[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't they make a slightly modular laptop where the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: MB_Internals.jpg (202KB, 1018x711px) Image search: [Google]
MB_Internals.jpg
202KB, 1018x711px
Why don't they make a slightly modular laptop where the "shell" which includes the screen, keyboard and battery has a slot to replace the motherboard with the integrated SoC?
Almost like an ExpressCard, manufactures would just release upgraded versions each year and different SKUs (CPU, RAM, GPU).
You pop out the old one and insert a new one, without the need to replace the whole body.
>>
File: x320.jpg (713KB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
x320.jpg
713KB, 3000x2000px
>>59992646
they want to sell you a new full price machine every 4-6 years
>>
Because that has literally never attracted buyers before. People want new hotness to be visible and to be ENTIRELY new, in part because they damage the shells and also because that's the visible part. Vision is everything. People are vain.
>>
>>59992646
People don't care about computer specs, they just want their computer to look new.
It's why people trade in their cars mere seconds after paying them off, they just want a new car, NEW NEW NEW, can't have people thinking you're poor, good goy.
>>
>>59992646
i think an universal form factor for laptops motherboards boards and conectors is required (like atx matx etc on the desktop pc)
>>
>>59992646
It's quite doable now, somebody just needs to do it.

With the way SOC's are going all you'd need is some sort of connector or header to the guts of the 'laptop.' Heck if you make all the inputs standardized you can hook damn near any SBC up inside of it.

How much would people pay for it? There are gay ones already which look ridiculous and aren't very sturdy or nice. I'd pay $800 or more for just the shell if it was pre-chinkpad Thinkpad build quality.
>>
>>59992646
They did and probably still do. Go buy any big laptop.
>>
HP Elite x3.
>>
>>59993391
It's funny you should say that since a German lad installed a Core M stick PC in the shell of a 1998 vintage IBM Thinkpad 600
>>
>>59992646
I'm not sure if you noticed this yet but laptops don't actually have a standardized motherboard layout. Each company has their own custom layouts produced all the time with different exhaust placements.

You're asking for an entire industry to standardize their motherboard layouts, which is just unrealistic unless the market demands it.
>>
>>59994230
That's not what OP is talking about.
>>
RasPi here you go
>>
>>59992646
it would be 1/2" thicker and normies wouldn't buy it
>>
>>59992646
You can literally do this for every no thin and light laptop you fucking tech illiterate.
>>
>>59992646
>why don't (((they)))

I think you answered your own question, OP.
>>
>>59992646
Then ((they)) could not sell you a full laptop every 2 years.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.