[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

27 years in development and still no stable release. What went

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: Debian-GNU-Hurd.jpg (25KB, 480x410px) Image search: [Google]
Debian-GNU-Hurd.jpg
25KB, 480x410px
27 years in development and still no stable release. What went wrong with GNU/HURD?
>>
>>59819137
There's been pickup in GNU/Hurd interest lately since microkernels are popping up everywhere like QNX and L4e. Hurd definitely works on top of Debian and active development is still going on there.

History claims Stallman at the time went with the Mach microkernel because the BSD kernel was too early a release and needed a lot of work, so they focused on Mach instead. They also wanted a new kernel that wasn't monolithic, meaning you can restart misbehaving drivers like you would any app, and it would be impossible for any userland program to crash the OS.

It was too early for bringing kernels into the modern era with hardware-enforced process separation, and userland sandboxes and at the time monolithic kernels were 'good enough' so people went with them instead though lately all that's been changing, esp with so-called advanced operating systems courses being the norm in schools these days and students churning out all kinds of experimental OSs, many of them like GNU/Hurd with radically different internals.

If anybody wants to screw around with Hurd it runs no problem in a Debian VM and on GuixSD
>>
>>59819137
Linux, mach, etc.

If they had adapted it off bsd the world would be massively different.

Richard Stallman objectively hurt the world with GNU, since now microkernels are only looked at as pet projects, not as the godsend and future of tech that they are. Monolithic kernels have just about 0 advantages over microkernels.
>>
Goddamn, I had no idea about the shit stallman did...
>>
The monolithic kernel design actually helped the free software movement a ton because the GPL license means hardware support has to be implemented in free software. I'm not sure the linux kernel could have grown as popular as it did without the GPL or the monolithic kernel design desu.
>>
>>59819341
Nah, Stallman couldn't use the BSD 4.4-Lite release at the time because it was locked up in AT&T/Unix System Laboratories lawsuits. It also required a ton of work to get it working as a standalone kernel and they admitted at the time it was an error to go with Mach instead as they assumed that would be less work to get a working kernel.

Then Linux came around and RMS abandoned Hurd as they finally had a kernel without copyrights to work on.

Regardless work on Hurd persists both with archhurd and debian hurd
>>
>>59819397
They still have his papers as required reading at MIT, specifically the work him and Sussman did on backtracking with circuit SAT solvers using symbolic programming. RMS was the superhacker of his day churning out a crazy amount of projects then he decided to abandon it all for politics when Linux kernel was released and bolted onto GNU userland.
>>
File: IMG_20160529_004008.jpg (89KB, 480x412px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160529_004008.jpg
89KB, 480x412px
>>59819137
They completed the GNU/Emacs operating system first.
>>
File: OS-structure2.svg.png (33KB, 1024x262px) Image search: [Google]
OS-structure2.svg.png
33KB, 1024x262px
>>59819137
Microkernels fucking suck, that's why.
>>
i just realised hurd is a play on "herd".

gnu-herd.

wow.
>>
>>59819626
I GOTTA HURD, THE NIGGER CATTLE
>>
>>59819598
I thought Hurd had "federated" modules and no core, meaning the system would keep running as long as there is at least one module up.
>>
>>59819457
>According to Thomas Bushnell, the initial Hurd architect, their early plan was to adapt the 4.4BSD-Lite kernel and, in hindsight, "It is now perfectly obvious to me that this would have succeeded splendidly and the world would be a very different place today".

Also it doesn't matter if it works now, the game is ruined. We already have L4, Hurd is irrelevant, but the point is that it tainted the microkernel water, which fucked os development for 30+ years.
>>
>>59819422
Nah, because manufacturers could have released drivers that were OS-independent (to an extent).
>>
>>59819598
You're absolutely wrong, there is not one single area monolithics beat them in. Not one. Maybe around the time hurd was being developed, yeah, but even now resource wise the ring change performance cost isn't even a thing anymore.
>>
Fuck HURD we have MINIX
>>
i don't understand how minix is out and hurd isn't
>>
>>59820350
Parallel is now a thing, because of multicore CPUs and the Hurd, which is similar to a microkernel (but not one in theory) can be run in parallel on multiple different servers using even separate programming languages.

Plus some schools still use Hurd for their OS design grad classes
>>
>>59819137
For anybody who doesn't know, Hurd is a bunch of servers on top of Mach.

