[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we now admit that the Euros trolled the US good with chip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 328
Thread images: 38

File: nothing-makes-sense.jpg (56KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
nothing-makes-sense.jpg
56KB, 625x625px
Can we now admit that the Euros trolled the US good with chip cards? I mean seriously, they are so dogshit, I still have to sign for my purchase, except I now have to stick my card in and wait some indeterminate amount of time between 5-30 seconds until the machine starts beeping loudly at me to remove my card. FFS cash is quicker now.

Meanwhile NFC via phones is quick but nobody anywhere takes NFC except a couple big box stores and it's an *if* it happens to be working at that time thing. Half the time you go to pay and the reader doesn't work and you look like a jackass.
>>
>>59971633
Can we now admit that /b/ threads like this should fuck off back to /b/ where they belong?
>>
>>59971661
>microprocessors contained in credit/debit cards causing problems because they're shit technology is a topic that is /b/ - random and not technology related
uh huh, yeah, okay.
>>
File: 1292704891564.png (817KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1292704891564.png
817KB, 720x540px
>>59971633
I don't know what you're talking about, I live in Greece and over here we just push our card into the slot, it asks for our pin, and we're done
Recently, they introduced newer machines where you can just lightly tap your card on it and it works without a pin, but that is only for cheap stuff

Earlier in January during the sales I spent like 650 Euros on clothes in a single day without any hiccups
>>
>>59971633
>FFS cash is quicker now.
>implying it ever wasn't
>>
Don't blame euros for your inability to implement 10-year old technology right
>>
>>59971675
In the US we used to swipe cards that we had taken out of our wallets while approaching or waiting in line and then had a receipt spit out 1-2 seconds later. Most stores waived signature or PIN entry for transactions under $25 meaning all you had to do was swipe, grab your shit, and go.
>>
>>59971673
>I don't know what you're talking about, I live in Greece and over here we just push our card into the slot, it asks for our pin, and we're done
>Recently, they introduced newer machines where you can just lightly tap your card on it and it works without a pin, but that is only for cheap stuff

Exactly the same here. I don't understand how Americans can fuck something so simple.
>>
>>59971633
After traveling in Europe for a week and using my card every day. I've determined that the US chips are broken or faulty

In Europe the chip is so fast it's literally less than 5 seconds every time. Just insert approve and pull

When I came back to the states all the chip readers take so much fucking longer for some reason even though I'm doing the same steps. I don't get it
>>
>>59971633
I'm an American living in Switzerland. In Europe I use European cards and in the USA I use my USA cards. They all of chips. In Europe it always just works. Tap card to reader, enter pin if it asks, and no wait for it to dial in. Takes about 5 to 10 seconds overall.

In the USA it's always a clusterfuck. The cards have no pins for some reason. They only use it to confirm it's not a skimmed card. You usually have to sign. There's usual a 30 second or longer delay. About 50% of the time when you enter the card they tell you to swipe it instead, and the rest of the time you swipe it and the machine says to enter the card in the chip reader. It's a confusing mess.
>>
>>59971710
>I don't understand how Americans can fuck something so simple.

The answer is contained somewhere within this very sentence...
>>
>>59971633
nigger, magnetic bands are trash
they should ask you for a pin, that you enter
that is how we do things in Europe
>>
If Americans didn't have chips before does that mean you swiped at the ATM? Instead of inserting you card? How did it work?
>>
>>59971661
no we can't do that, gotta keep /g/ pure and clean without any normies, can't have them shitting up our desktop ricing threads and circlejerking about autistic bullshit that no one but us cares about instead of maybe talking about technology like a bunch of adults once in a while. wait, i'm sorry, i'm assuming you're all adults, when i know you're all fucking 12-20 year old idiots.
>>
>>59971768
You dipped the card and either swiped at the ATM + entered pin or the ATM held it for the duration of the transaction anyways.
>>
>>59971730
The problem is POS devices for chips have been in Europe longer. In the US most POS devices designed for chip readers are on a secondary garbage network because they're relatively new and businesses are cheap. Setting up an equal quality connection for a secondary POS device seems arbitrary for them. They'd rather use the main CC/debit site controller/network for standard cards, and push your chip reader to the back of the line in terms of bandwidth importance.
>>
Works in my state™, ya dumb haoles.
>>
>>59971633
Going back to cash here. The chipped card is that fucking annoying.
>>
>>59971633
>I still have to sign
Why do you have to sign? We don't sign in Europe.
>>
>>59971950
Wtf we insert, wait 20 seconds, wait for receipt, sign and then leave in the US. The chips make me want to kill myself.
>>
>>59971781
There is litteraly nothing wrong with fucking 12-20 year old idiots
>>
File: 1450275780696.jpg (1MB, 927x2362px) Image search: [Google]
1450275780696.jpg
1MB, 927x2362px
>>59971673
>we just push our card into the slot, it asks for our pin, and we're done

Portufag here. It's the same here.

>insert card
>dial pin
>done in 5 seconds

What's with americans and their money shenanigans? I hear them complaining about having to insert cards... isn't that the same shit as swiping?

The other day I learned they have to use to credit cards in order to be able to make loans, even though a credit card is already a load in itself. What the fuck is wrong on that side of the Atlantic? No one uses credit cards here, only debit cards.
>>
>>59971917
spoken like a true poor person
everyone with any brains wants to use a high quality credit card for the reward bonuses, the only bonus from cash is germs on your hands
>>
>>59972022
Debit card theft is a huge fucking problem. You can't jsut empty someone's bank account with a CC like you can with a debit because debit is instantaneous.
>>
chip systems are getting better now. at first it was fucking horrible.

>>59971730
>In the USA it's always a clusterfuck. The cards have no pins for some reason. They only use it to confirm it's not a skimmed card. You usually have to sign. There's usual a 30 second or longer delay.
holy shit why are you lying?
>>
File: 1486521271215.jpg (62KB, 550x597px) Image search: [Google]
1486521271215.jpg
62KB, 550x597px
>>59971633

>swipe card
>"sir it's chip"
>Insert chip
>Beep beep beep
>20 seconds pass
>please enter pin
>beep beep beep 10 sec pass
>please sign
>Beep beep beep
>Please remove card

Thanks Europe
Now I have 3 times as many steps to use my damn cards.
>>
>chip
lel, get with the times, America
>>
>>59972048
Britbong here

had chip and pin for the past 10 odd years and never had a single complaint with it .

NFC is even better, can get shit paid for quicker than cash. I haven't carried cash in about 5 years.

Can we agree that americucks are just retarded?
>>
>>59972085
Where's the lie? My USA credit cards don't have pins. The ATM cards have pins but it's not smart to use ATM cards in stores in the USA because you have no protections. I almost always have to sign in the USA although usually you sign on an electronic screen. I usually draw a picture quickly instead of sign.
>>
>>59972051
It's not a problem at all because you need a pin for it to work.

You're also not supposed to have more than 1000 or 2000$ in your account at a given time. Just enough for the daily expenses.
>>
File: tumblr_n0wtvp1xLa1rhrguuo1_540.jpg (49KB, 527x414px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n0wtvp1xLa1rhrguuo1_540.jpg
49KB, 527x414px
>>59972127
>>59972138

So ill admit the US handing of these chips is bad.
It took an executive order just to get us to switch over.
>>
>>59971633
>America fucks up the implementation requiring to sign as well as a pin because muh fraud,
>have shitty banking infrastructure so It takes forever to register
>blame euros
really makes your synapses polarise
>>
>>59972169
>credit card
ohhhhhhhhhhh
my bad.
>>
>>59972127
I live in finland and wireless is standard pretty much everywhere, except atms. You dont even have to take the card out of you wallet, you just hold you wallet within 5 cm of the reader for 2 - 5 seconds and thats it. Only works for purchases under 25€ tho, otherwise you have to use a pin.
>>
>>59971977
w..t..f
>>
>>59971633
>>59972086

>2017
>complaining about chip and pin

Pentium 3's were cutting edge when chip and pin was introduced in the civilised world.

Where do you live? Congo?
>>
>>59971633
I live in Spainstan and I make all my paymentss (Mall, Supermarket, Gas, etc.) contactless.
So yes. Maybe we trolled you a bit.
>>
>>59971633
How the fuck do you ever have to wait for 30 seconds? That error does definitely not lie with chip cards.

t. uses them daily and literally never had an issue of any sort. The entire process takes 5 seconds or so, I'd estimate.
>Insert card
>Enter PIN
>Confirm transaction

How do americans manage to have trouble with this?
>>
>>59972293
donde compras contactless, negro?
>>
>>59972086
>Go to insert chip
>Fucking cardboard insert is sticking in the slot
>Sorry sir we don't have our chip set up yet
>Have to swipe.
ffs every store is different. Half have the chip and half still don't.
>>
>>59972022
owning and paying off a credit cards shows you're not a deadbeat

How do you not get that?
>>
>>59972328
Hopefully you corrected him on his gender assumption by using "sir".
>>
>>59971735
They do it with everything too.

