[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 37

File: 1466434094337.png (79KB, 512x171px) Image search: [Google]
1466434094337.png
79KB, 512x171px
Previous thread: >>60036308

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
https://wiki.archlinux.org
https://wiki.gentoo.org

/g/'s Wiki on GNU/Linux:
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
https://wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
https://directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
http://www.commandlinefu.com/
http://bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
http://mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
http://linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
http://www.grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
https://prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: >>>/t/749768
/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: >>>/t/713097

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
http://fglt.nl && https://p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy
>>
What's systemd?
What's the botnet?
What's bash?
New guy installing Xubuntu on Windows10 so I can install Sourcemage so I can install gentoo.
>>
Anyone use Ubuntu with just open-box or i3?
>>
File: 1475939316252.png (70KB, 312x402px) Image search: [Google]
1475939316252.png
70KB, 312x402px
Source Mage GNU/Linux
>>
File: 1480074023397.png (242KB, 499x349px) Image search: [Google]
1480074023397.png
242KB, 499x349px
>>
Why does PID 1 refuse to be killed through basically any means? Is there a way to kill it? just out of interest. I tried killing it with basically every signal and nothing happens.
>>
File: 1493010404105.png (37KB, 1127x685px) Image search: [Google]
1493010404105.png
37KB, 1127x685px
>>60045832
why is systemd so bad?

all my coworkers like to crack jokes about systemd but no one could explain me what it did, and most importantly, why it was bad/good.

I understand it's a complex topic so you can keep it short desu
>>
File: sysdshit.png (122KB, 1228x754px) Image search: [Google]
sysdshit.png
122KB, 1228x754px
>>60046046
http://without-systemd.org/wiki/index.php/Arguments_against_systemd
>>
>>60046031
killing it would probably result in something like a system halt
I don't see why you'd wanna try that
if you want to go initless, add init=/bin/sh to the kernel parameters in grub when you boot
>>
>>60046101
is there any reason not to just do this, start all the services myself, and then startx manually?
>>
>>60046119
For what purpose?
>>
What would be the general architecture of a script that sends a broadcast udp packet on a given port, then prints out the hosts that replied?
>>
>>60046119
I tried that myself, got everything to work except xorg and wayland (weston)
some stuff like audio and framebuffer access required setting the permissions for those files for regular users
also, udev cannot function without systemd, so when you plug a usb, it won't be visible in /dev
>>
>>60046119
is there any reason not to just write all your software yourself?
why use something someone /else/ made?
this is what you're asking
>>
>>60046101
>>60046119
That's basically single user mode isn't it?
>>
>>60046154
when you boot with /bin/sh as your init, you're logged in as root and all you get is the console, which is like a tty, but lower (the thing that appears right after grub, before any login prompt, where init systems dump all that text, the device file is /dev/console)
from there you can do almost anything you'd do in a regular tty, but some keyboard shortcuts don't work (like ctrl+c and such) and you'd be in trouble if something took a shit and you couldn't change the tty and kill it
from there you can enter a tty though
just type
agetty tty1 linux

you'd need to type that for each tty you want to use
from there you can login as a regular user if you want

I'm not sure how single user mode is defined though
>>
>>60046264
Yeah some of the old Linux stuff I don't have a definition of like single user mode, and I honestly don't know what runlevels are or for.
I would personally just define single user as being dropped into root without needing a password
>>
>>60046300
>i dont know what runlevels are
See.
This is the world we live in with systemd
>>
when do we start calling it systemd/linux
>>
>>60046300
runlevels are a concept within init systems like sysv init
systemd has an equivalent concept known as targets
each runlevel/target requires certain services to be running
they're basically labels that kinda define the system state regarding services that are running
that's convenient because you can change the system state with one command
if you're on runlevel 5 (or graphical target), you can issue a single command to drop to runlevel 3 (multi user target), which is just terminating all the services required for a graphical session
if you want to go into graphical session again, you don't need to start service by service manually, you can start them all at once by telling the system to go into runlevel 5 (or graphical target)
>>
>>60046391
I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, systemd/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, systemd plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning systemd system made useful by the systemd corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the systemd system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of systemd which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the systemd system, developed by the systemd Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the systemd operating system: the whole system is basically systemd with Linux added, or systemd/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of systemd/Linux!
>>
>>60046310
Runlevels were dumb and deserve to be left in the past.
>>
>>60046522
why?
>>
>>60046391
more like systemd/systemd
>>
>>60046522
>>60046310

Systemd has a "run level" concept, it's called targets.
I am also willing to be money that this >>60046310 guy has not the slightest clue about run-levels, except that "uhm, it's, like, when you start your computer and shut it down". He just likes to scratch the surface of technical topics so he can appear smart.
>>
I have a laptop with Intel HD 3000 and Radeon 6650m. I'm thinking about installing either Ubuntu or Debian. How well does Linux work with switchable graphic cards? Is it possible to turn off iGPU in Linux and use only dedicated GPU?
>>
How fucked am I, /g/? I bought a Dell Precision T1700 at an auction a year or two ago and I keep on getting this same issue.

