[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think future hipsters will bring VHS back when VCRs and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 7

File: NEEarGKHMuFDIJ_2_b.jpg (30KB, 600x316px) Image search: [Google]
NEEarGKHMuFDIJ_2_b.jpg
30KB, 600x316px
Do you think future hipsters will bring VHS back when VCRs and tape start getting hard to find?
>>
File: No.gif (1MB, 339x336px) Image search: [Google]
No.gif
1MB, 339x336px
>>59822088
picture quality from those things is abysmal at best
>>
>>59822088
The interest in Vinyl is more than just the "different" medium. It's the big, frame-able or otherwise easy to display album art, inserts, nostalgia and massive presence in popular culture, all while retaining good enough quality over a long period of time. People love the look, the feel and the context of it.

VHS doesn't really have any of that shit, it's not high quality, it's not easy to display, it's not as culturally significant, it's not even that durable. Sure, you'll see the occasional nostalgic collector or hobbyist who likes fucking with them or collecting them on the side, but they're definitely not going to see a "revival" on the level that Vinyl has.
>>
I didn't know this until I tried to safely get rid of a large swath of tapes I have, but apparently the tape itself is not really recycled.

Only the plastic case is, and even then you have to disassemble it from the tape.

So basically landfill fodder
>>
>>59822155
Pretty much this. The interest in vinyl is only half to do with the medium.

I suppose another example would be big-box PC games.
>>
File: rbjtaf.jpg (79KB, 930x928px) Image search: [Google]
rbjtaf.jpg
79KB, 930x928px
doubtful, but Laserdisc has a bit of that, for similar reasons to vinyl
- not far worse than dvd quality, so 'good enough' for older videos, at least ones not re-scanned and re-released on blu-ray/hd-dvd
- big cover artwork, similar size as a vinyl record
>>
>>59822155
>it's not as culturally significant
it's culturally significant as a cheap recording format, it made recording tv affordable, that was pretty significant back in the day
as a commercial release format it wasn't really "the best" in any category
>>
>>59822649
>as a commercial release format it wasn't really "the best" in any category
well, it might have been the cheapest there, too, but i was only really around for the winding down of VHS commercial releases, so i'm not certain this was true earlier on
>>
>>59822088
duh, its inherently superior. Why do you think directors are switching back to film stock. Having an analog medium for your videos and audio is best tier.
>>
>>59822088
> VHS.
Not using Betamax like true patrician.
>>
>>59822765
>Betamax
Not using Video 2000 like true patrician.
>>
>>59822462
>That feel of all the big boxes you threw out as a kid. Feel like a fucking pleb.
>>
>>59822692
Nobody is doing this. Hateful Eight was filmed and edited digitally then transferred to 70mm film as a gimmick. Do you have any idea how hard it was to edit a movie by physically cutting and taping film stock together.
>>
>>59822798
>Video 2000.
Not using Cartrivision like a true patrician.
>>
>>59822832
>Cartrivision
Not using Wochenschau-Archivbänder like a true Volksgenosse.
>>
>>59822649
But who ever sang the praises of being cheap? Vinyl isn't culturally significant because of its pure technological merit, it's so long-lived and had such a presence in so many peoples' lives that it became a symbol of the music industry, there's a sort of "class" to it and the mental imagery, artists and history it invokes. It means more to people in general than a much more fleeting and less universal medium.