How the fuck do they not have a state sanctioned biometric ID yet? Relying on a fucking easily guessed or stolen SSN is ridiculous.

And that's not even mentioning the social security clusterfuck of idiocy behind that number.
>>
>>59971633
Man, you guys must be in the stone age over there. Pretty much every where here has tap for debit and credit (you set your own purchase limit on your cards, above that you do chip & pin). Even NFC phone payments are starting to become fairly prevalent here.
>>
>>59971697
>Most stores waived signature or PIN entry for transactions under $25
that never happened
>>
>>59971633
contactless is the future
>>
You fucking american plebs are just now moving to chips while we have wireless nfc payment.
>>
Wait, signing? Why would you have to sign anything when using a plastic card? That sounds like a good way to make you queues go glacially slow.
Do you guys not just stick it in, enter the pin and take it out?
>>
>>59972347
you know what also shows that you're not a deadbeat?
not having to take out loans daily.
>>
File: 1492573225444.jpg (20KB, 254x225px) Image search: [Google]
1492573225444.jpg
20KB, 254x225px
one more time, to my beloved burgers:

CARD SECURITY 101
EU EDITION
>clerk asks for your card and id
>clerk checks the id corresponds to the card
>clerk asks you to put your credit card in the machine (reading the chip)
>machine asks you for a 4 digit pin
>payment done, you take your card out of the machine and you are out

INTERNET EDITION
>store asks for card info, after showing you the amount you have to pay
>you enter number, expiration date and 3 number code
>press ok
>you are redirected to your banks website, showing your name, and the amount you are going to pay (again, to confirm the store amount asked)
>the website asks for a SMS code you have been sent to your mobile phone (it lasts for only 5 minutes)
>you enter the code from your phone into the banks website
>everything is ok, the bank website redirects you to the store's website
>stores acknowledges your payment and you are good to go back to shitpost here

I AM AMAZED THIS IS NOT HAPPENING IN THE USA, A CARD FRAUD DEN
>>
The US is a trash third world country. Canada has been on tap technology for years now and the US has barely began to implement chip tech.
>>
>>59972347
>owning and paying off a credit cards shows you're not a deadbeat

What the fuck is a deadbeat?
How is taking loans constantly considered something positive in America? If someone around here takes a loan it means he's a poorfag out of cash.
>>
>>59972447
I've literally never seen any store ask for an ID when you pay by card.
>>
>>59971781
>he thinks being on 4chan outside of the 12-20 years old range is a good thing
>>
>>59972370
I don't know where you live but Safeway, Homegoods, Bed Bath and Beyond, etc. all waive signatures under $25 on purchases for convenience.

>>59972425
You have to be a retard with no self will in the US to not use credit wisely. Seriously let's examine the benefits:
>Almost all credit cards in the US have no annual fee
>Almost all credit cards in the US charge no interest if you pay the bill in full each month (e.g. if you pay off all the shit you bought in april entirely, you won't pay any interest whatsoever)
>Almost all credit cards in the US offer rewards. I get 2% cashback on any purchase

>good credit cards offer extended warranties (24 months on anything I buy with a year or more warranty) for free on anything I buy
>good credit cards offer extended return windows (90 days) on almost everything you buy, no extra charge
>good credit cards offer 60-90 day price protection and refund up to $500 per purchase if the item goes on sale at any retailer within that period (you get the difference back), free of charge
>good credit cards offer accidental damage/theft coverage on purchases, free of charge
>good credit cards offer travel benefits like rental car damage coverage free of charge
>all of those benefits are available on just one of my credit cards that has no annual fee and I pay no interest on

I make several claims a year to my credit card companies on these benefits and my claims typically exceed $1,000/year in total. Hell, I had Hertz Canada claiming some shenanigans recently and that is worth $500 on its own.
>without credit card
I owe $500
>with credit card
Hertz sends the paperwork to my credit card company and the credit card company pays them. I don't get charged a cent.
>>
>>59972300
>How do americans manage to have trouble with this?
seeing how stupid the average american is i guess they have troubles remembering their pin and thats why it takes so long ?
>>
>>59972518
>in the US
man, good thing we're talking about Europe, not the US.
>>
>>59972187
good that you mention it, time to transfer that shit to my savings account
>>
>>59972483
yeah
someone told me that on /pol/ the other day
the same with the 2FA on online purchases

I can't help but think the USA system cashes on card fraud
>>
>>59972551
The average american also usually has multiple cards. I'm a bit on the high end but still, here's an example:

>I have two debit cards (internet bank + local bank). I have PINs on both of these.

>I have a total of 13 credit cards from 8 issuers
>most of them don't have PINs, a couple have PIN optional but prefer signature

>>59972551
Banks took the position that if they required PINs and other banks didn't that Americans would be too lazy to enter PINs and would switch credit cards. I wish I were joking.

http://tsys.com/solutions-services/acquiring-services/resource-center/the-chip-signature-vs-chip-pin-debate-continues
>Conversely, chip-and-signature backers in the U.S. have countered that a PIN-based approach would have been more difficult to implement. Driving this decision was the notion that U.S. consumers, on average, already carry around three credit cards5 in their wallet. Giving them another PIN code to remember, in addition to, say, the one they use for a debit card, would have made the transition tougher. When you combine that with the different actions— inserting a chip card instead of swiping— required to even proceed with a chip card transaction, many felt it better to go with chip-and-signature.
>>
>>59972597
I'm Russian, we have 2FA on Internet purchases but no IDs requested on payment.
>>
>>59972597
Swipe fees (interchange, charged to the merchant for card acceptance) and interest fees (charged to consumers if they don't pay the bill in full each month) are far higher in the US than Europe. This pays for costs from fraud much more than it did in Europe or Canada.

This is also why the US took so long to upgrade to chips in the first place, it just wasn't worth the infrastructure costs for banks to upgrade. Once the fraud started costing banks more than just paying for the fraud, they all switched to chips and told the merchants to follow.
>>
>>59972518
>good credit cards offer extended warranties (24 months on anything I buy with a year or more warranty) for free on anything I buy
seriously ? i find that really really hard to believe
which company does that?
>>
>>59971673
Works like this in Poland as well although I can tap the card to pay for expensive stuff too (still have to enter the pin afterwards).

Get your shit together burgers.
>>
>>59971673
>Greece
>Money

Good one
>>
>>59972187
Most US debit cards can be charged as credit at a POS, without requiring the PIN.
>>
Chip cards are way better than swipe cards. Though smartphone-app based solutions will probably replace both.
>>
>>59972640
Citi. The card for which I describe is the Citi Double Cash (no annual fee, 1% cashback when you buy + 1% cashback when you pay the credit card bill = 2% effective cashback on all purchases). Requires decent credit but good limits and great benefits.

I haven't claimed on the Citi Extended Warranty yet but did an extended return claim and it was smooth + easy. I have a Price Protection claim on a TV I just bought and they said it should be approved tomorrow.

Amex's policy is so easy it's ridiculous. Bear in mind I have a no annual fee card there too.
>get dashcam ($210 total)
>install in car
>test drive for 5 min
>eject memory card to review footage
>get in house and drop MicroSD on tile, step on it, breaks
>ask for $20 to get a new 32gb microsd card under accidental damage coverage (no fee/additional amount on purchase price)
>credit: $210 on statement, don't have to send it back
>call amex to make sure they didn't make a mistake
>it was intentional, keep the $210 and buy a new memory card, keep the difference

Same thing happened when I bought an Xbone and my brother spilled beer on the controller. Asked Amex for $60 to buy a new controller, just credited me the purchase amount ($430) instead, didn't have to send it back or anything.

Credit card benefits in the US are excellent if you get a good card and actually use them.
>>
>>59972708
>get in house and drop MicroSD on tile, step on it, breaks

fucking kek.
>>
>>59972708
Things that literally never fucking happened.

Go to Tumblr your fuck.
>>
>>59972708
how the fuck do these companies survive ? are they all NSA sponsored or something ?
theres a lot of tech hardware with 2 year warranties that's usually to breaks within 1-2 years after the warranty runs out. having 2 year warranty on that shit sounds too awesome to believe it.
>>
>>59971633
amex is useless everywhere in sweden
>>
Chip is literally no faster than swiping anyway
>>
File: dashcam.png (293KB, 886x1403px) Image search: [Google]
dashcam.png
293KB, 886x1403px
>>59972747
Believe it or not, they did. Amex has no mechanism for a partial refund on their accidental damage coverage. And they've been generally good on extended warranty claims on just refunding the purchase. The exception was an Onkyo A/V Receiver where the HDMI board went and they wanted an estimate before furnishing repair. Onkyo ended up agreeing to service the receiver for free because it was a known defect (bad caps or something).
>>
File: aI3LeIJ.jpg (26KB, 480x377px) Image search: [Google]
aI3LeIJ.jpg
26KB, 480x377px
I honestly don't remember the last time I had to swipe my debit card. Must've been years ago. And it's been like a month since I used traditional money. Almost every business, no matter how small or remote has a terminal.

