[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What're some sought after legacy programming languages to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: cobol_programmers.jpg (79KB, 770x335px) Image search: [Google]
cobol_programmers.jpg
79KB, 770x335px
For instance COBOL.
>>
>>60011632
Ruby
Its used in financial bullshit and no one is learning it and the old timers are dying and the banks are refusing to switch.
>>
>>60011676
I thought that was COBOL?
>>
>>60011722
>>60011632
COBOL is widely used in finances still. I work at a bank and we have bunch of legacy COBOL stuff that we're actively trying to replace.
>>
>>60011632
bro learn forth immediately that shit is gr8

I wish I could go be old and work on that shit in the 70s. I wasnt born yet thoe fuck

also lisp and emacs
>>
I'd like to say Ada
mainly safety-critical systems, it is still (rarely) used in military and aeronautics
>>
>>60011632
COBOL. If you git gud, you are set for many years with a very good salary.

True story: I have an aunt who is like 70, and has programmed her whole life since the punch card era. For the past 15 years she tried to retire, but her COBOLT (and other obscure banking/insurance company programming languages I forgot) knowledge was so valuable she could more or less decide her own salary and make her own contract. It is outright insane how many hoops her employer were willing to jump through to get her to stay. She did retire last year though, with a gigantic pension.

Or, if you want to learn something more """""modern""""" and dont care what it is as long as you make mad dosh (not related to your opened up by retirement idea): SAP. Learn how to use, program, configure, and modify SAP. At least in my country thats where the money is.
>>
>>60011840
I'm curious, why replace something that works?
Is it for maintenance reasons?
>>
>>60013939
Ada pops up in civil infrastructure too in places like power stations. It's also real comfy to write and profile.
>>
>>60014225
learn how to use, program, configure and modify a company? how is it so popular that you have no idea what you are talking about
>>
so what is a kobol, is that like a gremlin or a basilisk
>>
>>60014353
Because when it does break good COBOL programmers are retired, dead or outrageously priced.
>>
>>60014523
This is the literal truth.
>>
ABAP
>>
>>60014523
>>60014598
But there's where the money is at, don't out Jew us. :)
>>
>>60014659
>ABAP
Is that still in use?!
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.