[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why or how did the Internet become so cold, sterile, and uninteresting?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (137KB, 461x691px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
137KB, 461x691px
Why or how did the Internet become so cold, sterile, and uninteresting?

Everything now is social media garbage or created with the sole intention of generating profit.

The Internet used to be a place where people went and fucked around, where interesting things were shared solely because they were interesting, and where you could always see something new or creative.

Now it's just site after fucking site of commercialized trash which exists either to harvest your personal information for the purpose of delivering personalized ads to you, or to sell you something (and then use that purchase to deliver personalized ads to you).
>>
You got old and left newgrounds
>>
I think you answered your own question. It used to be full of people creating and sharing weird, cool, interesting things. Then the dotcom bubble happened, bringing the vapidity of consumerism and content-motivated-by-profit with it. It's been downhill ever since.
>>
File: 1457251799076.png (352KB, 318x355px) Image search: [Google]
1457251799076.png
352KB, 318x355px
>>59911689
this.
consumerism has ruined pretty much everything:
tv/film
computers
the internet
videogames
comic books

everything I've ever enjoyed has pretty much been degraded into half-assed products used to make money and cater to normalfags.
then when you finally snap, people turn around and ask you why you don't just absolutely love capitalism and democracy like they do.
>>
>>59911552
That's part of the reason why you're on 4chan. This site is more or less the antithesis to the things you are describing.
>>
The only websites people use now are Facebook, YouTube and Google to get to them. These websites are heavily monetised, moderated and reward things based on popularity.

The internet is now just as bad as television in principle.
>>
>>59911816
>consumerism
Use its real name, man.
>>
>>59911552
you don't notice the good stuff.
But yeah it spread a lot.
>>
>>59911902
what would that be? "judaism"?
>>
File: VRChat_2017-02-19_00-37-47-353.jpg (2MB, 4096x4096px) Image search: [Google]
VRChat_2017-02-19_00-37-47-353.jpg
2MB, 4096x4096px
Social VR is the new frontier- sort of reminds me of the early days of Garys mod only 1000x better.

Unfortunately it's somewhat tainted by SJW ideology as everything else is but that's easy enough to avoid
>>
Are you really too dumb to keep up with the internet that you act like it starts and ends at social media?
>>
>>59911963
Pure unadulterated self-interest I-me-mine Capitalismâ„¢.
>>
>>59911552
Here OP, maybe this will cheer you up:

https://www.detstar.com/
this used to be a website like you described. I've known it since 10 years ago. A year or 2 after finding it, it went dead. I've kept an eye on it the last 8 years with no sign of anything good happening.

But now: https://goldeneye007.detstar.com/

Deterest is back, bitches!
>>
>Payment processing got more trustworthy, making cash-in sites are easier
>Smartphones came out and "quick but mildly cash-in fun" moved from flash games to apps
>Facebook came out and filled the social needs of a lot of people who'd participate in more participatory communities
>Youtube and twitch compete for gamer attention
>Erosion of the middle class means people who work are busier

It's a lot of things, really.
>>
File: CkH3YRqUUAA3h1B.jpg (39KB, 600x726px) Image search: [Google]
CkH3YRqUUAA3h1B.jpg
39KB, 600x726px
>>59911552
>why does making the internet so widespread made it pander to the lowest common denominator so that it could become accessible to all the new people influx?

Gee, I dunno.
>>
>>59911552
Yea i remember the good days back in AOL instant messanger when i had dialup on my 56K modem card.
>>
>>59911552
In the past you had to be tech savvy to be able to use the internet, and I guess being tech savvy meant you had some other interesting traits which made the internet a more interesting place with interesting people.

Now, any uninteresting person with basically zero knowledge of technology can use the internet. And people who want to make money exploit this.
>>
>>59911552
social media opened the flood gates to women and niggers
>>
>>59911552
I think you're mistaking a proportionately less interesting internet for an internet with less interesting things because it's full of non-creators.

Imagine "cool things/ideas" could be measured by a unit - let's call them "U"s. In the earliest days of the internet, people connecting to the internet generally wanted to create new things and collaborate on new ideas. They were scientists, engineers, software engineers and new students who actually wanted to learn, from a time before education systems got heavily subsidized and pushed by governments that universities and colleges became degree-printing machines. Every new person added to the internet brought some quantity of Us to the internet and, as natural creators of things, every other person on the internet could interact with those Us to generate new, interesting things from those ideas and things. Even after AOL came around and introduced a lot of new, non-producers of Us, those new users certainly pushed ideas around faster, which really pushed some stuff into being mainstream interesting, but made some other stuff even more interesting because it wasn't nu-user, AOL-kid-normie-shit.

There was an implied multiplier effect of Us, where if we had N new user interactions, and a multiplier of D (with an additional multiplier of D for nu-user AOL kids increasing the velocity of how quickly new ideas were passed around), if new scientists were S, and new engineers were E, and new software engineers were Se and the nu-user AOL-shits were counted by Nu, we could easily find the amount of interesting stuff by the algorithm: U = Se*N*D*Nu*D*E*S

The internet got flooded with people who bend the internet to their own interests, force interaction of ideas to be made in a controlled way, and limit ideas that could be expressed based on what people with the most money want. The number of interesting things and ideas that come out is no longer multiplicative like that - but they still exist.
>>
File: 1492258776436.png (486KB, 675x482px) Image search: [Google]
1492258776436.png
486KB, 675x482px
It's funny. Kids nowadays have grown up, never seeing the pre-2000s web.

