[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 56

File: spoon.jpg (55KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
spoon.jpg
55KB, 1280x720px
Post your small questions that don't deserve to push another thread off the board here.
>>
Does replaygain exist in the original audio file or is it calculated and applied by rippers/converters?
>>
>>60003802
I've asked before but I didn't get any answers, does the US government block websites? Specifically, does it make sense to have a secondary Yandex mail account?
>>
How is tempered glass supposed to protect my phone screen?
>>
>>60003879
It has issued take-downs otherwise as best I'm aware of nothing is actually blocked from a routing or DNS resolution perspective. Believe it or not most things blocked regionally would be things like service or content providers, often for legal reasons (netflix has licenses to show certain movies in certain countries etc). It never hurts to have a second line and use a VPN :)
>>
>>60003802
>Oldboy.2003.KOR.RM.LE.Bluray.1080p.DTS-HD-7.1.x264-Grym.mkv
what do RM and LE mean in this context?
>>
>>60003962
remastered limited edition
>>
>>60003962
ReMastered LimitedEdition
>>
>>60003995
>>60003998
Thanks anons. You sure RM doesn't stand for ReMux? I am looking for one, and the size (>20gb) suggests it might be just that
>>
>>60004029
Two annons within 30 seconds is about as certain as anything is in life.
>>
>>60004079
lol, alrightie then
>>
>>60004029
Maybe, the remastered remux I see is 29GB
>>
>>60003948
Thank you.
>>
>>60004110
yup, I'll just get that one to be sure, thank yee
>>
I can't find any decent answers on google. Anyone having problems with Windows Defender on Win 7? I've been running into crashes and BSOD for the last week, sometimes during playing some games and during work, and it's always related to Windows Defender. Anyone experiencing something similar?
>>
Best anti-virus/malware for windows that isn't active all the time, like MBAM, for example?
>>
How can i find the gateway of my adsl modem? ifconfig doesn't show me nothing and i can't use wireshark cause i'm on my wi-fi connection and the wireshark display my router gateway.
>>
File: 9 trillion hours in ms paint.jpg (77KB, 672x598px) Image search: [Google]
9 trillion hours in ms paint.jpg
77KB, 672x598px
I'm looking for an upgrade to the shitty sound that comes as standard with a slim TV, but I don't have much space on the stand and all the shelves are occupied.

Would putting a sound bar on the floor (thick carpet) under the stand murder the sound quality?
>>
>>60004029
it could be. where is the torrent from? some PT's don't like re-encoding or transcoding but if it's not one of those sites it could be a remux.
>>
>>60005070
demonoid
>>
>>60003879
Okay, so since you didn't get an actual response that's legitimately useful, here's something to consider:
The US has FISA with which it can issue any secret court ordered subpoena that service providers on US soil have to comply with without informing anyone about (to the point that even a warrant canary can mean you will find yourself in legal hell).
Meanwhile, you can be absolutely sure that Russia won't even have to issue such a secret order, since it's pretty much a given that they have even less respect for the average citizen.

Problem is, there isn't really a solution to this, because any solution can't be technological since this is not a technological problem - it's a political one in which it's an acceptable political position to have that the government has rights that individuals do not, and that the government is more important than its citizens.

>>60004029
If the filesize is the same as earlier releases, it's just a remux, whereas a remaster requires photographing the original 16mm stock with 4k or 8k full-frame camearas and digitally restoring it if necessary.

>>60004271
You can always calculate it from the ip and subnet mask. Any CCENT/CCNA certified student should be able to do this in their head, but in case you need help, search for a CIDR subnet calculator.
>>
Has anyone tried getting Financing from Dell?
What's the likeliness they'll violate my privacy even harder just to make sure im paying for my laptop
>>
I'm learning Common Lisp via Lisp in Small Parts. I'm on this exercise:

turn '(a b c d) into '(a a b b c c d d)

(defun dupli (lst)
(if (null lst) nil
(cons (append (first lst) (first lst))
(dupli (rest lst)))))

I'm basically guessing now because when it seems like i'm on the right track SBCL complains about list element type
>>
File: cute_girl.jpg (48KB, 590x332px) Image search: [Google]
cute_girl.jpg
48KB, 590x332px
>>60003802
Why did chink moot range ip ban me or block my ISP on certain boards?
>>
>>60005209
excessive issues with that range
>>
File: download.png (245KB, 1347x449px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
245KB, 1347x449px
>>60003802
I've got some work to do involving the Best Buy API page. I need a key, but Best Buy doesn't accept most free emails (gmail, outlook, etc), or educational .edu emails.
Could someone help me get a key? Preferably if I could find somewhere where I can make a working email, or a useless email account to hold the key, that'd be great, but if there's just a key, that's fine too.
>just use sharklasers
Temporary email services (or at least the few that I tried) don't seem to work. But I do know a distinct email like [email protected] would probably work.

https://developer.bestbuy.com/
>>
anyone have the >>60000000 screencap?
>>
>>60005171
Use recursion.
(defun dupli (l)
(if l
(cons (car l) (cons (car l) (dupli (cdr l))))))
>>
File: 1477719719279.jpg (100KB, 1883x814px) Image search: [Google]
1477719719279.jpg
100KB, 1883x814px
>>60005439
>>
>>60005528
domo arigatou
>>
>>60005171
>>60005509
Oh you did use recursion. I saw (append) and stopped reading. My bad.
>>
>>60003850
CDs contain only the audio data
replaygain is calculated by 3rd party tools where they scan the file to determine peak levels and overall volume then come up with a preamp value which (if applied) should make the audio have certain perceived volume levels
>>
What FOSS/free as in beer windows program would you recommend to read epub files on Windows?
>>
in a subtitle file, how can i remove the words like <font color="#CCCCCC"> or </font> ? i only need the speech as a text and i don't want to spend hours to delete them manually

for example, i want to purify this text

<font color="#CCCCCC">then bang giving birth to an endless</font>

<font color="#E5E5E5">expanding existence of time space and</font>

like:
then bang giving birth to an endless
expanding existence of time space and
>>
>>60005645
sed -i "s/<font color=\"#[0-9A-Za-z]{6}\">//g" targetfile
sed -i 's#</font>##g' targetfile
>>
>>60003802
Intalled Ubuntu
Now what?
Any pointers how to learn about linux, completly le tard when it comes to computing.
>>
>inb4 windows 8.1
How should I go about changing the color of the taskbar in Windows 8.1? It doesn't let you in Personalization, and changing things in the Registry doesn't work.

What does it mean when a webpage is fully loaded, but the address bar icon and any other pictures on the site quickly flash white after about 10 seconds or so?
>>
>>60005645
looks like xml, so I'd parse it as xml with python and the nretrieve only the textual content of each node and store that to a separate file
>>
does there exist an universal language of some sorts to document binary file formats?

stuff like
>first 4 bytes signify the file header
>the following 2 bytes signify some flag
>the next 4 bytes are the image width
>next 4 bytes are the image height
>next byte is the bits per pixel value
etc.
>>
>>60005796
>>60005914

i don't know anything about coding, but i used notepad's find and replace and it worked well. thanks for your answers
>>
>>60006095
What you described is called a file signature or "magic byte."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_file_signatures

I don't know what else you'd want though
>>
File: mat.png (96KB, 1742x943px) Image search: [Google]
mat.png
96KB, 1742x943px
>wants to find all files with the ".mat" extension on my PC
>it searches for "mat" instead
Is it that hard to do what I ask you to do?
>>
File: png.png (296KB, 1943x1394px) Image search: [Google]
png.png
296KB, 1943x1394px
>>60006095
http://hackaday.com/2017/04/07/file-format-posters/
>>
File: 1447070210472.png (946KB, 1500x720px) Image search: [Google]
1447070210472.png
946KB, 1500x720px
Is there an autohotkey script that can create a persistent notification that doesn't automatically dismiss in windows 8.1?