In Slackware I'll get a segmentation fault while running Firefox. It makes it impossible to run. The same thing happens when I'm compiling and when I'm using Gimp. Everything works once a reboot, but, after an hour or so, pretty much everything starts to segfault again. I've installed Slackware multiple times, with different filesystems and partition schemes. In fact, I've had the same exact issue on Debian and Devuan. When installing both Gentoo and Funtoo, systemrescuecd will consistently segfault during emerge -auDN @world. First it'll segfault while compiling, and, if I run the command again, it will imediately, consistently segfault, and Firefox will crash, too. What should I do?
>>
File: Why don't you try Win 10 LTS.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
Why don't you try Win 10 LTS.gif
2MB, 500x281px
Why is it advised to run -Syu when wanting to update a package, Instead of simply updating that single package?
For example, If I want to update to the latest Firefox, why don't I run
pacman -S firefox
>>
>>60047136
I believe this command also updates the repos and updates all old packages, so unless you want to type that command for each package that needs upgrading use syu
but im not arch user so dont take my word for it
>>
>>60047136
because you probably have more that one package to update and you need to run `pacman -Sy` to update your package lists anyway
>>
>>60047136
-S is fine if you know your lists are still up to date
if you haven't touched anything in a while, you should use -Syu, otherwise;
a. it could fail to find the package(s), if they have been updated since your last list sync
b. packages are made with the assumption that everything else is up to date, so the thing being installed may not work if other things are not updated at the same time
>>
>>60047245
Then wouldn't -Syy solve that?
Also what if I need an older package?

For example application A needs Version 2.00 of package C, while application B needs version 5.00 of package C.

How do I go about that?
>>
It's been a while since I used Linux, and even then, only casually. Debian doesn't come with sudo now, is there another way I'm supposed to do things, or just install sudo?
>>
>>60047136
sometimes listed package from offline database is outdated
for example, when you
pacman -S foobar
, pacman will download foobar-1.0, while in the repository it's already 2.0, so download would be failed, because pacman download the package according to offline database
and to update the offline database you need to
pacman -Sy
>>
>>60047306
that shouldn't happen on an up to date system
>>
>>60047316
use su and install sudo if you think you need it
>>
>>60047306
>Then wouldn't -Syy solve that?
this just means "force update package lists"
it doesn't update packages
and you rarely need to force it, you should only do that if your list files are damaged or something

>For example application A needs Version 2.00 of package C, while application B needs version 5.00 of package C.
this isn't something a user should need to worry about
typically what happens in arch is that the older version is split off into a new package, for example, "libpng12" for libpng 1.2.x instead of "libpng" for the latest version, and packages needing 1.2.x will depend on the the new package instead
>>
When I boot I have to do fsck /dev/sda2 in rootfs (it just automaticly boots into it)
what is causing this problem?
>>
If i do a minimal Centos 7 install, I can install kde plasma simply using the command yum groupinstall kde... right?
The yum install commands automatically know where the installers are on the web right?
>>
>>60047393
just use arch
>>
>>60047316
nothing wrong about installing sudo.
>>
>>60047333
It happens when an older package doesn't get updated.
>>
>>60047411
>when an older package doesn't get updated
well that's not an up to date system, is it?
>>
did you
pacman -Syu

today?
>>
>>60047356
>>60047418
What if the application still calls for the package with same name as the latest version?

Application A calls latest version of libpng with "libpng" while it should call "libpng12"
Or if the older package are no longer in the repo since it got updated?
>>
>>60047461
it's the maintainers' job to make sure things like that don't happen
>>
>>60047461
>What if the application still calls for the package with same name as the latest version?
if it does that and shouldn't, then report it as a bug (with the package)
>Application A calls latest version of libpng with "libpng" while it should call "libpng12"
applications don't load libraries by the names of the packages they came in
>Or if the older package are no longer in the repo since it got updated?
if something is removed from the repos, then it is no longer supported, so you're on your own
>>
>>60047461
>>60047472
adding to these, due to the nature of rolling release, there can be gaps between library and application releases, where things are temporarily out of sync
most of the time you can just ignore it and stay on the older version until things are back in sync
>>
>>60047479
I see.
I have issue running an application that require QT 4 while I'm using QT 5.
>>
>>60047506
>most of the time you can just ignore it and stay on the older version until things are back in sync
How do I do that?
Do you mean I downgrade or something?
>>
>>60047515
you needn't concern yourself with the jobs of the maintainers
shut up and enjoy your distro
>>
>>60047515
no, i mean just let it fail to upgrade until the dependencies are valid again

for example, lets say libpng was updated, and something you currently have installed depended on exactly the version you have
libpng will fail to update, as doing so will break the requirements of that other thing
most of the time, the solution is to just ignore it and wait until that thing has been updated to handle the newer version of libpng, or at least changed so it depends on an alternate libpng version package
>>
Bash question:
width=640
height=360

# doesn't work as expected
# only prints 360
echo $widthx$height

# works, prints 640x360
# but is it correct?
echo $((width))x$((height))

Why does 'x' eat '640x' in the first example?
>>
>>60047554
how is bash meant to differentiate "$widthx" from "$width"?
use ${width}x${height}
>>
>>60047554
>>60047570
as for
Why does 'x' eat '640x' in the first example?

bash is getting the variable name by reading every valid variable name character after $, which is "widthx" in this case
you haven't set "widthx" to anything, so nothing is printerd
>>
>>60047541
What if it was the other way around?
For example an application was updated but it needed the newer version of libpng?
But libpng won't update because it will cause conflicting with another application?
>>
>>60047025
some hardware failure
monitor cpu and system temperatures (maybe it overheats during high load like compilation), check RAM (memtest), drives (SMART,full scan), see if replacing the PSU help
>>
File: daisuki.jpg (160KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
daisuki.jpg
160KB, 1920x1080px
/fglt/-chan daisuki~
>>
>>60047596
that application won't be updated until everything can be satisfied
>>
>>60047587
>bash is getting the variable name by reading every valid variable name character after $, which is "widthx" in this case you haven't set "widthx" to anything, so nothing is printerd
Ok. I assumed (derp) would only point to variables I had defined.

