[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone redpill me on NoSQL? Why is it so "powerfull"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Amazon-DynamoDB-1438723482.png (31KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon-DynamoDB-1438723482.png
31KB, 400x400px
Can someone redpill me on NoSQL?

Why is it so "powerfull"?

I can't even imagine a schema without relations.
>>
>redpill
Fuck off back to where you came from
>>
>>59881434
I thought the analogy of the pills, as the blue being the current status quo and the red leading to a new way of understanding was most adequate for this case.

Didn't mean to disrespect senpai.
>>
>>59881407
Depends on what your data is and how you store it.

A relational database will prove advantageous if you rely on the database to do the work (lots of joins, structured data). If you have data that doesn't fit well in that model, or you are primarily doing read calls, then a more simplistic key->values storage might be preferred in which case you would want to use nosql.
>>
>>59881434
ooooo, someone got triggered hard.
>>
>>59881545
I keep reading that NoSQL is the next evolution of DBs, not an alternative to SQL.
>>
>>59881808
Personally, both products wouldn't exist if one was superior. AWS (and GCE, and Azure) all know that some workloads work best with certain storage/DB mechanisms.

Nothing is a clear winner in computer science ever.
>>
>>59881808
That's probably because those people don't know what they're talking about and/or jump on every single new technology like it's going to save us.

NoSQL is good for its problem domain, but there are still areas where it's not going to come close to an RDBMS.
>>
>>59881545
This is true.
Basically you de-normalize the database (imagine no lookup tables) and take up more storage (because it's cheap), in exchange, it can easily scale up to a huge size and can be very performant.
>>
Simple system for simple applications.

For dynamodb in particular, as with most cloud things, it boils down to a tool you can throw a lot of money at to make a problem go away for a while.

>>59881808
It goes in cycles.

But the more complex your application gets, the more reverse-lookup tables or odd semantics you add, and eventually you end up with a hack of a relational system on top of the NoSQL system.

The Dynamo paper is nice tho.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.