Basically what I want to do is to recreate the problem where an autohide taskbar doesn't go down and is constantly show.
>>
>>60006267
>>60006285
I've reverse engineered a binary archive format and would like to document it in a meaningful way (in a text file)
I think I'll go with the format used there: http://wiki.xentax.com/index.php/GRAF:LBM_FORMArchive
looks good enough
>>
how can I find the PIN of an Android phone?
>>
File: 1492602392689.gif (551KB, 232x500px) Image search: [Google]
1492602392689.gif
551KB, 232x500px
I'm going to try to go back to college in the fall to study computer science.

I've never used GNU/Linux before and don't know how to check for hardware compatibility. I tried installing it on my laptop some years ago, manjaro, but my nvidia gt 640m le wasn't supported.

Can you please recommend me a distro that is decent for a beginner to use for learning how to program and go to Uni?

Any advice for looking for a laptop that is compatible with GNU/Linux? The idea of NSA/Windows taking screens of what I do is unsettling.
>>
>>60006399
Ubuntu is still one of the best for hardware compatibilty. It has worked out of the box for every PC I installed it on since 2012.
>>
>>60006399
Maybe Raspbian on the Raspberry Pi?
Or maybe just QBASIC in DOS.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (35KB, 559x360px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
35KB, 559x360px
So I didnt have space so I deleted a bunch of stuff but anyone know how I can continue?Fuck waiting 40mins for extraction
>>
>>60006667
no way to continue from that window, so you can already close it
from the command line you could try
7z x {archive_name_and_path} -o{target dir} -aos -y
>>
>>60006730
Does this mean It will continue from where it left?
>>
>>60006274
*.mat
>>
>>60006747
-aos should make it skip the files which already are in the target directory, -y makes it automatically answer "Yes" to all interactive questions like "Would you like to replace file x already in dir y?"
it's your best bet
>>
>>60004913
wouldnt sound coming from the ground annoy you?
>>
File: everything.jpg (70KB, 541x480px) Image search: [Google]
everything.jpg
70KB, 541x480px
>>60006274
>>
Keyboard recommendations? It doesn't need to be wireless.
>>
Is it possible to build a Android Webview with 2 HTML5 Videos playing at the same time?
>>
File: waterfox tab.png (21KB, 329x357px) Image search: [Google]
waterfox tab.png
21KB, 329x357px
I don'k know exactly what is this, but sometimes when I try to move only a tab from waterfox to another monitor so it creates a new window, a thumbnail will get stuck there for some reason, and closing waterfox doesn't fix it. What's the service of it so I can close it? I guess it's the windows service.
>>
>>60007029
dwm.exe
what's that software on the left of your pic?
>>
>>60007056
foobar2000 with a skin. i forgot its name
>>
>>60007138
hrm, how does that "Download" column work? is it the file creation date or what?
>>
I just caught my router screwing around giving the same IP address to two devices.

How do I teach this fucker a lesson?
>>
>>60007213
teach it to reservations, or teach yourself to static address shit
>>
>>60007213
how is that even possible
>>
>>60007238
probably wasn't an apple product
>>
File: you tell me.png (33KB, 557x288px) Image search: [Google]
you tell me.png
33KB, 557x288px
>>60007238
>>
>>60003802
Is it possible to access the files on a phone's internal storage without knowing the lock screen password?
>>
>>60005509
hey thank you very much for that I should have realized type was part of the issue. I need to go back and re-read some of the documentation looks like. It's a cool language I'm gonna keep with it
>>
>>60007288
if it has some custom recovery installed like twrp then it provides a file browser which you could use to copy files of interest to an sdcard

>>60007272
what happens if you listen on both of these on the same port and try to telnet to that ip from a third device?
>>
>>60007187
Yeah, I added a %last_modified% so when I can listen to the last 10 song or whatever I downloaded. I'll rename it to "Downloaded" or maybe "Last modified".
>>
>>60007327
Don't know don't care. Found "DHCP Reservations List" and simply gave one of them an unused IP.

What a shit router though. How does this happen?
>>
>>60003802
What's the most reliable way to disable Facebook read receipts?
>>
>>60007352
I was just talking about that with a friend. The DHCP has a range, so let's say the last IP will be 100, then don't give an IP within that range, give them the 101, 102, etc, but still, in that moment there won't be an 101 or 102, but maybe there is already a device with that IP too but it isn't connected right now, like a camera or a printer that are off. I'd put somewhere which IPs out of DHCP range are in use.
>>
File: 1458502366390.png (97KB, 694x801px) Image search: [Google]
1458502366390.png
97KB, 694x801px
>>60003802
I'm still using KitKat on my Galaxy S5. Is it possible to update the Emojis to use the newer Samsung ones?
>>
File: IMG_9496.jpg (980KB, 2929x3905px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9496.jpg
980KB, 2929x3905px
I have some (very) stupid questions related to RSS feeds, cross-domain requests, and server-side scripting...

I understand I can't access certain sites' RSS feeds because that violates same-origin policy. Am I correct in thinking it won't be any different if I locally save the .rss file? As in, can I make a quick (local) html file with a JS script that accesses a local .rss for a different site, without violating CORS?

I feel like I can't do the above, in which case I'm just trying to figure out the simplest way to display another site's RSS feed. I want to use JS (JQuery specifically) to practice with the language but I'm having some difficulty. It would be cool if I could do this without server-side stuff, but if not that's fine too. Eventually I want to do regex on certain RSS fields but for now I'd be content to just display the damn thing on a locally-saved html page.

I'm pretty woeful at webdev hence the project, and spent about 8 hours in total trying to figure this out which translated to learning about cors and protocols and http methods. If anyone could point me in right direction I'd be very grateful
>>
>>60007394
The range is 100-199. At any rate, I found another solution which was simply to revoke the lease instead.
>>
>>60003802
how the fuck do I change the language in Office 365?
>>
I've been learning alot about programming, but every time i look at "paycheck" graphs, new languages are rising against those that i know. Is there anyway to know which languages i should focus on, or is all this just a memes influencing the market?
The ones that i already now are:
C
C++
Java
PHP
HTML/CSS/JS
C#

But some new languages appear to take place of those, by being better/faster(stronger), so.. I don't know, i just keep wondering...
Thanks for any advice.
>>
What would be a good audio equipment to listen to music ?
I listen to a lot of music (funk, jazz, hip hop, classical...)
I don't know a lot about audio stuff.
Any guide about how to pick good stuff ?
>>
>>60007933
you know the ones that matter. When you'll need to learn a new one, you'll be able to learn it quickly.

Master Foo and the Recruiter

A technical recruiter, having discovered that that the ways of Unix hackers were strange to him, sought an audience with Master Foo to learn more about the Way. Master Foo met the recruiter in the HR offices of a large firm.

