[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!!! WHY does Microsoft get to reap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 12

File: 6-console-tmux.png (453KB, 2736x1824px) Image search: [Google]
6-console-tmux.png
453KB, 2736x1824px
IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!!!

WHY does Microsoft get to reap the benefits of the *NIX ecosystem without open-sourcing their operating system? Literally all they're doing is re-implementing Linux syscalls from scratch and now GNU/Linux programs are running natively on Windows. And they've successfully cucked Canonical into going along with their plan.

What can we do about this?
>>
>>59864571
Huh..
>>
>>59864571
Neat
>>
i guess theres no reason to install gentoo anymore
huh
install windows 10
>>
>>59864571
whoa
>>
>>59864571

It still spys on you so I won't touch it in 100 billion years
>>
That stuff is laggy as shit. Took 3 Minutes to install fucking fortune
>>
>2736x1824
>That font size
Jesus christ
>>
not use windows 10 because it's a shitty os
>>
>>59864571

THIS IS LITERALLY WHAT OPEN SOURCE WAS DESIGNED TO DO
>>
>re-implementing Linux syscalls from scratch
If they didn't use GPL code in their implementation then they have no obligation to do anything, this argument sounds a lot like Oracle's lawsuit against Google claiming they owe royalties for rolling their own implementation of a public API
>>
>>59864688
Are you sure you're not just retarded?
>>
Embrace,
Extend,
Extinguish.

Nothing of value will be lost however as Linux has been getting worse and worse over the last 5 or so years.
>>
>>59864571

>install virtualbox
>setup VM with Distro of your choice
>have a complete environment for development

why did they even bother?
>>
>>59864683
>>59864702
Don't you understand the peril we're in?

Microsoft is a business. They're trying to get into the business of Linux without actually buying into the Linux ecosystem. Being a developer curiosity is only the beginning. They want to be able to run Linux applications on Windows seamlessly. That's the embrace part. Then, once they're a significant portion of the enterprise Linux market, then they'll flex their muscles and Extend WSL in ways that are incompatible with GNU/Linux. Then comes Extinguish.

And before you call bullshit, they've already done this once. Look up Interix.

WSL is a problem no matter what operating system you run. They don't have to convince us to run it at all, we're not even on their radar, they just have to convince suits with money who actually make the decisions.
>>
>>59864793
Honestly because they probably recognize the NT shell is so impossibly fucked because of two decades of legacy bullshit being left in that the only logical way forward is to absorb bash and re-implement it to deal with Windows hooks and handles.

Plus it's pretty convenient to have bash laying around without having to spin up a VM all the time
>>
>>59864747
>Nothing of value will be lost however as Linux has been getting worse and worse over the last 5 or so years.
There is nothing unique about any of the alternatives to Linux that prevents Microsoft from repeating the same playbook with them.

If anything, the BSD's make such a task trivial, since there is no copyleft preventing them from just copy-pasting the original code.
>>
>>59864806
>Extend WSL in ways that are incompatible with GNU/Linux. Then comes Extinguish.

so become incompatible with the the majority of servers and routers and other devices that run Linux?

see the problem is that EEE only works in a position of extreme monopoly, Microsoft only has a monopoly in desktop operating systems.
>>
>>59864824
>Honestly because they probably recognize the NT shell is so impossibly fucked because of two decades of legacy bullshit being left in that the only logical way forward is to absorb bash and re-implement it to deal with Windows hooks and handles.
The NT team has known cmd.exe has been shit for at least a decade. Powershell came out in 2006. Where the fuck have you been?
>>
>>59864910
>so become incompatible with the the majority of servers and routers and other devices that run Linux?
No, Extend as in Extend - add new features that are specific to WSL that you can't reasonably implement on Linux itself.
>>
>>59864910
Then make it so their desktop OS (always phoning home now, remember) throws up false errors (like with, I believe, DR-DOS), oh, but you can use Windows Linux Serve that's totally compatible and wont have these errors.
>>
>>59864824

You mean the Win32 subsystem right? NT kernel has fuck all to do with legacy crap, that's all Win32.

As a Windows dev, you seldom touch NT syscalls directly, you interface through the subsystems.

