[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So whats a professionally maintained Linux distro that's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: 1492015799194.gif (2MB, 695x392px) Image search: [Google]
1492015799194.gif
2MB, 695x392px
So whats a professionally maintained Linux distro that's not supported by a "community", aka something that is financially stable so devs get paid to support it.????
>>
>>59913479
centos
>>
RHEL?
>>
>>59913479
redhat and therefore to a lesser extent fedora, ubuntu, opensuse
>>
>>59913479
RHEL, but Fedora is just as good, if not better.
>>
Isn't ubuntu supported by canonical?

Then why is it so shit.
>>
>>59914017
Upboated.

Fedora is the best of all worlds - relatively cutting edge and having Red Hat's resources and money behind it.

The six month cadence, while rolling within these releases, is also a good tradeoff.
>>
>>59914066
ironically, it used to be better when they were more community oriented
>>
>>59914017
>>59914100
>beta testing for free
>>
>>59914066
It isn't. It does what it sets out to do and makes an easily accessible linux to make switching over from windows easier. It isn't the best for an experienced user, but that doesn't make it shit. It serves the purpose it was designed for.
>>
OSX
>>
>>59914175
>linux distro
>>
>>59913479
The main Linux distros that are backed by companies are

RHEL which has other distros which are closely related to this work
see more at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux_derivatives
Also Red Hat provides a lot of work to develop Fedora.
Also in addition to being backed by Redhat's work, Scientific Linux is backed by research labs including places like Fermi lab and CERN.
Some of the other derivatives of RedHat's work include Oracle Enterprise Linux.
Also there are other appliance distros derived from Redhat's work which are commercially sponsored like Amazon and Google and VMware.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debian_family#Debian-based
The Debian family of distros are supported by companies such as Canotical which works on Ubuntu and Offensive Security works on Kali Linux.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_distribution
>There are commercially backed distributions, such as Fedora (Red Hat), openSUSE (SUSE) and Ubuntu (Canonical Ltd.), and entirely community-driven distributions, such as Debian, Slackware, Gentoo and Arch Linux.
>>
>>59913479
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,
is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux.
Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component
of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell
utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,
without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU
which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are
not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system
that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run.
The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself;
it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is
normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system
is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux"
distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59914270
I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
>>59914449

>>
>>59914270
>>59914449
>>59914787

this is why linux will never be as widespread as windows and osx, you autists.
>>
>>59914801

>>
>>59914809
>I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.
>Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.
>There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.
>>
File: file.png (43KB, 609x405px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
43KB, 609x405px
>>59913479
CentOS
>>
>>59914962
>I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux,

>Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day,

>There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a
>>
>redhat>fedora>opensuse>ubuntu
>>
>>59915085
"Linux", "Linux" a as as an another a and a as a a and are aware a and are a allocates an an a added, All are but by by basically by but but by basically calling component corelibs, components comprising computer called can context complete combination defined day, developed distributions distributions every events, essential for fact, free fully functioning full function GNU/Linux, GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux. I'd interject is in I've it, is itself, it. is is its it is is it, it is is in is itself; it in is in is just just kernel: kernel like Linux, Linux. Linux Linux, Linux Linux Linux moment. made Many modified many machine's not not normally or operating of OS of of of often of of other of operating only of operating operating or of plus POSIX. peculiar Project. people part program programs part referring recently rather run realizing really resources run. really system system shell system system system, system system system, system. system: system so-called to to taken to the the Through turn the today that the the There these the they the the the that the to the that The the the the the unto useful utilities users used users using use. useless used vital version version What without which widely with whole with you're you
>>
>>59917927
a a a a a a a a to to as is in or as to is an of by OS as by of of of is is of it is by is it is of is in to is an of an by it in of is in is or of I'd for it, GNU not but GNU the GNU and run the GNU it. the GNU and its are not the GNU the GNU and are it, but the the the the the the you The but can the the GNU the GNU All the are just like What I've plus unto free made full Many day, turn used many that just part they use. that that run. part only used with with fact, taken Linux fully shell vital users every which today often users aware There these using Linux other Linux whole Linux you're Linux, Linux. system rather system useful system POSIX. system widely called really Linux, people system system kernel system added, really moment. calling itself, another defined version without Through events, version system, kernel: program system, useless itself; context system. system: "Linux" recently computer modified peculiar "Linux", Project. programs function complete normally interject referring operating component corelibs, utilities realizing basically developed allocates machine's resources essential operating operating operating basically so-called GNU/Linux, components comprising GNU/Linux. GNU/Linux. functioning combination distributions distributions
>>
>>59917930
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Windows, is in fact, GNU/Windows, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Windows. Windows is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX. Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Windows", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Windows, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Windows is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Windows is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Windows added, or GNU/Windows. All the so-called "Windows" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Windows.
>>
>>59913479
Gentoo
>>
>>59917982
zrnliigea yuroe' ytrnleec ytssme yullf ytssme yb ytssme yb ynaM ytssme yvree yda, ywlied ytoda ynma ysllicbaa ytssme, yb yrllea ytssme ythe ytssme yuo ytssme, yb yonl ytssme. yronmlla ytssme: ytssme ysllicbaa yrllea xuniL, xuniUNLG/, xuniL. xuniL XSPOI. xuniL,"" xuniL, xuniL xttonec xuniL xuniL xuniUNLG/. xuniL"" xuniUNLG/. wuttoih wihhc wreaa wtih wolhe wtih veI' vtlia vsronie vtsnee, vsronie vpoleeedd utsj UNG uspl uton utb utonnniigfc UNG uuslfe UNG uttsliiie ullf utrpomec ussre urn UNG urohhgT urplieca utrn UNG used ussre UNG UNG usnig utb utsj use. ussrroeec urn. utb ussslee utonnifc used UNG UNG uttssroniiidb uttssroniiidb to ttrnjieec tonmme. thaW to tfca, tnkea to ti, ton trponigea tslife, trrhea tronhea tpoonnmec the tspoonnmec the ti. the tonfe tsi ton ttha ti the the trojecP. tshee ti, ti trpa the the the the ttha tsollecaa the to the trohe ttha tssnlieea trpa trponigea tslife; ti the tpomleec trponigea toonnmiicba the trponigea the the sa si sa si sroliecb, sllhe srponmiigc SO sa si si si si si si snmiheca' srrpomga si si si solledca- rof rrrnigfee ro rfee rea rheeT rea rnlkee: rrpomga rnlkee ro rea ppolee of omiifedd of of of of of of of of ni nlligca na nda nifeedd nda nda ni na na nca ni ni meda lkie lledca llA heT eddda, dI' a a a a a a a a
>>
>>59917994
'Id 'eoruy 'Iev 'acehimns -acdellos "",Linux ""Linux ,Linux ,acft ,/GLNUinux ,it ,efilst ,bceilors ,ady ,eenstv ,emssty ,Linux ,it ,emssty ,addde .emmnot .Linux .IOPSX .it .Pcejort .esu .nru .emssty ./GLNUinux ./GLNUinux :eeklnr :emssty ;efilst a as as aeknt acgilln an aeginoprt aehrrt aehnort a adem adn ailtv a as a aegiilnrz a aceilpru adoty acdell adn amny aer aaerw ahtt aabcillsy aellry a adn aer a aprt agmoprr ahtt aacellost agmoprrs ahtt an aeeilnsst aprt an aeginoprt acn a aeginoprt allmnory abciimnnoot aeginoprt aabcillsy All aer aellry btu by by by btu btu by bdiiinorssttu bdiiinorssttu ceeijnrtt ceelnrty cemnnoopt cfgiinnnotu cemnnoopst cgiimnoprs cemoprtu chhiw ceeorrssu cfinnotu cenottx ceelmopt ddeefin ddefiimo deilwy desu ddeeelopv desu eikl eefginrrr emssty eefr emssty eflsuu eht ehlls eiiilsttu emssty erssu einorsv eht emssty eervy eht einorsv efnot erssu eht eht eehst eelopp eht emssty ehty eht eht eht emssty eht eht ehort eeklnr eelsssu eht eht eht ehlow emssty eht for fo flluy fllu fo fo fo fo fo fo fo fo GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU GNU ginsu GNU GNU
>>
>>59918038
>>59917994
>>59917982
>>59917941
>>59917930
>>59917927
>>59915085
>>59914962
>>59914809
>>59914787
>>59914449
>>59914270
haaa, so this is the power of linux??
>>
>>59913479
SUSE Linux
>>
>>59914121
You're always beta testing all software for free.
>>
>>59914234
/thread
>>
>>59914801
>>59918277
Android already had more marketshare than windows and windows is losing hard in any other field that is not the desktop tho.
>>
>>59913479
RHEL
>>
>>59913536
it's community version of RHEL
>>59914066
it's based on Debian, which is supported by community.
>>
>>59921195
it's a community version that is fully sponsored by RedHat you fucking retard.

it's pretty much RHEL but you can't make support tickets on their site.
>>
>>59913479
Use Fedora.
>>
>>59921232
> CentOS
> Community Enterprise Operating System
> Community
Who is retard here?
>>
>>59921269
you?

community just means you can't issue support tickets to redhat.

it's literally all the same source tree, sans the red hat EL branding. it's literally even owned, as in sponsored by red hat nowadays and has paid maintainers just like EL.
>>
>>59921232
this
>>59921269
clearly you are
>>
>>59921257
> Fedora is developed by the community-supported Fedora Project
In the trash it goes.
>>59921313
>>59921314
> CentOS is community-supported computing platform functionally compatible with its upstream source, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).
Here we go again.
>>
Look at this:
https://portingdb-encukou.rhcloud.com/howto/
Fedora is literally asking for volunteers, fucking hippies.
>>
>>59921349
well if your definition is that way then none are supported unless you purchase a support license from someone. Not even Enterprise Linux comes with support unless you pay a fuckspensive license for it; for instance you can get a dev license for EL but it's basically as supported as fucking CentOS.
>>
>>59921349
>In the trash it goes.
Fuck you, buy an OS from red hat.
>>
>>59913479
none of them.

every linux distro is running some FOSS licensed software that is built and maintained by community members.

even a completely nonfree userspace built on top of linux could meet your criteria.

Linux is literally full of community code with community maintainers for whole modules and subsystems.
>>
>>59913479
Just buy a mac.
>>
>>59921482
> macOS is running some FOSS licensed software that is built and maintained by community members.
How about no?
>>
>>59921532
>How about no?
How about yes?
>>
>>59921554
Fuck off, hippie.
>>
>>59913479
RHEL, SLES, and Ubuntu. Redhat is probably your best bet.
>>
File: 1491790741701.jpg (112KB, 750x674px) Image search: [Google]
1491790741701.jpg
112KB, 750x674px
>>59913479
RHEL and Ubuntu.

You're better off with Debian though.

>>59914100
>Upboated.
You have to go back.

>>59914175
Darwin based XNU != Linux

>>59920850
This is another good one but zypper is trash.
>>
>>59921569
> Ubuntu
It's based on Debian, which is community supported.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.