The recruiter said, “I have observed that Unix hackers scowl or become annoyed when I ask them how many years of experience they have in a new programming language. Why is this so?”

Master Foo stood, and began to pace across the office floor. The recruiter was puzzled, and asked “What are you doing?”

“I am learning to walk,” replied Master Foo.

“I saw you walk through that door” the recruiter exclaimed, “and you are not stumbling over your own feet. Obviously you already know how to walk.”

“Yes, but this floor is new to me.” replied Master Foo.

Upon hearing this, the recruiter was enlightened.
>>
>>60008035
Oh... I got it, thanks. My issue must be that, for some reason, i thought i should "master" (deeply) into some languages. But i understand.
>>
foolproof ffmpeg setup to play via TV's USB?
>>
>>60008142
libx264 with some low profile
>>
>>60006399
It's hard to find out if the hardware of a machine is well supported correctly. Googling about the model might be the easiest thing to do, maybe checking the wiki of a distribution if you're worried about the GPU drivers.

Ubuntu usually comes with what you need. Fedora usually works well out of the box too. Avoid debian since it needs to be configured a little bit and might needs you to install drivers manually (to switch from the open source to the proprietary one + wifi drivers if proprietary)
Archlinux is a good choice when you have recent hardware, since the packages are updated more often than the other distributions (antegros might be better for beginners).

Also, you can program on any distribution, you'll have the same software everywhere, so don't think too much about it.

>>60005814
An OS is an OS, you use it to run your programs, ie : firefox, libre office, steam or whatever you need to use.

If you want to learn more about linux, you might want to :
>learn how the filesystem works
http://tldp.org/LDP/Linux-Filesystem-Hierarchy/html/index.html
>how to use the CLI
http://tldp.org/LDP/GNU-Linux-Tools-Summary/html/index.html
>how to create a script
http://tldp.org/LDP/Bash-Beginners-Guide/html/index.html
http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/index.html
>how the kernel actually works
http://tldp.org/LDP/tlk/tlk.html

Best way is still to check the wiki of your distribution when you want to know something specific.
Archwiki is a good place, even if you do not use it.
>>
>>60008071
actually, now that I think about it, you don't know SQL ? that can be useful.
>>
File: 1289792293140.jpg (48KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1289792293140.jpg
48KB, 500x500px
So with the latest ubuntu "upgrade", my laptop got completely fugged. I left it on to do it for 10 hours, didn't move an inch and after the halfway point and had to turn it off. Now everything is fugged beyond belief.
Ubuntu has caused me nothing but headaches and trouble on my laptop. I use to mainly when I'm not home, but in the past few months. It has never fucking worked nice and easy when I needed it.
FUCK ubuntu, fuck it in the fucking ass. I'd rather have windows vista on it.

What should I switch to? preferably something as easy to use, but one that actually fucking works.
>>
>>60008395

windows
>>
>>60008395
Canonical are a bunch of incompetent retards. But don't repeat that to them, they might call us a toxic community.

Just by curiosity, what was the "upgrade" ? From a version to another one ?
>>
Thoughts on this HDD?
https://www.amazon.com/Seagate-BarraCuda-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST4000DM005/dp/B01LNJBA50/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1492818861&sr=8-1&keywords=4tb+HDD

It's the cheapest I could find, and I desperately need more space ASAP.
>>
File: ICWdSNy.png (164KB, 790x527px) Image search: [Google]
ICWdSNy.png
164KB, 790x527px
>>60003802
Does pic related allow me to combine 2 PC audio outputs to listen to with one pair of headphones?
>>
>>60008325
I know MySQL, PL/SQL, SQL, just forget to list.
>>
>>60008395
debian if you don't care about bleding edge software
at least it's rock solid and you can be sure it won't fuck up by itself
>>
>>60008465
Forgot link: http://www.music-group.com/Categories/Behringer/Mixers/Analog-Mixers/MX400/p/P0390
>>
>>60008463
never buy seagate, they are cheap for a reason.

get hitachi/hgst if you want a durable drive.
>>
>>60008465
>>60008480
by the looks of it, yea

consider a software solution though
>>
>>60008496
what kind of software would allow me to combine 2 seperate hardware without network lag?
>>
Good mouse and keyboard on Amazon?
>>
File: 5e1116293f5.png (312KB, 500x566px) Image search: [Google]
5e1116293f5.png
312KB, 500x566px
What's with /g/'s obsession with Maki?
>>
>>60003802
I am dualbooting currently windows 10 and ubuntu on my laptop and it seems like that running ubuntu mainly isnt really battery efficient compared to win10, would debian+xfce be lighter and extend the battery? (compared to win10)
>>
Anyone know how to send a raw Ethernet packet in C#?
>>
>>60008435
It was some major version upgrade or something. It said it would take a few hours and all that, but turns out that it only buttfucked itself real good.
>>60008473
I'll give that a shot
>>
File: feel them johnny.jpg (25KB, 398x297px) Image search: [Google]
feel them johnny.jpg
25KB, 398x297px
>>60003802
why don't i have a gf?
>>
>>60008168
I'm listening...
>>
>>60008685
Anon shits not lost yet, you can do it
>>
Is software engineering really that depressing and miserable? I'm poor as fuck and want to get a well paying job. Nature and science are cool in theory but in practice I hated doing labs. I think electricity is cool but I'm way too dumb for electrical engineering. Programming is pretty cool, conceptually, and I can also learn it from my room, which is a huge plus. I've been learning Python and C++, but I keep hearing that computer science majors are miserable and programming is a terrible career. Anyone care to offer insight?
>>
What are some fonts that look good at low resolution?
>>
>>60008683
>It was some major version upgrade or something. It said it would take a few hours and all that, but turns out that it only buttfucked itself real good.

Ubuntu never managed well the "upgrades", It was better to make a clean install of the new version.
Since Linux isn't retarded, you can have installed ubuntu 16.04 and install ubuntu 17.04 on top of it, it wouldn't destroy the user files.

To answer your first question, >>60008473 I won't recommend you that. Debian is... what it is. If you need proprietary drivers (if you have a nvidia gpu) you'll have to install it manually. Same for the wifi drivers if they are proprietary.
Other thing is the packages are very old, and you might want to switch to debian testing.

You can give it a try, but don't expect it to work out of the box.

Distributions are always difficult to recommend, since the "good" choice is subjective and not everyone give a fuck about the same things.
>>
>>60003892
The glass breaks/scratches instead of your phone screen
>>
>>60004268
Your brain
>>
>>60008875
omg haxor?
>>
Looking for an android tablet that I can use to watch movies/read books/ and also plug into my TV to use as a netflix/kodi box sort of setup

I dont know much about android tablets, whats a good option? (Thinking 8-9in as this is a comfortable size for reading I think)
>>
File: IMG_20170422_024417.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170422_024417.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Why is my up-down/time graph doing that? Also why the dowload isn't 0 even if i'm not dowloading anything but just seeding?
>>
File: Crystal.jpg (122KB, 856x658px) Image search: [Google]
Crystal.jpg
122KB, 856x658px
Does this mean i should swap out my hard drive?

