[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we stop the move towards applications as a service? Fuck

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

How do we stop the move towards applications as a service?

Fuck this subscription model bullshit. $10 a month for MS Office? $20 a month for Adobe Illustrator. Imagine if other tools you owned did this. imagine having to subscribe to your screwdriver company just to access a screwdriver? $50 to subscribe to a password manager.

I do what I can shunning the big companies who are forcing subscriptions onto me, I use Pixelmater and Affinity Designer now, fuck Adobe. But today I saw that an astronomy app on my phone is putting all it's new features to a subscription only service, not even a one off in-app purchase.

Pic related: the kind of freedom using a computer used to feel like.
>>
>>59981274
>$50 to subscribe to a password manager.
thats your problem here, using a password manager. don't you have a brain god gave you?
>>
Totally agree. It has to stop now.
>>
>>59981274
they haven't figured how to improve their software so they could release a new iteration once in a while, so they figured they need your money somehow and that's through paying monthly for the same shit
>>
>>59981274
subscription models bring in more $$$$
nobody cares that you GNU autists draw a comparison to using a screwdriver to using a piece of software i have worked on so fuck off
>>
File: n00901.jpg (46KB, 433x566px) Image search: [Google]
n00901.jpg
46KB, 433x566px
They put the most ridiculous "features" as subscriptions. Duolingo wants you to pay €11 per month just to disable ads. It means you could spend two hundred euros on this app alone and the ads would still reappear once you stopped paying.
>>
>>59981274
>How do we stop the move towards applications as a service?
>Fuck this subscription model bullshit.
It is called capitalism. You don't stop it, you select something you like better. If others agreed with you then the subscription model would go away. But it is obviously working for companies like MS and Adobe.

>I do what I can shunning the big companies who are forcing subscriptions onto me
Great. I do the same thing.

>But today I saw that an astronomy app on my phone is putting all it's new features to a subscription only service, not even a one off in-app purchase.
Sucks. But that is capitalism. The people who made your fav 'app' decided they could make more money with a sub service. There is nothing you or I can do to force them to change their model...other than voting with our wallets.
>>
I can justify $10 a month for photoshop/lightroom no problem, it's much more affordable than the huge one-off cost that they charged before.

Normal people pay for things, and for professional tools that people usually use to make money a reasonable monthly fee is nothing.

If you're not a professional and don't make money then just pirate it like everyone else.
>>
>>59982114
>It is called capitalism
It's called monopoly.
>>
>>59982189
>monopoly
I'm not a fan of MS. But they don't have a monopoly on word processors or office software in general. They are industry standard and they have participated in anti-competitive practices. But they aren't the only game in town when it comes to "office software".

I don't know anything about Adobe Illustrator. After glancing at the wikipedia page, it looks like there are other vector graphics editors that you can use.

I don't know anything about the astronomy software mentioned. Maybe there is a monopoly for that.
>>
>>59981274
Piracy and cracking.
Or just switch to BSD or the Linux operating system.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.