They say the reason that Poland is so up to date with payment tech is because we used to be so late to the party that there were no infrastructure to upgrade and we just went with the latest stuff.
>>
>>59971697
i thing you missed the part where you sign the check for 30 seconds lol
>>
>>59971673
The extra time this costs Americans is literally worth more than your entire country makes in a year.
>>
>>59972782
>how the fuck do these companies survive ? are they all NSA sponsored or something ?
In the US, credit card companies get 2-4% of each transaction. So if you charge an $1,000 purchase on a card, the credit card company gets $20-$40 from the retailer.

Then you have interest rates that vary, the credit cards with the good benefits have an interest rate typically above 20% APR (annually). If you pay the bill in full each month you pay zero interest. But the people who carry balances... they pay shitloads of interest.

Also, for every large ticket purchase, a very small number of people actually claim. They require you to furnish your receipt for interest and report it to them. If you actually do so and invoke your benefits good for you, but most people never use the benefits on their cards.
>>
>>59972597
We aren't liable for any fraudulent charges and our bank will give us a new card same day if one is cancelled so credit card fraud is a non-issue. The cost is entirely absorbed by the lender.
>>
In Serbia (lol) we have all 3. Only need to sign if it's a swipe-only credit card, and we only have those because a big chunk of muh heritage Americans come here to visit their extended family. Non-plebeians use chips or NFC.
>>
EMV cards are generally more secure and harder to clone that alone makes it worth it. But I can't explain why it takes so long for you guys
>>
File: 952.jpg (12KB, 203x303px) Image search: [Google]
952.jpg
12KB, 203x303px
>>59971633
We've had it for years, it's fast and secure.

If you fuck up the implementation that's your own shit country's fault.
>>
>>59971633
>chip & pin implemented across Europe
>murricans only implement the chip part
>on top of that they implemented the chip part poorly
kek
>>
>>59971720
Time to move to europe I guess.
>>
>>59971673
>I live in Greece
>I spent like 650 Euros on clothes in a single day
No need to lie, anon
>>
>>59972965
>harder to clone
The problem is everyone knew the magswipe was insecure as fuck thus consumers were never liable.

With chip it's broken but the banks + retailers insist it's secure and then you get stuck paying for the fraudster.

It is when it's very slow and poorly implemented.

It's supposed to prevent card present fraud that results from card cloning. In reality, EMV is flawed in a way that allows banks to blame consumers for fraudulent purchases.

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/Papers/unattack.pdf
>EMV, also known as"\Chip and PIN", is the leading system for card payments world-wide
>[...]
>We have discovered that some EMV implementers have merely used counters, timestamps or home-grown algorithms to supply this number. This exposes them to a \pre-play" attack which is indistinguishable from card cloning from the standpoint of the logs available to the card-issuing bank, and can be carried out even if it is impossible to clone a card physically (in the sense of extracting the key material and loading it into another card). Card cloning is the very type of fraud that EMV was supposed to prevent.
>[...]
>We found flaws in widely-used ATMs from the largest manufacturers. We can now explain at least some of the increasing number of frauds in which victims are refused refunds by banks which claim that EMV cards cannot be cloned and that a customer involved in a dispute must therefore be mistaken or complicit. Pre-play attacks may also be carried out by malware in an ATM or POS terminal, or by a man-in-the-middle between the terminal and the acquirer. We explore the design and implementation mistakes that enabled the flaw to evade detection until now: shortcomings of the EMV specification, of the EMV kernel certification process, of implementation testing, formal analysis, or monitoring customer complaints.
>>
>Europeans use chip & PIN for over a decade with no problem
>Americans get it and are instantly confused by a PIN number, start sharting and getting angry

You're fucking subhuman mutts.
>>
>>59973008 here
Sorry, pasted some shit from the last time I posted it. Anyhow:

Chip definitely ups the bar for fraud from buying some shit from Dealextreme or Ebay, the problem is for the end consumer organized fraud can be done in a way that looks entirely legitimate to the bank. This is really fucking bad news.
>>
Holy shit you amerifats are still signing when using cards?

We haven't had to do that shit for decades.
>>
>>59972187

as others have mentioned, they can be used for credit (who knows why) in the US, making the PIN useless.
>>
>>59972782
For every person that pays their credit card statement within the zero-interest grace period, you have some nigger that runs a $3k balance on their credit card with 17.5% annual interest.

Financially-retarded people subsidize the whole scheme. And there's no absence of those kinds of people in America.
>>
>>59973012
This lmao
My country's annual GDP is less than a backwater Alabama Walmart's monthly sales revenue and even we have better tech
>>
>>59973012
Retailers upgraded to EMV terminals, but connected them with the existing 56k links. So every chip+PIN transaction takes 30 seconds to complete over potato internet.

Blame the retard retailers.
>>
>>59972328
>>59972086
>have shit infrastructure
>blame europeans
nice meme my friends
>>
File: britain hot cold.jpg (36KB, 625x297px) Image search: [Google]
britain hot cold.jpg
36KB, 625x297px
>>59973042
The cost of establishing tech when none is there vs. re-implementation in areas where it exists are two different things.

See also: Why Rome has no real functional subway system (they have to stop every 5 feet when they find Roman ruins somewhere and the importance of the find is assessed). Also why Brits have separate cold/hot taps in sinks. Harder to displace something that's there.

Another example more tech related is Itanium vs. x86_64. Itanium had benefits but emulation penalty was tremendous on Itanium vs. x86_64 which could run x86 code at native speed.
>>
>Americans develop something efficent and effective, no unnecessary bloat as economy is key
>Europeans develop something intentionally retarded and wasteful to posture like they matter and spend all their time begging people to pay attention to them
>>
>>59973094
Don't forget British ring electric distribution.
>can't afford copper
>have to put fuses in the electric socket because point-to-point wiring
>>
reminder that the US is still on 120VAC 60Hz and still uses that clusterfuck of a unit system, in the year of our Lord 2k17
>>
>>59973012
>start sharting and getting angry

Because it's fucking retarded.
The next step in retardation we'll end up with is the no-swipe cards because "they're using them in Europe for years now", without mentioning that they limit them to very small transactions because they are obviously insecure as fuck.
And without mentioning that Europe is a fucking retarded disaster sometimes interrupted by brief periods of peace and prosperity.
>>
>>59973062

>but connected them with the existing 56k links

Looks like you're the retard. All payment terminals are connected to 56k links. The reason for the slow transaction is the processing speed on the end of the retailer, not the internet connection or even latency. You don't need 20 mbps both ways to process a fucking card translation consisting of strings of numbers and shit.

Even 28k would suffice and complete the transaction in under 5 seconds when the processing s quick.
>>
>>59973198

>Because it's fucking retarded.

No, they're not. You're the retard. Fucking magnetic swipe? Lel. Its so fucking simple, you put your card in the slot, 1 second later you're prompted to enter a 4-digit PIN, you enter it and press a green button to confirm, it displays some loading shit on the little screen for under 5 seconds, then it says 'Transaction authorized' or whatever and you take your card out.

It seems Americans need an even simpler, more dumbed down way of doing transactions.
>>
I don't understand why chips would be a problem.
I've only experienced less read errors using chips.
5-30 seconds is a wild exaggeration it takes 1-2 at most and it's not variable.
>>
File: 6ee.jpg (52KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
6ee.jpg
52KB, 600x600px
>>59972048
>buying into the credit jew
>>
>>59971950
because consumer protection laws aren't FREEDOM
>>
>>59973240
I know europeans have time to lay around and jerk off cows all day and siesta but Americans actually need to get things done and run the world
>>
>>59972621
I think that should be the case here, because you need to input the PIN, but they are used to ask for the id from the magnetic band days
>>59972636
pretty interesting info
I remember reading about the whole thing, and wondering how was it possible for the US to still use magnetic band cards
>>
>>59973293
but
>m-muh rewards
>>
>>59972370
Only place I sign. For shit is restraunts fag
>>
>>59971633
While you move to chips, we move to touchless rfid chips in the card, where you just hove the card over the posterminal, and if its debit card you can make purcheses up to 20 euro without signing, so basically buying stuff like a coke and a sandwich or just 10 euro gas is super quick
>>
>>59973304

wew lad
>>
>>59973351
>Uses reader to clonecrfid

Thank for the meal fag.
>>
>>59972206
If that's true then perhaps it wasn't worth it.
>>
>>59973304