I was trying to Google search what 'x' did in bash, thinking it was a command of some sort that I needed to escape.

But it makes sense now.

>>60047570
>use ${width}x${height}
Thanks Anon.
>>
How often you should run -Syu?
>>
>>60047554
>2017
>Not knowing how parenthesis work
>>
anyone on Arch know how to install Discord without using the AUR?

I really hate using the AUR because I don't want shit being broken due to packages maintained by random neckbeards
>>
>>60047637
cry
>>
>>60047629
I run it about 2 times a day, whenever I remember
>>
>>60047637
In general, you can read the package itself to see what it's doing.
>>
>>60047629
I have some gnome tool installed idk how and why but I get a popupp saying how many updates I have
its a nice gui
I run it 1 time a day but update later updates with that tool
>>
Is Xubuntu actually different than Ubuntu, or is it just Ubuntu pre-set to use Xfce? Like, do they share repos, or does Xubuntu use it's own?
>>
>>60047637
you're a retard, the one from the aur is the same one you'd download from the upstream
the only difference is that you've got a nice pkgbuild that someone else has written for you so you can install it as a package through pacman
>>
>>60047637
>packages maintained by random neckbeards
kek do you even know what the AUR is?
there is 0 actual packages in what you call the "Arch User Repository"
>>
>>60047633
>Not knowing how parenthesis work
Well the double parenthesis worked when I needed to do some math. So I started using it everywhere and took a shot with this problem.

#!/bin/sh
#--------------------------------------------------------------------
# 4-24-2017
# Create a black image with a white rectangle
# The origin pixel in IM is (0,0)
out_file="alpha-04.png"

width=640
height=360

# thickness of black perimeter around image
thickness=40

# starting coordinate of white rectangle
x0=$((thickness))
y0=$((thickness))

# bottom right coordinate of white rectangle
x1=$((width-thickness-1))
y1=$((height-thickness-1))

echo "point0 = $x0,$y0"
echo "point1 = $x1,$y1"
echo "rectangle = $((x1-x0+1)) X $((y1-y0+1))"

convert \
-size 640x360 \
canvas:black \
-fill white \
-stroke white \
-draw "rectangle $x0,$y0 $x1,$y1" \
-fill yellow \
-stroke yellow \
-draw "point $x0,$y0" \
-draw "point $x1,$y1" \
$out_file

# [2,278 bytes]
# verified with mtpaint

But I guess I went a little crazy with it.
>>
>>60047637
arch is for advanced users only
>>
can someone fill me in on the whole systemd dilemma
>>
>>60047676
if the files needed to generate a package doesn't count as "a package" as well, then i guess distros like gentoo have no packages, since that's all they provide
>>
>>60047732
no, gentoo has it's own repos and patches
the AUR isn't a real repo because it contains no actual packages
it just contains build scripts
>>
>>60047750
the AUR can also contain files alongside the PKGBUILD, like .desktop files, patches, icons, etc
they work the same as gentoo packages
>>
>>60047663
All Ubuntu spins are just Ubuntu with a different default DE.
>>
>>60038878
Not that anon, but....

cli = command life interface, terminal

ytdl, mpv and ffmpeg are all programs that can be ran from the terminal.