If you're so concerned, host a web server or go on Neocities or something. Found a club for the web, for Christ's sake.
>>
>>59912273
>Se*N*D*Nu*D*E*S
>>>/r/eddit
>>
The internet hasn't become cold, sterile, nor uninteresting. Normies just don't know how to access the good shit, which explains your view of the internet as sterile -- the internet isn't, you are.
>>
>>59911611

Fuck. That hit a little too close to home.
>>
File: morpheus.jpg (27KB, 620x348px) Image search: [Google]
morpheus.jpg
27KB, 620x348px
>>59912348
I was hoping to get that reaction. You're literally the problem. You see ideas that you don't agree with, instead of being constructive by telling me it's a shit joke and making a better one, you're telling me to go somewhere to "be with my people". You don't want to see a better, more interesting internet where ideas meet and become better. You want to be in your own special kind of safe bubble of thought, in the same way that you imagine reddit to be. You've gotten so used to a segmented, shitty internet, you can't imagine the internet in any other way, and you're literally fighting to keep it that way.
>>
>>59912017
So judaism. Gotcha shekels, goy.
>>
I've been learning to edit videos so I can make entertaining shit and don't want to make any money out of it because I still desperately hold onto the idea of what the internet once was about. I just do it because it's fun and hopefully make one or two people enjoy it as well.

making things better starts with all those that remember how good it used to be becoming creators.
>>
>>59912482
>instead of being constructive by telling me it's a shit joke
Well, since you asked so nicely: it's a shit joke. It was a shit joke before Reddit ran it into the ground, and it's still a shit joke afterward. Your actual point was buried in setup for your dank memery. Keep that shit on Reddit, where it's completely expected that every single poster has a moronic sense of humor.

>segmented, shitty internet
There's nothing shitty about segmentation. Different sites host different communities with different standards. Let the people who think repeating the same joke every day for a month is good comedy stay on Reddit, and let the people who think swastikas and the word "faggot" are hilarious stay on 4chan. If you think there's any shortage of diversity of ideas on either site, then you must be browsing with your eyes closed.
>>
>>59912132
This is a good point.
>>
>>59911552
>The Internet used to be a place where people went and fucked around, where interesting things were shared solely because they were interesting, and where you could always see something new or creative.

Places like those you described still exist, alongside the "commercialized trash" you mentioned. Sites do die -- users grow older and change their interests; admins move on; communities migrate -- but others pop up all the time. I remember having a cycle of GameFAQs game social boards I would go through once a day, checking for new posts and making topics.

These days I have a cycle of electrician/trades-related boards I cycle through once a day. And now, with many more people using the internet than 10 years ago, I have the added benefit of fast-moving boards like /g/ to visit.

If anything's changed, it's you: there was probably a time where you didn't mind online communities with a small user-base and slow traffic; however, you now have the attention-span of a gnat and want instant gratification, so you return to popular sites like 4chan, facebook, reddit, etc. and complain about how "cold, sterile, and uninteresting" the entire internet is.

Go find a small, niche community that you're interested in and fucking deal with the fact that it's small and niche. Just remember to not be a monkey and maybe the userbase won't collectively shit on and permaban you, you fucking nigger monkey.
>>
>>59913184
>Just remember to not be a monkey and maybe the userbase won't collectively shit on and permaban you, you fucking nigger monkey.

This unjustified, hyperbolic hostility is also a cancer on the Internet. Fuck off with your ragey 12 year old persona.
>>
>>59913373
>visits website known mainly for its hostile, aggressive userbase
>complains about hostility and aggression
You must be a special kind of stupid. If you don't appreciate the way users here conduct themselves, there's an easy solution: leave. There are thousands of other websites that will give you a friendlier reception. We'll carry on having a good time without you, the same way we always have.
>>
>>59913184
>I have the added benefit of fast-moving boards like /g/ to visit.
>/g/
>fast-moving
No.
>>
I've spent the last few months building a search engine (wibr.me) where only older html style, hobbiest made sites are kept. Which are minimal in bloat. If you know any decent sites, please submit some! I only got a few sites indexed.
>>
I've been on the internet since it was gopher. The big change and when it went to shit was when they let non-academic institutions onto the network. There was an initial flood of aol users followed by corporate users. That's when it started sucking and the news serves went to shit.
>>
>>59911552
Simply put, normies.
Not as an insult or anything, but as more and more normal everyday people started to use the internet, more and more companies tried to appeal. Eventually a few won out and now your average person only uses a few websites. They don't feel the need to find or create new things, because they are complacent. Due to this many people who were interested in tech tried to create these types of websites. Some died but many succeeded, and due to many of the old creators of the internet becoming cooperations, and the new users of the internet (teens and young adults) growing up when this was the case, creativity and genuine interest in the internet itself has been dying off.
>>
>>59914729
It's a hollowing out phenomenon.
>>
>>59914115
You should make a page on there which lists the indexed sites.
>>
>>59914115
http://mdpub.com/
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.