[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>failed c++ two times. First time I was basically being lazy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: computersciencefail.jpg (22KB, 620x330px) Image search: [Google]
computersciencefail.jpg
22KB, 620x330px
>failed c++ two times.

First time I was basically being lazy that semester. Second time... I tried so hard to find the answers I was looking for. I went to class, went to tutors, went to libraries for c++ books and primarily just searched the internet to try and find out how to add two collections of objects together but failed.

Not only did I fucking fail, I failed hard. Basically cram studied before midterm and before I could even take it, I fell, broke my shoulder and went in with blinding pain and barely moving my arm. Instant failed midterm.

Is this just a sign? That I can't and shouldn't be a programmer? I spent all fucking spring break trying to find answers for the project and homework I missed and now it's over. And I got no where with it.
>>
>>59931601
You should find something you enjoy doing anon and try make a living out of it. If you are not actively programming on a day-to-day basis then you are wasting your time
>>
>>59931699
I thought I did enjoy it. That's the problem. Somewhere along the line I thought, okay this semester is going to be different, this semester I will try really hard on it. But even with all the hours I spent teaching myself about linked lists and dynamic allocation, I can't FUCKING ever complete the project given to me and my gpa immediately sucks ass because of that failed midterm. Top that off my shoulder still fidgets when I try moving.

Thinking about suicide atm because what's left of life if you dedicated it to something and can't even be FUNCTIONALL FUCKING GOOD at it.
>>
>>59931760
There's always a life of a 4chin neet for you, anon Get than chinkpad, watch some anime and idolise a freedumb libtard for the rest of your life.
>>
>>59931760
Try gender studies. All my stupid friends are doing it. But don't KYS
>>
>>59931699

this is a silly question but how do i actively program on a day to day basis? should i search for projects or something because the only things programing related ive been doing are just schoolworks
>>
>>59931601
> Failed to add two collections of objects

I mean... That's some basic shit not even unique to c++. But if you want to be a programmer be one. Don't buy books use Google. Write programs. If you're not programming outside of class as a hobby then you're probably not cut out for it. The ones who fail CS classes tend to be the ones who have never written a program in their free time.
>>
>>59931813
>because the only things programing related ive been doing are just schoolworks
Anon...
>>
File: 1453301370050.jpg (126KB, 1095x662px) Image search: [Google]
1453301370050.jpg
126KB, 1095x662px
>>59931813
just fork or contribute to peoples projects on github(Pick interesting ones), do Lynda/cbt tutorials and try make malicious programs you can load into a bad usb and leave them all over the place..

That's how I kept myself busy, YMMV
>>
>>59931813
> Want to be a programmer
> The only programming I do is school work

Does not compute
>>
>>59931601
If you really like programming and want to do something with it in your future (not just because you think it might pay good), then don't give up. You said you broke your shoulder just before midterm, so that could be a reason why you failed.
Find a way that is best for you to study, which could be books or maybe online tutorials. Try to figure out that task that you failed just now. Ask on internet for people to help you. Read other people's code, if that helps.

Ignore people who say that if you don't do anything but school work, you don't really want to be a programmer. If you struggle at something in school, it's hard to do more of it as a hobby.
>>
>>59931601
you are taking it like a fucking chore, to actually tackle a job that includes programming you need to at least be curious about shit and enjoy trying to solve it.
If you are not doing that at all, maybe you should not be trying to persue living doing that.
>>
>>59931784
I thought anime lovers were all Doland Duck fans and super conservative.

>>59931787
Kek. Good one.

>>59931816
I know how to do it in Java and Visual Basic but not in the way they're asking me in C++ with pointers.

I've been writing programs on free time. I even designed a tictactoe game but NOT with objects and classes. Or at least with objects being passed into another like a Contact to a Contactlist.

I know basic shit like the operator overloads and how in the very basic level of it, I add two objects together with other.somethinginsideclass.

But that's about it.
>>
>>59931875
Yeah, fuck that test. No remakes (I mean in the professor's position I could've been faking so I understand). My grade's struggling at a C- now. Couldn't even think about the programs I did prior to prep because it was so fucking painful as my thigh muscle snapped and my arm could barely extend past my chest.

>ask on internet

Tried. I tried googling everything from the project declarations but to no avail. I think I had a question posted on Cplusplus but they answered with vectors and not the way my professor wanted it.

The entire point of the project and homework assignment was to commit yourself to understanding what templates, vectors, and pointers were ahead of time. Using pointers to link two collections, I think. At least that's what I grasped. But everytime I even tried a basic program off a read I fucked up.
>>
>>59931916
>curious about that shit.

How did you think Spring Break started and prior to midterms? I was curious about how things worked but after failing for hours, not knowing how to apply the work to what I wanted to build, it becomes a chore. Iunno, maybe I don't have the right mindset for programming.
>>
>>59932001
honestly you don't really need c++ to a professional programmer. I'd say more than 50% in the industry don't know it.

IMHO learning c++ provides a good foundation for general knowlege of memory management. Pointers are easy as shit. They're just addresses that point to things. Do project eulers in C/C++ using pointers for practice. Use OOP where you can.
>>
>>59932077
>project eulers

Yeah I'll bite, what is that? I do programs at times in book and definitely copy code from book / comment out all the shit I need to memorize or think I lack in skill with.

Iunno, maybe it's just something with me mentally if I could spend so much time and output nothing but buggy code, test code that doesn't work, and copy code that I couldn't apply to project.

