[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can I get a redpill on CPU overclocking? The amount of conflicting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 1.jpg (190KB, 624x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
190KB, 624x480px
Can I get a redpill on CPU overclocking? The amount of conflicting information is retarded.

>Is it safe?
>Does it degrade the CPU faster?
>>
>>59898709
The first think you gotta understand, my nigga, is that all CPUs aren't exactly the same. When someone says they can overclocked a chip to 4.6 GHz that doesn't necessarily mean your chip can go that high. What a good tutorial will tell you is how to walk your CPU up until it becomes unstable or until it reaches a speed your that satisfy your productivity requirements.
>>
>>59898744

I just did a bitch mode overclock right now just to test the waters and here's what I got

>1.21V
>4.3 GHz
>82 degrees MAX temps under Prime 95
>45-55 degrees emulating in Cemu
>No crahses

Is that fine? I just get paranoid about this "degradation" shit and don't want my CPU bottling out on me.

Also, is Dynamic volts better than Static? I hear that Dynamic is better for long term use and Static is better for testing.

Specs:

>4690k CPU
>Hyper Evo 212 cooler
>>
>>59898709

Yes it's safe, I would guess it degrades the processor faster aswel. I tend to undervolt them to get them cool. I delidded a 7700k and reduced stock voltage to 1.09 and I can run it with all fans on minimum speed with an air cooler.
>>
>>59898709
Dont got over 70C
Get a beefy cooler
Get RAM that wont fry itself
get mobo that will actually allow you to overclock
That is pretty much it
>>
>>59898709
>redpill
>>>/r/redpill
>>
>Is it safe?
As long as you don't do anything stupid like try running the CPU at 1.5V.

>Does it degrade the CPU faster?
Yes. However, compared to the other parts, your CPU is pretty durable. Even overclocked(assuming we're not talking about extreme overclocks), it's practically guaranteed to outlast the motherboard and the CPU socket.
>>
>>59901382

oh no he used a word conservatives use!!

>muh resistance! muh madame president!!
>>
>>59898709
I've been running my 2500k at 4.6Ghz with ~1.3V (can't exactly remember the voltage) since they launched and have had no issues.
I'll be buying a new CPU way before it shows any signs of degrading.
>>
>>59898709
If you have intel cpu:
- Don't go over 1.35v (preferably stay under 1.30v)
- Don't let the temperatures go over 75 degrees celsius (safe zone is under 70)
Always set voltages manually and look up what each option does before messing with it and you'll be safe, no cpu degradation.
>>
>>59898709
Once 4.9-5GHz i7 3820 user here.

Fuck thermals, fuck degradation, fuck lotteries.

Just took the thing and turned up voltage to 1.38V until it was stable while going for gold on clock rates.
Turned up load line calibration as high as it would reasonably go.
96C under full load but the single threading was good enough to justify it in my case.
Had to knock it down 0.1GHz in the summer to avoid over temp cutoff when the AC went out but that was about it.

It's free performance at the expense of greatly increased heat output and energy consumption.
Must've been pushing ~220 watts on full load.
>>
>>59901617
>reddit formatting
You have to go back.
>>
File: IMG_3997.jpg (80KB, 1024x822px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3997.jpg
80KB, 1024x822px
>>59901617
>>
>>59901886
>96C under full load
holy shit
>>
>>59898785
>overclocking Haslel
you will not notice any performance gains other than "muh gigga hurtz"
>>
>>59901870
>safe zone is under 70
[citation needed]
>>
never bothered manually overclocking mine, the motherboards "enhanced turbo" system does a pretty good job. takes me to 4.6ghz during handbrake encodes, temps rarely break 68°c
>>
File: 1427634683522.jpg (84KB, 750x709px) Image search: [Google]
1427634683522.jpg
84KB, 750x709px
I always overclock when I'm drunk to get more FPS out of Milkdrop while listening to Drum and Bass music and then wake up in the next morning hoping that I didn't fry my CPU.

I should be banned from using computers while being drunk.
>>
File: KYS_1491703026784.jpg (378KB, 1239x795px) Image search: [Google]
KYS_1491703026784.jpg
378KB, 1239x795px
>>59898709

Go to: overclock.net

Spend a weekend reading through the forums. Make sure you learn how to SEARCH.

>redpill

RRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeee!!!

Seriously? Kill. Your. Self.

Immediately.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.