NT was designed to be portable first and foremost with the ability to add subsystems such as Win32, UNIX, OS/2, and now WSL.
>>
>>59864933

>No, Extend as in Extend - add new features that are specific to WSL that you can't reasonably implement on Linux itself.

>Then make it so their desktop OS (always phoning home now, remember) throws up false errors (like with, I believe, DR-DOS), oh, but you can use Windows Linux Serve that's totally compatible and wont have these errors.

This shit only makes sense when you don't think about it.
>>
>>59864979
It worked before. What makes you think it wont work now?
>>
>>59864910
>see the problem is that EEE only works in a position of extreme monopoly, Microsoft only has a monopoly in desktop operating systems.
This. The only reason why Microsoft implemented this is because they're losing hard in any other area and in fact the desktop is barely profitable compared to the areas where linux dominates, if it weren't like this they'd be still trying to force everyone to use powershell or something made by them. Apple has a niche market but it's a market that point to the people who is actually willing to spend money constantly, so they actually get constant profit from their business. Microsoft should try to find their proper market instead of thinking that they're safe if they try to lock everyone into using their desktop operative system, considering that the mobile devices is what is growing now they're not even safe in their desktop monopoly.
>>
Embrace extend extinguish
>>
>>59864654

tpbp
>>
>>59864913
Having to work with the absolute clusterfuck that Powershell is every goddamn day.
It's a huge improvement in scripting utility over cmd, but it's still a fucking trashcan of a shell

>>59864959
Subsystem, shell, whatever.
There is no good command line system for Windows, and the ones that exist are so impossibly broken I can see windows basically just stealing bash for their own
>>
>>59865009
Because this was implemented for the reason that a huge number of developers (except for game developers) use linux and they're trying to lure them back to windows. If they make that right now and their implementation becomes incompatible with linux is the same as not implementing anything in the first place, those developers that are already comfy on linux will just come back, they can only pull this when they're strongly dominating that specific market for the intended audience.
>>
>>59865073
That's the 'extend' part, you big silly. They're used to Linux, fine, so now there's Linux on Windows, then they 'extend' the environment to one that simply cannot be re-created on Linux, and there you have them.
>>
>>59865009

Because 20 years ago they extinguished OTHER PROPRIETARY SOFTWARE vendors.

How are they going to extinguish an OSS project? Especially one as large as Linux?

So what if Microsoft introduces some feature to WSL that isn't on Linux, either it will be re implemented on Linux or, more likely, it won't be used at all because Linux is the OS du jour beyond desktops, and Windows (and WSL by extension) is not.

Again, your entire prediction depends entirely on the assumption that Microsoft is in a monopoly position just as they were in the 90s to be able to pull this off, beyond desktops Microsoft is very competitive, but not even close to monopoly status.
>>
>>59864571
nothing it will only ensure their decades long dominance on desktop platform
>>
>>59865070

>There is no good command line system for Windows

Even the Windows team agrees with you there, they're working to fix the commandline environment in Windows 10. Idk if they'll be successful.

>the ones that exist are so impossibly broken I can see windows basically just stealing bash for their own

They already tried just porting bash and UNIX commands over, it didn't work very well. Windows is object-based; files, devices, etc are objects with properties that can be manipulated. Its very different from *NIX where everything is a file and is manipulated through string manipulation.

Its not for lack of trying either, the guy who invented Powershell (and is now in charge of Windows Server) is a huge UNIX nerd who is pushing hard for Windows to be entirely admin-able from command-line.
>>
>>59864571
I've tried it and is amazing, good fucking ridance to my linux partition.
>>
>>59865366
It's not so amazing if you have a cheap VPS specifically for Linux. You can even access them from anywhere.
>>
>>59865254
> pushing hard for Windows to be entirely admin-able from command-line
From what I've seen dealing with 2012 R2 and 2016, Hyper-V and SCVMM, they're doing a pretty fucking solid job of it.