I think that anon was trying to say that the cli offers advanced options for more experienced users.
>>
File: 1474776589011.png (65KB, 2000x487px) Image search: [Google]
1474776589011.png
65KB, 2000x487px
What does /fglt/ think of the alpine linux?
>>
>>60048011
I am looking into trying it. It looks cool, and it is completely free of GNU components by default (uses busybox+musl).
>>
>>60047663
So nothing is different, it would be literally the same as installing Ubuntu, uninstalling Unity, and installing Xfce and it's Ubuntu theme?
>>
>>60048689
Pretty much, but why would you do that if you can have Xfce already installed by default?
>>
>>60048707
Just wanted to be sure. If there were other differences, I would have preferred to just switch the DE myself, so more of the stuff I'll inevitably run into issues with will be the same as what I'd find on Google.
>>
how the fuck do you make fonts on arch look good? is the infinality package in aur safe to use?
>>
what's a simple CLI way to extract rars on GNU/linux?
>>
>>60049160
install unrar
>>
File: 1478663000259.png (42KB, 747x538px) Image search: [Google]
1478663000259.png
42KB, 747x538px
Post yfw xfce 4.14 is about to depend on consolekit/systemd :^)
>>
>>60049223
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSbNumR9Z8k
this face tbqh
>>
>>60049223
FUCK
I was thinking that it would be one of the last DEs to depend on systemd. Also, is KDE going to depend on it eventually/does it already? At least elogind seems functional enough for now. what does logind even offer gnome and xfce that they couldn't do when systemd wasn't around?
>>
How can I escape from Poetteringware? It seems like almost every distro, DE, etc. is going to depend on it.
>>
So i installed arch on my system but there is a glaring problem. I cant seem to install my catalyst AMD drivers and the free drivers just crahs when i start a x session. I just wanted a minimal clean OS thees dependency issues are getting in my way. Has anyone here had better success with the amd drivers
>>
>>60049582
switch to a distro that defaults to using something that is not systemd for init and service management, because it's bloated and buggy. IMO it's not good enough to use a fork of a distro, like devuan. They're still totally controlled by upstream. Eventually debian will integrate more with systemd. after that it's really pretty unnecessary to avoid poettering's and red hat's software. Pulseaudio is in my experience, usable but unnecessary software. Just use a DE that doesn't depend on pulse, and a distro that doesn't preinstall. Other poettering/red hat ware includes dbus, and udev, which at this point are basically inescapable on every distro. There's nothing really wrong with them either. red hat is also one of the largest contributors to the kernel code. there aren't very many DEs that don't depend on poetteringware, so you should probably use a wm like i3 or openbox,
>>
>>60049223
It's going to take a few years before it's released anyway.
>>
>>60049582
Gentoo or move to *BSD.
>>
>>60049582
if you don't want to compile everything you can:
join BSD-cucks or
join Void or Devuan autists or
join the Slackware cult (it doesn't have systemd *for now*, but it may include it in future version since Patrick isn't a systemd-hater)
>>
>>60049662
Does NixOS have systemd?

Probably? Void it is then
>>
>>60049681
ONE OF US
>>
>>60049681
>Does NixOS have systemd?
Yes
In fact that reminds me, I forgot to mention GuixSD as another strain of autism (SD does NOT stand systemd)
>>
>>60049398
Some parts of the KDE desktop can optionally use systemd, but no hard dependencies. It's mostly like that due to KDE's ties with BSD.
>>
why timers when cron was 10x easier
>>
>>60048200
>musl
That's not only just slow, that's java level slow. A true shame for a C library
>>
>>60049662
basically this guy is right. if you're too dumb for gentoo or don't want to compile, your only real choices are void and slackware. Slack probably will get systemd eventually (Pat doesn't really like systemd but he's not idealistic enough to safely say slack will never have it. if KDE and xfce end up needing it, or a lot of software depends on it, he'll probably include it to be pragmatic.) Void and Slack are both great for now, use them if you can. I do worry that eventually void might die, because it has so few users and a bus factor of about 2, and that slack will eventually include systemd. Void and slackware are the only truly simple distros (alpine also deserves a mention, but in my experience desktops really need glibc, and it's nice to have the full-featured, if slightly bloated gnu coreutils)
>>
>>60049627
get them from AMD.
>>
>>60049706
Why would you ever want to "optionally" depend on something? All it does is make it easier for a lazy developer to later turn it into a required dependency.
>>
>>60049832
Won't they have the same dependency issues. And how i dont have a GUI becuse my drivers aren't working.
>>
>>60049875
By optionally I mostly mean compatible with.
KDE can work with systemd and its components as well as it can work with other init systems and components. However it does not have any hard dependencies on any of them.

It's unlikely though that KDE will ever get hard dependencies on systemd. KDE doesn't care about systemd, or any init system for that matter.
>>
>>60049911
I installed them headless mining rig years ago. it can be done
>>
>>60049952
Debian didn't care either, and look at it now.
>>
>>60049967
>a distro = a de
it's a different matter for distro maintainers. They get to deal with the shitstorm that is init scripts. Hence why distros often focus on a single init system, or at least on a number of them that reuse the same scripts.

KDE literally gets to flip the bird to all of that and ignore it, because KDE is nothing more than a self-contained set of software. They don't fucking care because it's outside of their scope.
>>
>>60045902
Yep, use Ubuntu with i3 at work and Ubuntu with Xmonad at home.
>>
>>60049627
>the free drivers just crahs when i start a x session
something is very wrong since those drivers run on almost anything
what card do you have? if it's one of the new R* xxx ones you need the free amdgpu driver

also, Catalyst is deprecated
the version in AUR is patched to work on newer kernels, but there's only so much you can do
anyway, arch clearly tells you what's wrong - if you want the driver, you'll have to downgrade xorg
>>
>>60050119
I have a r9 380 openbox launches but when i right click to pop up the menu it turns my screen black and flickers. Gnome h
Just turns my screens black. Xorg doesn't have anything in its logs telling me it crashed.
>>
>>60050170
R9 380 uses the GCN 3 architecture, meaning it's fully supported by the free amdgpu driver or the proprietary amdgpu-pro driver (which is not officially supported on Arch).

Pretty much just install xf86-video-amdgpu and it should take care of itself.

