[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is configuration for this so difficult? I have 475 packages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: 1491833659242.png (41KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1491833659242.png
41KB, 1200x1200px
Why is configuration for this so difficult? I have 475 packages and still hardly anything works; I have to manually enable my network connection every startup, I have to manually start xfce, firefox smooth scrolling looks like shit, changing the size of the post box on 4chan tears like crazy, none of my external drives work when I plug them in even though they show up in fdisk and have worked even on Debian, the previous shittiest distro I tried, the font rendering is shit, and Japanese characters all show up as 桃

I honestly don't even know where to start first, or how to check and see if I fucked something up. Are you supposed to just keep reinstalling over and over again until you can do it quickly so when something fucks up or isn't working right it will be a quick fix to just reinstall completely?
>>
>>59907431
So regarding the font-rendering. Everybody always says the default one is garbage, but I cant remember installing anything to improve it, and waht I'm seeing really isnt that bad.
Am i just accustomed to the bad font-rendering so that I dont notice it, or is there some hidden magic going on on my arch-distro?
How can I know if my font-rendering is shit?
btw for Network-stuff u can just use Networkmanager or write urself a daemon that automatically enables stuff on boot, firefox works perfectly on mine, i3-gaps gets autostarted in my .xinitrc and all 4 of my external drives with encryption work perfectly. Dont use ching-chong characters tho so I cant say anything on that note
>>
>>59907501
>How can I know if my font-rendering is shit?
Post a screenshot
>>
>>59907431
>firefox smooth scrolling looks like shit
Smooth scrolling inherently looks like shit, that's why you turn it off.

Anyway your mistake was installing a timesink distro when you didn't want a timesink. If you aren't interested in spending an hour each on all these problems figuring out how they work, you should just go use some other distro. Not Gentoo, because Gentoo is the same way.
>>
File: (OP).jpg (153KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
(OP).jpg
153KB, 720x960px
packages=functionality
>>
>>59907431
> network connection
> XFCE
> firefox config
> auto mount disks

You're literally having trouble with the most basic shit. Just install gentoo.
>>
>>59907431
>start xfce manually
Install display manger or https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xinit#Autostart_X_at_login
>network connection
Install network manager and nm-applet.
>mounting disks
Install gvfs.
>tearing
What is your graphics card? Also, install compton and autostart it in xfce.
>>
>>59907431
If you don't understand how to fix shit on your own, you really shouldn't be on Arch.
>>
just use arch-anywhere. sounds like you didn't read the installation guide thoroughly. if you really want to do it yourself, youre going to have to spend some more time reading
>>
>>59907952
The shit he wants probably isn't and shouldn't be part of the installation guide since it's unrelated to installation
>>
Get a mac, brainlet
>>
>>59907431
>I have to manually enable my network connection every startup
Install wicd or use netctl.
>I have to manually start xfce
Install and configure a display manager like lightdm.
>firefox smooth scrolling looks like shit
Because you're using xfce. Compton might help.
>the font rendering is shit
Read about font rendering in the wiki and configure it.
>and Japanese characters all show up as 桃
Install sazanami.
>>
>>59907431
You should get yourself checked for intelligence deficiency.
>>
>ITT: Arch Linux. A bait OS designed to allow maximum intelligence-based shitposting.
>>
>>59908305
PEBCAK
>>
File: 9ST7r1p.png (239KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
9ST7r1p.png
239KB, 1366x768px
>>59907501
I like lots of things about Arch
but I absolutely despise dealing with fonts

when you are playing with network settings, with services, with fstab, partitioning shit,...
it all feels like its a worthy knowledge

While dealing with fonts feels like huge waste of my time with no realistic application further on. Fuck it I just want to install infinality and be done with it, but author went AWOL

anyway, this might be helpful to you
https://gist.github.com/cryzed/e002e7057435f02cc7894b9e748c5671
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.