[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>not really tech savvy, just a bit more knowledge than normies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

>not really tech savvy, just a bit more knowledge than normies
>not much free time because of work, life and uni
>don't want (((google))) and similar botnets to collect and sell info about me
Is it possible to use linux as a "casual" without much free time? I am willing to learn basic stuff, but I am not an enthusiast or anything like that. I just want a faster and safer system that doesn't spy on me.
>>
Install Gentoo
>>
>>59985336
>Is it possible to use linux as a "casual" without much free time?
Yes, install Ubuntu.

As long as you don't need any of the Windows exclusive software (if you don't know what they are then you don't) you'll be just fine on Ubuntu.
>>
>>59985336

who's this rei
>>
as said previously, ubuntu is jesus' second coming if you need the essentials, if you care about gaming on anything other than clones and emulators mint w playonloonix gets you quite far until you start needing consistency
just use win 7 and debloat as much as humanly possible, it sure works for me
>>
>>59985336
I'd fug this rei
>>
>>59985336
I want to grab those tits so bad.
>>
>>59985336
Install Ubuntu and read the EFF guides to privacy.
>>
>>59985336
I use Ubuntu 16.04 exclusively on my laptop which I use almost daily and have basically no programming experience whatsoever. All I know is a bit of Matlab and some Bash commands (no idea about writing Bash scripts) - only enough to get by (ie package manager, basically). The only software I'm missing is solidworks (3D modeling) and I probably wouldn't do that stuff on the go anyway.
>>
>>59986253
>>59986213
>>59985701
>>59985957
>Ubuntu
can I rice it to my liking? I don't like how it looks
>>59986213
>EFF guides to privacy
nice thanks
>>
>>59986398
The next version will ship with gnome instead of unity so you'll probably like that more.
Of course you can further customize it though.
>>
>>59986493
>will ship with gnome instead of unity
Nevermind that's not happening until next year.
>>
File: rei.jpg (122KB, 817x1224px) Image search: [Google]
rei.jpg
122KB, 817x1224px
>>59985765
Couldn't find who she is.
But found more pics via image search.
Maybe this is a job for /cgl/?
>>
>>59986398
I'm >>59986253
You can rice it plenty, and you don't have to use unity, you can use any DE. There are a number of *buntus that come with different DEs by default, like Xubuntu (xfce) or Lubuntu (lxde). I'm using KDE neon, a special snowflake replacement to Kubuntu (kde), but for all intents and purposes, it's just ubuntu 16.04 with kde plasma. Mine isn't really riced, but the potential is there, moreso with other DEs though. I used xfce before but have been using kde for a while because it just werks for me.
>>
>>59985336
Rei is a shit girl
Erwin is best girl
>>
>>59986896
kys
>>
>>59986914
no u
>>
>>59986869
thank you for your help kind anon, will look into it when I finally get my t420 memepad
>>
>>59986555
did you find out anything new?
>>
I prefer Kowaru
>>
File: manjaro.png (257KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
manjaro.png
257KB, 1440x900px
If you understand what image related is, then I'd say you can use Manjaro linux without any problems.
>>
>>59986896
>>59987232
This is a Rei board. Fuck off.
>>
>>59987283
Well hell he could probably use Arch Linux if he used one of those installers like Arch Everywhere. The only real things Pamac is missing IMO are pictures and a more "Intuitive" name used for searching if it's GUI.
>>
>>59987482
>unironically a reifag
RMA yourself
>>
>>59985765
>>59986555

https://twitter.com/xuefeiorz

???
>>
>>59985336
You'll want a non-rolling distro, so you set everything up once and then not have to deal with it for years.
>>
If all you need is to browse the web and do some basic file management than any live distro will work.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.