[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but does anybody know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask but does anybody know anything about air conditioners?

I just bought a used window unit, and it blows warm air. After taking it apart, it seems like neither the evaporator or condenser coils get hot or cold. But I can hear the condenser start up about a minute after I set it to cool.

Is it just out of coolant? From what I can tell it seems like the condenser coil should freeze up if it needs coolant?
>>
You can probably find a video on Youtube that would walk you through a window AC repair. From my limited knowledge on those things, they're pretty simple in how they operate, the hard part is detecting and plugging any holes that may have formed in the tubing or coils and charging it back up correctly (high and low pressures and shit).
>>
>>59953694
Yeah I can't seem to find anything about what it means if the coils do nothing. There's a lot of info about if they ice up or drip too much but I have no idea what it means if they do nothing.

I guess maybe a leak somewhere.
>>
>>59953694
There's a leak somewhere. Better get it to the guys who repair that sort of stuff right away, you'll need some pro equipment to refill it anyways. They also should have leak detector to locate the hole and everything to repair it.

The whole unit might be fucked though if it runs on one of those modern coolants with special oil that turns to literal acid upon exposure to moisture in the air and it's been sitting like that long enough, or you may have trouble finding the right coolant if it's too old (stuff like R22 has been banned ages ago and is only available in limited supply).
>>
>>59955221
Thanks. Won't be worth it to have a professional fix I'm sure.

One other thing I noticed is that the compressor gets very hot right away when I turn it on. Is this normal/indicative of a leak?
>>
its either needs to be recharged, new compressor/coil, or its a bad capacitor
>>
>>59955630
Any ideas on how to diagnose which it is? I can install a new capacitor or maybe recharge it myself but if it needs a new compressor or coil then it won't be worth it to fix.

When I have the unit powered off but plugged into the power source the capacitor seems to be buzzing. Something is making a buzzing noise anyway.
>>
>>59955528
Well, it's cooled by the coolant flow, so it should get hotter than it normally is supposed to be. One major indication of a leak or, rather, lack of coolant inside, is that coils stay the same temperature. There's a small chance that there's something just plugged inside and stopped the coolant flow, but for an old unit a leak is the usual suspect.

What coolant does it use? There should be a label with something along the lines of R22, R401A, R600 etc. somewhere on the unit.
>>
>>59953694
/DIY/ might be able to help you too.
>>
>>59953694
It probably had a coolant leak. This is a bitch to repair and you're probably better off buying a cheapo new unit if it's not a large expensive one.

(e.g. if it's just a little 5-6000BTU unit it's going to cost more to repair than just buying a new one, if it's a 12K+ BTU unit then sure get it repaired)

They're going to have to most likely weld a bit on to the piping to add a valve to refill the coolant.

>>59955630
If it's a bad capacitor you wouldn't hear the compressor turn on, you'd hear it try to activate repeatedly.
>>
>>59955776
The compressor says R22 on it, which is hard to get now right?
>>
>>59957225
Yep, that's old. According to wiki it is still allowed to be produced to service existing equipment in the US until 2020, completely banned in the EU since 2015.

On the other hand, if you manage to get your hands on it refilling itself should be easier than with modern coolants where you must evacuate the system really good to ensure no traces of water stay inside.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.