[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>study computer science thinking I will have a cool and interesting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 143
Thread images: 12

>study computer science thinking I will have a cool and interesting career
>first job is maintaining messy Java code written by Pajeets

Who else fell for the CS meme?
>>
>>59827366
people with CS degrees are supposed to make new companies, silly
>>
>>59827366
shouldn't have put java on your resume
>>
>>59827366
>>study computer science thinking I will have a cool and interesting career
>>first job is maintaining messy Java code written by Pajeets
>Who else fell for the CS meme?
Welcome to Microsoft
>>
>>59827366
Could be worse. It could have been comment-free documentation-less assembly written by a super annuated EE.
>>
File: devilish.jpg (43KB, 396x482px) Image search: [Google]
devilish.jpg
43KB, 396x482px
>>59829083
Literally me.
>>
>>59827366

You should have been learning something you love in the meantime. Your college/uni hooks you up with Java because they know everyone can get a code monkey that way, but if you're passionate you need to fill in the gaps yourself.
>>
>>59829315
Like? What other jobs do you suggest people get with a CS degree?
>>
>>59829332

webdev with your favourite meme framework
>>
>>59827366
>tell your boss he sucks dick
>POO IN LOO
>delte system32
>install gentoo
>emerge emacs
>emerge tmux
>?????
POOO LOOOO
>>
>>59827366
On the bright side when their H1Bs run out you'll have positions open
>>
>>59829383
The whole stream of consciousness method of writing doesn't really work for shitposting.
>>
>>59827484
No, that's for business majors. Nothing in the CS curriculum trains you to be able to manage a company.
>>
I tought myself programming so no :')
>>
>>59827366
>first year in CS
>hopes and dreams
>UML and applying OO patterns in Java
>loose interest and drop out
worst decision of my life
>>
>>59830155
Explain? Im in CS as a freshman and am debating dropping out
>>
>pretty decent at programming, can use multiple languages
>really want to get a haskell job
>know there probably won't be any
>will probably end up using some boring language doing codemonkey shit
>>
>>59829662
Not true. My curriculum was the shit.
>>
>>59830189
i think i might not have expressed myself well. what i ment was that doing CS in the first place was a terrible decision.
>>
I'm taking Computer Network Engineering starting September, I intend on getting a CCNA whilst i'm at university taking the course. Is there anything wrong wth what I intend on doing?
>>
File: mfw university blocks me.jpg (135KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
mfw university blocks me.jpg
135KB, 1200x630px
>drop out of university because repeating college algebra burnt out. cant get CS major because prereq
>check out online college
>get cert for systems analyst.
>actually get same classes as major except no prereq and much faster
>do pretty good and learn actual skill basics
>publish shitty google play apps
>make $200 in 5 months.

now i just need to spend money on promoters to make $1000.

thinknig about going back to get another cert but for programming so it can be second nature. I liked my SQL classes.
>>
>>59830217
CS is really the only thing I have ever enjoyed doing, but it's the forced curriculum that's killing me. 9 months of work to show that I can solve a calculus 3 problem just isn't cutting it for me and has took a huge hit on my motivation.

What did you do after dropping out? What did your parents say?
>>
>>59830264
>$200 in 5 months

If you consider this income, I'm sorry.
>>
>>59830288
better than graduating with a bachelors like OP and going nowhere.
Shit, i just fucking did what business men do.
>>
>>59830264
Definatly take the time to learn SQL and some other server side language. It can really take your applications to the next level (maybe add in some social element) and looks good when applying for positions.
>>
>>59830287
get a cert in programming and build up a portfolio to get an entrance job.
math can be googled. Its not your field anyway. you just have to translate the equations that are given to code.
>>
>>59830332
im like 29 year old. is it too late to go back?

i know that if i enroll into the courses, ill be retaking the same classes i did to get the SA cert.
but i definately want more programming classes.
>>
>>59830264
200 dollars in five months? How the fuck, are you living with your parents or what?

Minimum wage in my state earns close to 20 thousand a year. Your earnings would net a whopping 480 dollars a year.
>>
>>59830213

Then it must have been lacking in other important areas of computer science.
>>
>>59830397
Not at all, if anything it added to thr weight of the program.

Seriously anon, not all CS programs are meme like /g/ would want to believe.
>>
>>59830379
No need to go back imo. Too many places to learn it yourself for free to do that.