There's still a little bit of it though, home movie rental was a big deal and still something you'd definitely remember and associate with the era, but the nature of it as a video format means it's never going to be as universally palatable as music.
>>
Laserdisc is the vinyl for video
>>
>>59822832
>Cartvision
Not using Video CD like a true patrician
>>
>>59822921
This.
>>
>>59822088
no they will choose beta max for that extra hipsterfeel
>>
I know a guy that purchases VHS and only watches movies on VHS
He's a pretty big hipster.
He walks around barefoot and longboards everywhere.
Also studies environmental science and constantly besmirches white people for how racist they are and how they deserve everything they get.
He is embodiment of white guilt.
He's white himself btw.
He's about 23 I think.
>>
>>59822928
Have you ever watched a Video CD? They were made before we got video compression figured out. It's like watching a 144p youtube video but glitchier and you have to change the CD five times for a 90 minute movie.
>>
>>59822117
Eh, I was perfectly fine with VHS quality when it was popular, and if I had to use VHS quality now, I wouldn't care.
>>
>>59822618
I'd argue it's also good for movies who have had edits when released on DVD/Blu-Ray, since the Laserdisc version of a movie is usually thr same as the VHS version but in higher quality.

For example, the Japanese theatrical version of the first Pokemon movie is only available on VHS and Laserdisc. With VHS you have to make sure you're buying the theatrical version and not the Special Edition, but with Laserdisc, you know what you're getting because the only Laserdisc release of that movie anywhere was for the original Japanese theatrical version.
>>
>>59822088
>future
already happening ファム
from two angles, the shitloads of '80s DTV that was never archived and is lost except for used VHS, and the good old hipster "my friend told me I could buy the classics for 50 cents each from goodwill, now goodwill wants $5 each when the DVD is $3 on amazon but I'm still doing it"
>>
File: 1457197260621.jpg (83KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1457197260621.jpg
83KB, 500x500px
>>59822088
It's not like you can go full retard with the cables so no.
>>59822155
>>59822911
>it's not as culturally significant
K, kiddo
>>
>>59822921
>laser disk
most likely this
because its rare as fuck.

I have a VHS player my self but can't get the heads to work well But i do watch some VHS tapes
kids will never understand those feels.
>>
>>59823549
>because its rare as fuck.
It's not kid. Laserdisk is more popular than HDDVD ever became in comparison.
>>
>>59823572
Its not in my country though not at all.
lol
that said HDDVD was too late it already got pwn'd by bluray.

I'm no kid ether born 1984
get rekt.
>>
File: 1487573861002.jpg (45KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487573861002.jpg
45KB, 1080x720px
>>59823669
>Its not in my country
No one cares about 3rd world
>I'm no kid ether
>pwn'd
>get rekt
>as fuck
>those feels
Off yourself.
>>
File: x500.jpg (124KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
x500.jpg
124KB, 1600x1200px
>>59822088

Unlike actual film cameras, VCRs can not compete with and have no positives compared to a modern format.
>>
>>59822928
>not using CED's like a true patrician
>>
>>59823688
"X education"
NZ is not 3rd world.

Just stop you are going to hurt your self with butthurt.
Also each disk cost 60USD.
Gueess what it cost alot more now and its still VHS quaily its just a tad better.

Its like you waste money on purpose.
and yes My school owned a laser disk for english.

But they are not really all that common as you can't pick up heaps of them fully working. well at least in my coun try and we only had japanese knock off's of the american ones.
>>
>>59823748
I have no idea what the fuck you just tried to communicate to me. It got lost in your underage slang and 3rd world bullshit language.
>>
>>59823790
>troll
Go back to school kid.
>>
>>59822970
It's actually 240p/288p and it was amazing at the time.
>>
M E M E W A V E
it's already in full swing lad
>>
>>59822088
I don't think it has potential to become a hipster standard. Reel to reel tape however seems to be the new hipster shit. Lots of people restoring the recorders and I see them for sale quite often. Sold mine for good money too.
>>
>>59825729
Yeah, at least in the first edition, the Nintendo history book Game Over by David Sheff was hyping how CD was becoming a big deal for everything including movies.
>>
>>59825729
>240p
>amazing
In what way was this better than beta or vhs?
>>
>>59822994
The HQ thing made vhs a lot better.
There's a huge difference between 1st gen mono vhs and a decent stereo hq deck.
>>
>>59825844
Easy to copy, no tracking issues, better image quality (depends on the encoding of course).
>>
>>59822970
Video CDs are pretty good considering they were really cheap to make
>>
>>59825908
>better image quality
>240p over composite
So you're talking out your ass.
>>
>>59825954
You can play it back on a PC. You could play it back through S-Video or RGB SCART. And even over composite it looks better then VHS.
>>
>>59825978
>You can play it back on a PC.
Which would like shit since you're stretchering 240p to 800×600
>You could play it back through S-Video or RGB SCART.
Ya no.
>And even over composite it looks better then VHS.
No
>>
>>59826027
>You could play it back through S-Video or RGB SCART.
Sega Saturn, Philips CD-I, Yamaha Video CD players all do RGB SCART or S-Video.

