[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do they make games (ie CS:GO) work in both 16:9 and 4:3 without

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: P1190521.jpg (2MB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
P1190521.jpg
2MB, 1920x2560px
How do they make games (ie CS:GO) work in both 16:9 and 4:3 without giving an advantage to the widescreen version?

How do they stretch the picture without making it look distorted?
>>
>without giving an advantage to the widescreen version
get your facts straight
>>
>>60005539
If there IS an advantage, why do so many pro players play with black bars?
>>
>>60005550
less distraction?
>>
>>60005569
Nah
>>
>>60005550
old quake bandwagon meme where you'd jump higher and go faster if you had a high fps
>>
>>60005550
Their excuse is so they can see all the game without need of peripheral vision
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (294KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
294KB, 1920x1080px
>>60005524
>without giving an advantage to the widescreen version?

but widescreen players DO have an advantage over people playing in 4:3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woE4pjpY9wA

>How do they stretch the picture without making it look distorted?

csgo in 4:3 on a 16:9 monitor is distorted, are you blind?

>>60005550
>If there IS an advantage, why do so many pro players play with black bars?

for a start people don't always do what's in their best interest, never mind that you're asking why competitive fucking gamers don't do what's in their best interest, you may as well ask why quake players or other arena fps players play with ridiculously high dpi while csgo players tend to play with sub 800 dpi equivalents (and before someone mentions rocket jumping, have you ever seen csgo players do 180s?)

but to answer your question, it's because it's a literal meme, no, seriously, some pro probably played with it to be quirky at a tournament and to troll the opponents, "but I game in 4:3 on my crt at home!" but they did good so it caught on, just like how everybody copies pro players mouse dpi, mouse, mousepad, keyboard, resolution settings, game settings, etc, because people are predictable and because original thought is hard

go look up some of the supposed benefits to using 4:3, "because the screen is stretched heads are wider making it easier to get headshots!", "because there's less fov and pixels to render you get 100 extra fps that you'll never use!", "because there's less fov you'll be more focused on what's going on in front of you!", you just have to spend 5 minutes browsing csgo guides to realise half the people are so full of shit and probably trying to put you at a DISADVANTAGE it's not even funny

and while I'm on the topic of retarded csgo pro player memes, if your keyboard isn't at a perfect 315 degree angle and you aren't less than a foot away from the screen you'll be stuck in gold nova 3 forever
>>
>>60005911
>are you blind?
I can't say I've ever tried.
>>
>>60005911
just a reminder that the quake engine used by call of duty still inhibits the FPS based physics from quake 1~3 leftovers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdZ_B_E0W1Y
>>
>>60006127

I get that some engines have the physics tied to the framerate but afaik it has never been the case in csgo (but it won't stop youtube personalities and pros claiming that uncapping your fps and disabling gsync/freesync will make you an aiming god, enlarge your penis and make hair grow on your chest or move it to your shoulders and back if you already have hair on your chest)
>>
>>60006325
I know, I'm just saying that there was a good reason to try to hit the maximum back then (that alongside with high refresh brickbox monitors), and that "culture" has somewhat never been dropped.
It's stupid and shitty, but that's how it's going to stay.
>>
>>60005911
Whatever meme settings for mice people push out there is only one fact

Using the mouse sensors' highest native dpi setting, where there is no interpolation, is the only appropriate way. Anything less is only applicable if you see a reason to switch lower for sniping, anything more loses accuracy and should be subject to user feel which is easily controlled by in game sensitivity.

For most mice 800dpi is the setting to use, hands down. New/expensive mice can be interpolation free above 800. Interpolation is the enemy
>>
>>60005524
You just cut off the top and bottom of 4:3 to make 16:9.

4:3 actually has the advantage.
>>
>>60007344
Just keep cropping it. You only really need to see your cross-hair.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.