SQL isn't hard, neither is PHP. If you learn those on your own time, you could also get into the Wordpress game, which is absolutely massive.
>>
>>59830352
Is the degree worth it then? Should I stick through the program or just dropout?
>>
>>59830394
i need online promotion more. looking for marketing companies to do it for me.

my downloads for the free versions are nearing 8,000. got 30 reviews on one of them. nothing below 3.5 rating.
>>
>>59830445
That didn't answer my question.

How can you be living on 40 dollars a month?
>>
>>59830432
really depends on the person.
bachelors looks good on resume. but if you can really boost up your portfolio, it shows experience.

remember, there are no exact rules here. There are people that started websites 5 years ago and now are killing it with ad revenue.
Then there are some people who go the traditional route and get a degree and job.

If you have an idea thats thought out well you can capitalize on. Look into it more and learn how to do it yourself.
>>
>>59830492
rich parents.
>>
>>59830513
Oh, the classic, "degrees are a meme but I also have had no financial burdens so I can make thay call" poster
>>
File: 1484196093424.png (168KB, 727x682px) Image search: [Google]
1484196093424.png
168KB, 727x682px
>>59827366
>study computer science thinking I will have a job
>no job
>>
>>59830527
on the contrary, CS is not like medical practice where you need to rent lab equipment and need patients and oversight. You're going $100,000 deep into a competition with other people.
all you need is a computer and internet. everyone can get that for cheap. Anything groundbreaking will be patented by corporations anyway, so you either have to be an intern working for free in research or in there to begin with.
>>
>>59830555
Start working on some project that interests you.
That will set you apart from all the other cs-graduates, thus giving you an advantage when looking for a job
>>
File: 1491726993923.png (26KB, 396x400px) Image search: [Google]
1491726993923.png
26KB, 396x400px
>>59830620
no projects interest me
>>
>>59830603
Yeah, if you need a degree to get hired you're either shit or don't have connections.
Which means you've never done any useful programming in your life.
>>
>>59830637
I know that feeling. But what kind of job are you looking for anyway?
I'm considering starting some shitty platform/arcade game for my phone. Not to make the next killer-app, but simply to make _something_
>>
>>59830264
>make $200 in 5 months.
Wtf I hate college now!
>>
>>59830325
except bussiness men aren't completely destitute
>>
>>59830603
where did you get your cert from?
>>
Is CE better than CS?
>>
>>59830603
>100000 dollars deep
What?

I spend 700 dollars a month for school with four months of the year being free.
>>
>>59830797
>spend
lmao
>>
>>59827366
>fell for the school meme

if you were not working on personal projects before you even submitted your application to the school, you were doomed from the start.

>>59829332
if you have to ask, you're fucked

do your own damn research

90% of CS is being self-motivated
>>
>>59830812
What?
>>
I just dropped out of HS and hopped on the online freelancing meme doing web development and system administrator
Couldn't be happier desu, college is for suckers
>>
>>59830818
i didn't spend anything for my undergraduate degree, and i'm not spending anything for my graduate degree
>>
>>59830856
That's cool, I work 3 months out of the year and pay for school with ease.
>>
>>59830856
Gj snowflake
>>
>>59830766
check out online colleges and extension programs.
>>
>>59830841
you wouldnt happen to be based near illinois would you?
>>
>>59830904
I live in istanbul, turkey
I once got a freelancing offer to come to illinois tho
>>
>tfw I passed up an opportunity to go to med school to study CS because I enjoyed writing stupid shitty programs in terrible C++ in high school
>3 years in I fucking hate everything
>>
>>59830935
how do you get clients? in general for anything online?
>>
>>59830814
I mean, I expect my first job will be a codemonkey job. I'm not creative enough to come up with original ideas, really.

I just remember some anon saying in another thread that if you get a CS degree and get a job writing any code then you've fucked up.

That makes no sense to me. What are the alternatives?
>>
>>59827366
>first job
Lucky you even got a job. CS is so saturated with juniors looking for jobs I'm competing against people with masters degrees for QA positions.
>>
>>59830977
used to use odesk but it turned into shit, freelancer.com, guru and peopleperhour for now
>>
>>59830967
if you got the grades, memory and will power, never pass up med school.
i have or had a chance to do it all but my grades are shit and i dont feel like taking all those classes just to take a fucking exam and compete with others at an interview to be accepted to a med college.
>>
>>59830989
>if you get a CS degree and get a job writing any code then you've fucked up.
that's fucking retarded

they probably mean project managers, which you cannot get without years of working with a team.
>>
>>59830872
>snowflake
nah, most people in my department is like this.
you should just be smarter
>>
>>59831032
>tfw a job advertised as an entry level position required FIFTEEN years of experience in the field
>it was just for a java programmer
>>
>>59831065
it takes 15 years of work for a pajeet to learn a basic skill like scripting
>>
Thats why system administration is more responsible and fun job than full time programming.
>>
>>59831012
>if you got the grades, memory and will power, never pass up med school.
well shoulda woulda...

