[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You have an indefinite amount of money to build a supercomputer.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 1387783311649.jpg (42KB, 420x290px) Image search: [Google]
1387783311649.jpg
42KB, 420x290px
You have an indefinite amount of money to build a supercomputer. An enormous, gigantic and monumental computer.
What would you put in it? Include OS.
>>
>>59798997
hannah montana linux
>>
>>59798997
justin bieber linux
>>
A midrange build that I upgrade every generation.

That's all software utilizes now anyways.
>>
>>59798997
adolf hitler linux
>>
>>59798997
PonyOS

google it
>>
>>59799079
doesn't exist
fuck off
>>
>>59798997
ubuntu satanic edition
>>
>>59799126
sorry i meant hitlerlinux
http://properfucked.net/hitlerlinux.html
>>
>>59799027
But that would be a lot of power distributed on a long period.
>>
>>59799181
mm looks britty gud
their main site is down... fuckin americans must have killed them
>>
The only approved OS for something like that is the Windows XP gold edition.
>>
I would make it a superconductor

Speaking of which why hasn't anyone made a superconductor IC?

We know how to make superconductors, and yes it requires stupid amounts of cooling to work, but has anyone ever tried actually running some logic across a superconducting computer of some kind? I can only imagine how power efficient it would be.
>>
File: 11212324.jpg (110KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
11212324.jpg
110KB, 800x800px
>>59798997
Unlimited money? In that case I would hire a team of engineers to build a CPU the size of my fist and load it with several GBs of cache space. Then I would put over 9000 GB of RAM and 50-60 TB of storage into it. It would be cooled by chilled blood of Japanese virgin women. It would have a built in steam engine powering it that's fueled by $100 bills that dozens of slaves will be shoveling into it around the clock. I would install Gentoo.
>>
I'd rent it out to organizations for large scale computations. Probably hire a third party to build a custom OS
>>
>>59799299
>Speaking of which why hasn't anyone made a superconductor IC?

But we have:

>Because superconductors have zero electrical resistance, little energy is required to move bits within the processor. This is expected to result in power consumption savings of a factor of 500 for an exascale computer.[1] For comparison, in 2014 it was estimated that a 1 exaFLOPS computer built in CMOS logic is estimated to consume some 500 megawatts of electrical power.[2] Superconducting logic can be an attractive option for ultrafast CPUs, where switching times are measured in picoseconds and operating frequencies approach 770 GHz.

tfw 10 years from now you'll be posting on an overclocked 900Ghz CPU with a TDP of 2 watts
>>
>>59798997
I would hire the world best engineers, inventors, mathematicians and coders open a company and build the hardware and a software from the bottom up...probably linus karnel based
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.