It's just a shame powershell is such a disgusting mess that reminds me of C# jammed together with Perl and pipelines
>>
>>59864571
All Linux did was re-implement Unix syscalls from scratch
>>
>>59865398
Why is it a disgusting mess? I've used it a little, and although it's annoying to type out long commands interactively, I imagine it works much better in a script. I also really like the conceit of passing objects with structure along pipes as opposed to unstructured text necessitating dumb UNIX hacks like "delineate my output with null terminators.....if you remember to XD XD XD"
>>
>>59864571
yeah, I'll wait till you can mount network shares, without that its useless
>>
>>59865070

>it's still a fucking trashcan of a shell

In what way, I use powershell almost daily for all scripting tasks and find it a joy to work with. It interfaces with Windows and Windows products and even other products in such a way that make it easy to get shit done.

Also, Objects > Text

Bash is a clusterfuck compared to Powershell
>>
>>59864721
No, it's what cucked source was designed to do.
>>
>>59864738
It's more that OP is upset that Microsoft has found a way to do exactly what the GPL was created to stop them from doing.
>>
>>59865438
>>59865533
Because it's rife with shit like
[System.Management.ManagementDateTimeconverter]::ToDateTime($Bootup)   
Object System.DirectoryServices.DirectoryEntry('LDAP://CN=Sites,' + $objRootDSE.configurationNamingContext)
$objSearcher = New-Object System.DirectoryServices.DirectorySearcher

It's incredibly, incredibly powerful and is great in that sense, but as a language into itself it's horrible
>>
>>59864747
This exactly, it is what MS has been doing for decades now. They just got dumb while Balmer was in charge. Now they just have a good undercover leader who managed to cuck Linux. Same plan and strategy though. In ten years Windows will be the better Linux.
>>
>>59865254

>they're working to fix the commandline environment in Windows 10. Idk if they'll be successful.

They're doing a great a job. With the inclusion of package management features in powershell, and the ability to download modules via the gallery, they allow you extend your shell well beyond it's stock functionalities.

>Windows to be entirely admin-able from command-line.

And they're doing just that. And now with the inclusion of DSC resources they're making treating your fleet of servers as cattle easier than ever, and ensuring that what get's configured, stays configured, and changes are made in a central repository and pushed/pulled to the rest of the machines a-la-grouppolicy. And it's cross platform, so you don't need active directory to do this.

/g/ shits on MS a lot, a many times they do deserve it. But powershell is not one of those things.
>>
>>59864806
Fuck look up Novell.
>>
>>59864910
No be on those devices.
>>
>>59865390

Except when your internet is down.
>>
>Running unix shit on win 10
>Still can't play a wav file or draw a circle in linux

fucking lol
>>
>>59864571
That's what GPL is about.
Microsoft haven't violated shit and there's nothing you can do about it.

Microsoft returning a favour would be nice, but they're a business and any return of favour results in them challenging their own monopoly which they obviously do not want.
They're a business, they want money.
>>
>>59865254
And now that PowerShell development is open sourced, I will finally have it on my nix distro
>>
>>59865025
How are they losing hard but still growing at a very healthy clip? They are just doing what they do, and it looks like it may be working.
>>
>>59865635
>>Still can't draw a circle on linux
>t. brainlet
>>
File: 1448029848597.jpg (7KB, 240x237px) Image search: [Google]
1448029848597.jpg
7KB, 240x237px
>>59864571
>omg you're able to do what you've been able to do for the last 2 decades with cygwin and similar environments but shittier
oh wow, totally a gamechanger
>>
>>59864571
This is GNU/Windows
>>
>>59865150
Novell, Apple, OS/2 ring a bell? Shit they basically pimped DOS from IBM as well. And before you say Apple is still viable. They are as a media company their OS division is a side business and their PC division has been irrelevant since MS saved them in the 90's.
>>
>>59865141
That will only work if those developers migrate to Windows, and use Microsoft's tools, which will hardly work on Linux.
As long as those devs stay on Linux, there is no danger.
>>
>>59865658
cyug my dick
>>
>>59865658
Cygwin requires user-mode recreation of kernel functions that don't map well to Windows.