>Americans
>get things done
>run the world
>Europeans having siestas
>I can't afford to wait for this 7 second transaction, muh burger will get cold, I'll sue you for this!
>MUH FR-*shart*EEDOM
>FUCK, 911? YES, MY SCOOTER IS OUT OF BATTERY AND MY BURGER IS GETTING COLD, SEND THE AIR FORCE AND MARINES IMMEDIATELY
>>
>>59971633
How many decades will it take you to implement contactless, burgers?
By the time you get to it, the rest of the world will be using a newer technology anyways, kek.
>>
Europe is only embracing this because it makes all the muzzies and shitskins easier to deal with for the time being. Muzzies and shitkins don't speak the language so allowing them to spend the redistributed wealth from the citizens is sound. The other bonus is it makes it easier to commit fraudulent transactions. Fresh muzzies off boats and buses can swipe a card and won't have to fear prosecution provided they stay under certain limits.
>>
in australia there's basically three methods:
tap card. enter PIN only if it's more than $100.
insert card. enter PIN.
swipe and enter pin. this started getting phased out about 10 years ago and is only done now if the chip in the card is fucked up and insert failed 2 or 3 times

all these can take only 2-3 seconds to authenticate if they're connected directly via internet, maybe 5-10 if 3g/4g but a lot of places still use fucking dialup terminals via a phone line that take 10-20+ seconds to approve

basically you can tap and be out of there in less than 5 seconds assuming the store owner isnt an old person that doesnt believe in da intanets
>>
>>59973304
yeah like eating all day
and produce cuck porn
>>
>>59973004
They are in debt for a reason.
>>
Burger here. Chip works exactly like others have said in Yuropoor. I either swipe use chip or tap to pay. I avoid tap and pay though. I do prefer cash still as you see the money exchanging hands. It keeps the mind sharp and helps teach fiscal responsibility to your children.
>>
*blocks ur groceries*
>>
>>59972420
congrats on literally anyone being able to spoof your info wirelessly. have fun having to carry around your card in special wallets that block transmissions and still being at risk whenever you go to use it
>>
File: sanguo sima yi2.png (540KB, 832x472px) Image search: [Google]
sanguo sima yi2.png
540KB, 832x472px
>have to sign your signature on your CC in order for it to be valid
>verify your identity by signature
who came up with this, and how did he convince others it was a good idea?
>>
>>59973646
who cares? if there's fraudulent activity on your card your bank deals with it
>>
>westerners are arguing over swipe vs chip
>meanwhile Chinese are using Wechat pay to pay in a supermarket, for train tickets, for buying vegatables from an old lady on a street market and for hookers in illegal brothels
get on with the time
>>
>>59971633
chip is not like that in europe.
When we swiped, we still used a pin. Signing stuff in a store was something you did back when people still used checks. I am old enough to have seen checks as a method of giving money to people, but I have never seen someone pay with one.
But the time it takes for the machine to accept your pin is the time it takes to connect to your bank and make sure the transaction is legit.
If it takes a long time, it means the store can't afford fast internet.
On very slow machines it takes 3 seconds, but most do it under 1 second.
As for nfc, we have that in our credit cards.
If the amount is less than ~$20 you can just tap the card on the machine, no pin required.
We got the tap to pay machines about a year ago I think, and now they are almost everywhere. I don't know who pays for updating all the machines but I know it happens really fast. I think stores rent / lease them, maybe that is why.
Maybe the banks are paying a part of it because if someone steals my money from a system they vouched for, they are liable.

As for private sales and small stores, we have an instant transfer system on our phones.
There is a limit on the free account, so you can max transfer ~$500 a day or something like that. I think you can receive a lot more though.
This also works in some stores, but not all.
But the main perk of that thing is you can transfer money directly to contacts in your phonebook (as long as they have signed up).

The phone thing obviously requires an app which means you need Google Play Services, so I personally just have a spare phone for this as I don't have GPS on my main phone.

All in all, I feel like the payment options are really good in europe.

Chip for large payments, tap for small and phone for personal transactions
>>
>>59973707
America has always been behind in most areas.
Guess they have a lot of freedom except economic freedom.
>>
File: Data_Center_Consolidation1.png (225KB, 579x258px) Image search: [Google]
Data_Center_Consolidation1.png
225KB, 579x258px
>>59973566
>as you see the money exchanging hands. It keeps the mind sharp and helps teach fiscal responsibility to your children.
You live in the past old man. Money is for idiots who doesn't know where real money is. I teach true fiscal responsibility to my child, not you old man. You know nothing about money. You just have a fetish about the old money.
>>
>>59972048
>chasing after reward bonuses
>calls someone else poor
I just buy what I want. I don't put groceries on my CC hoping someday I'll get a reward.
>>
File: 1487837630383.gif (206KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1487837630383.gif
206KB, 256x256px
>>59971633
I live in Canada, all you do is chip in, enter 4 number pin and the transaction is done. Takes less than 15 seconds.
>>
Britfag here. I have a NFC sticker on the back of my phone that is accepted almost everywhere. The only time I ever use cash is at the bakery in my village or the local fish & chip shop because I live outside of the M25 and there are still a few holdouts.
>>
>>59973799
In Germany you still have to sign most of the time, because it's a backwards country held back by rock solid bureaucracies doing everything they can nothing gets changed, ever (especially not them losing their fake jobs)
>>
>>59972051
>>59972187

Many debit cards also allow you to use it as if it was a credit card. This is handy when you're getting gas at the pump because if you're looking to put, say... $30 in the tank, paying by debit will put a hold of $75-$100 on your account whereas running a debit card as credit only places a $1 hold.

This is how thieves make off with your money. I had this happen to me back in 2015. Somewhere around here my card went through a skimmer and the data was recorded. Onmce it was dumped to a card, the thieves set off and made $900 in purchases at a shitload of gas stations between LA and San Diego. When the charges started rolling in and hit my account it drained it completely. I ended up having Paypal cancel the card and, because it was Paypal, I got every dime refunded within 24hrs.
>>
I only sign if it's $50+. There are still a couple annoyances though. One is the prompt for cashback. Those need to be removed entirely from self checkout and turned into something you ask the cashier for before you pay. The other is that somewhere around $20 I start needing to confirm the amount. Unfortunately I don't expect that to ever be removed.
>>
>>59973909
I don't get why credit card isn't more common in Europe? I mean we aren't americans, we don't actually buy shit we can't afford and usually the money gets drawn from your bank account interest free immediately rather than monthly bills or something.
>>
>>59972300

the network is likely still dial-up. Many card readers, especially at convenience stores and gas stations are still dial-up.
>>
>>59973825
I doubt I will ever have children, but if I did, I would give them an allowance in cash.
Even if they would be the only people who still used cash, I would "force" it on them.
1. I don't think their purchases should be surveilled until they are old enough to consent or reject it themselves.
2. Having something physical means you have to keep track of it, count it, and see it disappear as you purchase something.
3. Fiscal responsibility starts with simple things. Learning that it is their own choice to give up buying candy or whatever so they can buy toys is just the beginning. When they have something bigger they want, they should obviously learn to make a budget so they can plan for the future.
>>
>>59974007
Yes and my son will seel insurance to your son.
>>
>>59973955

If I were to walk into the gas station and tell the clerk "Give me $30 on number 6", then $30 will be immediately taken from my account whether I'm using a credit card or debit card.

However, paying at the pump means they basically just turn on the pump and allow you to put as much gas in as you need and then bill you later. This, of course, leads to rampant fraud so what stations started doing is debiting your account $75 when you use a debit card at the pump. I've seen as high as $300 being taken t the pump before in Las Vegas. A guy came into a gas station just north of Stratosphere SCREAMING at the cashier because he had them turn on the pump and he swiped a debit card for the transaction. Because the guy was driving a Range Rover, they figured it was going to take a lot of gas and they did a CYA move and charged him $300 off the top. this, naturally, fucked up his money for his Vegas trip and he pretty much lost his shit over it.
>>
>>59971633
who the fuck uses chip?
been paying with nfc everywhere for 10 years
>>
>>59974062
Your big dreams for your child is to sell insurance?
Don't have high hopes for him do you?
>>
File: muhhat.jpg (29KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
muhhat.jpg
29KB, 512x512px
>>59973857
This. Also have my bank app for tap if I ever leave my wallet at home. Though, I don't trust to have tap on my debit and credit cards and only use it on my phone when I need to, but even then I use fingerprint authentication.
>>
>>59974104
>Your big dreams for your child is to sell insurance?
You don't know what is insurance. That's how bank made their money today.
>>59974104
>Don't have high hopes for him do you?
No, I hope he won't be a banker (ie. a insurance seller), but a revolutionary leader.
>>
theres a local place on a really slow land line, with a really slow machine and it takes around 5 minutes to charge cards, customers literally sit down and wait and they bring your card back with your food
>>
I just moved from southern America. Nobody uses chips there. The debit cards issued by every local bank doesn't even include a chip.