Wangblows has been slow as fuck and i feel this is the reason why
>>
File: 1405433610.jpg (34KB, 443x317px) Image search: [Google]
1405433610.jpg
34KB, 443x317px
Where do I start for getting into web development?
>>
>>60008972
Instead of plugging into the TV i'd just use a Chromecast tbqh

as for a tablet, tablets have been in an odd situation recently where they're moving to full Windows 10 instead of Android, which has always been mediocre on tablets, so it's an odd time to get one
>>
>>60009099
go is shit
use rust or idris or literally any other meme language
>>
File: 800px-Ipod_backlight_transparent.png (1001KB, 800x1341px) Image search: [Google]
800px-Ipod_backlight_transparent.png
1001KB, 800x1341px
>>60008784
classic Mac OS fonts, monospace terminal fonts

Chicago pictured here
>>
Is 4chanx capable of word replacement and if not, is there a good extension for replacing words on a website?
>>
File: 1490709828236.png (702B, 182x73px) Image search: [Google]
1490709828236.png
702B, 182x73px
>>60008784
ProFont
>>
File: hahah faggot.jpg (192KB, 1235x846px) Image search: [Google]
hahah faggot.jpg
192KB, 1235x846px
>>60009199
open the site source in your browser editor window and change their post

unless you mean replacing words as a filter, in which case there's probably chrome extensions to do so, based off the "Cloud to Butt" meme no doubt
>>
>>60008728
Who said it was depressing and miserable?

Maybe at some shitty companies but I've never had that experience.
>>
>>60008838
But this will only protect the exterior glass or the internal display too?
>>
>>60009090
How many sectors?

It has 50k hours, ofcourse you will see it having problems but should last even more than that.
>>
>>60009246
So would you say you enjoy your job? And mostly people on the internet. The reason I initially looked into compter science in the first place was because one of my mutual friends was doing really well and seemed very happy in life and he told me to become a software engineer.

My brother, his girlfriend, and my mother all told me programming is miserable and "staring at a small screen all day gets miserable". I didn't take them that serious, but in particular my mom mentioned that my dad majored in computer science and hated it.
>>
I got a GTX 1080 FTW from EVGA about 2 months ago. They have a 90 day step-up program where I can pay the difference and get a GTX 1080 Ti. The 1080 has a base clock of 1721 MHz while the 1080 Ti I can upgrade to only has a 1480 MHz base clock. Is it actually an upgrade?

Everything I've ever known has led me to believe yes, of course it is, but it's been ages since I've really dealt with technology and my mind is slipping.
>>
>>60009332
I enjoy my job. I'm guessing the people talking about it online lean towards being unhappy. Most people aren't going to go online an rant about how much they love their jobs.

Plus there aren't many white collar jobs these days that don't involve staring at a screen all day. I don't really know your dad's situation. All I can say is if you aren't interested in computers or don't enjoy programming then you aren't likely to get a lot of satisfaction from being a software engineer.
>>
What's the big deal with React Redux and why does every job description ask for it?
>>
>>60009389
1721 * 2560 = 4405760
1480 * 3584 = 5304320
>>
>>60003802
Would a raspberry pi connected to a VPN be sufficient security for keeping Comcast off my dick about torrenting pirated stuff?

If not, what other measures could I / should I take to make my shit more secure.

Completely new to networking and completely new to linux.
>>
>>60009431
It's like electron but """less""" bloated. Mainly used for mobile shit.
>>
How do I install the GIMP deskew plugin on Ubuntu?
>>
>>60009486
>How do I install the GIMP deskew plugin on Ubuntu?
this should do the trick:
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+do+I+install+the+GIMP+deskew+plugin+on+Ubuntu%3F
>>
File: 2thicc2care.jpg (45KB, 728x728px) Image search: [Google]
2thicc2care.jpg
45KB, 728x728px
Just built a new PC and my Steam download speed increased 8x from ~8Mbps to ~66Mbps

???
>>
>>60009653
your bottleneck was disk io?
>>
>>60009667
Hmm, looks like it I guess

Last time I buy an Adata SSD I guess
>>
I have a Moto G1 with a broken display, touch is fucked too.
Glass is fine tho.

Also its stuck in bootloop, i see a new screen would be $20, so i would like to repair it myself, how hard will it be?
Specially the bootloop part.
How do you even fix this?
>>
>>60009711
Doubt it was the ADATA SSD, probably something else.
>>
File: filezilla.png (23KB, 799x170px) Image search: [Google]
filezilla.png
23KB, 799x170px
How do I make this manual action happen automatically in filezilla?

I want everything in the completed folder on my torrent box to automatically transfer to the completed_torrents folder on my main machine.
>>
>>60009763
probably a lot of ways. depends on whether your torrent client can run script on completion.

alternatively just use any sync software that runs on both machines (btsync, syncthing) but that will transfer partials too
>>
>>60009763
Make a shortcut of it
>>
>>60009906
could you elaborate?
>>
File: nes-classic-edition-box.jpg (810KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
nes-classic-edition-box.jpg
810KB, 1500x1000px
Can someone tell me what I can do with this that I can't with a $10 Raspberry Pi?
>>
File: chinkPhone.png (212KB, 461x415px) Image search: [Google]
chinkPhone.png
212KB, 461x415px
I just bought this cheap 50 dollar chink 'X-BO 06' model phone off of eBay to help me practice making Android apps and I wanna replace the stock operating system. I've never done this for a phone before though and it appears I can't just slap anything on it I found after googling things up like LineageOS.

Is there any way I can change the operating system without completely fucking it up or should I just leave it be?
>>
>>60009951
Brag about having some pointless piece of hardware that people like to brag about because Nintendo ended production.
>>
File: tomorrow.png (262KB, 1512x913px) Image search: [Google]
tomorrow.png
262KB, 1512x913px
Does anyone have a CSS for 4chan that looks at least similar to the Tomorrow CSS on 8.chan? The one I'm using now looks like shit and I can't stand it anymore. Pic is what Tomorrow looks like
>>
Is it true the PS4 runs Unix as its operating system?
>>
>>60010006
I just googled it and apparently the PS4 runs on an OS called Orbis which is a modified version of FreeBSD. Since FreeBSD is, after another search, a Unix-like operating system I think it's safe to say that yes it uses Unix.
>>
>>60008463
I've had multiple Seagate drives fail in the span of a year. They can get fucked.
>>
>>60009463
On that note, what VPNs do people tend to trust?
>>
>>60010006
Since BSD doesn't require the source to be public, Sony and Nintendo have been using modified versions of it.
>>
>>60010168
https://thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-section/

I've personally had a great experience with BlackVPN, but take that with a grain of salt because it's the only one I've used
>>
say i have a ton of images (like 10,000) that i want to sort into a bunch of different folders categorically so i can find a group of photos quickly.
how would i go about sorting those images?
is there a way i can preview an image then add a tag or click a button really easily and have that image be moved into its respective folder?
>>
>>60010226
if you have 10,000 meme images then you want some kind of software that anon posted here a while back that is made for that kind of shit. don't remember what it was called

if you have real pictures (like from a camera) then you want any number of photo organizing software (shotwell for GNOME, etc)
>>
Why does flash run like shit these days?

I just tried playing robot unicorn attack while waiting for samurai jack to com on and it was unplayable.
Comedy Central's video is often choppy.
>>
File: Broken.png (44KB, 1393x787px) Image search: [Google]
Broken.png
44KB, 1393x787px
WHY IS APPCHANX SUDDENLY BROKEN IN FIREFOX?
>>
if i go into my motherboards Bios and tell it to turn off Onboard Video will my screen be black? will I have to navigate the bios blind if i have no GPU installed?