WSL implements system calls in the windows kernel. It will always be faster than Cygwin.
>>
>>59865595

What are you trying to accomplish? You only go that direction when there isn't a module/cmdlet that does most of the heavy lifting for you.
>>
>>59865757
speed isn't worth the botnet
>>
>>59865775
>cmdlet
When will they learn?
>>
>>59864571
This is the real reason ubuntu ditched unity, mir, and mobile. So they can better partner with windows and that massive market.
>>
>>59864571
Don't worry, OP... nobody on Win 10 is gonna use programs that look (and run!) like they're straight out of 1989.

You're 1337 club is safe from the normies.
>>
File: 1476864308953.jpg (57KB, 500x520px) Image search: [Google]
1476864308953.jpg
57KB, 500x520px
>>59864571
>>
>>59865813

Seems like you're the one that needs education.
>>
File: mfw.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mfw.png
1MB, 1280x720px
freecuck desktops are continuously getting btfo and its hilarious
>>
>>59866066
>>>/pol/

>>59866067
*whoosh*
>>
>>59866110
>t. nsa
>>
>>59866111
>implying that corporations don't shill here
You're fucking dumb if you think they don't. The OP is a clever shilling tactic.
>>
>>59864571
reeeeeeee
>>
>>59866067
>not recognizing the meme
>>
>>59866136
Well that's funny, I could swear the post said "k*ke", not "corporate".
>>
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as WSL, is in fact, GNU/NT, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus NT.
>>
File: 1491525426612.jpg (76KB, 620x734px) Image search: [Google]
1491525426612.jpg
76KB, 620x734px
>>59866279
>consoring
>being a faggot
Wow you're dumb, who do you think is running shit?
Pic semi related
>>
>>59866271

>caring about stupid memes
>>
>>59864738
Its a bit more interesting. I recall wine developers are not allowed to refer nice the leaked windows source in developing their compatibility layer.
>>
>>59864571
GNU/NT
>>
>>59866481
Those "aliens" immigrated legally though, most of them generations ago. And it's perfectly legal for you to start your own newspaper. If you think the voluntary association of private individuals is harming you, you're basically a Communist. You're not a Communist, are you?

>>59866849
>damage control
>>
>>59864571
>IT'S NOT FUCKING FAIR!!!

You realize what open source means, right?
>>
>>59864571
>i'm retarded and i've never used or heard of cygwin ever
>i'm retarded and didn't know that it's free as in freedom meaning microsoft has the ability to do whatever they want

Please cry more you autist.

Also are you really complaining because a company that's contributing to the lunix ecosystem and codebase allows you to run lunix in some subsystem in their system?

>What can we do about this

This is operating as intended, you can start showing concern when there's an actual problem.
>>
>>59865640
Well iirc they contribute to the kernel sometimes

More importantly they've been pushing linux a lot lately - at least dev wise. ASP Core is now 100% possible on linux. meaning any site willing to transfer over and new sites can be run on Linux servers including windows servers with this subsystem.

Also C# in general has better and more official support with this new .Net core thing they're doing which was described to me as more portable C# in that official core libraries are portable using the same DLLs. So like Mono had their own implementations of .net libraries, where as there is one implementation and it works on linux\windows\mac\...
>>
>>59864806

bra, VS code is open source so microsoft is literally stallman
>>
>>59864571
>ganoofaggots rag on BSDfags for having a cuck license
>Windows users now happily running native GANOO programs
Wew. You faggots got cucked hardcore.
>>
>>59864571
It is fair

Windows 10 users are cucked up the ass with hidden route to NSA and telemetry
>>
>>59864571
Wanting to use anything microsoft EVER
>>
>>59867334
They only make minor stuff open source. VS Code is just an editor, and can't do anything pre-existing open-source editors can't do. But their compilers, libraries, update packages? That's all still closed source. They have 100% control over those and we have no way of even knowing what's in them.
>>
>>59864571

>EEE Phase 1

don't take the cheese
>>
>>59864806
I'll be worried if microsoft buys the linux kernel off Linus
>>
>>59867428
I'd be worried too if they spent money on a free thing
>>
>>59867428
Linus doesn't do copyright assignment, so it's literally impossible to do this.