I moved to PA and work in Jersey, and everyone uses a chip for everything. When the chip readers work. Sometimes they don't and you're forced to swipe. I don't get it man. The chip process even takes more time. When you swipe, it's one action and you're done with the transaction. With the chip, you have to slide the card in, wait a few moments until the reader starts bitching at you to pull it out, then pull it out. I HAD to get a debit card with a chip on it just to buy shit, because I was specifically instructed to use the chip on machines that allow swiping.

I went to swipe my card once and the clerk literally yelled at me:

SWIPER NO SWIPING
>>
>>59973909
>This is handy when you're getting gas at the pump
What the hell are you talking about? I don't know how different the procedure is in the US, but around here I go to the clerk and say "50€ to bomb 6", I put the card and pin to pay the 50€, load the gas and move along.
What's this "hold" thing you talk about?
>>
>>59973825
That's an odd response to what was said don't you think? Do you normally ignore half of what people say and just make grandiose assumptions?

>>59974007
You hit the nail on the head here. I have six children. One of the first things we drill into them is fiscal responsibility. They're very aware of what they want and how much it costs. Delayed gratification is an acquired skill and necessary for success (for the most part) imo. They don't have classes or teach this in schools. The sooner you impart this knowledge the better so they develop good habits.
>>
>>59972621
Technically, they *have* to ask for your ID for any transaction that does not involve dialing in a PIN (with the exception of <1000 RUR NFC transactions). But 98% of cashiers ignore that rule.
>>
Here in Ireland pretty much everyone uses NFC. It's so easy.
>>
>>59974218
>Do you normally ignore half
I ignore advice from ignorant who don't know how the world work and think their advice worth.
>>
>>59974174
>I go to the clerk
We interact with the computer at each pumping station. That interaction need not specify the purchase amount ahead of time. In our parlance it's "fill 'er up."

The hold is the pre-authorization requested by the station from the issuing bank that "this dude buying boom boom juice has enough money to cover filling his tank."
>>
>>59973909
You should physically touch all card readers and manipulate them to check for skimmers. It's not foolproof but I got into that habit awhile back. Waiters and Waitresses or anyone that physically handles the card can also employ a skimmer so be mindful of them as well. The best way overall though is keeping track of your finances so that you're immediately aware of any and all transactions. I still balance my checkbook on paper and in a spreadsheet. I do not trust a bank to do it for me. I keep paper copies of all my statements just in case. It's a bunch of busy work that everyone should already be doing anyways. Like brushing your teeth.
>>
>>59973957
Why the fuck would they use dial-up when 3G/4G is everywhere and does not require 30 seconds to connect?
>>
>>59974174
back in the day you could say turn on pump 2 and fill up and then go in and pay, but like that other fella said people would just leave with a full tank
>>
>>59974292
dial up is free in most places if you know the right number to call
>>
>>59974292
Cellular can be intercepted easier than POTS which would require something physical on the line. Have you not heard of stingers? You can build your own.
>>
File: 1481315584013.jpg (71KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
1481315584013.jpg
71KB, 1024x640px
>>59974244
>I'm not pretending to be retarded
Thanks for this
>>
>>59974174

In the US, you can choose to pay for your gas inside at the counter or at the gas pump itself. If you pay at the counter the transaction amount is taken from your balance immediately regardless of type of card (credit or debit).

At the pump it's a different story. If you pay at the pump itself it basically just turns on and when you're done the total amount you owe will be taken out of your account within a day or two BUT you have to have a minimum amount of money in the account in order to turn the pump on. For credit cards you only need $1, for debit cards it's a minimum of $75. This means that if you use a debit card you're ass-out of your money for the next few days until the balance settles and the excess that was being held is returned to you.
>>
>>59974316
The cost of a 3G data plan is insignificant for anything bigger than a lemonade stand. It's not like operating a card reader requires 10 GB of data monthly.
>>
>>59974289
Oh I see.

>>59974289
>>59974293
I still do that here. I tell the clerk to turn the pump on and I fill it up. Some pumps don't allow it, but the ones that do say it's OK because they photograph you when you're filling anyway.
>>
>>59973644
have a (You) i chuckled.
>>
>>59974293

I think pretty much every person I knew in college did this often. There was one guy I hated riding with because when he was low on gas he would cover his license plate with a paper towel and a bit of masking tape, go in and tell the clerk "fill up on #3" and proceed to fill his tank then take off. I didn't want to be in the car with him when he got busted... Which eventually happened (felony charge of some sort if I remember correctly)
>>
>>59974346
Hm okay.
>>
Meanwhile in Poortugal no cards are needed anymore.
>tell the clerk my phone number
>enter pin
>go home

And even withdrawing cash from ATM
>open app
>choose amount up to 200€
>enter pin
>money comes out of ATM
>>
>>59974218
I was brought up the same way.
I started out with ~$1 a week, but could increase that if I did chores around the house.
A big lego set was ~$65 at the time, so I just saved for that.
Saving spare change for a year to buy something like that was a big commitment, but I did it for several years.
These days, people buy stuff like that as presents for their kids instead of letting them pay for it themselves.
>>
>>59974292

because that's what's always been there.

"it just werks..."

So, instead of doing the correct thing which would be to upgrade to a high speed connection everywhere there is a card reader, the banks more than likely just grafted the chip shit on top of that old dial-up infrastructure.
>>
>>59974323
1. "Stingray", not stinger.
2. Used by government agencies, not by Ukrainian skimmers .
3. Cannot actually intercept data traffic.
4. Even if it could, useless against encrypted traffic unless you can also spoof the bank's SSL certificate (in which case the bank has much bigger problems than just cell traffic interception)
>>
>>59973198
I used my no-swipe tap card on a 6000 chf transaction (around $6K) last week. Only difference is I tap and enter my pin instead of just tap.
>>
>>59971633
>I still have to sign for my purchase

What the fuck?

I can't even remember the last time I signed for a purchase.
>>
>>59974291

Right. Normally I'm extremely paranoid about stuff like that, so when it happened I had to think of the 2 or three times I was in such a rush that I neglected to check for skimmers. Turns out the ATM at a 7-11 near my house was the culprit and, because Pajeet owned it, the surveillance video was so shitty it was useless trying ti ID the guy that installed the skimmer.
>>
>>59974469
>3. Cannot actually intercept data traffic.
It is basically a portable cell tower.
You place it near the target and the phones will pick it because they choose the tower with best signal in order to preserve battery.
Then all traffic is routed through the stingray and before you send it along to the real cell towers, you store all data.
IF it is unencrypted, you can then read the data.
if it is encrypted, you need to break that encryption but obviously they can store everything.
Some of them even pushes you down to a worse connection in order to process all the data.
>>
>>59971950

Visa decided to break with the EMV standard and implement chip and signature. Which is pointless.
>>
>>59973957
>the network is likely still dial-up.

Actually, worse than that.

The most common uplink method used by small stores (basically, anything personally owned that isn't fuckhuge like Walmart) is satellite.

The companies you register with to have the payment solutions at your store shill satellite as the connection to use due to it being "more reliable than a cable in the ground".

I shit you not, call up some provider like Lightspeed POS and tell them you want to set up a POS in your store and they'll try to sell you the payment equipment and a satellite service.
>>
>>59971673
even Serbia has this
>>
>>59974112

>I don't trust the tap on my bank issued, highly regulated and audited market produced card but I do trust my NSA backdoored, endlessly insecure cellphone
>>
>>59974599
Did you steal that from the Bosnians too
>>
>>59973201

That's not entirely true.

With traditional track 2 transactions the receipt was handled at the POS side. EMV mandates issuer directive receipt v format, so the entire payment portion of the receipt has to come from the network, not just a basic response (and to add to it, the receipts are significantly longer)
>>
f - ff - five to thirty seconds?!?!?!?!?!?!

wtf i hate cards now!
>>
>>59974451
That's very true. Now they just go into debt to that instant gratification.
>>
File: 098435.jpg (48KB, 620x372px) Image search: [Google]
098435.jpg
48KB, 620x372px
>>59971633
i enjoy pushing my card into the slot faggot
>>
>>59974675
My golf cart is considered a full size sedan compared to that thing.
>>
>>59974549

Payment terminal data is all encrypted anyway. Ranging from SHA-2 256 at the least as the minimum allowed under the new rules, 256AES on pinpads and processors doing Ptpe
>>
>>59974549
1. All cell traffic is encrypted by default. Only the actual provider can turn this encryption off - if a government agency uses cell interception device, they can ask the provider to do that, but a private hacker won't be able to do it.
2. There are flaws in GPRS encryption that can be potentially used to break it, but the feasibility of that on small amounts of sample data (which the card reader sends) is low. 3G/4G encryption cannot be bypassed so far without the cell provider's cooperation.
3. However, even if you break the cell encryption, there is still TLS/SSL on top of it. And if a bank's TLS encryption can be broken, they're fucked since it applies to all online transactions.
>>
>>59974293
That's how it still is in Switzerland. Fill up. Go inside. Pick up a croissant or a sausage. Pay. Head back to the car.
>>
>>59973293
>Having no credit history

Wage cuck in his rented house for life.
>>
>>59971633
euros use chip and pin
you dumbfuck ameriburgers still use chip and sign
>>
>>59974574
What the fuck, America?