More info: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AMDGPU
>>
File: scrot.png (6KB, 492x312px) Image search: [Google]
scrot.png
6KB, 492x312px
Based busybox.
>>
>>60050278
>GNU/Linux
>GNU
but why? you just replaced the largest part of GNU
>>
File: 1486650793107.jpg (3MB, 2346x2346px) Image search: [Google]
1486650793107.jpg
3MB, 2346x2346px
>>60050278
delet
>>
>>60050304
busybox emulates, it doesn't replace
>>
redpill me on fedora
is it the better ubuntu?
>>
I updated arch and got this issue
 gstreamer0.10-good-plugins: installing libsoup (2.58.0-1) breaks dependency 'libsoup-gnome'

how do I fix this?
>>
>>60050530
>I updated arch
>got this issue
That's normal.
>>
File: systemd.png (309KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
systemd.png
309KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>60050563
nvm fixed it
>>
>>60050594
clean your rubbish bin your filthy fag
>>
>>60050730
How?
>>
>>60050791
uninstall gstreamer, shits useless anyways
>>
>>60050796
there are two versions of gstreamer commonly shipped in distros
the one in >>60050530 is the older-than-dirt 0.10 version, which you shouldn't be using anyway
>>
>arch teaches you about linux
>>
>>60050830
I checked the dependencies and realized that. Thanks.
>>60050871
I've learned more about linux using arch. Mint did not teach me much.
>>
>>60050871
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60050530

>installing packages outside of the official repository

Nothing to see here, just someone thinking the AUR is hot shit, installing every retarded thing from it and then experiencing problems.

>>60050563

You might want to kill yourself to prevent wasting precious 4chan megabytes with your meme comments.
>>
>>60049223
That means you can either use consolekit or logind (systemd) as the session manager. They are going to have compatibility with both, so you will be still able to use consolekit instead of logind. Consolekit is shit tho :^)
>>
>>60050278
Fuck. Toybox is the only option now.
>>
File: gnulag.jpg (334KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gnulag.jpg
334KB, 1920x1080px
>>60051096
>FRIENDLY gnu/linux thread
>>
File: angry-pepe-gun.jpg (27KB, 486x486px) Image search: [Google]
angry-pepe-gun.jpg
27KB, 486x486px
>>60045832
>don't call it a grave, is the future you choose.
pretty accurate desu senpai
>>
>>60050278
Just found this: http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2013-September/079749.html
That mail thread has some good truths like http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2013-September/079764.html

It is a shame it wasn't changed.
>>
>>60046522
WHAT!?
>>
>>60051279
It's there to remind us how petty FSF is.
>>
>>60051279
The thing he doesn't get is: Even if a system has 0 (zero) GNU in it, it doesn't magically turn a kernel into a complete operating system.
What busybox does iś emulating parts of the GNU system, which is.
>>
>>60051360
No. It's reimplementing UNIX utilities.
GNU is also just another reimplementation of UNIX, even if it's bloated beyond compare.
>>
>>60051399
>bloated
You have no idea what you're talking about.
>>
>>60051418
Oh please.
Compare POSIX and/or SUS coreutils specifications with all the crap that made its way into GNU.
It's so bloated it would float on water.
>>
I know this is the GNU/Linux thread but does anybody use pic related?
>inb4 muh unix philosophy
>>
>>60051399
what are some examples of GNU/bloat?
>>
Excuse my noob question, what is the problem with non-free drivers? They just make work the hardware, right? Can drivers connect to the internet and do bad things? If yes has that ever happened?
>>
>>60051726
Proprietary software is like schrödingers botnet: You don't know if there's botnet in the box, so its both: botnet and not botnet.
>>
>>60051726
>Can drivers connect to the internet and do bad things?
yes, even your cpu can (if it's a post 2008 cpu with a management engine, this engine has full system access)
>>
>>60051581
We used to use it at work on all of our workstations, good old days.
>>
I really miss the list of windows that you can get in tmux when using i3. Is there a better window manager to use?
>>
>>60051279
yes http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/busybox/2013-September/079761.html
>>
>>60050484
No difference really, do you prefer apt or dnf? Do you prefer apparmor or SELinux? Do you prefer .deb or .rpm?
>>
>>60051933
>t. GNU shill
>>
File: 1491071307961.png (250KB, 740x557px) Image search: [Google]
1491071307961.png
250KB, 740x557px
>>60047599
Hello red haired demon
>>
File: 1491967858711.jpg (127KB, 537x532px) Image search: [Google]
1491967858711.jpg
127KB, 537x532px
>>60049223
>>
wasted 3 days playing around with arch

whatta shit distro
>>
>>60052494
should have install source mage
>>
>>60050304
"-o" is a gnu-specific, entirely useless argument, it's just there for compatibility
>>
Reminder: be an adult and use an adult distro (not Arch).
>>
File: is-pre-alpha-stable.png (394KB, 597x594px) Image search: [Google]
is-pre-alpha-stable.png
394KB, 597x594px
What do you guys and gals think of my new meme?
>>
>>60052662
What about Puppy Linux?
Hanna Montana Linux?
Biebiean?
>>
>>60052683
it doesnt feel like the right typography.
>>
>>60052683
kek
>>
>>60052683
needs more green, anyway I am just saving them since you first posted
>>
File: patrick-raising-hand-face.png (168KB, 366x366px) Image search: [Google]
patrick-raising-hand-face.png
168KB, 366x366px
>>60052718
>>60052701
>>60052699
Have the template.
>>
File: 1341075587292.jpg (5KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1341075587292.jpg
5KB, 251x251px
>>60052734
I can see the fatguy now
>>
>>60052718
What? Those were the first ones I posted.