I have a gpu that doesnt seem to work and I want to test it with Motherboard Graphics turned off. But if the GPU still doesnt work, i dont know what will happen after
>>
>>60010301
If it comes to that you could always reset your CMOS, read your mobo's manual to find out how to do it.
>>
Guys I have no clue if what I'm asking here is even possible

I wanted to create an RSS feed from this website. It is hosting all the episodes of an old podcast and I would like to be able to add an RSS URL into my podcast app on my phone so it could download all of the episodes, or have them available to download by me

https://archive.org/details/uninformedpodcast

Is this possible? Otherwise I will have to download each mp3 individually, upload it to my dropbox and use this program to download it to my phone to be able to play in my podcast app
>>
Any program that makes a backup of all the files inside a folder that were created or modified after a date specified by the user while also preserving the folder structure?
>>
>>60010280
and I just realized toonami is tomorrow
>>
Looking for the best red/white striped programming socks on the market. Could only find knee-high ones on Amazon. Do I have to look through Newegg catalogues for them or something?
>>
>>60003802
I've always liked Dolphin in the Unixverse, but now I have a machine running Windows and I absolutely hate Windows Explorer.
Is there any way I can get Dolphin onto Windows? It seems like there used to be a way with KDE4, but it doesn't work anymore.
>>
>>60010331
Seems possible to me http://www.wikihow.com/Create-an-RSS-Feed
>>
What would be the most non-botnet alternative to Hamachi
>>
>>60010681
openvpn
>>
File: VID_20170421_201818.webm (3MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20170421_201818.webm
3MB, 720x480px
Leaving the fucked up screen aside (Got one for free, tomorrow im getting it).

What is one supposed to do when this happens?
>>
>>60010854
Bootloop? Try a recovery boot and use a computer to push a fix.
>>
File: VID_20170421_202035.webm (1MB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
VID_20170421_202035.webm
1MB, 720x480px
>>60010877
Recovery boot is fucked too.
Everything other than the QR code option enters in a bootloop mode.
>>
File: uoJlAkR.jpg (46KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
uoJlAkR.jpg
46KB, 640x360px
>>60003802
How do I get files larger than 4gb off of a /Journaled HFS+ drive? Every time I try I get an error.
>>
>>60010280
What year is this?
>>
What's the best program to monitor network activity to see where processes connect to? I want to run pirated/suspect programs in a vm to see if they're safe, and in doing this I want to see if they're phoning home.
>>
>>60010990
wiresshark comes to mind
>>
>>60010891
Just looked into reflashing, doesn't look that hard.
How i am sure its the original ROM?

Or android doesnt have the problem of fake installers where you have to check the SHA-1 of the file?
>>
>>60011071
Also i assume all the stuff i had will be deleted too right? any way i can recover it?
>>
Hello
I downloaded an old game but i can't save as it's an old games for windows live game, the game won't save if you're not connected to windows live
I thought of using a virtual machine to play the game and pausing it as a workaround, which i can afford to because i have an 8 core 16 threads processor, but the software i tried to use (that i know can do that, vmware workstation pro) requires amd hyper v virtualization and i don't recall seeing such an option in the bios though i could have not noticed it
Anyway, getting to the point: is there any software that allows me to do the same thing (pause a system and save it on the hard drive), but instead exclusive to a software? As in taking a snapshot of it. I'm gonna look into the bios for the virtualization option anyway but having something that can do that to specific programs would be quite better.
>>
>>60011014
Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for.
>>
I have 100+ archives that have known passwords that i used. I need to extract them now. How do i provide a text file of passwords and have it go down the list until it finds one that works then continues on to the next one until done
>>
>>60011280
No.
What's your processor?
>>
>>60011340
ryzen r7 1700
>>
>>60011362
It'll probably be called AMD-v
>>
I'm trying to go further in my overclock for my i5 3570k. I'm not running into any thermal problems and no throttling. I'm getting around 60C with AIDA64 stress test, slightly more with OCCT linpack.

So I have turbo disabled, load line to "extreme", Vcore to 1.3v, (pll and those other options set to default, not auto) and I'm only getting 4.3Ghz. Anything higher and it's immediately unstable. Do I just have a shitty chip? Or is there some other value I should change?

I've vaguely heard that 1.3v is where you should be around for 24/7 use (well I turn off my computer at night and it's just on standby when I'm at work).

My next idea is to just simply up the vcore.

pls no bully I'm trying.
>>
>>60011524
>i5 3570k
>Vcore to 1.3v
>I'm not running into any thermal problems

Impossible.
>>
>>60011457
seems like it was called SMV
>>
How do I make it so that clover is always running in the background?
Also how do I stop random apps from running in the background even though I didn't start them?
>>
>>60010990
If you want something simple and 1 step up from netstat, use sysinternals tcpview (shows udp and tcp realtime, no install or drivers)
>>
I'm in the market for building a new PC and I have everything sorted except for a GPU. I was considering an RX 580 because I want to play games at the highest settings and be comfortable with it. Is there any actual advantage to having an 8GB model as opposed to a 4GB one? or should I just wait for Vega?
>>
is learning japanese worth it

is there a good pack to carry every day, that isn't a backpack and can look good, that can fit an iPad mini
>>
Are there any email hosts that
>allow you to create new addresses quickly and easily
>don't require a password but are still private (e.g. a secret token in the URL to auth or something)
>don't expire the accounts
>>
>>60012066
I think cockmail is the closest, but it still requires you to set a password.
When would you ever NOT want a password, though?
>>
>>60012011
8 is worth it. I'd take a 480 8gb over a 580 4. You probably don't need anything in vega just for 1080/60
>>
>>60012014
>is learning japanese worth it
Do you play h-games?
>>
>>60012011
>Is there any actual advantage to having an 8GB model as opposed to a 4GB one?
Textures. The GPU needs to have textures loaded into its memory in order to render them, so as texture resolution increases, so too does VRAM requirements. 4GB used to be more than enough, but I'm not sure how much modern gaymes are using now.
>>
>>60012080
Because if the server can generate a secret token and store it in the URL which I then bookmark, it's basically just as good as a password but much easier to create disposable accounts.
>>
>>60012101
Or you can use a password manager, which you should be doing anyway.
All of my passwords are 56 randomly generated characters, and I only have to remember one of them: the master password.
>>
I want a VPN to hide my browsing because I don't rust the government. But I also don't trust private companies to not sell my data

Should I just cut my internet cable?
>>
>>60012118
And i only have to gain access to one of your passwords, the master password, to have access to all your accounts.Password managers offer a single point of failure, and should not be used
>>
>>60012128
And how would you gain access to it, anon? Because it's not stored anywhere.
But yeah, your bookmarks are clearly much more secure. Don't worry, they're definitely not stored in plaintext.
>>
File: 1479320426046.jpg (94KB, 562x730px) Image search: [Google]
1479320426046.jpg
94KB, 562x730px
Okay. OKAY.

Out of seemingly nowhere, my Toshiba 5TB (double layer) HDD no longer works, as in it's not being recognized by the OS neither the BIOS.

It is connected though, and it makes these noises as if it was trying to read something (speeds up) and then it suddenly stops (and you can hear the thing clogging or something).

