[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is (FFS approved) Trisquel OS worth it? I want to install it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: trisquel.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
trisquel.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
Is (FFS approved) Trisquel OS worth it? I want to install it on my laptop. Or should I just stick with Xubuntu?
>>
>>59985138
I meant FSF :)
>>
>>59985138
The FSF has the answer to that question on their website. What the fuck are you doing here asking advice from a bunch of shitposters?
>>
>>59985138
http://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
>>
>>59985138
It's literally Ubuntu LTS with non-free software removed, so if your system works without those it's totally OK and worth using it.
>>
>>59985138
Some of it isn't worth it. For example, proprietary firmware binaries that do NOT run on the central CPU but on devices by cheap companies aren't allowed in those repositories.

I personally agree with Theo's rational behind the inclusion of binaries for OpenBSD- those firmware binaries would be included in the hardware anyway so it doesn't matter. If you don't want those, don't buy that hardware. Binary blobs, which are similar but run on central CPU, are NOT included in central OpenBSD by default because of security issues.

Theo put it best in a rant against LibertyBSD which I could dig up, but essentially he made a point that FSF zealotry was non-pragmatic and hypocritcial.
>>
>>59985138
if you're willing to go libre, trisquel is hands down the best choice (unless you're willing to try out parabola: the libre version of arch).

beware of one thing though: trisquel's don't support closed-source wifi drivers. prepare to settle for wired internet on you laptop if you choose trisquel.

also make use to use the "mini" version that comes with LXDE instead of Gnome. It's light on the battery.
>>
>>59985471
>closed-source
>>
>>59985579
i mean botnet.... ??
>>
>>59985163
Sadly, this. if you want a chuckle at a pack of amateurs shit slinging half truths and anecdotal evidence at each other, /g/'s the place to be. If you want actual advice and sensible discourse on technology and computing, you've made a wrong turn somewhere if you're asking /g/
>>
but if you wifi driver is non-free you are fucked because you cant use it.

in other case works very well
>>
>>59985163
All i can see is a page essentially saying its FSF approved because muh freedoms. nothing on whether its "worth it" or why one would choose Trisquel over another distro, e.g. *buntu
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.