We're a fucking third world country and we have 3G, Ethernet and Wi-Fi connected terminals everywhere.
>>
>>59974777
your country is also the size of a shoebox and we paid for all of that
>>
>>59971633
>2017
>going to a physical store ever
>using your card for anything other than the numbers for online purchases.
>>
>>59974946
And then Euros get mad when America points out that we fund NATO.
>but its your problem too if Russia takes over!
Yeah no fucking shit that's why we're paying but it would be nice if you'd stop bitching about everything our country does when it's larger and change takes time and our payment in your interests helps you too.
>>
File: 13746607.png.gif (121KB, 273x203px) Image search: [Google]
13746607.png.gif
121KB, 273x203px
I just buy shit online and not have to deal with awkward interactions at the register.

I recommend you all follow suit to be less faggy.
>>
>>59974355
a 3G data plan is like minimum 50$ a month here (commiefornia)
>>
>>59975064
>I just buy shit online and not have to deal with awkward interactions at the register.
It's only awkward if you make it awkward.
>>
>letting the plastic jew handle your transactions
gas the kikes. cash is king.
>>
>>59975091
It's all gubment backed funny money either way.
>>
File: tmp_11573-YxMcP-1962242814.png (46KB, 1218x1573px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_11573-YxMcP-1962242814.png
46KB, 1218x1573px
>>59971673
>Greece
>650 Monopoly cashmoney
>for clothes
>in a single day

Euromoneis hard at work.
>>
>>59971633
The technology is fine. The problem is that the US implemented them so badly.
>>
>>59971809
But what possible sense does it make that it's a different network? When chip+PIN rolled out in Australia, the new machines just connected to the same network as the old ones did.
>>
>>59971633

for what purpose
>>
>>59971633
>Paying with cash
Degenerate confirmed, what are you trying to hide?
>>
>>59975081
The rent for the tiniest corner store in commiefornia is over9000$ a month, I don't see the problem.
>>
>>59971633
chip cards are actually good here though, it seems like your country being too dumb to do it right

>having to sign for fucking purchases
I don't understand this

I also can't imagine a world where I would actually pay in cash for shit
>>
>>59975351
see, your making a very common mistake, you're thinking of so cal and the bay, that is not all of commifornia, although we are stricken with things based on the fact that the bay and LA are indeed part of the state
>>
Nothing to hide nothing to fear, why are you against progress?
>>
>>59975381
>not the bay

nobody cares about you peasants
>>
>>59974081
The pre credit phase ends once the transaction is complete.

Gas pump gets card you select your reserve amount $10, $20, $50, $100, $200 custom amount. Your card is checked for having that much money/credit. Once your transaction is done the balance is returned to your account/credit limit.

Long ago it would hold it for a few hours. Today it's the ending of the transaction.
>>
>>59976031

No, today it still holds it for a day or two. That guy from Vegas I wrote about? That was back in August. I pay at the pump all the time, it usually takes days before the charge hits my account. I've recently overheard cashiers explain how debit-at-the-pump works to customers who were pissed 'cause had to come inside to pay 'cause they had less than the reserve amount in their account.

It's kinda like how you can buy something at a retail store and the money will come out instantly, but if you return it, even within minutes of buying it, it takes 2-3 days before the bank will return it to your account.
>>
>>59972273
Sounds terrifying
>>
>>59976264
I pay with debit all the time. Doesn't give me holds. Maybe it was just a shitty gas station.
>>
>>59974749
Same in Germany and every other civilized country I've visited...
>>
>>59971673
Liar. Nobody in Greece has money, digital or otherwise.
>>
>>59971673
This IS how it works in murica too. Thread was made by a bong I'm sure.
>>
>>59971673
>650 euros
>on clothes
Greece is weird, everyone is broke, but everyone has like expensive shit.
Explain this malakia anon.
---

But since you've mentioned your a greekanon, where you from, (no specifics, hell i'll take mainland or island as an acceptable answer)
---

Anyway, what's cool here is that i think Chip cards made it possible for travellers to use their cards from other countries\currencies

Like i remember we went to greece in 2005 and we had to have some weird setup to wire us more money, where as my mom went last year and inserted her chip and it just werks.
>>
>>59974777
I work in the telecom industry and, shit you not, it's easier and sometimes even cheaper to deploy fiber links in literally the fucking third world than in the USA. Most of the times all you have available for speeds above 2Mbps are fucking T1 multiplexes from the pleistocene that need expensive expansion cards in the routers.

Fucking

Hell

No wonder you pay a fortune for the shittiest internet in the developed world, even the corporate and backbone networks are the least robust and most outdated I've ever seen.
>>
>>59972646
Idk, i'm like autistic about tap cards... are they safe? like i'm cool with NFC phones 200% but like the cards just feel like a hazard

>>59972447
>>59972483
Depends on the store and what you buy, On purchasing expensive shit, i have to whip out the ID

when purchasing food, literally nothing

there's thresholds inbetween like: at this point you have to provide a signature, and at this point you have to provide a pin, etc.,

Although we're more autistic like this for check payments than credit or debit...
>>
File: photo.jpg (114KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
114KB, 900x900px
>>59971633
>Americans are struggling to implement the new European technology of chip cards
>Everybody in Europe already pays contactless
can't make this shit up
you just swipe the cards over the reader and you're done, no signatures, no PINs (depending on your settings), nothin', even faster than a strip
why are Americans so backwards?
>>
>>59971673
> I spent like 650 Euros on clothes in a single day

pay denbts
>>
>>59974485
I know bro!! Signing for purchases was literally ruining my life
>>
>>59976525
Did it take you 3 hours to come up with that witty response to someone who probably closed the tab 2 hours ago?

I love watching Americans flail desperately to disparage people in response to realizing they're living in the stone age.
>>
>>59971720
Same as here in Brazil.
Even favelas business like barbers and bars have debit/credit pin machines and all work flawless
>>
>>59976306
I think you want terrific, not terrifying.
>>
Canadians have had tap to pay for years now
We've never had loudly beeping chip machines
GET KEKED
>>
>>59977139
The Canadian machines just flash PLEASE WAIT/S.V.P nonstop. Equally obnoxious.
>>
>>59972048
>>59972051
This. Fuck debit cards. I don't even use one. Quicksilver CC with that 1.5% cashback, yeeah
>>
>>59977467
...tap payments are the single best method of payment we've ever seen and as long as you don't have tremors from alcohol withdrawal or some shit it's nearly impossible to fuck it up
>>
In Russia I insert a card with a chip. Sometimes they ask to type in pin, sometimes for a handwriting and sometimes it just werks.
>>
>>59974346
>(credit or debit).
I'm pretty sure this is the whole problem being discussed here.

In Europe, they're all talking about their PINs. They're all paying with debit.

In America, we're all plugging the card in and waiting for it to call the bank for authorization. To the naked eye, it looks to me like it's making three or four trips back and forth to the bank before it authorizes - so the problem is probably something to do with the specific needs of the credit card back-end system.

I venture to say this because I too am used to the 5-30 second wait, but the other day I paid with debit and was startled by how fast the chip machine pushed me through.

TFW we implement a european technology without understanding why they use it
>>
>>59971720
Even Canada got it right somehow.
>A FUCKING LEAF
>>
>all this talk about debit and credit at gas stations
>tfw I just go inside, give the clerk X in cash, and then just fill up to that amount

I usually know around how much it will run me. if the tank is not 100% filled, that's fine
>>
just tap your fucking bank card like the rest of the civilized world, moron
>>
>>59977957
>TFW we implement a european technology without understanding why they use it

because all the banks shilled it hard and basically forced you to get it, because they latched on to the "chips are super secure! they generate an uncrackable code for each purchase!" or whatever meme they were selling it on.

iirc, wasnt there news lately that chips are no longer as secure as people thought, and skimmers can still steal your shit from chips, just through a different way?
>>
>>59973173
There's nothing wrong with 120v 60hz and anything that could benefit from 240v uses it.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>tfw you're the only one who still has a chipless debit card in the entirety of America
>transactions are quick and easy, some places don't even ask for my PIN
>still never had my money stolen
>>
>>59974174
> "50€ to bomb 6"

Wow I didn't know they were catering to the refugees that much.
>>
>>59971633
i've been using my cards' NFC for years almost exclusively
transactions take <5 seconds
>>
>>59971633
>muricans complicating with simple things
the post.