Am I fucked? I had fucking EVERYTHING on that drive, my main backup. Whoppity do what do?
>>
>>60010854
>>
>>60012118
I use one, but it's still tedious to create new accounts and unnecessarily secure for my use case.

I think you're right though, cockli seems to be the way to go.
>>
>>60012154
>Am I fucked?
Yes.
>my main backup
If it's just a backup, then continue using your main system until you can secure another drive as a backup.
>>
>>60012182
>Yes.
Please, explain.
>If it's just a backup, then continue using your main system until you can secure another drive as a backup.
Lost stuff is mostly media (like movies, anime and music). Nothing of work, thankfully.

Also, do double layer HDD just fucking give up like that? I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work.
>>
What's the best way to play PC desktop/laptop quality steam games portably.

I've seen the Nvidia shield tablet and the GPD Win, I know the steamboy is coming but it doesn't look like nonbackers can buy yet and have seen the pgs lab but it looks fishy.

Anything I missed?
>>
How do i delete the last 3 characters of a filename,recursivly.
>>
>>60012194
Yes, as in it sounds like your drive will never spit out another byte of information.

"Double layer" doesn't make it special. Drives up and die all the time. Unless you want to spend a few hundred dollars having some corporate specialist physically open up the platters and try to manually recover the data, just use your warranty and copy what you have from your primary drives and be done with it.
>>
>>60012272
Damn, I knew this day would come, but not like this. (Also, to be sure I used a whole different set of cables and it didn't made a difference).

Any recommendations on what brand/size should I buy? Speeds are just an after-thought for me anyway.
>>
>>60012302
They'll probably replace it with an identical drive, which is as good as anything. Otherwise it's mostly just about what's cheapest, minus what has shit reviews, and depending on how many drive bays you want to use.
>>
>>60010944
Make sure the drive you're copying TO is using a filesystem that supports larger than 4GB files. Basically, don't copy to FAT or FAT32 formatted drives.
>>
>>60012251
My guess would be an 11.6" chromebook or an xps13 or tablet or something similar remoting in to a desktop. I've considered getting a chuwi hi12 so I could play VNs on the porch

My question:
How would a $100-200 camera compare to a top of the line smartphone camera? Current phone has a meh camera for low light .
>>
>>60012302
I'd just buy two drives this time and RAID1 them.
>>
>>60009302
Internal display's already pretty hard to break, if you smash it hard enough that that'd get damaged, a screen protector won't help much.
>>
>>60012340
RAID1 is not a backup.
>>
>>60012340
>Paying twice for one HDD
>>
>>60012363
>having redundancy in your information to prevent data loss is not a backup
Whatever you say.
>>
>>60012347
>Phone falls from 3rd floor
>Still fine
>Falls from night table
>Display breaks

Lasted 3 years tho.
See:
>>60010854
>>
>>60012426
You have one copy of your data, supported by two drives. If a virus fucks shit up, if you accidentally delete something, if there's bit rot, if your controller is having a bad day, if there's an electrical surge, if someone jacks your computer, you're boned. Literally the only thing it helps with is single drive failure. And on many systems you wont even know if one of the drives failed. Unless you're running a server that needs 100% up time, you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>60003802
In Chrome, is there anyway to restore previous tabs without delving into the full history?

I had a crash, reopened without restoring previous session, closed that quickly without thinking, and now I'm pretty sure I've lost the tabs data, especially because I've not reopened it a THIRD time which seems to have pushed it back once more with Current session being the one I'm posting in and last session being the one singular tab I had open in the fuckup session.
>>
>>60012426
Drive failure isn't that much of a risk compared to accidental deletion/OS fuckups/malware/fire/theft/flood/etc, in all of those cases a backup works, RAID does nothing.

RAID is more for reducing downtime than it is keeping data safe.
>>
>>60012485
>in all of those cases a backup works
But he already said it's a backup drive. How would RAID1'ing a backup drive NOT reduce the chance of data loss?
>>
>>60012503
It's a mitigation for one fairly minor risk, that forgoes the opportunity to mitigate many more likely risks, for no benefit that matters to a home user. I get why it sounds nice, but unless you absolutely cant have your compute be off for one day out of every five or six years, it's just a waste and a false sense of security.
>>
>>60012503
Using it as second independent backup, preferably in a different physical location is still lower risk than RAID.

They're also not using it as just a backup, its also media storage.
>>
>>60003802

What's the ideal way to handle Linux users with a system that will probably be used by only one or two users?

I heard that in general you should keep administrator users to do admin tasks only, a leave regular computing tasks for a regular account. So I was thinking of having a sudoer as the admin, my personal account for day to day activities, and a 'guest' account for anybody else who wants to user my machine. Is this a good idea, or have I missed anything?
>>
File: 1491129442530.png (876KB, 1080x836px) Image search: [Google]
1491129442530.png
876KB, 1080x836px
how to compare vector elements in rust?
when i try:
 some_vec[0] == some_vec[1] 

I get error[E0382]: use of moved value: `some_vec`
>>
File: buwwhhh.jpg (353KB, 956x720px) Image search: [Google]
buwwhhh.jpg
353KB, 956x720px
What's the difference between these 2 torrents?
1- https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=741536&showfiles=c5a498f9

2- https://www.nyaa.se/?page=view&tid=741139&showfiles=75d6b153
>>
>>60012878
One has more seeders
>>
>>60012878
Filenames are different.
>>
File: 1489481750537.gif (171KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
1489481750537.gif
171KB, 218x218px
Does anyone know any good guides on how to Install Lineage OS?

I've only got one guide and I'm not sure if they are good enough.
http://www.lineageosrom.com/2016/12/how-to-install-lineage-os-rom.html
>>
>>60012924
Flash recovery, install rom
How fucking hard.
>>
>>60012636
Root, my account is sudoer and guests can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>60012924
Yeah that's pretty much it if you've already got recovery. But most phones have their own guide on xda.
>>
File: 1450692651216.png (933KB, 903x1027px) Image search: [Google]
1450692651216.png
933KB, 903x1027px
>>60012914
Oh ok, I didn't see that, thank you.
>>
File: 1453874520187.png (198KB, 413x413px) Image search: [Google]
1453874520187.png
198KB, 413x413px
>>60012953
Alright, guess that I'll use this guide then.
>>
>>60013000
Nice trips
[spoiler]sauce?[/spoiler]
>>
>>60013014
Spoilers don't work on /g/, /v/.
>>
If i over locked slightly to 4.2 and left the voltage on auto, should i also leave the BCLK as auto or set it to 100. I can see in auto it sometimes changes between 99-100.33
>>
>>60013065
Mean oveclocked not locked baka
>>
Why do we hate the Chinese again?
>>
Is Windows 10 LTSB worth trying?
I even have some free legit Windows (10,8,7) keys due to uni, I wouldn't mind just downloading an .iso and activating it if needed thought (currently running Windows 8)
>>
>>60013192
Do you plays games? Then just use win 10 pro.
If you don't care about games then sure get ltsb.
>>
I tried to install TWRP Recovery using Odin but it failed

Anyone know why?

My phone is rooted, but not anything else.
>>
>>60013462
The second time I tried, Odin stopped at "SetupConnection.."

