[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm building a PC for maximum privacy. I always hear

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: img_1614_intel-core2-duo_02.jpg (223KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
img_1614_intel-core2-duo_02.jpg
223KB, 1024x768px
So I'm building a PC for maximum privacy. I always hear online that newer Intel processors have backdoors that people can use to spy on you, and that this started after the Core2Duo era. What's the most powerful Core2Duo/Quad that we know isn't backdoored? Also, I can get a Sempron 2560 from AMD for free from a buddy. Is that backdoored? Performance seems like it would be better than a Core2, and it has an integrated GPU. Is there anything else I should watch out for when choosing parts?
>>
>>59906106

Stop downloading CP
>>
Check every part for Linux compatibility
>>
Intel: anything before 2006
AMD: anything before 2013
>>
>>59906130
Not for that but ok bro whatever you say
>>59906161
So the Sempron should be good? Not sure on the age of that one.
>>59906140
Will do
>>
>>59906130
fpbp
>>
>>59906106
RAD-hardened 286 in a faraday cage.
>>
>>59906106
the backdor un the processors its called management engine for inter and amd have its own implementation, don't remember the name. In Intel it can be crippled with MEcleaner in certain motherboards.
>>
Or take some FPGAs and create own CPU
>>
>>59906130
No
>>
>>59906106
Every CPU since the Pentium iii has a backdoor, so...
>>
>>59906106
Mortals like you can't escape the likes of the NSA
>>
Don't even try... It's a waste of fucking time. As soon as you decide to go on the internet your privacy is gone.
>>
Could just do it Bin Laden style
He had a normal PC but no internet connection, rather someone would come on a motorcycle and deliver a USB with whatever he needed.
>>
>>59906106
TALOS workstation with an SDIP-27 A monitor
>>
>>59906106
If you want the ultimate in non-back doored performance, you will want to go with AMD Bulldozer. Also, for Core2, look at motherboards that can be modified to accept LGA771 Core2 Xeons. Thats what I am using.
>>
>>59906106
>Core2Duo
also has "management engine"

>>59906161
before they also had it, but in a different place
>>
>>59907286
>>59906106
cont'd

I am running a 3.16GHz Xeon quad-core overclocked the 3.8GHz. It has like 12MB cache. The CPU only cost $25 on eBay; eBay is flooded with Core2 Xeons

I heard there was a way to get rid of backdoor on newer Intel CPUs; can someone please elaborate on this?
>>
>>59906106
>I'm building a PC for maximum privacy
>post it on obvious honeypot

might as well browse the internet with your nintendo wii
>>
>>59907316
>there was a way to get rid of backdoor on newer Intel CPU
lies, it has only become more invasive.
on old cpus you could damage encrypted ME payload (binary blob image, that lives in BIOS) and it wouldn't take the binary, then and continue to run, on a new ones it will trigger watchdog timer after some time and shut down the main cpu
>>
>>59906106
only something non-x86.
Like ARM-based shit, or old PowerPC based Mac, or Mips-based SGI.
>>
File: 3bc.jpg (33KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
3bc.jpg
33KB, 640x640px
>>59906106
If it has a management engine, it's backdoored. If you want to find out if the Intel ME or AMD PSP is present, live boot into Ubuntu or something on a machine with that processor installed, open the terminal, and type "lspci" to list PCI devices. If a management engine shows up on the PCI bus, it's backdoored.

Also, fucking Google it.
>>
>>59906626
Unfortunately FPGAs themselves are closed-source

>>59906596
more details? what is ME cleaner? what motherboards?
>>
>>59906672
having a serial number != having a backdoor
>>
>>59907511
but he is right, P3 also had a backdoor, although you could cripple it and everything would just work, not like on C2D+
>>
>>59907198
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

>tens of gigabytes of data in around an hour, which on an average bandwidth basis compares very favorably to current ADSL standards, even when accounting for lost drives.
>>
>>59906672
It was only on certain Pentium IIIs.
>>
just buy a PC from the FSF, they sell "respect your privacy" certified computers with coreboot preinstalled and such
>>
>>59907379
>it will trigger watchdog timer after some time and shut down the main cpu
bro this has been solved months ago
>>
>>59907408
>ARM
no

>PPC, MIPS
maybe

what you really want, is SPARC
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.