In my country the most important part for med school is the high school diploma, which was very good but as soon as you get a secondary degree (did my bachelor's last year) you're basically out of competition forever.

I could still apply for veterinary medicine or pharmacy though. But then I rather pick codemonkeying.

I'm not sure if I made a huge mistake by that. I kept telling myself I hate the sight of blood (which isn't true) and the sight of excrements (which *is* true) and that I hate people in general (which is also true but maybe this kind of cynicism would've helped coping with death).
But well there's no use in mourning over opportunities not taken because it's literally too late...
>>
>>59831109
>most important part for med school is the high school diploma
Wat
>>
>>59831109
some people make their money by playing blackjack regularly.
some people make their money doing construction
some people make their money selling clothes or fashion
some people get their money being a doctor
some people get their money killing other people

many ways to get it. choose one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkiQeAOcJQw
>>
>>59831164
Germany. To get into med school you either need to
>have good high school GPA (basically 4.0 or 3.9 in "American")
>or have a regular high school GPA + x years of experience as paramedic (every year will increase your virtual GPA by 0.2 I think)
>or score extremely good score in a medicine test
>>
>>59831199
shit.

i shouldve conviced my parents to send me to germany and redo everything.
>>
>>59831199
That's all sorts of retarded. Why would getting good marks in algebra and English make you a good doctor?
>>
>>59830235
I've got 2 semesters of Cisco left. The curriculum is pretty nice but the material is difficult especially if you have no networking knowledge prior. All the books are online and you get practice tests with feedback etc.
>>
>>59831214
german high school isn't like american high school
>>
>>59831214
Well 2 reasons. 1 You proved you can remember stuff well. You need to remember lots of stuff in med school.
2 Med schools are all public schools and there are much more applicants than available spots. So you need some kind of criteria to filter out garbage. It's true that you need lots of willpower as a doctor. And memorizing 80 pages of literature for a test can also prove that.
But as I said there are other ways like showing work experience as a paramedic.
>>
>>59831214
It makes you smart, making you a good doctor.
>>
>>59831255
Also if all you want to do is Networking you don't really need to go to Uni. I started going to Uni for IT (I still wanted to do networking) so I could have a degree along with my CCNA but the curriculum only had like 1 or 2 networking classes and like 3 programming classes. For fucking IT, I dropped that and don't regret it.
>>
>>59831287
>>59831300
Perhaps it's criteria like that that makes the average doctor very average at their job.

Believe me, anon, being smart does not make you a good dcotor. It just makes you smart.

t.asthma fag that was having a collapsed lung diagnosed as pneumonia for several years
>>
>>59831331
>Perhaps it's criteria like that that makes the average doctor very average at their job.
It's not perfect but I also can't think of something better.

Doctors arent't miracle workers and some might even be retarded or just became doctors because their parents wanted them to or because they felt obliged because of their GPA. I actually know someone who dropped out of med school after 2 semesters.

It sucks for your situation but well... I guess there aren't enough people who are "truly" enthusiastic about being a doctor and actually having the wits of being one.
Some people do it for the fame, some do it for the title, some do it because they genuinely want to help people but they're overly sensitive or too retarded to see edge cases.

