[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's have an appreciation thread for the only free and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: red fedora.jpg (62KB, 360x396px) Image search: [Google]
red fedora.jpg
62KB, 360x396px
Let's have an appreciation thread for the only free and open OS company with revenue in the billions of dollars. A company which has given us standard Linux technologies like SystemD, Wayland and Gnome.
>>
>Redhat
>Revenue US$2.4 billion (2016)
>>
>Canonical
>Revenue US$65.7 million (2013)
>>
>>59828232
How do they make so much from open source?
>>
>>59828265
Support, being reliable & secure, having good tools, making good tools, being an industry leader, et cetera, et cetera
>>
>>59828265
Mostly the first one. Red Hat's documentation and tech writing is second to fucking none - it's what all FOSS docs should strive to be.

I've never had to engage their support for anything, but I've heard good things.
>>
>>59828290
a billion from that? better start my own company if it's that easy
>>
>>59828232
Not an argument
>>
>>59828265
Pretty much all enterprise servers that run linux run RHEL and they usually buy support. Probably some package from HP.
>>
>>59828333
Was it meant to be an argument? kys
>>
>>59828326
>he thinks support is like poojet call support
>>
>>59828232
They're alright.
But RHEL 7 is a shitshow. Especially if you rely on perl.
>>
>>59828401
I'm on a RHEL7 box right now. What exactly is a shitshow about it?
>>
>>59828426
Lots of small details, but the perl issue is the biggest one for me.
They remove a lot of useful perl modules from official repos (that used to be there on RHEL 6) and you have to install them from EPEL or CPAN.
The packages from EPEL are patched or something to work on RHEL because they sure as fuck fail to install from CPAN.
It's not an insurmountable barrier, but it made installing perl-dependent software a hassle.
>>
>>59828530
It's a sign to stop using Perl. Stop now.
>>
>>59828551
1, perl is okay-ish
2, it's not my choice anyway
>>
>>59828426
proof btw
>>
>>59828605
>i5 100 degrees

lol
>>
Infested with deep state controlled assets. fucking cia / nasa niggers stay away from my gentoo
>>
File: praisethalorda.gif (452KB, 200x153px) Image search: [Google]
praisethalorda.gif
452KB, 200x153px
>>59828764
>>
>>59828764
>>
>>59828870
Nice picture. You should lurk more, CIA nigger
>>
>>59828232
I like Gentoo more than any other but I respect Red Hat even more than Gentoo, if only slightly.
Based. Fucking. Red Hat.
>>
>>59828232
>>59828244
>>59828265
>>59828290
>>59828311

>shill detected
Red Hat support is shit. I've had RHEL support in the past and it has always been shit. They couldn't even solve a problem with Samba; the solution (which I found on my own) was to upgrade the fucking package, not dick around with the configuration.

Fuck you Red Hat.
>>
>>59829400
>one bad experience invalidates everyone else's

What are you, twelve?
>>
>>59828232
>let's appreciate the company responsible for the abomination known as systemd
I'll pass.
>>
>>59828401
>>59828530
>>59828576
This. I have lost count on the number of times something in Perl broke because their packaging for perl is crap.

Every. Fucking. TIME. Without fail, amavisd would break. No, I don't get a choice in the matter, I have to run it. No, you don't get a fucking say in this either.

Red Hat, fix your retardedly broken shit before you shill our forums. Once you have your QA under control, we'll talk.
>>
>>59828265
Contracts with US government.
>>
File: 1394541325606.jpg (34KB, 388x384px) Image search: [Google]
1394541325606.jpg
34KB, 388x384px
>>59828901
I'm sure you'll point to a line number in the open source code where the botnet backdoor exists. Because you're totally not talking out your ass or anything, right?

By the way, making fun of a man with schizophrenia looks pretty bad.
>>
>>59829423
You seem to think this was a one time experience.
It has been a consistent fucking experience, without fail. There has:

NEVER been a smooth upgrade.
NEVER been an instance where something didn't break in perl -> all things needing pearl break.
NEVER been support that has worked.

No, I'm not twelve, I'm just a frustrated IT worker that's probably old enough to be your father.
>>
>>59829432
>Using OS packages for an interpreted language which has its own package manager

You don't install Ruby, Python, etc packages from repos, you don't do it with perl either. You use gem, pip, or cpan.
>>
>And people say there are no Red Hat shills on this board.
>>
>>59829464
Meanwhile, at work, I've got about a 50/50 split between Ubuntu and RHEL machines, and never had a problem. About 2K VMs and a couple hundred more hardware.

Sounds like your environment sucks desu sempai~
>>
File: 1395835169201.jpg (119KB, 399x477px) Image search: [Google]
1395835169201.jpg
119KB, 399x477px
>>59829471
>people who like a product they work with every goddamn day and talk about how they like it are necessarily paid shills
>anything positive said about a product is bullshit
>anything negative said about a product is to be taken at face value
>>
>>59829468
>You don't install Ruby, Python, etc packages from repos, you don't do it with perl either. You use gem, pip, or cpan.
Yes, those work. Yes, this SHOULD be how it is done. NO, the base install does NOT do this. YES, the base installer will do retarded things that will fuck up your libraries.

Please go back, and explain to me how this isn't a QA issue. No matter how you cut it, SHIT SHOULD NOT BREAK OUT OF THE BOX. And yet it keeps happening.
>>
>>59829485
RHEL 5 is what I was running, before we dumped it like the shitpile it was.
>>
>>59829540
How long ago was this? RHEL5 is fucking ancient.
>>
>>59829506
I have a simple question: what do you have to compare it against?

I mean, if you are living in squalor, but have never seen what it is to live otherwise, then how do you know you are wallowing in filth?

How does Red Hat stack up against other Linux distros? Against FreeBSD? Against Windows Server? Against other environments that are deployed in businesses for production?

I'm not trying to be a complete ass about this, I'm just trying to gauge what your experiences are, and how you arrived at that judgement.

My own experiences have been uniformly negative. Maybe that will change, but for now, I don't have the luxury of finding out in a work environment.
>>
>>59829599
>How long ago was this? RHEL5 is fucking ancient.
Doesn't matter now.

That's the problem. You discount the impact of negative experiences. When someone buys a product, and they uniformly have problems to the point where they regret the purchase, then do you think they'll ever want to come back? Do you think they'll want to plunk down more money for support when it clearly wasn't supported properly?

I get that we are now at 7.x and "things are different", but really, what has changed? What is different this time?

For the record, there are a few CentOS 7.x servers in production but I'm keen on getting off of that and into something thinner. Yes, CentOS 7.x is not Red Hat 7.x. No, I don't care, because CentOS 7.x is supposed to be the FOSS version of Red Hat (sans trademark/copyright/other baloney). It should be fairly apples to apples, even if one is a Fuji and one is a Granny Smith.
>>
>>59829468
>You don't install Ruby, Python, etc packages from repos, you don't do it with perl either. You use gem, pip, or cpan.
Debian sysadmin here. CPAN doesn't work. When it does, installing a simple module pulls the fucking planet as a dependancy (fuck you Module::Build). Fortunately, the official Debian repos are filled with quality Perl module you can install right away. Also, CPAN doesn't install modules system-wide, .debs do.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.