I'm not this person >>60045963
>>
So I'm looking to move to Linux but I just can't decide between Ubuntu and Debian. Any advice on how I can choose between the two?
>>
>>60053027
Debian. Ubuntu comes with proprietary software.
>>
>>60053027
Ubuntu. Debian comes without "codecs" by default.
>>
>>60052683
>all these badly cropped pictures that show up recently
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
wtf is this shit, is there some new phone app that does this?
>>
File: 1474220755999.jpg (14KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
1474220755999.jpg
14KB, 470x313px
>>60053053
It does come with codecs. Just not proprietary codecs.
Dumb proprietary poster.
>>
>>60053027
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: 1466509906694.jpg (211KB, 2172x1711px) Image search: [Google]
1466509906694.jpg
211KB, 2172x1711px
>>60053092
Made on gimp desu. The text is from the first result for 'meme generator' on duckduckgo.
>>
>>60048011
>busybox
Unusable garbage.
>>
>>60053027
new into linux?
Ubuntu
>>
>>60053094
I have to admit it does work on my machine, so I take back my recommendation and say Debian
>>
>>60053150
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053118
>gimp
My apologies.
>>
>>60053140
>unusable
how so?
>>60053157
linux* :^)
>>
>>60053202
>GNU SED
$ echo axxx bxx cx | sed 's/\b[a-z]/<&>/g'
<a>xxx <b>xx <c>x

>Meanwhile on BusyBox SED
$ echo axxx bxx cx | sed 's/\b[a-z]/<&>/g'
<a><x><x><x> <b><x><x> <c><x>
>>
>>60053027
windows 7
>>
>>60053202
>GNU AWK
$ awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }'

>Meanwhile on BusyBox AWK
$ awk 'BEGIN { printf "%d\n", 10240000000000/1024 }'
>>
>>60053202
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053261
Linux*
>>
>>60053274
GNU/Linux*
>>
I'm gonna install Xubuntu so I can install source mage so I can install gentoo on my Windows 10
Is this correct?
>>
>>60053293
install ubunut
>>
>>60053278
Linux*
>>
>>60053278
Linux*
>>
>>60053303
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053308
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053314
>>60053319
Linux*
>>
>>60053333
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053337
Linux*
>>
>>60053349
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053302
>there's no tuts for regular ubuntu
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12818191
>>
quality thread
>>
>>60051726
they have the following problems
1. they might just not make hardware work. With closed sores you can never know
2. they cannot be fixed by free software project developers, you have to wait for the developer company to fix it. They might fix it a month later or just won't.
3. proprietary drivers are usually depend on a certain kernel (and in case of graphic drivers xorg) version or versions and don't work with older and -which is the most annoying- newer kernels/xorg. Also they are tend to stop working with newer versions of glibc than the version they were originally linked against.
>>
So I switched to QupZilla, It's pretty neat actually, noticeably quicker than ff and hopefully it doesn't break my themes every release.

Anyways, just like the fucking terrible GTK file dialog that makes Linux as a desktop OS look like utter garbage (thanks GTK devs! you do know shit like firefox and chrome use this terrible piece of software right?), the Qt one isn't much better.

However, I know that with Qt I can force software to use a different file dialog. Now I know about kdialog, but that depends on a whole fucking DE which in turn depends on wayland. Is there *anything* else I can use?
>>
>>60053251
kek
>>
>>60053368
>/v/poll

keep that proprietary javascript and tracking garbage out of fglt
>>
File: 1474534513040.jpg (152KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
1474534513040.jpg
152KB, 900x675px
>>60053395
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60053406
sadly this is the only poll website I know of
>>
error: target not found: exo>=0.11

Can someone tell me what I need to do to fix this? I'm following the Arch wiki page for the AUR.
>>
File: 1465921788374.png (9KB, 591x292px) Image search: [Google]
1465921788374.png
9KB, 591x292px
>>60053368
surly a poll will solve the problem
>>
>>60053424
I'd like to interject for a moment. I compiled my system using clang instead of gcc. I don't use the GNU coreutils. Instead of glibc I use musl. I don't use a boot manager nor do I use bash as my shell.
>>
>>60053436
what are you doing?
makepkg ?
>>
Updating Arch broke Spotify. I love Arch but I don't have the time for it right now.

Suggestions please? Thinking of Debian Testing or OpenSUSE.
>>
>>60053479
>Spotify
nonfree pig disgusting
>>
>>60053479
>Updating Arch broke
That's normal.
>>
>>60053456
Yeah, I'm trying to install an XFCE menu plugin. The wiki page has this command -s --syncdeps to sync the dependencies but it gives the same message
>>
>>60053486
I listen to multiple new albums every day and I don't have time to maintain a pirated music library. Spotify is convenient. There's nothing I'd rather waste 9€ per month on.
>>
>>60053509
link to package?
>>
>>60053479
Debian.
Do you really need to live on the edge?
I suggest debian stable.

