[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think about textboards and the BBS that came before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: Textboard.png (130KB, 768x1009px) Image search: [Google]
Textboard.png
130KB, 768x1009px
What does /g/ think about textboards and the BBS that came before it? /prog/ needs to come back.
>>
why was /prog/ removed?
>>
Was a nice thing.
>>
>>59796194
M00t faggatory.
>>
>>59796194
Moot decided to purge them all one day.
>>
Just rename this place to /prog/ so we can have /g/uro back
>>
>>59796390
Or /tech/
>>
>>59796390
Keep it /g/, but make it a text only board.
>>
PROTIP: 4-ch dot net
>>
File: mm_packet.png (6KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
mm_packet.png
6KB, 640x400px
Would improve the quality of multiple boards on this site, as well as cut down on memesters.

Overall, I like text-based discussion. Just makes sense to me. Why would you not build an interface around its medium?

It's funny to say, but BBSs are actually more popular than a lot of text-boards that are still left. I think it's because that, if you have an interest in text-based discussion platforms you'd gravitate to a BBS over an obscure text-board, which seems like an awkward mix between the two. Also they have mail and get get pulled and pushed with utilities like Multimail or other software.
>>
>>59796432
No https,senpai.
>>
>>59796518
What are recommended BBS software? You won't even need a web browser and can do everything via telnet or a dedicated terminal client.
>>
>>59796570
>What are recommended BBS software?

Technically, telnet and ssh are "BBS software", and most BBS software these days are just front ends for that.

Being helpful though, Qodem is by far my favourite because it plays well without X.
>>
>>59796518
>Would improve the quality of multiple boards on this site, as well as cut down on memesters.

AHAHAH how new are (You) ?

it was only shitpost. And I mean really *only* shitposting and memes
>>
File: 1473040288446.png (272KB, 363x518px) Image search: [Google]
1473040288446.png
272KB, 363x518px
>>59796518
>can't smug_anime.jpg
Into the trash.
>>
>>59796179
26ch dot net
goatfinger dot ga
and many others
>>
But then where would I post the cute anime girls
>>
>>59797082
>stop being a weeb
or
>image host like imgct, pomf.cat, whatever
>>
>>59796420
>text only

The weeb butthurt would be glorious
>>
>>59796973
It's not a bug; it's a feature.
>>
File: goatse.png (6KB, 794x501px) Image search: [Google]
goatse.png
6KB, 794x501px
>>59796609
>qodem
>go to one of its listed BBSs
>see some pretty cool ANSI art
>disconnect
>get this

RUDE!
>>
>>59796518
>improve the quality
>cut down on memesters
Your whole point relies on the assertion that those two groups are separate. Which I doubt is the case, because I've seen boards where they tried that and they were total memholes. Do you even remember /prog/?
>>
>>59796432
There's also dis.tinychan.org/prog/ and dis.4ct.org/prog/.
>>
BBSs are weird. I've played around with a few times, but the entire paradigm and concept is so different. Is there a place that clues you in to their conventions?
>>
>>59797687
Anything with zero moderation will turn to shit. /prog/ had no moderation and it turned out the way it did.
>>
>>59796518
>Also they have mail and get get pulled and pushed with utilities like Multimail or other software.

Can't you also do that with regular comments?
>>
>>59796179
Turn /g/ into a text board as /tech/, that way it cuts down on ebin meme picture threads and posters
>>
>>59798925
It would cut down on the redditors who want their epic images included in the screencap, but it won't stop people from typing out memes and shitposts. That's why you need tight moderation.
>>
>>59797582
>connection closed
It's clearly wide open.
>>
>>59798949
loooooooool
>>
>>59796518
>Would improve the quality of multiple boards on this site, as well as cut down on memesters.
You didn't visit /prog/ at all, did you? Besides the rare decent thread, that place made /g/ look like a serious place.
>>
>>59799297
Moderation is key to all online interaction.

And I mean "moderation" in all senses of the word.
>>
>>59800069
Agree, but that applies to imageboards too. There's no inherent reason a image board would have lower quality discussion than a text board if both had the same kind of users, mods, etc.
>>
>>59798664
Yes, with the *.REP file that is made by something like multimail. You can get it through the Ubuntu repos, can't say much about any others. You launch it with 'mm' and Qodem is made to work with it really well.
>>
Are MUDs more or less autistic than usual MMOs?
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.