Even thirdworlders like me (Chile) never had a problem with EMV cards.
>pos machine shows "operate card"
>insert it into the smartcard reader
>"confirm amount"
>"enter your pin"
>"validating...approved!"
>>
>olololol America why you take so long to get chip cards

tl;dr: Stripe swipe wasn't a problem until the federal government was eyeing legislation, so the CC companies made the move.

Everyone stop, and look at it this way:

There are 30 million merchants in the U.S. That's at least 30 million credit card terminals to upgrade, but what's the incentive?
Swiping is easier for the consumer, and buying new terminals is expensive for the merchant, and implementing the technology is expensive for the processors.

The credit card companies reached the point where rather than risking the feds forcing their hands, they would go ahead an implement EMV in the fastest way (for them). If a fraudulent purchase is made in a store that could have been using EMV, but only provided swipe, that store would have to eat the cost of the fraud, since they "dropped the ball". An EMV terminal negated that, putting the responsibility back on the processors.
>>
>>59979216
>Discover sent a new chip card without me asking for it
Current chipless card is valid until 2019 and I'm gong to use it until then.
>>
>>59972286
>mfw even congo is introducing emv cards
>>
>>59972365
because
>muh freedumz
>muh civil rights
>muh constitution
>>
>>59979392
We're not confused by it, more so annoyed.

Pre 2015:
>Swipe Card
>sometimes enter pin
>done

Post chip:
>Insert card
>confirm amount
>reader takes anywhere from 4 - 10 seconds to process it
>1/2 of the time it asks for a pin or signature

It probably adds an extra ~20 or so seconds to every transaction, which really slows shit down when you're trying to move quickly through a convenience store line with 6 people in front of you.
>>
>>59972365
Good luck wrangling 50 states to agree on a standard, interoperable, smartcard based photo ID.
The federal government doesn't really have the authority to mandate a specific ID for everyone.
>>
>>59979122
>chips are super secure! they generate an uncrackable code for each purchase!
they are(assuming a proper implementation at POS).
The problem is always of the payment processors. In the US there's a LOT of them.
>>
>>59979122
>skimmers can still steal your shit from chips,
No, what is happening is that skimmers are altering the stripe data such that the POS thinks never had an EMV chip.
>>
>>59971633
Didnt seen swipe cards for ages.
1) Insert chip, 5seconds, done
or
2) lay down to use NFC, 3 seconds, done
+3 seconds if you have pin protection activated

t. thirdworlder (russia)
>>
>>59972309
Mercadona, Carrefour, y las gasolineras.
Hay putos TPVs contactless por doquier.
Y en todas las tiendas. Y vivo en una ciudad de 100k hab.
>>
>>59971673
Pay your debts, greek faggot.
>>
File: smugAnimeGirl4.jpg (28KB, 337x404px) Image search: [Google]
smugAnimeGirl4.jpg
28KB, 337x404px
>>59971673
>I live in Greece
>I spent 650 Euros on clothes in a day
That's like 3 months labor for the average Greek. What the fuck anon?
>>
>>59977957
>In Europe, they're all talking about their PINs. They're all paying with debit.

This may be true. However when I'm in line at Wallyworld or any grocery store and pay via debit card with a chip the shit still takes a long time and there's no consistency as to whether or not I even need to use my pin for debit transactions. For the reason you state I can kinda expect using a credit card to take a moment, but not debit. It should be "Anon wants to pay $9.58 to McBurgertown, is there enough in his account?" "Yes, that gluttonous slob has enough, here's the auth for the transaction". Shit should only take a few seconds.
>>
> current year
> falling for the plastic Jew

Oy vey
>>
>>59979678
>>
>>59979678
>>59979937
Mercedes, Care for, why last gasoline.
Hey pluto TVs contactless for liquour.
I in today as tendies. I have an udder cia the 100k have.
>>
>>59972690
>US
Found the problem
>>
>>59979902
True. Cashless systems are pushed by governments that control currency and money. It allows them to further fine tune and tax their livestock (citizens) on a more granular level.
>>
File: 1290479667535.jpg (12KB, 243x349px) Image search: [Google]
1290479667535.jpg
12KB, 243x349px
>>59971720
I don't think that the long wait is the fault of the machine, instead it's the cashier. I've had the machine give me the OK to remove my card, only for the cashier to freakout and tell me to insert it again. The cashier then spends a good 30 seconds blankly staring at the screen like a retard before telling me I can remove my card. It's just inexperience with this new tech on their end.
When using the self-checkout I insert, wait 3 seconds, enter the pin, and I'm done.

My only complaint is that some places still don't have it setup yet. I would also like to see more NFC being used for small purchases.
>>
File: wtf_am_i_reading.jpg (16KB, 441x257px) Image search: [Google]
wtf_am_i_reading.jpg
16KB, 441x257px
>>59979999
>>
>>59979678
pues en madrid, poquito
voy a Alcampo, y no saben ni lo que es eso
salud
>>
>>59980705

eep opp ork ah-ah?
>>
>>59979489
>extra ~20 or so seconds to every transaction
Are american brains on dial-up too?
>>
>>59979999
What that fuck are you trying to say?
>>
Britbong here. Your implementation is shit, not the technology. Only time there's any waiting involved at all is if you go to some seedy paki shop and even then it's 10 seconds, tops. Also can't remember the last place I went that didn't have contactless payment for transactions <£30.

>>59980243
>I don't think that the long wait is the fault of the machine, instead it's the cashier.
This. The only time you should be waiting for anything is if the mouthbreather running the checkout has gone in to sleep mode.
>>
>>59982544
i find it fun to replace foreign words with english words that look/sound similar, or just remind me of a word
>>
>>59971673
south africa confirmed for working as well. Muricans are just too retarded to get into new tech.
>>
>>59973304
>most overweight country in the world
m8, you're not getting anything done
>>
>>59971673
PAY DENBTS
>>
>Famburgers jamming up their tech with burger grease and cheeto dust
>Morbidly obese fingers mashing against keypad pressing every button at once
Ch-ch-chip and PIN is bad!
>>
>>59974436
tacking tracking to a whole new level.

>Also
>don't want phone number for whatever reason
>can't use a bank
great
>>
>>59982649
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/the-most-obese-fattest-countries-in-the-world/
Tl;dr USA is actually #18 on the most obese countries list.
>>
>>59982668
All those irrelevant countries and tiny ass countries in front of America. Like they fucking matter.
>>
>>59982661
this is probably a much bigger reality than you think.
>>
>>59971668
>microprocessors
topkek
>>
>2017
>Just getting chip and pin
Nigga what the actual fuck? It's been the standard for over a decade in the civilised world, and it works just fine. Also: We NFC now.
>>
>>59971668
>microprocessors
kek, is this the average litercy level of burgerlands?
>>
>>59982696
>>59982709
You're just pretending to be retarded and do know it actually is an on-card microprocessor used in chip and PIN, right?

Good.
>>
>>59971673
first sentence is true and i can confirm
second is a lie, unless u are a woman... and sucked a lot of dicks
>>
>>59971673
>Greece
Hope you're enjoying spending all of our money.

t. The rest of Europe.
>>
>>59971633
Seems like a problem exclusive to the US, here in Norway we just put it in and type the pin, wait a second or two and then it's done.
>>
File: 1389548610479.gif (32KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1389548610479.gif
32KB, 250x250px
>>59971633
It's not our fault you hamrolls can't fucking properly implement it.
Also NFC is a fucking security hazard, fuck you for even wanting it.
>>
>>59982709
Of courshe!
>>
>>59971673
It's ok to tell the truth Greek anon. No need to lie. We know.
>>
>>59982919
>NFC is a fucking security hazard
Muh hackers scanning muh wallet meme.
>>
>be american
>put in card
>asks for PIN
>takes me three tries to hit correct numbers with my fat fingers
>finally manage it
>it starts beeping
>beeping sound concusses me
>fall on the floor and shart
>>
File: cgd_00_thumb1.jpg (44KB, 584x370px) Image search: [Google]
cgd_00_thumb1.jpg
44KB, 584x370px
Hey fags.

