[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could one live with *BSD on a daily basis? Install some minimalistic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Openbsd37withjwm.png (477KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Openbsd37withjwm.png
477KB, 1024x768px
Could one live with *BSD on a daily basis?

Install some minimalistic WM/DE, implying don't want to spend the rest of my life with maintaining this setup.
>>
>>59825815
Why are all the BSD mascots so cringey?
At least tux is cute
>>
>>59825830
Read the BSD license. It could be the definition of idealist anarchism.
>>
Most people I've spoken to who use a BSD have it as their host OS, but then run a VM of Linux or Windows on top of it. I don't think the OS itself is meant for desktop/workstation usage at all.
>>
How does one even install openbsd
>>
>>59825881
The install process is perhaps easier than most GNU+Linux distributions, boots us into an (i)nstall or (u)pdate script, choose [default] options if you're too stupid to read a manual, boom, done in 10 minutes. Getting it to work like your pussy machines isn't too hard, just have to contend with no ricing guides made specially for you.

OpenBSD wouldn't work as a daily driver for most of /g/, but if you're okay with chromium, a nice text editor and pretty much the same core and development utilities you get with Unix/GNU+Linux it could work. Pkg management is really easy. Free|NetBSD is probably more suited for users, but I've never tried them. FreeBSD guys seem to enjoy themselves.
>>
>>59825881
There are 12 locations all over the world with floppy disk dispensers hidden in remote areas. Once you travel around the world and collect them all, you can begin the installation procedure. This is the only way.
>>
>>59825871
>I don't think the OS itself is meant for desktop/workstation usage at all.

FreeBSD is usable as a desktop, as long as you don't mind maintaining your system more than you use it. But there's no point in doing that.
>>
>>59825871
I've seen the opposite.
My boss likes FreeBSD, but Linux has better hardware support, so our web servers run Ubuntu as the hypervisor with BSD guests.
>>
>>59825815
lets be honest here the baton could be a dildo... and when was the last time you have seen a legit cop in such tight uniform?

im openly implying that BSD community is kinda gay and likes it up the butt
>>
>>59825815
Cringe
>>
>>59826132
This is the opposite of shocking and surprising.
>>
Does it even have the support for that?
>>
>>59825815
you mean the OS the NSA had a backdoor in?

no thanks
>>
>>59826040
>OpenBSD wouldn't work as a daily driver for most of /g/
Chromium and X. What the fuck else do NEETfags on /g/ need?
>>
>>59827524
most people on /g/ are neo-/v/, so limited gaming support would really rustle their timmies.
>>
>>59827623
It's called a Wii-U and PS4. The only worthwhile games right now are Nier: Automata and BOTW.
>>
>>59825815
I gladly would, only thing holding me back is Opera 12.16. Once I either get 12.15 compiled on OpenBSD or it simply becomes no longer usable I'll switch to OpenBSD fulltime. I currently run it on my laptops and OS X on my desktop.
>>
>>59827466
epik FUD
>>
>>59825830
qft

I can live with the FreeBSD devil but OpenBSD takes it a high school fedora doodle cringe level.
>>
File: ppuf1000X907.gif (422KB, 1000x907px) Image search: [Google]
ppuf1000X907.gif
422KB, 1000x907px
>>59829105
The daemon's a generic BSD mascot, the orb is FreeBSD's. And then there's Puffy, the best mascot
>>
>>59829339
>And then there's Puffy, the best mascot

a smug little faggot just like the rest of openbsd users
>>
>>59829384
His smugness is what makes him so great
>>
>>59829393
I know it's by design, I just don't like it because it's arrogant
>>
>>59827524
A kernel without a biglock for good performance on their multicore computers.
>>
>>59829384
>a smug little faggot just like the rest of openbsd users
you're only butthurt because theo has spit-roasted stallman during arguments on mailing lists.
>>
>>59827524
A pretty player for their animus
>>
>>59825815
Slackware is better, and always been, use it
>>
> Could one live with *BSD on a daily basis
I guess. I installed TrueOS one month ago, which is basically freebsd with
some shit pre-installed ( application for ZFS management and LuminaDE)
and I'm kinda happy with it.

ZFS is really cool btw
>>
>>59833013
Forgot to mention, it didn't need any maintenance and i don't dual boot on my x220
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.