[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you were to launch a startup and could choose to use any language

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: prog-languages.png (135KB, 620x258px) Image search: [Google]
prog-languages.png
135KB, 620x258px
If you were to launch a startup and could choose to use any language of your choice and force your employees to use any language which would you choose?
>>
PHP
>>
ASP
>>
>>59942526
brainfuck
>>
Java, so I can hire pajeets and not have to pay them as much
>>
rust

>>59942737

5.3 no less
>>
javascript
>>
>>59942526
Depends on what the startup is going to make, but I'll probably choose C#.
>>
>>59942526
C or C++

depending on lots of things
>>
Clojure
>>
Im assuming this senario is one language and one language only, that would be Julia for me

Its a scripting language but blazing fast, with speeds approaching C. It compiles to machine code so its good for systems level server programming. It has the option to declare static types to functions, and doing so aids in speed optimization as well as help against errors. It doesnt use OO, Im not saying that OO is bad but for a startup you want a language that can grow and evolve dynamically without being constrained by a class type system. It has high order functions and closures. It has macros. It has message passing concurrency built in. If there was ever a do-everything language, Julia is it.
>>
English.
>>
>>59943080
This, C if I want to drive away morons.
>>
>>59942526
Java production code
Python,octave,R prototype code
>>
>>59944076
C if it will keep the pajeets away.
>>
>>59942526
If they were instantly wizard tier experts in it as extra language, Scala or Haskell.

Otherwise, probably just Java or Scala mostly kept in Java imperative coding style.
>>
My company only provides the most efficient software so we write straight up in assembly
>>
perl

i think it would be fun
>>
>>59944362
embedded?
>>
>>59942526
D. If my company was cool and got to about 25 people, chances are all the experienced D programmers in the world would want to work there, so we'd have a hiring candidate pool of like, 11 people.
>>
Go. There is literally no reason not to use it in 2017/
>>
>>59942526
Elixir.

If it were a web startup, a modern, high-productivity web framework would be a must. Under my stewardship we wouldn't fall for the SPA meme. This would leave relatively few mature frameworks to choose from: Rails, Django, Phoenix and a few others. Phoenix has significant technological advantages over Rails and Django and a decent-sized and growing community, so Phoenix it would be.

If we did embedded, Elixir has an option for that as well: http://nerves-project.org/. It should not be difficult to hire for, since a lot of Ruby developers are learning it.
>>
>>59944422
package main

import "fmt"

func r(s string) (result string) {
for _, v := range s {
result = string(v) + result
}
return
}

func main(){
fmt.Println(r("scireneg on"))
}

https://play.golang.org/p/g2uqBbeP7K
>>
>>59943328
Is this language even finished yet?
>>
>>59942526
I have a question related to this. I was considering a project I had in mind that is a financial trading software. I'm considering what the best language to do it in. It seems like the best competition is done with C++. One of the competition uses Java and it has the reputation of being bloated and slow.
>>
>>59944763
I don't get it
>>
>>59944763
>No generics
>In non-OOP language
oh no?
>>
>>59944422
Haven't tried it myself but it seems to be all the buzzwords (scalable, fast, etc). And everyone I know that uses it always gushes about how amazing it is.

What's the catch? What am I not hearing about?
>>
>>59945638
Generics and OOP are orthogonal.
>>
>>59944422
Go is really ugly from both a syntactic and logical standpoint, it might be the ugliest "mainstream" language in existence right now.
>>
>>59945651
Fairly limited libraries, expect to do a lot of imports from community packages for some things
Getting used to the tuple-style return system is really fucking confusing to some people for some reason. I choose to blame java.
And you'll see about 10,000 of these in any program
if err != nill {
}

Overall it's pretty good, it's easy and fast to write in and pretty fast to run given how new it is and how many optimizations have yet to be implemented.
It also uses a crazy small amount of memory despite having no hand-managed memory allocation or freeing
>>
Turkish. Imagine the hypermasculine environment and brotherhood established by just six guys hanging out in an office yelling tech talk back in forth in turk language.
>>
>>59945735
can confirm, after work we wrestle each other naked in the hamam bath (not our fault, towels fall off) to deepen the bond, super masculine
>>
Emojicode
>>
>>59945712
>It also uses a crazy small amount of memory
That's true when you compare Go with Java, but the amount of memory Go uses is nothing special among AOT-compiled statically typed languages. There are other languages ranging from newer and smaller like Crystal to older and larger like Haskell that use about as much. Here is a benchmark that illustrates things pretty well IMO -- https://github.com/kostya/benchmarks/.
>>
File: memory.png (51KB, 333x897px) Image search: [Google]
memory.png
51KB, 333x897px
>>59945973
>>
>>59942526
F# and ASP.NET MVC
>>
>>59945495
yes, its finished. syntactically it is closest to Coffeescript in that it takes the best ideas from Javascript, Ruby and Python, it is more function based than object based, you dont want to be tied down to class types and scopes when handling big data
>>
>>59942526
javascript because web frontend requires it and since I'm a meme start up with >10 or so people i want to underpay my front end cucks to also do the rest of the meme SaaS bullshit I'm trying to get Y-Combinator to fund and later bought out by fb, google, etc.
>>
>>59942526
Probably java DESU. But no MyStartup.Enterprise.ObjectFactoryResource.newInstance() bullshit like you pajeet's are used to.
>>
>>59942526
I would choose C#/F# with Xamerian, with some light C/C++.
>>
>>59942526
C
>>
>>59943750
Underrated post
>>
>>59946993
Did you paste this from their website?
>>
>>59947887
no, its my personal opinion
>>
>>59944689
the heck is elixir
the heck is phoenix

im looking at the phoenix and elixer sites, and am seriously asking what the advantages are over RoR
>>
>>59949021
People mistakenly think that normal web servers have to maintain highly concurrent connections with thousands of users simultaneously and they really dont because every server request your browser makes is an isolated transaction. So something like PHP or Rails treats each web request in isolation and has no memory of previous request transactions. But more and more there are requirements to maintain live connections for things like social chat networks that require millions of simultaneous network connections to be maintained and this requires a programming language designed to handle that level of concurrency. Erlang was designed to handle huge telephone networks and so now its starting to be be used for large scale web applications that maintain state of millions of connections.
>>
>pearl
>>
>>59949021
elixir is a new language for the erlang vm

advantages over rails are performance, distribution, and reliability
>>
>>59942526
binary
>>
>>59946993
>yes, its finished.
It's v0.5.1 right now, though.
>>
Scratch
>>
File: dewey.png (159KB, 371x209px) Image search: [Google]
dewey.png
159KB, 371x209px
>>59949272
>>
>>59951260
Its not an experimental language, the syntax is finished and not going to change, its still at a low version because their still finishing the standard library
>>
>>59942526
Java with the processing library.

That's what I did, just werks
>>
Swift I guess... server side swift is gaining momentum
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.