Same with programmers (even more so though). When I went to start studying CS all enthusiastically I thought everyone was a pro already but alas, it was different. Some people were pros and genuinely knew what they were doing. They know the intricaties of a computer and why stuff happens. But then there's a large portion who are just average or who just wanted to jump on the bandwagon. They write mediocre code and sometimes have no idea why stuff is happening.
>>
File: 1476757911907.png (29KB, 741x568px) Image search: [Google]
1476757911907.png
29KB, 741x568px
I've been wondering for months what actually comes after getting the degree

So what do you do on an average day??
>>
>>59831476
Shitpost on 4chan
Do some codemonkey stuff
>>
>>59831476
ن>>59831476
>>
>>59831476
wake up, apply for 1-3 positions. play video games. go to bed
>>
File: 1490491001323.jpg (41KB, 641x530px) Image search: [Google]
1490491001323.jpg
41KB, 641x530px
>>59831476
Feel like shit while prepping for interviews.
>>
>>59831513
At least you're getting interviews my man. If you fail one it's not the end of the world.
>>
>>59831498
>>59831513
Jesus

Why is it so hard out here? We're supposed to be booming

Should I start specializing in data science track in CS even though statistics pisses me off
>>
>>59831644
Just get an internship and hope to god that they hire you after you graduate. If you can do that you're completely golden.
>>
>>59827366
Welcome to hell, you new?
>>
>>59830792
CE is a better background if you ever want to make efficient software. If you'd rather stick to webdev or some high level other crap you might as well go CS. Not that you can't learn low level stuff on your own, but same goes for anything.
>>
>I thought the university would teach me something practical
>I turned out to be a low-energy ""coder"" and honestly don't know what to do next
>>
>study electrical engineering
>go to career fair
>the hardware line has literally 120 Pajeets in it
>the software line is completely and utterly fucking empty

And that's how I became a software engineer.
>>
>>59831476
At work? Write c code for a slightly out of date arm6 microcontroller (it's very modern by commercial standards, but the cross compile tools are so much friendlier for arm7). We've finally moved to git+openstack+docker so I do some configs or repo MGMT steps there to keep the automated build and test god happy. Occasionally I meet with customers to flesh out requirements, and work with other developers to make sure they understand what they're supposed to be doing. Mostly though, I write c. comfy
>>
>>59831909
>>I thought the university would teach me something practical
University doesn't give vocational training unless it's for law or medicine. Arts degrees are just a form of child-minding.
>>
>>59831803
>CE is a better background if you ever want to make efficient software

hardly... performance comes from the data structures and efficiency comes from the algorithms you use. Most CE majors are never required to take a class on either of those things, whereas the last 3 years of your CS degree will be focused on them. Knowing all the hottest bit shift techniques is not going to make your software more efficient.

That said, if you want to be very marketable and learn about embedded systems then you should be a CE. However, that is extremely competitive and probably a poor choice for most people on 4chan.
>>
>>59831909
I am at the end of my degree I barely even enjoy programming anymore. Think I'd rather dig ditches than fix some leaky abstraction in java
>>
>>59830155
UML is what's making me prompt to give up on the course atm
>>
im taking an infosec major, pretty interesting stuff and i think infosec jobs will be easy to get
>>
>>59832811
whats so difficult about UML?
>>
>>59834574
Tedious, boring, and pointless
>>
>>59827366
It's only a meme if you think you'll get a job with just the degree.
>github
>unpaid intern
>more than one language
>portfolio page
>>
>>59835031
>github
Actual meme.
>unpaid intern
>unpaid
>>
>>59835171
>unpaid intern
Thats the only thing im actually worried about. unpaid is a meme if i ever saw one. Is it actually a thing?
>>
>>59830288
NEETs can make their parents feel proud!
>>
>>59835250
>>59835171
How else will you get experience without pumping out shit on your own.
>>
>>59835324
It should be a paid internship.
>>
>>59829383
>tfw my boss literally install gentoo on his new workstation

not sure how i feel about this meme now that I'm living in it
>>
>>59835415
I meant something more like, take all you can get, don't set the bar high for 80k
>>
>>59827366
That's part of the job. And don't you get some satisfaction from leaving the code better than you found it?
>>
>>59829083
Oh boy thats me eventually. How should i prepare my anus?
>>
>>59830989
How do you complete with pajeets working for $2 an hour?
>>
>>59827366
Not me I have a passion for technology Since i was a 5 year old but I became a primary school teacher instead
>feels good not being a pajeets slave
>>
>>59827366
>study computer science thinking I will have a cool and interesting career
> can't get a job
> an heroing tomorrow
>>
>>59831035
XD
>>
>>59831476
suicidal thoughts
>>
File: Screenshot_20170325-023732.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170325-023732.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>not studying based theoretical physics
>>
oh boy did i fall for the meme

