[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel about Canonical no longer using Unity in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

How do you guys feel about Canonical no longer using Unity in 18.04 and beyond? Is it worth it to start using GNOME now? Or wait for it on the next release with the stuff Canonical will add to it?
>>
I'll miss the global menu and top bar merging. Funnily enough, GNOME + those features would make it the ideal DE for me. I like GNOME so I'm fine with the decision, honestly.

Hopefully Unity being killed will push people to make a more distro-agnostic fork of it/encourage a global menu extension for GNOME.
>>
>>59850851
are you me
>>
>>59850045
About time. Fuck Mir too, and Ubuntu Touch.

It is the best decision Canonical has made in years.
>>
>>59850851
There's an extension called pixel saver which merges the top bar for full screen windows
>>
>>59850897
Pixel Saver, Maximus, etc. don't work in GNOME 3.24, unfortunately. Those also depend on X so if you want to use Wayland (GNOME really does run much better under it) you're pretty much fucked.
>>
>>59850045
It's pretty much the only DE that works well with my multiple monitor setup.
>>
>>59850045
i feel bad about it, but unity 7 will still be supported for at-least another year so i'll keep using, and whatever happens with unity 8 doesn't bother me, as i'll be comfy moving over to kde / plasma or budgie by the next lts release.
>>
>>59850851
I hope for a global extension menu for GNOME too. Hopefully Canonical adds that when tweaking GNOME for us Ubuntu users.
>>
>>59850892
I agree wholeheartedly with this statement family member.
>>
>>59850984
Canonical will probably tweak GNOME to be more like Unity.
>>
>>59851384
And Unity built on top of GNOME will be objectively better. Compiz is fine but Unity is the only DE that had screentearing issues for me across multiple devices.
>>
>>59850045
Literally everything that Canonical tried to "innovate" with turned to shit. Unity, Mir, Upstart, Snap, everything.
>>
>>59851439
I think all they need to do is make some extensions and add some others and then do some tweaking, and then boom it's perfect.
>>59851471
Okay.
>>
>>59851471
Snap could still be good, who knows. Ubuntu has one of the most performant AMIs on the AWS marketplace, and their adoption rates are high for guests in general across all cloud platforms.
>>
>>59851565
What I was trying to say here was that the prevalence of Ubuntu on these platforms might drive adoption of snaps if it turns out to be a decent deployment method.
>>
>>59851565
Literally none of that matters for Canonical's bottom line, which is what you need for a sustainable business. Red Hat is making bank off of enterprise, while Canonical just had a round of layoffs.
>>
>>59850045
>>59771945

>>59850897
>>59850910
i know it's not what you really want but for the first time i found use of fullscrean while trying gnome
>>
>>59851645
Canonical can work themselves into the cloud support niche most likely, they are overall a better pick that RHEL and derivatives for that space right now.

Red Hat is propped up by physical servers which Ubuntu will likely never reclaim.
>>
>>59850045
unity was shit anyway
fuck canonical
fuck ubuntu and their amazon spyware
fuck shuttleworth
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.