[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is /g/'s opinion on which languages should be studied

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: programming.jpg (295KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
programming.jpg
295KB, 500x334px
What is /g/'s opinion on which languages should be studied in order to become a well-rounded programmer?

I already know Python and a few flavors of assembly, but would like to expand my mind a bit and be more versatile. I'm thinking about Haskell, diving into Verilog, or simply studying algorithms. However, I would like some opinions before I buy books and/or courses.
>>
>>60044982
Verilog is piss easy, but you have to have a good general understanding of hardware to really use it properly.
>>
File: 1492939168807.jpg (162KB, 891x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1492939168807.jpg
162KB, 891x1200px
>>60044982

You need to know the languages of Postmodernism, SJWs, and Hebrew.
>>
>>60044982
>that fucking .jpg
Rule #1: Don't write shit like that. Use whitespace. Hit the fucking return key. Comment shit. Don't write it all on one fucking line.
>>
>>60045903
But muh data compression and faster load times
>>
>>60045866

dude what
>>
>>60044982
I think C and Lisp for the low level knowledge/understanding but you don't really have to code in them.
Then Python/Javascript as HTTP is important nowadays and you may want some hands-on experience with it.
If you're more in systems/AI programming fields add Verilog/VHDL and some logic language like prolog.

>>60045903
That's minified after writing to be served over the web at less size
>>
>>60044982

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR8fQiskYII

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvWTnIoQZj4
>>
>>60044982
To quote Norvig:

> Learn at least a half dozen programming languages. Include one language that emphasizes class abstractions (like Java or C++), one that emphasizes functional abstraction (like Lisp or ML or Haskell), one that supports syntactic abstraction (like Lisp), one that supports declarative specifications (like Prolog or C++ templates), and one that emphasizes parallelism (like Clojure or Go).
>>
>>60045866
i didnt think that protesting your own president could get any gayer and goddamn you went ahead to prove me wrong
thanks
>>
When will people learn that languages don't matter and it's the paradigms that are important.
If you don't know the basics of a paradigm you are using then knowing how to write hello world in a million languages won't help you solve your problem
>>
visual c# and javascript :^)
>>
>>60044982
Something lower level like Assembly/C
Something functional like Haskell
Something declarative like Prolog
You will spend your life stuck working with OO languages like Java, so I won't recommend any.
Also the Scheme/SICP book is not a meme, it's legitimately good.
>>
>>60048073
How does one paradigm?
>>
>>60048073
Excessive post modernism detected.
>>
C
Lisp
ASM
>>
File: Programmingfor girls.jpg (219KB, 1610x735px) Image search: [Google]
Programmingfor girls.jpg
219KB, 1610x735px
What does /g/'s dream language look like?
>>
>>60052359
it looks like brainfuck
>>
>>60047715
no it isn't. There are a lot of unnecessary spaces in there. newlines have been deleted to make it look cooler to non coders.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.