But given what they've done so far with WSL, it doesn't look like it's necessary.
>>
>>59865614
>In ten years Windows will be the better Linux.
good
linux has a lot of nice stuff on it, but overall it sucks
>>
>>59867633
this...it's cute and all, but it doesn't really feel like a complete operating system.
>>
>>59864571
>>59864806
If they make a better product, you have nothing to blame but yourself for continuing to make a shitty one.
>And before you call bullshit, they've already done this once. Look up Interix.
Remember that big Unix genocide that happened because of Interix? No? Neither does anyone else. Literally all they're doing is re-implementing something Windows has had for years, stop getting your freetard panties in a knot.
>>
>>59867183

>Damage control over not acknowledging a stupid meme in an unrelated discussion

Sure man :^)
>>
>>59864571
enjoy /mnt/c and having no netlink sockets
>>
>>59867334
Open source doesn't mean free software dumbass.
>>
>>59865551
eg. open source. Open source is literally letting another programmer cuck you, letting them develop your software with they're greasy unclean code, and you just sit by and watch while they do it.
>>
>>59867995
dude... it's an anonymous imageboard, you don't need to get the last word. you got wrecked, pick your pants up and move on.
>>
>>59864571
Say thanks to cuconical.
>>
>>59869059

>still responding
>>
>>59867322
>Well iirc they contribute to the kernel sometimes
Only to make Linux guests work better on Hyper-V hosts.
>>
>>59869006

>muh alpha programmer
>>
>>59864806
But linux is a piece of shit. WSL enables you to get rid of it while still supporting your legacy apps. Having the linux kernel finally dying in peace is the best outcome possible.
>>
>>59869769
>But linux is a piece of shit.

That's why literally every serious server, supercomputer and shit that's not a desktop for Office and Gayming runs Linux, sure.

Kek.
>>
>>59869806
Not him, but as a middle ground it has to be admitted that Linux is not a particularly good desktop OS. That's not to say that Windows or OSX is, but they don't have to be, they don't sell based on the quality of their operating system.

It was getting there about 5-10 years ago, but then all the developers went full retarded and started fucking with things for the sake of fucking with things rather than fixing the basic things.
>>
>>59869830
Well, that's an opinion. Anyway, the desktop market is tiny compared to the rest, and insignificant. This is a fact.
>>
>>59864571
>WHY does Microsoft get to reap the benefits of the *NIX ecosystem without open-sourcing their operating system?
Because their entire OS is built since the days of IBM's deal to absorb foreign userspaces without any major hiccups, while Wine dev fags are too afraid to touch kernel code.
>>59865640
>Microsoft returning a favour would be nice
They are gold member of the loonix foundation now.
>>
>>59869930
>while Wine dev fags are too afraid to touch kernel code.

Also, Microkernel > Monolithic kernel
>>
>>59869806
>linux server meme
HTTP servers is the most stupid simple type of services they are, you can make one out of anything, there are zero constraints beside keeping the costs down. We use linux for those for the same reason we hire pajeets to admin them. Hint: it's not because they're some kind of IT master race. On the enterprise end the linux offering is a joke, dragging everything else down. As a professional having to deal with this backwardness still to this day is a fucking pain. Hence WSL being a ray of sunshine in the oss swamp.
>>
>>59870182
We really need to take everything back down to zero. Have the business model be weighed down with 40 years of dependencies, but for the server and the home we need better solutions than what we have.
>>
>>59870182

Tell me the advantages of the Windows 2012 servers over Linux. We have hundreds of those (as opposed to some thousand of Linux) and I can tell you that they are stability hell with no clear advantage.
>>
>>59864571
is that what working persons desktop looks like?
>>
>>59864571
So there is no reason to use winapi calls anymore. Amazing
>>
>>59870233
Security, reliability, support cycle, everything that doesn't matter on the low end.
>>
>>59870339

And you are telling me that those are inherently better on, say, Windows 2012 than, for example, Red Hat ?

