[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Advertisement | Home]

For all the people who are sysadmins and people who use Linux/Gnu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

For all the people who are sysadmins and people who use Linux/Gnu in their work. Do you use shell scripts/find it then useful? Is it worth it to learn and practice flow control statements with test commands and what not?
>>
>>59795445
No anything longer than one line that won't fit in an alias should be done in Python.
>>
>>59795448
I'm in lvl 1 linux/gnu and towards the end of the semester they're putting a decent focus on shell scripting. To me it seems not so useful unless you're writting big pipelines over and over again with no that many changing factors.
>>
>>59795445
>Do you use shell scripts/find it then useful?

Yes, more useful than you think. Anything that'll help is worth learning about.
>>
I haven't written much shell scripts, but they seem ineffective. Anything that is non-trivial will be probably better if you don't write it as a shell script.

I didn't even mention that utilities that you depend on might not work the exact same way on every system, and this adds to the complexity. Even shebangs aren't standard, and then there are small differences in core utilities.
>>
>>59795445
Yes. It's insanely useful.

People telling otherwise don't understand that shell script is not really meant to be a genera purpose language. It's a super glue for unix utils.

The language itself is very small and you can learn everything you would need in an afternoon.

I recommend you learn at least the basics of awk and sed.
>>
>>59797678
This. Shell scripts are meant to be used for simple glue code.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.