[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is it possible in 2017 to buy a chromebook and completly replace

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 100s-chromebook-product-hero.png (51KB, 673x527px) Image search: [Google]
100s-chromebook-product-hero.png
51KB, 673x527px
is it possible in 2017 to buy a chromebook and completly replace chromeos with some linux distro?

i've been hearing about this croupton thing that allows you to run chromeos along with linux, but thats a waste of space.. i want linux alone!

all i want is a cheap 11.6 laptop that i can run linux on so i can code while i take a shit or while i am in the train on my way to work..
>>
File: 1491906689611.png (1MB, 1186x751px) Image search: [Google]
1491906689611.png
1MB, 1186x751px
>>60018737

>taking your laptop with you for the 37 seconds it takes to take a shit
>>
>>60018767
i always take at least 30min, its a ritual thing.
>>
The specs will disappoint you. You're better off buying a used memepad or something.
>>
>>60018792
Dat battery life doe

>Have a Dell Chromebook 13
>Muh 13 hours battery life
>>
>>60018821
Linux is terrible with battery, anon.
>>
>>60018780
This. And I do it completely naked
>>
>>60018838
This isn't true. My laptop gets a little bit more time out of linux actually. About an extra hour.
>>
I've seen people do it.
>>
>>60018838
it depends on the kernel, distro, and de you're using

I get amazing battery life on openSUSE Leap 42.2 KDE compared to openSUSE Leap 42.2 GNOME, like 1-2 hrs more (for a total of 5-6 hours on a T420).
>>
>>60018737
It's pretty easy. I went crouton > legacy boot w/ galliumos > uefi boot w/ galliumos.
You can install linux w/o opening your device, but opening and removing the write-protection screw is easy as fuck.
Some links:
https://mrchromebox.tech/
https://galliumos.org/
>>
>>60019169
thanks, this was exactly what i was looking for.
btw what chromebook do you have?
>>
>>60019195
Lenovo N21, I got a few years back for college. Needed something that was cheap, light, and durable. It fit the bill then, but there's better chromebooks on the market now.
Remember, get an intel one to avoid issues and look up the compatibility of any model prior to purchase.
>>
>>60019169
Is there a way to run Linux on a chromebook without having to go past the scary warning sign every boot?

I actually use my laptop in public and I want to be able to use it without alarming nearby normalfags into thinking they're being hacked or something.
>>
>>60018840
Not op but
>Mah nigga
>>
>>60018840
And then taking a quick shower
>>
>>60019394
Open it up and remove the write protection screw, it's much easier than is sounds.
Use the mr.chromebox firmware script from the above source to flash the custom firmware.
btw you will have to reinstall.
>>
>>60019524
This is exactly what i do
>>
>>60019394
Fuck them. Say "GTFO or I'll hack your ass too."
>>
>>60018737
Get a pinebook
>>
>>60019394
You can press Ctrl + D and it'll bypass that screen once it comes up. So it'll only flash for like a quarter second, not long enough to worry the normies
>>
>>60020092
> We'll contact you in February
> We'll contact you in June
Will they ever deliver?
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.