[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've written a small program that I would like to release

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: pleasesitonmyface.png (139KB, 338x304px) Image search: [Google]
pleasesitonmyface.png
139KB, 338x304px
I've written a small program that I would like to release to the internet for free. I'm struggling to find answers to some questions though. How do I host the file for download in a way that people can have some level of trust that it's not malicious? It's not something that I think very many people would use or care about, so I can't really expect any amount of active users that would visibly vouch for the program's legitimacy. I also noticed that smart screen on windows will complain about running unknown programs when it is downloaded. I've found a little about that, microsoft has a metric relating to number of installs a program gets, and eventually you build up enough trust if it's not malicious and the warnings go away.

I've read about the different licenses available to you and copyright rules, which seems to make sense, but as far as hosting and getting a program release started from nothing, I can't seem to find much. I know I wouldn't download a random file from a hosting site I found in a link. I know people put their stuff on github, open source, but at least for the moment I don't really want to do that. I know it's silly, and my work isn't anything that couldn't be replicated easily by some pajeet, but I'm just curious about the process. I found out that you can copyright a computer program for 35 bucks, which I thought was cool, but I'm not doing that with this project because I don't think it's worth it. If i can find people who like it and it gets any sort of traction, I was thinking about putting a simple paypal donation link at the bottom. I hate ads, so I wouldn't do anything beyond that.

Would any /g/ devs here care to share experiences/insights from their wisdom of having created something and released it and hoping even one anon appreciates your modest work?
>>
how to make a .deb and push it to ubuntu - the post

also, what is the program about
>>
The code is copyrighted as soon as you write it. Anyone telling you that you need to pay for a copyright is either mistaken or trying to scam you If you want to share it, youd want to put some sort of license on it. There are a bunch of different kinds of license you can use as a template deciding what you want. (Distributing your software with a license doesn't cost anything either.)
>>
github.com

Just release it closed source there.
>>
>>60046162
Just put the source on github with the precompiled binary (Then look into making hashes to verify the binaries)
The GPL license is the most free license
>>
put it on github

>I know people put their stuff on github, open source, but at least for the moment I don't really want to do that.

ok, then no one will download it unless it's really useful and fills a niche

>It's not something that I think very many people would use or care about

ok, then no one will download it
>>
The project was something i did in c# after I got bored with my programming classes' assignments. I have made some semi-useful things before, but none of them had much of a GUI to speak of. I learned a lot about making windows applications doing it, even though it's still fairly simple. Did I hear something recently about .net framework being written for linux?

The program is a Debt calculator, much like the billions of loan calculators out there. But the main point of mine is that you can enter different debts and have it rollover monthly payments of a debt when it's paid off into the next debt in the order you set. It calculates time to pay off each debt, and total interest paid, and so you can change the payment amounts, and the order/amount of payments to rollover and see which payoff strategy is best for your situation.
>>
>>60046225
>>60046228
Thanks, i guess i didn't know you could do that. I've never used github before, I've just always heard it referred to in relation to it's massive open source community, which i would love to contribute to but I'm not sure I have enough knowledge to really help much.

>>60046234
Yeah, I know. I would just generally feel like a shmuck if i released something and someone else found a way to make money off of it. Not so much with this project but going forward I was curious how people release things. Most the software I've used had enough visible people who've used and talked about the program I could be fairly certain it was safe.
>>
>go to github.com
>make an account
>upload your code
>make it gpl II or
>>
>>60046162
You already own the copyright to everything you "create", in this case the computer code. If you want to show your sincerity that your code is trustworthy, particularly as a literal-who, the best way to go about it is to go open source. However, going open source =/= abandoning your rights. You can choose a license that'll retain your copyright, effectively preventing others from taking your code and forking it.

Even GPL works for this. Sure, other people can fork it, but they can't relicense your source code without your permission or use it in closed source software without violating the license, while you, as the original copyright holder, retains the right to relicense the software whenever you want (though the GPL'd versions of the software would still be redistributable under the license...).

But generally speaking, I don't think you have anything to fear from doing this.

>>60046296
>I would just generally feel like a shmuck if i released something and someone else found a way to make money off of it.
If someone uses your source code in proprietary, closed-source software without your permission it's possible to figure this out by analyzing the behaviour of the software on a low level. And if they don't have your permission (granted either by yourself personally, or via a permissive license), you could seek legal action against them if that were the case.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.