Yep, you are provably a moron. Godspeed, anon.
>>
>>59870349
>for example, Red Hat
It's literally the single existing linux enterprise offering, wtf else would you even think we could be talking about
>>
>>59864571
what font on the console? looks comfy as fuck
>>
>>59870405
> literaly the only one

https://www.canonical.com/services

Wow, you really seem to know what you are talking about.
>>
>>59870590
They share 2% of the market together with all the other non-redhat distros, the anemic support cycle being one the reason for that. Even cygwin is a more relevant platform.
>>
>>59870938
cool strawman bro
>>
>>59864571
At least vanilla GNU/Linux doesn't have bloated botnet.

And doesn't MS need to publish their sourcecode if they have Linux kernel inside winshit?
>>
>>59871055
WSL does not use any linux code.
>>
>>59867428
Even if Linus owned the kernel(he doesn't) it wouldn't matter anyway because previous versions of the kernel would still be GPLv2.
>>
>>59867421
Why is everyone naive enough to believe this is just the first phase? What is the whole Windows part that surrounds Linux if not extending it? They've brought Linux into the Windows ecosystem. Windows software will be able to run and interact with Linux software but not the other way around.
>>
>>59864571
>What can we do about this?
Why does this bother you?

Isn't the point of free software to be used by anyone freely? Microsoft is only adding features that people want.
>>
>>59864910
>Microsoft only has a monopoly in desktop operating systems
You're hilariously wrong.

Microsoft actually has the lion's share of the server market, too. The only reason this became a misconception was because morons like you didn't realize that those "surveys" were only measuring publicly-accessible servers, such as public-facing websites.

Linux has the vast majority of website hosting servers.

Linux server counts pale in comparison to servers both hard- and virtualized running applications like Active Directory, Exchange, SQL Server, and a myriad of applications that require a Windows Server for installation, such as all of the popular RMM and PSA tools.
>>
The bank I work at is entirely windows servers, except the financial core which is a rack of IBM AIX boxes.

The data center they live in with the equipment of many other companies as well, is all dell and cisco ucs servers, full of windows Vm's, spanning out in all directions as far as the sys can see. Every once in a while you see a few oracle boxes. I too seriously doubt the 'muh servers' linux meme, the data center scene would look very different if it were true.
>>
>>59864571
Jesus, this is literally nothing. Cygwin did pretty much the same thing almost two decades ago. I used it when I had to use a Windows machine, and many people did the same.

Microsoft is doing this because they know most universities requires you to use some form of Unix, and they don't want people to dual-boot because they are fucking afraid you will never come back.

Fuck you and fuck this bait thread. Sage.
>>
>>59873479

Sysadmin in a fortune 100 hosting and cloud provider. We have literally thousands of VMs and physical servers under our management.

I would say it's a big stretch if Windows systems get to even 25% of total.

You can buy into the meme or not, but it is what it is.
>>
>>59864571
I fucking love WSL.
>>
still no support for daemons

I want my crontab, FUCK
>>
>>59865658
cygwin fucking sucked and sucks.
used it for a decade, but boy it was always shitty.

a VM + shared folders any day over that piece of shit.
>>
>>59864571
windows had a deprecated but functional POSIX compatibility layer even with X11 for enterprise. he ubuntu flavor is just a reason why windows desktops should be relevant for developers or sysadmins that literally need to work with unix but can't bother to fuck around with cancerous virtualized desktop infrastructures or putty.

stop being such a nonsensical fucking faggot
>>
ok

I guess I am officialy stoked by all this

>updated to 16.04
>$ notepad.exe werks
>bash.exe -c "echo nigger" shortcut werks

now I can daemon my bash scripts using the tasks on windows 10

11/10
>>
>>59864571
This is just proof that Microsoft is superior to Linux.

Linux had literally 20 years to reimplement Windows APIs (Wine started in 1993), and they still haven't gotten it right. Meanwhile, Microsoft has managed to deprecate Linux in just a couple of years.

Really makes you think.
>>
>>59874460
not even trying -10/10
>>
File: file.png (74KB, 1136x460px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
74KB, 1136x460px
i am calling the Pajeets here

can you pls explain to me what the server section here means?

are they finally doing services properly? or just the same 'close the window and Linux is gone' approach?
>>
>>59864806
>Linux applications
linux has no apps
>>
The Windows kernel (NT) has always had native POSIX support, it was one of the original requirements when creating it.