>Which would like shit since you're stretchering 240p to 800×600
Compared to VHS which doesn't play on a PC directly?

>And even over composite it looks better then VHS.
A good encode has better colors and the image is more stable then VHS.
>>
>>59825844
VHS was like 200x480i with noise and tracking issues
VCD was 352x240p with MPEG blockiness

Both were bad in their own unique ways
>>
>>59826113
>Sega Saturn, Philips CD-I, Yamaha Video CD players all do RGB SCART or S-Video.
Almost all those were composite.
>Compared to VHS which doesn't play on a PC directly?
Who cares?
>A good encode has better colors and the image is more stable then VHS.
No

I see nothing to support that VCD supported RGB.
>>
>>59825844
Price to manufacture, and ease of commercial copying, both discs and players. There's a reason it only took off in Mexicasia.
>>
>>59826253
At least the VCD decoder was technically capable of producing RGB or component output, unlike VHS. But with resolution that low, plus losses due to color subsampling and compression, I don't really see how anything above S-Video could improve the image.
>>
They had HD VHS so it's not too farfetched
>>
>>59826253
VCD didn't support RGB natively, but 4:2:0 is still a distinct improvement on consumer VHS decks which had only 1/4 of even broadcast NTSC's color resolution, and the YUV-RGB-YUV upconvert/downconvert shuffle performed by a quality VCD deck and TV combined was an improvement over any other method.
>>
>>59822938
Kill him.
>>
>>59826498
doubt it'd be worth spending the effort
>>
>>59826328
it was 480 progressive scan, hardly deserves to be called HD
>>
>>59822088
Wow, what Thinkpad is that ?
>>
>>59822970
i remember making 480x480 super vcd for my dvd player.
>>
>>59822807
Storing movies as film masters isn't a gimmick. Last I read several years ago archiving film was cheaper than digital archival. Digital archives also have to be retransfered to newer mediums every decade or so else the archivist is risking recoverability with degraded devices. Film storage is much simpler and doesn't need additional operations over time as long as the room conditions are right to begin with.
>>
It helps that vinyl is actually a decent medium, while VHS is trash. Yes, VHS was cheap and led to the popularity of home recording which makes it historically significant. However DVDs have entirely replaced VHS, they're also cheap and higher resolution/quality.
>>
>>59828578
>>>59822088 (OP)
>Wow, what Thinkpad is that ?
Tip top kekky wekky
>>
>>59822462
>>59823058
it is culturally significant indeed but not in the same way as vinyl. music subcultures were and still are a huge thing, so something romanticized related to those is bigger than a thing we used to record TV shows

vinyl used to be the good format to have music in (compared to like, tapes). it was also around for plenty longer.

and it was always glorified to some extent in music enthusiast circles (even before this "revival") (and I mean music enthusiast, I neither know nor care about audiophiles).

plus the whole quality thing: vinyl doesn't sound bad in the same way as VHS genuinely looks bad. plus the aesthetic: big, nice album artwork vs VHS isn't any bigger or cooler than a DVD

we still have music cassettes around, too, but that is 100% fringe hipster stuff and purely related to the way we have nostalgia over the times when underground bedroom-recorded music really used them for practical (/cost) reasons.
>>
>>59829821
Cassettes used to be how people sold homebrew on 8-bit computers back in the day. At least they did here in the UK because floppy drives were too expensive so no one had them.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.