Any reason at all? And how to fix this?
>>
I'm hosting a some python code in a repository, but I'm not including any of the PyPI modules I've used so far. What's the best practice when it comes to adding those modules? Do I just leave it to would-be devs to get the modules themselves?
>>
>>60013462
try heimdall
>>
File: file.png (653KB, 1120x517px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
653KB, 1120x517px
>webm plays fine in chrome
>download it
>this shit happens every time I do

help

I won't be able to upload this to the gondola channel if I can't figure out why it's doing this
>>
>>60012066
Probably not what you want but I always use temp-mail.org as it lets me specify the mail prefix
>>
File: 1486383989534.jpg (115KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1486383989534.jpg
115KB, 500x667px
I'll be traveling over seas for the next few months.
What are the best options to gain internet access?
Is there a site that review ISPs? Or are there some carriers that are recommended?
>>
>>60014025
Uninstall, install/reinstall klite.
>>
Sup /g/
I'm replacing my GPU for the first time since installation and so I don't horribly fuck myself I thought I'd ask you some stupid questions.
I'm moving up from a 660 Ti to a 1050

What do I need to be aware of?
Dimensions?
Wattage?

Picture unrelated
>>
>>60014134
I just did and it still has the same result
>>
What's the best way in Python to tell a different program to close gracefully? (i.e not just killing the process immediately without giving it a chance to save any data it needs to or whatever)
>>
File: 1492725383595.png (592KB, 914x898px) Image search: [Google]
1492725383595.png
592KB, 914x898px
what's the best program out there to rip a copy protected movie dvd?
i want to save on local a movie I bought yesterday, but also want the menu and all the extra scenes

thanks
>>
Is there a comprehensive audio encoding frontend for windows like soundkonverter for linux?
>>
>>60014327
DVDFab, but I personally used it only for simplest things like 3 times in my life
>>
File: 1490499491641.png (552KB, 639x485px) Image search: [Google]
1490499491641.png
552KB, 639x485px
I received an email from my ISP that basically boils down to this:

>Hey, [corporation] sent us a notice that says you violated copyright law
>Please stop

Is there anything special I should do here?
>>
is computer science really that bad
>>
Pc is telling me to update TMP 2.0 drivers, tried to apply the correction but nothing happens, what to do?
>>
File: amd_05.jpg (334KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
amd_05.jpg
334KB, 1440x1080px
>>60014150
>I'm moving up from a 660 Ti to a 1050
is that actually a move up?
>>
File: 1457207864675.png (15KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1457207864675.png
15KB, 800x600px
linux bash script
cropping many images

1. could there be possible that I could use some software that would launch from the script, opened image, allowed me to make rectangle selection, gather that data and use it in cropping for 200 images? Like feh?

I assume not, so I have to put initial data in manually

which means lot of "1200x800" kind of data that I need to do simple addition and substraction.

top_left_corner="313x11"
bottom_right_corner="1606x1004"
resolution="1920x1059"

calculate_crop=

is there simple elegant way to get crop dimmensions? from top_left_corner and bottom_right_corner variables?
cuz what my previous programming experience is telling me, is that that I actually need to do is get first part of the string, convert to integer, substract, get second part of the string split by 'x', integer, substract, and then combine in to new value..

and its all OK, but bash often surprises me with how simple some things can be
is there some simple way too? I could always put those values in 4 variables, but I deal with those dimmension style values often, so it might be handy to learn now
>>
Will cloning windows onto another device cause any issues with/ remove windows from the device I'm cloning it from?

I've built a new PC and didn't purchase windows with it, so I'm thinking of getting a copy from a laptop onto a USB that I'll boot with, but don't know whether it'll fuck with the windows on the laptop since I still use it
>>
I'm considering installing win 10 ltsb, currently running legit pro version. I downloaded the evaluation iso from ms, but is it safe to use kmsauto net tool? or will it install russian spyware shit?

I can't get access to the mdl forums. so can't download anything from there

and will it be worth it? i want to get rid of all the bloat
>>
>>60014551
Depends on the windows version.
Win 10 is locked to the mobo.
Other versions will through a BSoD it it detected different hardware.
>>
>>60014150
>dimension
it have to fit in your case, so yes.
>Wattage?
yes. If it's the same W or less than your current GPU it's okay, if it's more, you need to make sure your PSU can handle it.

>>60014127
sauce ?

>>60014025
have you tried with another video player ?

>>60013117
we don't. Ask /pol/ they should give you a better answer

>>60012636
If it's your home computer, you can just give yourself sudo rights, and have a guest account.
If the second guy will use it often, maybe he will want a dedicated account. If he needs rights one some stuff, manage it with groups.
>>
>have 144hz monitor
>only displays at 60hz
What do?
>>
>>60014593
What kind of cable are you using?
>>
>>60014592
It works with MPV for some reason
>>
>>60014620
displayport
>>
>>60014577
It is windows 10 aye, so is there no way around having to take the Jew willy?
>>
>>60014646
You should be able to get 144hz by changing your display settings. It's in the nvidia/amd control panel.
>>
>>60014658
Use GNU/Linux, I recommend RedHat linux.
>>
File: crrr.jpg (128KB, 633x634px) Image search: [Google]
crrr.jpg
128KB, 633x634px
>>60014675
>gnu/linux
>>
>>60014626
best thing to do is to report the bug to the people developing the video player you were using. They might ask you what's your GPU, drivers, etc. so they can fix it or give you a fix if someone had the same problem.
>>
I've read this somewhere, just need you guys opinions. I HDD with external case better than external HDD? why? Also, what about pic related? Which is better for long term storage?
>>
>>60014568
Just do a clean install and run ultimate tweaker 4. LTSB is intended for ATMs and shit.
>>
I took my PC into a PC repair shop and watched the dude work on my computer. I saw him on some program that I hadn't installed either. When I got home I checked the recycle bin and saw a folder called Ludashi and had some other chink shit in there.

I looked up Ludashi and it appears to be some Chinese PC reviewer type thing. But then there's also a lot of people asking if it's a virus. I ran a scan and my PC came clean.

Should I be worried?
>>
im doing a project and have to speed up my hours long video to a few minutes. i cant find any free/working software
>>
>>60014859
People ask if everythings a virus. Run MBAM and learn to fix your own shit.
>>
>>60014870
shotcut
>>
Whats the best altcoin to mine at the moment?
>>
>>60014870
I use kdenlive for that, but Iam on linux
but theres windows version released recently
>>
>>60014877
>>60014918
ill check out both, thanks
>>
>>60010423
pls help
>>
>>60010423
>>60014985
http://stackoverflow.com/a/848385
>>
>>60014985
try Syncback
it might have settings for that
>>
>>60015003
Does this work on windows command prompt?
>>
>>60015029
no, should have specified that you want a windows solution.

look at robocopy, it already ships with windows and has a /maxage setting.
https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc733145(v=ws.11).aspx
>/maxage:<N> Specifies the maximum file age (to exclude files older than N days or date).
>>
>>60014713
If anything I'd say that buying an enclosure and putting a hard drive in it can be even more headache. Every enclosure I've bought (though admittedly I have always gone for the cheap ones) introduced asinine spin-down timeouts in the range of a few minutes, leading to I/O errors constantly popping up when a program tried to access something on them and they couldn't get the drive spinning again fast enough. Maybe your luck would be better if you sprung for an expensive enclosure, but why bother?

