[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My AKG K701s have served me well for five years but today one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: LL.jpg (30KB, 500x405px) Image search: [Google]
LL.jpg
30KB, 500x405px
My AKG K701s have served me well for five years but today one of the wires disconnected causing loss of audio in the right speaker. It's a simple soldering job to fix it and I have temp fixed it with gaffer tape but I feel now is the time to invest in a second pair of decent open headphones. I listen mainly to rock, folk, electronic and classical. I already have an 02 amp and ODAC which I'm happy with.

I'm looking at the DT 990s (£110), K702 (£130) and Sennheiser HD650s (£250) but I am open to other suggestions under £250. Would be very grateful for any advice please.

>DT 990
Due to the comparatively low cost these appeal to me quite a bit but they have a somewhat mixed reception including accusations of "sounding weird". Is there any truth to this?

>K702
I am tempted as I love my K701s but the performance has always been a bit below par for heavier rock and bassy things - I would also quite like something different, although ideally retaining or exceeding the level of quality.

>HD650s
I've always wanted these fuckers but I just can't justify the price. They've been out for ages and never seem to go down in cost whereas Beyerdynamic, AKG and other hi fi headphones do. Are they really worth it when there are so many other good headphones for cheap right now?
>>
HD600.
>>
>>59860468
Why the HD600 over the HD650? The price is very slightly better (£230 compared to £250) but I was always under the impression the 650s were supposed to be slightly better?
>>
>>59860400
There is dedicated thread for headphones, but I will answer anyway.

>DT 990
I would say, don't. But if you really want to, find somewhere where you can listen to those. It's completely different experience, you are switching from bright headphones with superb soundstage to V-shaped ones with smaller soundstage. If that's what you are looking for then go for it.

>K702
Why not, but it's actually the same thing. I would rather resolder K701 than buy K702

>HD650
HD600 are objectively superior. They are much more neutral than K701, actually in soundstage K701 still wins but otherwise HD600/650 is an upgrade. If you really want to buy something new, then this is something I would recommend, but again, I would say stick to HD600.
>>
>>59860491
HD600 is more neutral. Considered the sweet spot for the mid-fi headphones and a solid all rounder choice. It's a meme headphone on /g/ but it can't be beat.
>>
>>59860468
>>59860506
>>59860541
Okay, thanks, I'm now very close to buying the 600s. Before I go ahead is there any reason to get 650s over the 600s and do both provide a very different sound to the K701s? I'd be disappointed if the different was marginal to be honest given the huge price difference.
>>
>>59860506
>superior to 650
>neutral
I'll pick the 650s then
>>
>>59860730
1) This guy isn't me (OP)
2) Pretty sure he meant the HD600 series is objectively superior to K701s, rather than HD600 objectively superior to 650s. Given the price difference that seems reasonable.
>>
>>59860679
I have the HD650s and I love them. Only pair of headphones you'll ever need.
>>
>>59860679
>Before I go ahead is there any reason to get 650s over the 600s
Personal preference. Majority of people like 600 more, but honestly you would have to try both and decide.

>I'd be disappointed if the different was marginal to be honest given the huge price difference.
This actually depends on a lot of factors. How good is your hearing, and how picky are you about headphones. Frankly k701 can pretty much be end game headphones for majority of people and at this price point the differences between headphones are much more marginal than between for instance your k701 and some shitty $50 phones. The higher you go with headphones, the lower the differences get.
But generally speaking HD600 and 650 do have different sound signature than k701, so there is objective difference in how they sound. I can't guarantee that you will like it more however. k701 are bright headphones with peaking highs, HD600 are purely neutral headphones that make the music sound the way it should sound.
At the end of the day headphones are very much dependent on preferences. There are some people who would pick beats over HD600 because for them distorted bloated lows of beats are enjoyable.
>>
I have AKG K712 Pro's and I enjoy them, they're a bit bassy compared to the K701's.

>HD650

I personally prefer the HD600 actually.
>>
Thanks very much for the advice guys, I have went ahead and bought the HD600s. I'll still fix my K701s anyway as an alternative to them but going by the glowing reviews I think I've made the right choice for my new pair.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.