[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My house is pretty big and the wifi is horrible downstairs.(10-20Mbps)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 81eJtdiuKyL._SX466_.jpg (16KB, 466x312px) Image search: [Google]
81eJtdiuKyL._SX466_.jpg
16KB, 466x312px
My house is pretty big and the wifi is horrible downstairs.(10-20Mbps) Would buying my own router solve this issue? I'm currently using the router/modem that came with my internet service.
>>
>>59768753
Repeater

or spend some money and run a cable downstairs
>>
>>59768753
Buy MOCA adapters and a filter, then a repeater
>>
I also have issues with WiFi. I have ~125Mbps down on my Ethernet. Hook my cellphone up to my wifi and it is like 10Mbps. Wtf am I doing wrong? Surfboard modem and Cisco router that I own.
>>
Wireless repeater or range extender.

Or buy a router and set it up as a repeater.
>>
>>59769574
Have you tried powerline wifi adapters? I am still cautious, because it is any device on wifi in my network that only gets 10Mbps. If it is just connected to Ethernet it gets the 125Mbps. It seems like a configuration issue, but I have tried everything with no results. Only turning off WMM seemed to benefit the speed slightly. There shouldn't be THAT much of a difference between my Ethernet and wifi when I am in the same room as my router, right?
>>
>>59769855
powerline adapters rely on the quality of your houses internal electrical wiring.

Newer construction should be fine if done properly, older construction will usually have issues providing full speeds.
>>
>>59770065
Yes, I have looked into it a bit and am familiar with the preferred breaker architecture.

And idea on why my wifi might be acting this way? It just doesn't make any sense. I have tried everything and already looked into the theoretical capabilities of my router's WAP component, and it should more than handle my current ISP throughput, but I don't get near that on wifi.
>>
>>59770243
You could just wire up some additonal access points in the bad areas.
>>
>>59770243
Depends how congested the radio waves in your area are.

In my neighborhood there are so many opposing 2.4Ghz signals that it can be difficult to acquire decent signal from more than a floor or so away from my router.

5Ghz is great for avoiding radio congestion, but the 5Ghz band doesn't penetrate though solid walls all that well so it gets useless once you're a few floors away as well.

Multiple repeaters covering the corners of your house with a centralized router is probably the BEST solution for reliable wireless signal strength.

but you;'d be looking at ~$350+ in router costs probably.
>>
>>59770296
>>59770313
The problem isn't really that there are bad areas. Even if I am right in from of my router I still get bad signal. I have tried using a different GHz band, but that didn't seem to help. I will try to take a look at it again. Thanks for your recommendation.
>>
>>59771194
Make sure it isn't an ancient piece of shit, or some $30 junk.
>>
File: wifi analyzer.png (104KB, 720x1017px) Image search: [Google]
wifi analyzer.png
104KB, 720x1017px
>>59771194
Get "WiFi Analyzer" on your phone. It will allow you to easily tell which bands are most occupied, which could help in the short term.
It's probably not the root of the problem though, unfortunately.
>>
>>59771332
It's not. It is a Surfboard modem from last year, and a pretty midshelf Cisco router. Again, the Ethernet works fine. I am pretty convinced it is a configuration thing.

>>59771488
I actually installed WLANScanner the other day on my phone to troubleshoot the issue with, but never got around to it. Do you think WiFi Analyzer is superior? Or basically the same thing?
>>
>>59771560
I've never heard of WLANScanner so I can't comment but WiFi Analyzer is pretty good from what i've used it for.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.