[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shopping for burgerland internet here. Between AT&T and Spectrum,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: att spectrum.png (85KB, 978x340px) Image search: [Google]
att spectrum.png
85KB, 978x340px
Shopping for burgerland internet here. Between AT&T and Spectrum, which ISP is less shit? I'm leaning toward Spectrum based on what I've read so far. They're both offering about 60Mbps for ~60 bucks but sounds like Spectrum has better service and no data caps.

I can also get Earthlink
>>
>>59867405
can also get earthlink but I don't know what their 'normal price' will be after the 3 month promo window. Seems to promise similar speeds however.
>>
I'm paying $40 for 60mbps on spectrum.
I've threatened to cancel 3 times in 3 years and they keep giving me the introductory rate they gave me 3 years ago.
>>
>>59867537
that's about what I'm seeing offered. Are they true to their promised speeds? I'm seeing some variance on 'what they sell' vs. 'what you get'
>>
>>59867405
Charter/TWC/Spectrum is generally less shit than AT&T, but in a few cities, the reverse is true.

You need to find information specific to your city.
>>
spectrum
at&t is shit
>>
Depends on what you want out of your ISP.

AT&T doesn't offer the speeds that Spectrum does, and they charge more money. This is true in my market(Los Angeles), but I chose AT&T over TWC/Spectrum at every turn.

Here's why:

In a lot of places, Spectrum is delivered over old cable infrastructure which hasn't been updated in who knows how long, since Spectrum is just a mashup of big cable companies.

In most areas, TWC was delivered over shared lines, meaning that heavy usage by the few on a block can affect the performance of the many. People using TWC had complained about their internet being slow during peak usage hours, due to the shared connection. I guarantee that with the prices Spectrum is offering, they haven't upgraded this infrastructure. My neighbors had complained about this in the past; this very complaint that stopped me from using TWC. Spectrum customers are on this very same infrastructure. I know because they haven't done any work on the lines in my area.

A few people I knew who were on TWC complained about TWC being in their business about piracy. TWC would send them warning letters and make phone calls about illegal downloads. We surmised that they didn't want you using the internet you paid for so they could save money, but that's just opinion. I've never received any kind of communication from AT&T concerning my use of tpb, or any other piracy.

AT&T have limits on high speed data. After I use my allotted 1024 GB of data, they throttle my connection to 128 kbps.Their app makes it easy to track my data usage, but this is still not something I care for. Spectrum offers unlimited high speed data in my area. I don't know if that's their permanent offering.

I heard complaints about TWC customers being forced to lease their equipment instead of buying it. I don't know if that's true, but I did hear it. I know that AT&T sells me the equipment, because I still have my old router that I got after upgrading the first time, but now it's useless.
>>
>>59867405
I have AT$T now but am considering spectrum because AT$T is fucky with how hard they want to sell user browsing data, although Spectrum probably will do that too. TWC/Charter/Spectrum has a bad rap in rural areas because they hold a virtual monopoly and offer shit speeds and service, but they've changed a bit as I've been reading up on them. AT$T speeds are for me as follow according to Ookla:
download - 4.76 Mbps
upload - 4.53 Mbps
ping - 24ms
I don't have consistent speeds on this since this is for wifi, my ethernet is significantly better at remaining consistent but speeds are a bit less than that. Took me ~7 or 8 hours to download Doom which is like 75GB.

Just remember that TWC is different from TW the tv provider which is super shitty.
>>
>>59867405
spectrum out here is offering 100Mbps for $40 for new customers for a year if you use your own router, $45 if you rent theirs.

Idk why they're giving you 60Mbps, 100Mbps is the new starting speed.
>>
>>59868141
I'm not trying to say that AT&T is objectively better, and I don't have all the facts. But, I'm satisfied enough with AT&T that I don't take Spectrum's offer of double the max download speed for less money than I pay to AT&T. I've been an AT&T customer for a long time and am no longer on contract.

Complaints about TWC internet in my area, coupled with my hesitance to enter a 1yr/2yr contract with them, have made me reluctant to switch, especially given that I'm satisfied with my AT&T service. I don't like the data limit, but I don't stream video. I don't like the high price, but we split the cost in my house, so I only pay a third.

We pay $70/month for 45Mbps down/10Mbps up. It's definitely not the best deal, and I won't defend AT&T, but there's only two options in my zip code and AT&T has the better reputation and higher customer satisfaction rating.

Also, AT&T will overload your bill with 3rd party services if you're not paying attention. My dad was paying them for identity theft protection through a 3rd party. I told him he was a retard for paying the phone company for that when he gets it from the bank. He's stubborn and dimwitted about technology though, so he didn't listen.
>>
>>59868141
I live in Los Angeles too, near Glendale and it's only AT&T and Spectrum available in my area. AT&T doesn't bother me about torrents either when I was younger and didn't use a vpn back then, but still doesn't bother me now.
I just wish there wasn't a colluding force to keep only two providers in the area and fuck people over with an either/or option instead of having more options to choose from. Friend of mine in Laguna has Cox and swears by it but reviews aren't too positive for them in other states. Still, a real competition would make providers offer more than a few Mbps.
>>
>>59868155
This is the same offer we get in Los Angeles.
>>
>>59868155
OP here, I haven't actually called them yet, I was viewing online before I did.

I might have to talk to some of my new neighbors when I move in, see if any of them have any opinions on their service.
>>
>>59868203
I live near Gardena, on the opposite side of the city.

I wish we could get Verizon or Google, but AT&T have a monopoly on the infrastructure and the poles, making that impossible. SOME kind of competition to get better prices. We pay more for internet here than anyone I know from outside the LA area, for lower speeds.

I still don't use a VPN.
>>
>>59868270
This.

In L.A area as well. switched from AT&T to spectrum after being with AT&T for 9yrs they suddenly they wanted $43 a month for their shit tier "elite" (6Mbps down 1 up) internet when we used to pay $22 for it. This was also the Fastest speed they had available in my area..

Switched over to charter/spectrum for $40 a month for 100Mbps down 6 up and have had no regrets so far.
>>
>>59868327
I had that same internet for over a year. $30/mo. for 6/1Mbps.

But, at the time TWC was incredibly shitty about their reliability. I had to help my neighbor across the street get his TWC internet fixed twice during that time. (He's old.) The guy on the tech support line was friendly, but he didn't know much other than what was on his screen. That's not counting the numerous times TWC reset the router silently from their end. One of their DSLAMs fried somewhere on our block, so this time it wasn't simple enough that they could fix it without someone actually manning the router in his house.

AT&T's speeds are shit, and they're overpriced as fuck. I know I could get a better deal on paper from Spectrum, but I don't want to pay for installation, or lease equipment. Those basically negate the savings I would get for the 1yr price, then they would just want more money after the 12 months. I only had to pay $30 for my new router when I got AT&T to upgrade my service. They sent someone out to do installation and setup for free. He had to rewire my phone jack both inside and outside(ADSL). If I needed or really wanted higher speed, it might be worth it, but 45 is fine for 3 people, especially when there's no actual net savings to be had in switching and taking a gamble on someone new.

What's your ping usually?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.