[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/uys, are there any employed electrical engineers here?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: maxwells_eqns.gif (3KB, 210x180px) Image search: [Google]
maxwells_eqns.gif
3KB, 210x180px
Hey /g/uys, are there any employed electrical engineers here? I'm currently minoring in EE and in a physics class I'm taking we're learning all of Maxwell's Equations (Gauss' Law, Ampere's Law, Faraday's Law, etc.). I'm curious to know: Do you guys use these equations frequently in your day-to-day projects? Or do they mostly take a backseat to actual circuit design? Also, how is it being an EE?
>>
theres only codemonkeys here, try /sci/
>>
>>59923271
Will you design essential shit like components used in circuits, like transformers, caps and shit? Then you'll use them daily.
Will you design products that use electronic components? You won't need them.
>>
>>59923271
From talking to my EM professor it seems like on most real projects of any complexity you need software to model the fields and their effects. So yes, as those laws govern how things work but you probably won't be using any dot or cross products. This is because most common situations have pre-solved equations wherein you just need to find the right situation and plugin variables.
>>
>>59923271
I'm not a eletrical engineer, but even when I had to design some simple non-digital circuits, I would use the simplified equations, so I wouldn't need to use calculus. And that's pretty fine when you don't need to deal with LC oscillators and filters bogaloo.
>>
>>59923271

You won't use really any of classical physics or mathematics in your job. You will use software respected in the industry. Also, you probably won't even be an engineer. Most people don't go into their field, some do though.

I was physics major, I am a programmer now and another programmer i work with is EE.
>>
EE graduate here.
I'm mostly a project manager managing various projects. Most of my work is mechanical E related along with some structural engineering.

Huge portion of graduates never actually work their respective field.
>>
>>59923271
Employed EE here.

No, I haven't had to actually use any of Maxwell's equations directly in the entire duration of my career, nor do I know anyone who has.
>>
>>59923370
Please enlighten me as to how you would need to use Maxwell's equations when designing a transformer or a capacitor.
>>
>>59925612

OP here, wouldn't you need to use them in order to create components with certain specifications? eg. in order to design a solenoid with a certain magnetic field through the center you'd have to use Ampere's Law across one side of the coils and solve with given parameters (current and such)?

Thanks for the insight, anons.
>>
>>59923315
>try /sci/
Are you trying to feed OP to shitposting dogs?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.