[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is WiFi so much slower for web browsing than a wired connection,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: wifi_icon_shutterstock.jpg (48KB, 1200x794px) Image search: [Google]
wifi_icon_shutterstock.jpg
48KB, 1200x794px
Why is WiFi so much slower for web browsing than a wired connection, even when the numbers don't make sense?

I can bring my laptop a foot away from my 802.11n router, get maximum signal strength and it's still slower going than the desktop plugged into that same router. Plus my speed at the damn modem itself is half of what 802.11g could support, let alone n.

If the speed and signal are there, what the hell?
>>
if the router is high-end (for its time that is) then the bottleneck could be the wireless NIC in your laptop

I would suggest getting a wireless ac router and usb wifi dongle for your laptop to go with it
>>
>>59837031
Light speed has a limit anon.
>>
>>59837031
define "slower"

also, latency is a thing. Latency increases with interference. Since you are talking about g and n speeds, you are talking about 2.4GHz which has shitloads of interference. Also, G and N speeds like 54Mbit are "theoretical" speeds and not likely acheiveable in the real the world.

Like >>59837076 said, there could be some goofy thing going on between your NIC and the router, especially for an N connection. They put out N routers and NICs for several years, even though the N spec wasnt technically finalized. Several manufactures added some features(many of the proprietary) to drive sales, Dlink did a lot of this. Sometimes that can cause issues with certain hardware combinations.
>>
>>59837076
>>59837160
Huh, that would actually make a lot of sense. I'll go get some new hardware to test it out.

Thanks /g/uys.
>>
Recommend me a dual bonded vdsl2 modem+router
>>
Because they run in half duplex
>>
>>59837378

^this

Not only that but a wi-fi ap is a single collision domain.
>>
>>59837031
electricity > waves
and
waves > electricity
really hinders performance when you're using wireless.
Just use wire goddamnit
>>
>>59837031
Set up you network card/router for 802.11n(up to 600 Mbit/s), default is 802.11g (54 Mbps).
On wired you get as much as your card will allow and ISP.
>>
It's also possible that your wifi-router's QoS is set to prioritize LAN over WLAN by default. Try setting the WLAN DSCP to lower or 48.

Bottlenecks may also be your laptop's hardware or the router's hardware specs and firmware. Be sure to identify them.

Even you can be the culprit. If you're fatass then you'll block the wifi.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.