And since POSIX is the baseline of UNIX, you shouldn't be surprised that NT can handle it. It just took Microsoft marketers 20 years to latch onto this idea to make it sell.
>>
https://github.com/Microsoft/BashOnWindows/issues/468

> os.networkinterfaces() has been broken for ages
> can't run my nodejs app because of this
> M$ wants to lure devs back to windows with this

Abort it.
>>
>>59874486
>everything that triggers me is bait
>>
File: win10lol.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
win10lol.webm
3MB, 852x480px
worth it
>>
File: IMG_0761.png (492KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0761.png
492KB, 800x800px
It's perfectly legal, dude. The GPL allows it.

>>59864747
Free software is inherently made to be embraced. If I can take GNU code and use it for my proprietary program as long as I follow the license I am totally fine. Microsoft can do the same
>>
>>59864571
I don't even understand how this works and I know you're a cuck.
>>
>>59867246
Underrated post
>>
>>59871699
>What is ntfs-3g
>What is Samba
>What is wine
>>
>>59876979
Kludgey makeshift half-solutions?
>>
>>59874460
So you never heard about patents. It's ok to be dumb here.
>>
>>59864571
>GNU/Linux programs are running natively on Windows.
It's made to run android and the compatibility is shit.
>>
>>59877207
>So you never heard about patents.
Patents are open documents, and they haven't stopped LAME.

>It's ok to be dumb here.
No, it isn't. Fuck off.
>>
>>59877264
Stay mad faggot.
>>
>>59877277
I'm not the one damage controlling.
>>
>>59877299
Ok sorry faggot
>not sorry
>>
>>59877299
implying your shitty b8 is better. Get a clue...
>>
>>59877316
Are you 13?

>>59877336
>everything that triggers me is bait
>>
>>59877351
Whoumst'd've are you quoting?
>>
>>59877361
Are you completely retarded?
>>
>>59877351
This is not me, what I meant was: you are a huge faggot
>>
>>59877499
Sorry was meant for this: >>59877361
>>
>>59877509
What does that even mean?
>>
>>59865390
It is amazing to not have to use Putty anymore tbqh
>>
>>59864571
Anybody wanna make a purely Linux version of the stuff in OP's pic from scratch?
>>
Imagine if Windows was capable of running Plan9, Open/FreeBSD, Macinotsh, Linux, and DOS/Win32/Metro applications.

We already have DosBox, and DosBox can run most DOS applications, including Windows 3.1. We just need a way to transparently run legacy Windows applications on Windows... Oh wait! Compatibility mode!

So, we really just need BSD and Macintosh binaries running on Windows. What more could we desire? We already have x86 binaries running on ARM.
>>
>>59874529
>Rust
godamnit this meme train never ends
>>
>>59864571
i'll stick with lindows
>>
>>59878496
We already have Windows binaries running on OSX via Parallels.
>>
>>59878449
what? it's all available on liniks
>>
>>59878804
Hoh? Which packages are they, specifically?
>>
>>59874750
Fixed in Creators Update. They've actually fixed a ton of problems with the initial release in Creators Update, actually.
>>
>>59878426
What's wrong with PuTTY?
>>
>Matthew 5:38-40
>38 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ 39 But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also. 40 And if anyone wants to sue you and take your shirt, hand over your coat as well.
>>
>>59881924
>tried that all the way up through high school
>got bullied every single year
Shoulda punched all those faggots out.
>>
>>59881949
>2 Corinthians 4:16-18
>16 Therefore we do not lose heart, but though our outer man is decaying, yet our inner man is being renewed day by day. 17 For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, 18 while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal.
>>
File: 8-inch-floppy.jpg (14KB, 430x319px) Image search: [Google]
8-inch-floppy.jpg
14KB, 430x319px
>>59869830
Do you work for Microsoft?
First off, Linux isn't an OS. Ubuntu is, and it's an incredibly good desktop OS.
>>
>>59878844
vim, cowsay, mc, htop, all running in tmux
mc is midnight commander, but the package is just mc
>>
>>59878757
> Parallels
We also can run Mac Programs through a virtualization software.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.