Don't use porprietary crapware. What do you mean you don't have time to maintain a library? Isn't it just download the music and add to the collection?
>>
File: 1463776043846.jpg (803KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1463776043846.jpg
803KB, 2048x1536px
>>60053513
Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear words <http://torrentfreak.com/mpaa-banned-from-using-piracy-and-theft-terms-in-hotfile-trial-131129/>.
>>
>>60053513
what is wrong with your spotify ?
>>
>>60053559
>>60053424
birbs :3
>>
>>60053505
It's broken multiple times before, I'm not surprised or anything. I'm always able to fix it and frankly, I enjoy fixing it. I just don't have the time right now. So please, stop bullying and help instead.

I mostly code, use GIMP/Krita and listen to music on my computer. Being able to play some native games every now and then wouldn't hurt.

I don't want to deal with tons of bullshit every two years when a new LTS gets release so I'd prefer something rolling.

There's also a few programs that are not available on every distributions repository (f.ex. love2d 10.2) but it's no biggie as it can be compiled from source.

So please, help me out here. Are OpenSUSE Tumbleweed or Debian Testing any good? What other decent rolling release distros are there? I think Antergos and Manjaro will have the same issues and Arch, just easier installation, so I'd rather not waste time with them either.

Now, stop bullying already.
>>
>>60053540
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin-git/

I'm sure it's something really simple, but I don't know why that one part isn't working. I have exo installed but it's 0.10.7-2.
>>
>>60053606
install ubunut
>>
>>60053563
Apparently some libraries it needs updated and now spotify can't find them. I can create a symlink to the newer version of the libfiles but it complains about the files being of a "wrong version". I can fix this but I don't want to deal with this kind of crap so often. I'm trying to focus on other stuff right now. I've only used Linux for two or three weeks so going for Arch was a bit dumb, but I've learned a lot.
>>
>>60053647
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60053613
I see.

Thats the problem. The exo from the official repos is 0.10, the package depends on 0.11. Thats why there are links to 2 alternative packages of exo on the aur (devel and git).

you can install that pacakge first, or try makepkg -s to solve dependencies. (Im not sure if it solves AUR dependencies tho.)
>>
tmux or screen?
>>
>>60053697
Try them both, use what you like more.
>>
>>60053678
I knew it was something simple, I just assumed that it was supposed to install the dependencies as well. Thanks for looking it over for me. Next time I'll spend a bit more time trying to deal with it on my own before posting here.
>>
>>60053697
tmux
>>
>>60053697
screen
>>
>>60053647
> I can create a symlink to the newer version of the libfiles

No please, don't do that unless you really know what are you doing.

is the spotify package from the AUR? just update the libs it needs m8. Easier than change to a new OS.
>>
>>60053479
That was surely because of the openssl update to 1.1. Try installing https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/libopenssl-1.0-compat/ and then run spotify with LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib/openssl-1.0-compat/ and see if it works
>>
>>60053718
you are welcome.

And go easy on the AUR.
>>
>>60053732
>suggesting GNU software
tmux*
>>
>>60053901
>dumbfuck GNU hatred in a GNU/Thread

pack your shit and fuck off
>>
>>60053589
crosspost from /sqt/
I can get the day and month on the top bar in Gnome Shell but can't get the year to show up. I've looked all over dconf and gnome tweak tool with no luck. Is there any way to put the year on the top?
>>
>>60053959
Try this extension; https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1173/datetime-format/
>>
>>60054019
awesome dude, thanks
>>
File: clicommandspng.png (325KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
clicommandspng.png
325KB, 1280x800px
>>60045902
Yeah I do as well and it's great.
>>
just switched from gnome 3 to mate and holy shit so much more stable and performs so much better
>>
>>60054255
Mate is love, mate is life. Literally the best DE.
>>
>>60045832
When will SystemD make their init system?
>>
Playing around in a virtual debian, and I'd like to set my FTP server's IP address from DHCP to static, where do I do that? /etc/hosts or /etc/network/interfaces?
>>
>>60054524
Configure the DHCP server to assign the same address to that machine. Or give a static address to the machine, but exclude that address from the range the DHCP server can assign.
>>
File: 1dBBy.png (6KB, 222x267px) Image search: [Google]
1dBBy.png
6KB, 222x267px
Why is their logo a pube? Is it supposed to be bloody too? Ew.
>>
File: dw.png (13KB, 120x205px) Image search: [Google]
dw.png
13KB, 120x205px
>>60054628
>Is it supposed to be bloody too?
For women, yes.
>>
>>60054613
Thank you anon
>>
File: sparky44-lumina.png (414KB, 800x603px) Image search: [Google]
sparky44-lumina.png
414KB, 800x603px
What's the best DE, /flt/?
>>
>>60054255
>>60054265
MATE is cool but it seems only GNOME, KDE and Sway support Wayland. Should I fall for the tiling meme as I mostly run programs full screen anyway?
t. GNOME user
>>
>>60054680
The best DE is to not have one and use openbox with tint2 instead
>>
>>60054680
definitely not pic related, that thing is a buggy mess
>>
>>60054680
>>60054732
>they don't know the comfiness that is xfce4+i3wm
>>
>>60054742
Name 1 (one) DE that isn't a buggy mess.
>>
>>60054788
Microsoft Windows
>>
>>60054798
But its colonel sucks, anon.
>>
>>60054813
So we just combine Windows and Linux.