The main deal is the concept of translators, which are similar to 9P file servers and namespaces, and how all the Hurd servers are implemented. This design also enables easy persistence/running in parallel across networks if you wanted.

The Hurd actually has its own system for running multiple concurrent instances of itself, subhurds: https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/subhurd.html

If you want to hack on an OS for research purposes Hurd is the best going these days because it allows for flexibility and persistence so if you fuck something up it doesn't crash. There's a Qemu image here if interested https://www.gnu.org/software/hurd/hurd/running/debian.html
>>
you know how the BSDs have a source tree that contains everything

why doesn't GNU have this? it would be nice to have the kernel and userland in one spot and build it all automatically
>>
commie pipe dreams never work
>>
File: uh huh.jpg (309KB, 662x619px) Image search: [Google]
uh huh.jpg
309KB, 662x619px
>>59820666
I don't believe you.
>>
>>59819137
Overengineered, designed by committee like the rest of the GNU stuff

Read about why Mach failed as a microkernel and how L4 made microkernels great again

Hurd could become great if it stopped being "big and professional" and instead of trying to offer everything in UNIX focused on offering a minimal design. Deliver a fast pure microkernel design, without caring about security (aka let the servers handle security and don't validate messages in the kernel) or features or user request. After you achieve this goal, freeze the kernel and try to integrate more servers without compromising the purity of the original design.

But GNU can't do this. Look at the GNU utils compared to the BSD utils or at the BASH design.
They may be fast and cover all the bases but when you implementing a new kernel concept that mentality puts the project in development hell for a quarter of a century.
>>
>>59820159
>context switches are nowadays free
Yeah, no
>>
>>59824071
http://160592857366.free.fr/joe/ebooks/ShareData/Monolithic%20kernel%20vs.%20Microkernel.pdf

>L4 and QNX, have proven that speed is not an argument
against ยต-kernels anymore.

My sources are cited, where are yours? This argument is old and not relevant to the conversation anymore, because we've progressed in design since failures of hurd.

So I repeat: If Richard Stallman had not tried Hurd, or adopted BSD, then the world would be a better place computationally.
>>
File: jasV5KA.jpg (66KB, 600x599px) Image search: [Google]
jasV5KA.jpg
66KB, 600x599px
>>59819137
They should have written it in forth and they would be done by now and faster than linux too
>>
so i hurd you liek gnu in your kernels
>>
>>59824973
>>
>>59819522
>backtracking with circuit SAT solvers using symbolic programming

I just looked into this and I didn't understand a word of it.

>tfw I'll never be that smart
>>
>>59820159
Not him, but it did beat them at being easier to develop.

Anyway, what is the current state of HURD?
>>
>>59819137
Wasted its chance: Failed to migrate to L4.

After that, most people left the project for better pastures.

Better pastures include projects such as seL4, genode, minix3, helenos, fuchsia, harveyos.
>>
>>59819598
>>59824071
>>59824294
>>59826320
>>59820159
http://blog.darknedgy.net/technology/2016/01/01/0/
>>
>>59819137
>What went wrong with GNU/HURD
The delusional toenail eating homeless man
>>
>>59819137
So-so performance, free software developers mostly not caring about it because Linux always looked more promising and was more interesting to work on.
>>
>>59826766
Stuck in pre-liedtke world.
>>
>>59819137
haha mor like GNU/Turd what a piece of shit
>>
>>59819137
Freetards are autistic losers who never create anything of value, who knew.
>>
>>59820642
>it would be nice to have the kernel and userland in one spot and build it all automatically

Guess what systemd is doing :^)
>>
>>59819137
Linux happened and everyone went to that.

HURD devs today openly admit that they are doing it for fun, research and because it is an interesting project. They have no corporate backing or anything.
>>
File: 1475422636880.png (77KB, 155x202px) Image search: [Google]
1475422636880.png
77KB, 155x202px
>freetard shit
>stable
>working
>reliable
>functional
>on-time
>etc

Only worthless people work for free, only people who's time is worthless use the products of a worthless developer. Its one big ecosystem of losers on both ends. So it kinda works, but only if you're some kind of loser.
>>
>>59828570
>hurd
>interesting
-_-
>>
>>59828555
what i didn't suggest?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.