What gets me is the placement of pointers. Early on with pointer arithmetic and pointers to say a single dynamic array 2D, I can understand that, but for some reason the um

say

Object ** obj = new Object*[capacity]

Always fucks me because everytime I try to make this translate collections of some object to something else, I get loads of errors.

Part of it also is because teacher won't let us use beyond what we learned and this is essentially to learn vectors and templates ahead of time but it's aggravating because I'm just brute forcing it at this point.
>>
File: 1446356789831.gif (4MB, 600x596px) Image search: [Google]
1446356789831.gif
4MB, 600x596px
>>59932033
>(I mean in the professor's position I could've been faking so I understand)

No

That is bullshit

Breaking a limb is a legitimate reason to take an exam on a different day. Hindsight is always 20/20 but if that happens again you:

1. Email your professor before class
2. Go to the fucking hospital
3. Get X-rays done
4. Get a fucking doctors note
5. Give it to your professor

He will either a) Let you retake it shortly after or b) be a dick and try to not let you.

in case b) you go to your fucking dean because I do not care what found itself a nice secluded corner in your professors ass and lodged itself there, if you get beat into a 3 day coma by niggers on a street corner you have every fucking reason to retake your midterm.

Don't let your professor cuck you out of your GPA nigger. Take off your shirt and fight that fucker in the parking lot
>>
>>59932077
Addendum: Literally forgot it's not the end of spring break. The thing that broke my concentration was the fact the book does this list with vectors and a Node* sort of algorithm... and I'm not sure if this is acceptable n the c++ labwork because all we do is all we've covered.

I think testing is what really fucks me. Usually if it was something I'm interested in, I can search it up online and continue off branches of logic eventually knowing the entire tree or base work from tangential information I discovered. Like say Dark Souls item descriptions.

In college it's trying to find the exact fucking specific thing they did that they want you to do that makes me nervous as shit and often fail my exams.
>>
>>59931601
int C = 1;
C++;

What could go wrong?
>>
>>59932132
https://projecteuler.net/

btw two (**) means pointer to a pointer. so you have an array of pointers, each pointing to an array of objects. you reference an array by dereferencing once (*) and the object by dereferencing twice (**)
>>
Op stop playing video games or masterbating whtever is takin ur ti e ur clearly not programming also here is a talk about a guy tht took 6 years to get his cs degree n had a 2.3 gpa

https://youtu.be/YJZCUhxNCv8
>>
>>59932132
>>59932292
oh and
>teacher won't let us use beyond what we learned
fuck that shit. as long as what you're doing is fundamentally sound and efficient you should be able to write whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>59932263
That would be what an intelligent, normal person would do.

Here's how a low-functioning autistic did it.
>be me
>got so traumatized by the event that I literally spent all my time spring break coding.
>my doctor's appointment was on the date of the midterm anyways and emergency room visits felt like they took me away from my main focus.
>so all I did this entire break, instead of getting my shoulder checked, was code and watch other people code on YT vids.
>did this because even I thought it wasn't that bad, that it will eventually heal.

I thought... it's so hard to prove anything broke because I'm healing as if it was a sprained shoulder anyways so why even bother. I don't know man. Been a nervous wreck ever since.

I just wish it didn't hurt as much when it did or that something actually did break so I could come back with a doctor's note. It's in this bizarre middle ground where I have no evidence to back-up my claim but still had the pain of it's immediate impact blind me from my exam.

Thanks tho man. That really cheered me up.
>>
>>59932297
>clearly not programming

I'd like to believe that honestly, that everything I did up until now was just distraction and that I wasn't really giving my all into shitty buggy code that took 4 hours of my life before spending the other 4 hours on reading books, web sources, and youtube vids.

I'd love to say that honestly because then I wouldn't be incompetent, I'd just be lazy.

I'm more the former with a mix of the latter given I'm here. Thanks for the vid tho.
>>
>>59932001
>I know how to do it in Java and Visual Basic
I honestly believe that learning high level garbage first damages your brain. It makes it harder to think about what's actually going on because everything is hidden from you.
>>
>>59932311
Oh so you only give the final solution after programming it to say find sums of such and such the problem asked for?

Interesting. I'll try it anon. Thank you.
>>
>>59932400
Seems to be the case as visual basic did everything for me. At least I have a shitty associates degree to fall back on if I ever need to take McDonalds orders.
>>
>>59931601
Legit advice anon.
Make your program in Cython, then give your teacher the code it produces for you.

Not only will it be better code but it will also be optimized.
http://cython.org/
>>
>>59932292
Okay I'll bite. If I want to make a program say Storage that contains a collection of Boxes and verify this through a first-name/last-name basis.

Do I do linkedlists? I derped apparently and thought that was actually an inbuilt template when in reality that's an algorithm.
>>
>>59931601
I have to say, learn C first, looking at my C++ primer and that C book by Kernighan C seems much less bloated

If that is too hard python is another choice
>>
>>59933287
>Kernighan C

Eh it's not that it's difficulty. It's that I've been stumped by this very specific problem all spring break and am reconsidering c++ as a career given how slow I am.
>>
>>59933287
By that I meant, it was largely simplistic until now, but that's probably what you meant so eh.

I borrowed the C++ primer book. Got a lot of good algorithms.
>>
If they still teach c++ in your university, it's probably a good idea to look for another one. C++ is dead. It's verbose and not really fun to use anyway.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.