server box with a motherboard and CPU and 2-5 ethernet cards and a bunch of harddrives in it does draw some power. This is what I personally use since I do like to have a 24/7 server that also runs things like YaCy, Bitcoin, Tor and other things. It's also a NAS. This box is online all day every day and that adds up over the year.

A simple router box off the shelf draws perhaps 5W continuously and that's nothing compared to any computer system. This is more true the older your computer is.

If you just want a router then the cheapest way to get one is a flee-market or used. You can probably find one for $2-5. The reason for this is that Wirelss AC is now the new thing. If you don't care about wireless then you can buy a wireless router and turn that off and just use it as a router. One which only has Wireless G or Wireless N should work just fine if you only want routing and and there are plenty of those thrown or given away when people upgrade to wireless AC.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.