[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>laptops have been able to output video to a monitor and have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: lg-27ud88-w-usb-c-input.jpg (149KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lg-27ud88-w-usb-c-input.jpg
149KB, 1920x1080px
>laptops have been able to output video to a monitor and have that monitor act as a USB hub while using only one USB C cable for a while now
>desktop graphics cards still don't have a USB C port for video out that can also carry data for the USB hub built into a lot of monitors
Why? Would they need to update the PCIe standard to do that or something?
>>
>>60023212
no just a lot of driver fuckery
>>
>>60023249
Well some of the driver fuckery has already been done considering some of the laptops that can do this have Nvidia or AMD GPUs.
>>
HDMI 2.1 can do 48Gbps and do 8K @ 120FPS

USB type-C is constrained to 10Gbps and do like 4K @ 30FPS max
>>
>>60023212
My laptop with a USB 3.0 port can output to 2 monitors, act as a usb hub, act as audio input/output and run ethernet all at the same time (through a docking station of course)

USB-C is a meme to sell new adapters.
>>
No. You can even send all the video down the USB-C, ditching every other type of cable/connector. But someone has to implement this feature, and customers don't even know, or care, that this feature is possible at all. Manufacturers don't care much either, they want to rush things to market and don't want to wait until their cash-starved engineers implement something in a sane, standardized, convenient way. Design, marketing and sales are much more important than the product itself and its features people don't even know about.
>>
File: pepe wink.jpg (73KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
pepe wink.jpg
73KB, 300x250px
>>60023212
>do not use service only
>>
>>60023376
What the hell, I've misunderstood the post completely. Sorry.
>>
>>60023367
>My laptop with a USB 3.0 port can output to 2 monitors, act as a usb hub, act as audio input/output and run ethernet all at the same time
But you never do that, do you?
It's just for bragging, right?
>>
Probably because desktops already have a ton on USB ports?
>>
>>60023895
More options is always a good thing though. Not everyone has a readily accessible desktop, it can be tucked away under a desk or in a drawer or something. Being able to use one cable to connect to your monitor + built in USB hub is also just easier from a cable management perspective.
>>
>>60023312
The 10Gb limit doesn't apply to the video signal on USB 3.1, the video signal is actually additional
>>
>>60023367
This would be the shittiest experience ever
>>
File: USB hell.jpg (178KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
USB hell.jpg
178KB, 500x375px
>>60023212
Laptops need that because they don't have enough space for connectors. On a PC you have 12 USB connectors just on the backside, plus 2-8 you can connect to the front panel of your case, plus you can put in as many USB expansion cards as you have PCIE slots.
>>
>>60023367
that's not the standard though
that's using some additional hardware and driver bullshittery that works halfazzardly. Those fucking meme docks die far too often and cause far too many problems with usb devices compared to traditional lenovo and dell docks.
>>
File: ADCDVI.jpg (9KB, 422x141px) Image search: [Google]
ADCDVI.jpg
9KB, 422x141px
Apple topped that nearly two decades ago
>DVI
>power
>USB
>all over one cable
>>
File: PPSmug.png (500KB, 821x715px) Image search: [Google]
PPSmug.png
500KB, 821x715px
>>60026115
>Thread about standard
>Apple
hmm
>>
>>60026479
Where did I say ADC was an industry standard?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.