Also even if a premade enclosure fails, you can always pop the drive out of it and reinstall it in your case or in whatever enclosure you like, provided the drive itself is not dead. (And if it was then you'd have been fucked no matter where it was.) I'm not aware of any property of a premade enclosure that would cause this to happen noticeably faster, unless you have a cat that likes to knock it over all the time while it's running or something.
>>
>>60014713
Because it used to be cheaper that way.
Today it doesn't worth it.
However I still use 2.5' HDD with enclosure because I need to transfer files between different machines, so I don't need any power adapter, also some of these machines are laptops, so HDD caddy can speed things up.
And since 2.5' are less likely to fail because of smaller platter size.
All in all making it much more appealing to me.
>>
Is there a free to-do app that's as good as todoist? I really like it - the natural language syntax, design, management - but it doesn't do push notifications.
>>
>>60004235
Windows Defender has a lot of holes. Use a good third party AV (e.g. AVG).
>>
Installed a new secondary 2TB seagate hard drive to a desktop pc, and after a few days now it takes the Pc a lot longer to boot up, once it booted it works fine

What can cause this?
>>
>>60014713
Not much difference but when you buy a drive separately you know exactly what you'll get instead of just the cheapest drive available at the time.

If it's for backups I always re-use my internal drives after upgrading them.
Used drives are tried and tested, so the chance of them failing is smaller than new drives.
>>
>>60015146
Does the OS take more time to boot, or does it take longer until it starts?

Drives usually spin up one at a time to avoid peak loads.
So for every drive you add you can expect a few seconds extra boot time.
>>
I need a a bash script that can hyperlink all files in a local directory listing to a html file. all I have found so far have been broken or failed on spaces in the filenames.
how do the rest of you remember what filenames in a series you have watched already without seeing the color change in the hyperlink?
>>
>>60015146
Check the boot order in the BIOS.
Make sure your OS drive is first.
>>
Is it recommended to install and keep software provided with motherboard? I think about all those "App Centers" and similar provided by Gigabyte or Asus, with soft for bios update, overlocking, RAM drives and such, not the actual drivers.
>>
>>60015661
no, don't even install them, they're awful.
>>
>>60015661
Fan control software maybe. The rest usually no.
>>
>>60006274
*.mat
>>
File: Untitled.png (6KB, 670x295px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
6KB, 670x295px
>Chrome
>Not shite
>>
Let's say:
1: I install Windows 10 as guest VM in VMware.
2: In VMware, I specify a private network between the host and the guest.
3: My host has an internet connection.

Is there any known way that Windows 10 can escape the private network and get access to the internet?

(Assuming, of course, that I haven't deliberately run any other software on my host that can bridge between the private network and the internet.)
>>
File: 41terS0n1HL.jpg (28KB, 500x425px) Image search: [Google]
41terS0n1HL.jpg
28KB, 500x425px
HP EliteBook 8560W 15" Notebook PC - Intel Core i7-2620M 2.7GHz 8GB 500GB

$300 refurb?

Yay or nay?
>>
>>60015691
>>60015680

What are good open source alternatives for such things? Overlocking, RAMdisks, etc?
>>
Why are electron applications so bad?
>>
Is this a good thing to use to turn my laptop hard drive into an external?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZXQHL4/ref=twister_B00IITU6QI?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
>>
>>60015914
For just a little more you can get an Elitebook 840 with a more modern CPU like a Broadwell. I bought my 840 which came with a 128gb SSD, 8gb ram, and an i5-5300U for around $320. Near excellent condition too.
>>
>getting windows detected a hard disk problem error every 10mins
>no money to replace it
>about 20gb of photos and documents that I don't want to lose
what do?
>>
File: 22042017030.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
22042017030.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
How does the headphone jack on the CD/DVD drive work?
>>60015914
/tpg/ might be a better place to ask
>>60016191
unplug and plug it again when you do have somewhere to transfer the data to
>>
I wanna install this driver https://github.com/maxinbjohn/robotic_arm_driver to program my robotic arm toy thing, but I have no idea how to even complete the first sentence of the installation. Can someone point me in the right direction?
>>
>>60016307
In the time when these headphone jacks were common, most computer CPUs were not powerful enough to process realtime CD-quality audio, especially not while doing other work. The “analog” and “digital audio” output jacks on the back panel connected directly to the add-on sound card installed in the computer, and when playing an audio CD the data never touched the CPU — it was simply mixed by the sound card’s mixer device into the audio output.

A sound card was a fairly expensive add-on, and many computers didn’t have one installed. However, the ASIC required to decode CD audio was cheap enough (from wide usage in stereo system components and portable CD players, etc.) to integrate directly into the CD-ROM drive, along with a cheap amplifier to drive a headphone jack. What this offered, then, was a nearly stand-alone CD-audio playback device, which only required a small control signal from the CD Player application often bundled with the operating system.
>>
>>60016084

Ok, I'll check that out real quick. Thanks for the info.
>>
how in the fuck do i filter youtube? im so sick of having it auto select listicles i could puke i hate them and everything about them and yet somehow i still end on on looper or richest or one of those awful channels of horrible content

how do i end this maddness?
>>
>>60015956
Overclocking, your BIOS.

RAMdisk, don't.
>>
>>60016394
Thanks for the insight.
The drive is connected to the pc by ide and it has headers at the back for digital and analog audio. Is it still possible to feed the preprocessed signal to the pc or do motherboards not bother with those headers anymore? I would assume they include the decoding asic on board nowadays.
I don't know how to control it (using win10). I remember there was a very simple audio program built into winXP, did that provide the control signal you speak of?
The drive itself only has the jack and a volume wheel on the front.
I think I read at some point that people made these drives into stand-alone players, any other cool things you've seen or know can be done?
>>
>>60016664
To be honest, I'm not sure.
IDE no longer supported as far as I know.
Maybe you can try powering it up and connect it and see?
>any other cool things you've seen or know can be done?
I did this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceYFpx-7aSg
>>
>>60016567

Whats wrong with RAMdisks? Really fast and you can configure it to drop backup of its contents on drive before you shut down PC and autorestore it after booting.
>>
any anons know of some aussie sites for good deals? fuck paying a fuck ton for a graphics card that's only for hardware acceleration & rendering
>>
File: 1442692779824.jpg (7KB, 168x196px) Image search: [Google]
1442692779824.jpg
7KB, 168x196px
alright I'm going crazy right now

I have 2 monitors, 1 in vga/dvi, the other in DP
energy saving and all that stuff is turned off
pc was on, running fine like always, I leave for 10 minutes, come back and the DP screen is just black
its power led is on, but it doesnt appear anymore in nvcp, windows settings dont detect it either

I tried restarting multiple times, plugging it on-off, tried others DP ports on the card ( monitor only has 1 port ), checked the nvcp settings which havent changed anyway

I just did a fresh install with last nvidia drivers, same situation, I'm on win10 ( inb4)

the screen just stays black, even during boot, no 'no signal' message or anything like that
pls halp
>>
>>60016763
Also really small. And if there's a sudden crash, bye bye data. You don't actually need that kind of speed for almost anything. That's the whole point of regular ram usage.
>>
>>60016943
>aussie
>good deals
Move. You'll probably spend less even after the plane ticket.
>>
new thread >>60017429
new thread >>60017429
new thread >>60017429
>>
>>60017191
Sounds like your screen is boned, or the cable. For obvious reasons I'd try replacing the cable first.
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 56

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.