This card is directly connected to your bank account, in Portugal. It's not a credit card, we call it Multibanco or Multibank.
You insert it in every ATM or store machine (whatever you want to call it), insert pin and off you go.
It doesn't have any kind of fee. You just pay an annual fee for owning the card (like 7€).
>>
It's another lards being lardy thread
>>
>>59982959
>Thinking a debit card is a novel idea
>Having to pay an annual fee for the privilege of having one
u wot m8
>>
>>59982985
It's a symbolic value for maintenance. You pay more in fees anywhere else.
>>
>>59971633
Can't believe America doesn't have this down

In the UK first we had chip and pin, you'd put your card in wait a about 1 second, type your pin and press enter, wait 1-2 more seconds and remove your card then it's done

Then about 1-2 years ago they started releasing contactless payment with every new debit card you got, my first debit card was contactless, you say to the cashier I'm paying by card and can either do insert with pin or just place the card on the reader and it literally takes about 1 second and it says transaction approved then your good to go, wireless is good for 30 quid payments for my card then i need to use chip and pin for anymore

Now there's android pay, it uses NFC and works with any contactless payment, i thought it had to say it supported android pay but nope, so far it's worked with any contactless machine I've tried and it takes about the same as contactless via card

I think i remember seeing contactless payment around 2013-14 but apparently it's been around since at least 2008, but currently I don't know a single big chain shop that doesn't have contactless payment and if a shop doesn't it'll be because its a small single person owned shop selling weird stuff like handmade hats or something
>>
>>59983074
I find the contactless payment very easy and confortable, and I used it with my father's card.
My personally I don't want it. If I lose the card, anybody can go and buy tons of shit under 20€ since it doesn't require pin.
>>
>>59983008
Poland here, we have it too, its literally free everywhere and normal thing to get in every bank.
>>
>>59971720
Its because most pos and atm systems in the us still use dialup modems to connect to the verification systems.
>>
>>59983107
I think banks are quite good for refunding any money that was used when the card was lost or stolen especially when used online, i got my debit card details somehow stolen and used on the Nike store website, somehow he spent 135 pounds, i called Halifax as soon as i realised and within 10 minutes they was going to send me and new card and had cancelled the order and refunded the payment, took a few days for the money to come back but the order was cancelled and police notified at least
>>
>>59983108
Exactly, polish bro.

>>59983132
Banks in portugal are quite cheap. Don't know if they would be so comprehensible.
>>
>>59983153
I think my bank said if my account gets stolen they'd refund me up to i think 75000, it could be 7500 but i remember thinking it was a huge number that i probably won't have for quite a while
>>
>>59972476
Everything in us is credit. Even our debit cards and bank accounts automatically go through credit line systems. If you run out of cash it automatically starts charging to the credit line.
>>
>>59971633
Yeah chipreader cards are dogshit. Luckily I do a lot of shopping at a store that doesnt have a chip reading point of sale device but where they do exist it's certainly less convenient than the method.

Are they really even anymore secure than the older method?
>>
>>59980243
It's not even new tech m8

It's been out since at least the 80s, that's 30-40 years, by modern standards it's ancient, my parents remember using chip and pin debit cards before i was born
>>
>>59971633
>stick in card
>enter PIN
>3 seconds later it's done
too hard?
>>
>>59982953
>>59982700
>>59982661
The US got chip and signature on our credit cards instead of chip and PIN. We just stick the card in and wait with nothing to do in the interim.

When you enter the PIN, it's not so bad because you have an activity that occupies your attention as the rest of the processing occurs. But when you just dip your card for a signature....ugh. So fucking slow.
>>
>>59982959
>It doesn't have any kind of fee
I've never paid any kind of fee for any of my credit cards, I get paid by them just to use it. $690 last year
>you just pay an annual fee for owning the card (like 7€).
>I pay 7 euros to bear the risk of having my bank account drained by Russians
LMAO portulards will defend this
>>
I live in Finland and PIN authentication takes like a second...
>>
>>59971633
All my chipped cards work with Samsung Pay.
>>
File: Cover-tom2.jpg (38KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cover-tom2.jpg
38KB, 565x600px
>>59971633
This is my favourite thread on /g/. Stupid americucks always make me laugh.
>>
File: V5K7N1I.jpg (54KB, 480x451px) Image search: [Google]
V5K7N1I.jpg
54KB, 480x451px
>>59971633
NFC = TRACKING DEVICE.
>>
>>59983304
>doesn't have the self control to use a credit card without instant financial ruin
>has to pay his bank for the "privilege" of using a debit card
>jajaja amerikuks mek me laugh because life ees kosmeek zhoke
I hope you find freedom soon, eurobro
>>
File: 1407268805169.gif (2MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
1407268805169.gif
2MB, 300x169px
Lmao americans are 3rd world as fuck. Even in Romania we have NFC and fast readers even on the most forsaken store. Literally 5 seconds to be done with everything. Hell even our ATMs have NFC readers so you can pay your phone/utilities without inserting the card.
>>
>>59971633
>between 5-30 seconds
U wot m8? Your halfway implementation and shit infrastructure are not Europe's fault, famburger.
>>
>>59971661
> /g/ should be all about ricing and arch is da best dist evah :D:D:D

I hate nu/g/
>>
>>59983447
don't forget "muh old free shit is better than ur new good shit"
>>
>>59974346
That's widely too complicated, Jesus Christ

I'm UK you can pay inside or at the pump, at the pump you put in your debit card, it asks for your pin, you type your pin and press enter, it says please wait, then remove your card, then it takes the money from your bank account, you don't have money in the account it won't let you buy it, it'll chuck out and error

They might have contactless at petrol stations now, I'm not sure

Why do Americans insist on paying with money they don't have?
>>
>>59979527
Yet you require visitors to your country to have one. The irony.
>>
> credit cards
I pay everything with nfc here in Japan. Even vending machines have nfc.
>>
>>59983322
I have it already lad. In the land of Europe I can pirate shit without telecoms suing me, and I don't need to give my social networks password at the airport.
>>
>>59972370
You're retarded if you bought shit with a credit card you just swipe and it approved it, that's it
>>
>>59982661
The sad part is you're not entirely wrong. I work as a cashier, and the number of times I see that terminal say "chip malfunction" whenever someone plugs in an old, dusty, dirty card that's been sitting in their pocket for the last two years makes me cringe. I usually have to explain to them to keep trying until it says to remove and swipe, and even then, sometimes it chimps out and tells them to use the chip reader again.

Also, our machines are so old that you can only use the EMV reader for credit card purchases. If you hit debit, it just says "remove and swipe".
>>
>>59983499
>Giving social network passwords at airports

Do burgers really have to do this?
>>
>>59983478
>Why do Americans insist on paying with money they don't have?
Why can't Europeans remember their checking account balance before charging up 3x their entire net worth on a drunken shopping binge?
>>59983499
>I can steal shit and everyone is on facebook
Ok
>>
The discussions in these threads always remind me that the US is a third world country.
>>
File: 2017-04-20_13.49.15.jpg (132KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2017-04-20_13.49.15.jpg
132KB, 1080x1080px
>>59971668
>microprocessor in credit cards
>>
>>59983544
Not normally. They're considering adding it to visa applications and ESTA for foreigners coming to the US as a standard part of the questionnaire. They theoretically could ask you at the border, but we're talking a very, very, very small (well below .01%) of incoming people getting asked, much less US Citizens.

Most of the time now US Citizens use automated passport control kiosks on which they make their declarations and it gives a printout. They give the customs officer their passport and the APC printout. More than 99% of the time the officer will ask a question or two (e.g. purpose of trip, number of checked bags, days outside the US) and then if the answers are consistent with the declaration stamp the passport + send people onward into the United States.
>>
>>59983623
https://www.chasepaymentech.com/faq_emv_chip_card_technology.html
>What is EMV?
>EMV chip technology is becoming the global standard for credit card and debit card payments. Named after its original developers (Europay, MasterCard® and Visa®), this technology features payment instruments (cards, mobile phones, etc.) with embedded microprocessor chips that store and protect cardholder data. This standard has many names worldwide and may also be referred to as: "chip and PIN" or "chip and signature."
>Named after its original developers (Europay, MasterCard® and Visa®), this technology features payment instruments (cards, mobile phones, etc.) with embedded microprocessor chips that store and protect cardholder data.
>payment instruments (cards, mobile phones, etc.) with embedded microprocessor chips that store and protect cardholder data.
>with embedded microprocessor chips
>microprocessor

Not sure what point you're trying to make, anon.
>>
>>59983644
Just smile and nod, mate. Assuming he's just some faggot who thinks EMV and NFC are the same tech.
>>
>>59973198
>waaaaaahhhhh

stop shitting yourself tubby
>>
>>59972300
Stores were given an 18 month deadline to switch over to chip, this is much too fast for companies run by doddering old geezers, so naturally they spent the first 16 months on "feasibility studies" and RFPs, and the final 2 months exchanging panicked emails with whatever Pajeet contractors they hired to patch their existing systems before the deadline

As a result at least half the payment processing software follows the "this shouldn't work but it does" school of development
>>
>>59977957
>In Europe, they're all talking about their PINs. They're all paying with debit.
U wot m8? I use chip and pin with my credit card in exactly the same way as with a debit card.
>>
>>59983803
>18 months

burgers confirmed lazy
>>
>chip cards
what year is it? i've been using NFC for basically everything since about 2012

i'm 27 and too young to have owned a pre-chip card
>>
B-but I thought we were all gonna pay with our phones by now
>>
>>59985025
Welcome to Scandinavia
>>
>>59979224
wat
Thread posts: 328
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.