>computer engineering
>kicked out of good university after having to spin my wheels in liberal arts bullshit classes
>transfer before 5th year
>still in sophomore level classes
>EE prof convinces me to TA, promises internship
>no pay, job sucks
>"oh we arent prepared for interns yet. you can TA for me again next semester"
>no skills
>thinking about applying to mcdonalds

cant wait to drop out and work in food service!
>>
>>59836678
Comes with theoretical paycheck.
>>
>>59829083
>implying this wouldn't be more interesting than pajeet's java
>>
>>59829083
Dream come true.
Asm is so easy to grasp. You can easily compile it to higher level constructs if you like too.
>>
>>59827366
you should educated yourself more then.
Go back to school and get a master degree in CS, then you are never going to work for anything but yourself.
>>
>>59830155
No one in the real world uses UML anymore. Patterns are also a meme
>>
File: IMG_0025.jpg (25KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0025.jpg
25KB, 236x236px
>>59827366
WE ALL DID!!!!
>>
I got an internship doing Sys Admin at a big luxury hotel chain in my country, while I'm still on my 2nd year of CE. Thanks to this internship I'm starting to see that I hate programming and all I want to do is this kind of IT work. Man I really will be miserable if every day I must come into work and shut down my brain while writing code
>>
>>59827366
>cs grad
>hate coding
>all of the meme
>>
>>59840007
>shut down my brain while writing code

Is this really what it's like? Every programming book I've had to read for class so far makes programming out to be a problem solving endeavor.
>>
>>59840079

It depends.
>>
>>59840079
depends.
if you're making a graphics engine, yes.
if you're making a website, it's basically copy pasta.
>>
>>59830264
Maybe if you passed college algebra you'd realize $200 in 5 months is fucking terrible. You could make more money begging on the side of a street.
>>
I want do drop CS and study sociology in university while studying computers and math by myself. Will i regret if i do that? Is it possible to learn stem independently? Problem: i live in 3rd world country. If this plan fails (my job won't be IT), my salary will be 200-500$
>>
>>59829380
He asked for a job.
Not eternal torture.
>>
File: 6nyrg06ddoqy.png (739KB, 750x679px) Image search: [Google]
6nyrg06ddoqy.png
739KB, 750x679px
>work webdev
>maintain and add shit to trash code
>colleague worked as programmer for 30 years and STILL writes bad code
>quit and go to uni
>drop out because math was too hard
and im back
>>
>>59840093
>if you're making a website, it's basically copy pasta.
what
webdev is awful for plenty of reasons, but its not copy paste
>>
>>59830264
Bro I make 200 a weekend sitting in a fucking museum just managing it 9 hours a day with a lot of relaxtime.

And I'm still in college after I dropped out of uni lel.

And I thought I dun goofed..
>>
>>59831313
I'd like to learn some programming and electrical engineering too, in the UK it really is in your benefit to have a degree so i'm going to go and have a laugh. I know i'll never repay that 70k
>>
File: 7655167.jpg.png (543KB, 2656x3192px) Image search: [Google]
7655167.jpg.png
543KB, 2656x3192px
I'm on the verge of a breakdown with the cunts on my course. They are a bunch of normals who hate computers and are only here because they heard it was an easy pay check. All they talk about all day is their normie antics and ocasionaly bitch about lecturers being nerds. My only hope is they all drop out but my uni holds your hand so fucking much it's basically impossible to fail out of incompetence.

not a single one of them has used linux. I'm not expecting them to be gnu meme spouting Stalmanites or anything but c'mon to fuck they've never even tried it.

And of course they all want to be pals with me for the 5 minuets that they need something. I can't tell if they think they are being subtle or if they just think I'm so lonely they don't need to try. Either way I tell them to get lost, I used to try and be polite and make excuses but I'm beyond the point of giving a fuck what they think about me any more.

the worst thing is there's a couple of people who are actually interested in computers and I would like to hang out with but they have fallen for the meme and are friends with the cunts. so I just leave them all to it and await the day I never have to see them again.
>>
>>59840474
This was my experience as a late 20 year old doing a music production degree with a bunch of mummy funded x-factor hyped barbies who didn't know a microphone from a tampon, and likely used them interchangeably. I weep for you anon.
>>
>>59840474

what uni senpai
>>
>>59830155
>giving up at the first sign of something uninteresting in a field with limitless options for specialization

WEW
>>
>>59830397
>implying you can learn everything you need to know in order to run a business and learn all the fundamentals of computer science in a 4 year university program
>>
>>59830155
>First year
>oo and uml
Shit university desu
Thread posts: 143
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.