There, problem solved.
>>
>>60054825
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>60054813
>colonel
kek
>>
Someone give me a quick rundown on tiling WMs.
>>
>>60054873
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Comparison_of_tiling_window_managers
>>
>>60054873
man dwm
>>
>>60054628
If ypur girl's pube looks like that please bring her to a gynecologist asap.
>>
>>60054873
i3 good
>>
>>60054873
They can be nice if you just want to maximize screen real estate. Sadly they are mostly used by ricer garbage who want to appear 1337.

If you want to use a tiling wm use dwm. Everything else is ricer tier trash.
>>
>>60054833
Linux*
>>
File: fixed.png (172KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
fixed.png
172KB, 1280x800px
>>60054236
>>
>>60055225
>>60054236
Ctrl-D is massively oversimplified, maybe change it to something like "signal end of input" or something?
>>
>>60055172
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: ep059.jpg (158KB, 610x620px) Image search: [Google]
ep059.jpg
158KB, 610x620px
>>60055313
GUN/Linux*
>>
>>60055225
ctl-a
ctl-e
esc-c
esc-l
esc-b
esc-f
are missing anon
>>
Which is more autistic to use:
SourceMage or Gentoo?
>>
>>60055340
kek
>>
>>60055365
smgl is just beautiful
>>
>>60055385
Where's that beauty?
Which of these two would teach me more?
>>
Which DEB distro would you recommend for :
Workstation
Laptop (Netflix machine for someone with no experience)
Home Server (Seafile on Raspbian at the moment)

And what DE would you recommend on them ?
I'm not really into Free, it must work.
>>
>>60055408
install ubunut
>>
>>60055408
debian
???
>>
>>60055408
Ubuntu on Windows 10
>>
>>60055432
Stable or Testing ?
Which DE ?

>>60055422
Why Ubuntu ?
Which version ?
>>
>>60055408
Slackware for everything because fuck you thats why.
>>
>>60055455
holy shit cant you answer these yourself
>>
>>60055408
>workstation
ubuntu LTS, debian with backports, devuan with backports
>laptop
same as workstation
>netflix machine for someone
netflix is an enemy of freedom, anyone using it can go fuck himself/herself
>home server
debian stable

>de
xfce, lxde, lxqt, mate
>>
>>60055408
install gentoo
>>
>>60055408
>DEB
It's debIAN, not deb.
>>
>>60055468
No love for Cinnamon ?
>>
File: 1473746902677.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1473746902677.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>60055455
>>
>>60055631
I don't recommend software I never used, but if you like it recommend it for the guy who asked.
>>
>>60049681
Yes but not for much longer.
>>
>>60055408

>WS
PCLinuxOS with KDE5

>Laptop
Sparky with Lumina

>Home Server
Devuan

>DE
See above.
>>
>>60050237
I tried reinstall arch and installing the amdgpu drivers but am still getting the same problem idk if its a driver issue anymore
>>
>>60055810
I'm the guy asking.
I use Cinnamon, MATE and Xfce in VM
I don't use very often Linux so I can't see, on the long term, which one will be the best.
>>
>>60055890
GNU/Linux*
>>
File: ubu_704_rgb.png (2MB, 1179x992px) Image search: [Google]
ubu_704_rgb.png
2MB, 1179x992px
>>60055907
>>
>>60050871
Are you implying it doesn't? Arch is literally the best distro for noobs who want a crash course in how Linux works and can afford to spend a week getting used to things.
>>
>>60055954
GNU/Linux*
>>
should I switch to zsh?
>>
>>60056037
This my feel somewhat new when you come directly from Windows, but here at GNU/Linux, we are free to make our own decisions. Why not try both and decide yourself?
>>
>>60056037
zsh is a good shell, that said, you can do much of the stuff people believe only zsh can do also on bash
if you go with zsh, stay away from stupid frameworks like oh-my-zsh and make your own config
>>
how do I get a good looking bottom bar in vim people have non ascii versions like this

something > something else >
>>
File: 1493011528095.png (203KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1493011528095.png
203KB, 1920x1080px
>>60056129
see pic related
>>
>>60056129
it's called powerline
install a font that is patched with powerline glyphs
>>
>>60055851
I tried unplugging one monitor and the flickering goes completely away how can test this further i think i need to do some stuff in xrandr but i dont remember the commands
>>
Lesbian thread: >>60056167
>>
>>60056129
why do you want this?
>>
>>60056129
https://github.com/vim-airline/vim-airline
>>
>>60056190
Because he's a stupid ricer.
>>
>>60045832
Is there ways to make vim faster?
I want to learn more of it, but it is so slow, I can't live with it for everyday tasks.
>>
>>60056367
"Ed is the standard UNIX text editor."
>>
There an open source offline screenshot tool for fedora?
>>
>>60056392
scrot
>>
File: 1483357316563.jpg (182KB, 617x283px) Image search: [Google]
1483357316563.jpg
182KB, 617x283px
>>60056392
import, ffmpeg, scrot
>>
>>60056380
?
>>
>>60056406
can scrot screenshot a selected area?
>>
>>60056431
found it you use -s
>>
>>60051862
I'm not sure but the stuff about the CPUs is related to the firmware, which is different from drivers. I want to know about the drivers

>>60053384
So can drivers harm you in ways that are different from technical inconvenience?

I still don't get if they can be malicious, or better, if the position they hold in the OS make them suitable for implementing malicious functionalities
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.