[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do Linux gamers use Linux for gaming? Don't get me

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

Why do Linux gamers use Linux for gaming?

Don't get me wrong, Linux is a great operating system, but I'm sort of failing to see how anyone can use it for PC gaming. Yes, there are games that exist for Linux, loads actually, but the majority of them seems to be indie titles.

At least if Windows fucks up, I have Civilization 6. That'll keep me going.
>>
>>59812400
Steam legitimized it.
>>
>>59812400
The OS uses less resources than its competitors, so it's able to give those spare resources to running the game. Once you're able to optimize a game on Linux, it'll most likely run faster than the Windows counterpart.

I use it because I like the open-ness and transparency of Linux, and I'm willing to sacrifice a few games for that.
>>
>>59812526
https://youtu.be/rCGMiT0CQAI

I also forgot about this, which explains why steam believes that people should use Linux for gaming.
>>
>>59812526
this
/thread
>>
>>59812400
sauce?
>>
>>59812400
They are minesweeper players and not true gamers
>>
>>59812526
There was an article I read about how Linux devs were able to get higher framerate on Linux with OpenGL after optimization than Windows.
>>
I used to keep Windows around, even 'upgraded' it to Windows 10, but it kept breaking Windows Update, resetting system clock to wrong time and bugging me with its adware, so I gave up on trying to use it.
GNU/Linux just works.
>>
I'm not that big of a gamer, but I still enjoy some games, and don't feel like creating a Windows partition to play them. So I just play whatever I can grab on Steam, which is surprisingly a lot.
>>
>>59812400
Because I'm too lazy to reboot.
>>
>>59812400
Most Linux gamers geniunely prefer indie titles since they experiment with new formulas instead of rehashing the same done-to-death formulas over and over, year after year. Furthermore, 8.25% of the non-indie titles on Steam support Linux. That may seem like a small amount, but Steam on Linux is still a relatively new thing and that number will only get larger over time. Considering the state of Linux gaming 5 years ago, I think things are going much better than expected.
>>
>>59813961

It also helps that a number of popular game engines are starting to support Linux. Unity, Unreal, even Cryengine all support Linux as a target platform.
>>
>>59812572
>Gabe Fucking Newell just reads powerpoint slides when giving a presentation
>>
>>59812400
>Why do Linux gamers use Linux for gaming?
because we use linux?

if running games is the primary purpose of your computer, then windows will probably make more sense for you, but that's not the case for me, and linux can run more than enough games (i'm also not fussed about playing older games)
>>
>>59813883
This right here. After a year of never booting back into Windows, I just deleted the Windows partition to free up room for Linux.

If some crazy 10/10, game of all time, Breath of the Wild tier game comes out that's Windows only, then maybe I'd dual-boot again. Until that happens, I can't be assed.
>>
>>59812400
>implying linux can gaming
>>
File: 4799089_p0.jpg (60KB, 538x402px) Image search: [Google]
4799089_p0.jpg
60KB, 538x402px
>>59812400
MAME is free software and I only play the finest Japanese arcade shooting games.
>>
Partly because of this>>59812413

But mostly I just use gayming consoles, because some of my favorite games aren't even available on pc (some of the atelier games, for example)
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.