[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /g/, can you dispel some myths about SSDs? I don't want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: brown rare pepe.jpg (103KB, 660x990px) Image search: [Google]
brown rare pepe.jpg
103KB, 660x990px
So /g/, can you dispel some myths about SSDs? I don't want to fall for yet another meme.

What's the catch?
How do they actually benefit the common user?
What should one look for?
What's the most important speed? Sequential?
>>
They're faster but more expensive.

That's it.

Don't buy the absolute bottom-bin ones and you'll be fine. Those ones have issues.
>>
Catch: They damage over time when writing

User Benefits: Random reads aren't in the kilobytes anymore, so boot is fast, and anything that requires a shit ton of files is quicker as a result.

Look: Don't buy chinkshit, avoid cancerous brands that use shit chips, and if you need a ton of writes, don't get TLC

Important speed: Depends, do you read/write big files? then sequential is the most important, otherwise, a great random read is nice, but HDDs suck at it because of the need to physically move the heads to read anything.
>>
cooler quieter smaller faster can be mounted any which way can be dropped without worry

basically a disk drive but better in every way
>>
SATA SSD's are fast but cost almost 10 times as much as HDD

NVMe SSD's are retardedly fast and most cost twice as much as a regular SSD. They get hot as fuck too but that's starting to get fixed last I heard.

I bought into the meme, my 5 year old laptop now starts in 20 seconds instead of 40 and I'm only able to connect at SATA III (3Gb/s). Nice having nearly instant anything instead of waiting for (and hearing) the HDD spin up.

Also I built a gaymer PC with one of each. I boot off the SSD quickly and store lots of shit on the HDD.
>>
Pros:
less sensitive to shock
lower power consumption
less noise
Faster random access times and sequential times < big one

Cons:
Cost
NVMe SSDs have issues where certain models are prone to thermal throttling, this is a complicated issue you should read into if you decide to go M.2 route.
SSDs have limited write cycles and will eventually fail. There is software that will allow you to take a look at this, but there's no real litmus test like bad sectors as there are with hard drives. Name brand SSDs should outlast your system anyways.
SSDs with size capable of bulk storage (e.g. 4TB+) are prohibitively expensive.
>>
>>59948313
>myth
You should minimize read / writes so it doesn't die.
Modern SSDs will last practically forever for home users. The SSDs storage size will become irrelevant before it dies from R/W.
>>
>>59948313

The catch, they are expensive for little storage

how do they beneift?

get a piece of plastic container and poke a hole in it with a pin, now go get a strainer and tell me which one passes water through it better, thats hdd to ssd. what you benifit from is all the little bullshit your os wants to use, all the programs that want to grab something from the hdd, all that shit is almost instant.

what you want to look for, 80% mixed I believe is what is what closest reflects how they are used, beyond that, something that can saturate sata 3 at the very least, that way the ssd isn't the bottlneck. see with nvme, somewhere around 400-500mb read, decrypting the compressed files now takes longer then loading the file from the drive, there are applications where they use un or lightly compressed files that see linear benefits or near linear benefits from nvme, but average applications just wont be bottlenecked by the storage media.

whats important... thats hard to say, read is more important as you dont do massive writes daily, how fast the data can be accessed is also important, honestly... you want to see what ssds are like get one of these
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0BD-000B-000V6
whatever size you need, that should perform close to if not better then shit ssds, then realize good ssds are worlds better.
>>
>>59948849
>Modern SSDs will last practically forever for home users.
they're rated for a certain amount of TBW which is 40-60 for cheap drives.
>>
>>59948867
Don't hard drives usually only spin up when they need something? Any don't they only do that as opposed to constantly being spun up because of optimized instructions?
What is going to happen when SSD's make the controller programmers lazy as fuck and performance gets shit on as with everything else?
Hold me, Anon, I...
>>
>>59948883
Their rating bears no resemblance to what they can actually take.
http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead

The SSD 'limited writes' meme REFUSES TO DIE
>>
How does a SSHD work?
>>
>>59948971

This was a brilliant write up. Shows how far SSDs have come.

Also shows that with the right monitoring software, you have ample warning of when the drive is going to fail.
>>
>>59948313

Christ. What a horrifically deformed physique. Is he pregnant?
>>
>>59948934
not sure I understand your issue.
>>
>>59948971
No mention of trim, fstrim, scheduled verses constant discards, etc. Hmmmmmm
>>
>>59948971
>http://techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
impressive
>>
>>59949383
Roids, HGH and genetics like Chloƫ Moretz.
>>
>>59949383
insulin and hgh mostly
>>
Tell me about pcie ssds
>>
>>59949271
An SSHD is a sort of mix breed between the two. You get the cache of an SSD and the bulk and storage of a Harddrive. They still have headers as a result.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.