[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /g/ I started learning programming in my youth but never committed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 1492639737937.jpg (9KB, 300x137px) Image search: [Google]
1492639737937.jpg
9KB, 300x137px
So /g/ I started learning programming in my youth but never committed to it and I need to start fr scratch. What is the best language for beginners, most versatile, etc. Give me your opinions. I will be using code academy to learn again.
>>
When I was in your shoes I decided on Python. It was okay. The Codecademy course for it, however, was awful.

If you don't remember much of anything from your youth and can't try to teach yourself from documentation as a result, maybe try Ruby instead.
>>
>>60051311
What is Ruby used for? Is it general purpose like python? Or is it more heavily used for one task than another?
>>
>>60051287
Turbo Pascal
>>
>>60051356
General purpose. However Rails, a web language, was written in Ruby. Makes a good pivot point for you if you decide to specialize.
>>
>>60051287
If you go to pretty much any school they will teach you Java. So there are tons of beginner resources for it.

I'd highly recommend it over Ruby. Ruby will give you brain damage and give you bad habits a statically typed language like Java would help avoid
>>
>>60051588
What are the benefits of Java over something like Python or other general purpose languages?
>>
>>60051624
Java and Ruby is pure OOP, so it isn't as messy as python. However of those 3 only Java has a decent type system, which I highly recommend to beginners trying to learn good habits (and it catches errors for you before you even run the code!)

Java is very general purpose and will get you a job in any city. It's also very forgiving unlike C and C++
>>
>>60051624

Ubiquity, if nothing else. So you'll have decent IDEs and documentation available for Java. Python has good stuff too, but Java has the edge for it's sheer age and penetration.

To be honest, C#/Visual Studio isn't a bad beginner combo either. That's my personal choice. An upside is that Microsoft has .NET used in numerous places, so it's extremely portable now and C# is very akin to Java. So if you learn C#, you can master Java in a weekend.

Ultimately, you're going to get a lot of answers with this question; at some point, you will need to make a choice based on what you want.
>>
It's astonishing how badly informed/misleading /g/ is about things like this. One day I'll start to make a giant collage about this shit.
>>
>>60051717
Le epic black snek book for non-existent LISP dialect amirite xD
>>
>>60051287
PHP cause you can do everything like "IF and "WHILE" and it can print other programming languages like HTML and CSS and has everything and it runs everywhere you want.
>>
File: 1493047642548.jpg (8KB, 190x188px) Image search: [Google]
1493047642548.jpg
8KB, 190x188px
>>60051747
>>
>>60051717
And your suggestion?
>>
>>60051744
certainly not LISP, especially for a beginner, you shitposter
>>60051771
and certainly not ruby, one of the worst languages used on the web after PHP, dying more and more every day.
>>60051695
>So if you learn C#, you can master Java in a weekend.
They are similar languages, but that's just plain wrong. You may learn the small differences in syntax and some differences in semantics, but you certainly won't learn about the whole ecosystem in a weekend, and if you go ahead and program confident that you mastered Java in a couple of days, you will run into a *lot* of subtle issues that you don't have the slightest clue how to fix. I have a C# i plan to read, and it's about 1000 pages. Many java books are of similar size. There will be literally hundreds of subtle differences that you won't get unless you study well both languages.
>>
>>60051914
I really hate there is no Var in Java natively
>>
>>60051747
Debugging sucks balls though.
If your just learning I'd go with c#, or python, but all your shit will look ugly if you use python. Fuck java.
>>
File: Sci's CS reading list.jpg (3MB, 2500x3500px) Image search: [Google]
Sci's CS reading list.jpg
3MB, 2500x3500px
>>60051287
>What is the best language for beginners, most versatile

C++17

>I will be using code academy to learn again.

If you're a grown up, read books.
>>
Just my suggestion based on what's worked for me. Depending on your end goals, YMMV. I started with C++ which was a good middle ground between high and low level to learn data structures and algorithms. I then learned C in conjunction with C++ which gives greater insight to lower-level/behind the scenes operations. After that, if you need them, higher level languages are a breeze to learn and you can focus on OOP and other principles and paradigms of programming in a high level languages.

There are plenty of videos on YouTube and books to find free copies of online to supplement your learning. Textbooks used for CS curriculums, while more dry, generally shouldn't steer you wrong or teach bad practices. Good luck
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.