[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much PHP knowledge do I need to start using Laravel? i'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: jSi6bS7.png (218KB, 445x477px) Image search: [Google]
jSi6bS7.png
218KB, 445x477px
How much PHP knowledge do I need to start using Laravel? i'm applying for an internship in May and I need to use Laravel there along with Wordpress. I already have a knowledge of HTML/CSS but I'm worried about the back end stuff on this. I have the whole April to study, so will I get the grasp of basics in this span of time? Or I'm fucked? I've only done very basic PHP work before.
>>
>>59753577
Don't know about Laravel, but Wordpress is usually used by fat tumblr feminists who studied commuciation "science".
If they can do it, everyone can do it
>>
>>59754362
I'm supposed to use Wordpress just as a base for themes. Everything is supposed to be written in HTML/CSS. Front-end is not the problem, it's the back-end that worries me
>>
File: 1470526583660.png (323KB, 600x617px) Image search: [Google]
1470526583660.png
323KB, 600x617px
>>59753577
>PHP
>>
>>59753577
Laravel is a 20MB shitstorm of complexity, unnecessary abstraction, indirection and magic functions that do stuff you could achieve with 10KB of [your favorite language].

Wordpress is ok, there's some weird stuff now and then, but at least it's straightforward.
>>
>>59755198
Go back to writing FizzBuzz retard. If you think a simple MVC framework is not straightforward maybe programming is not for you.
>>
>PHP hasn't died out yet
>>
>>59755069
Not that I have a choice since the workplace I'm going to is using it
I'd rather learn something like Python or Ruby but beggars can't be choosers
>>
>>59755660
>simple MVC framework
>20MB
Yeah you're right, it's not for me
>>
Laravel is a piece of shit.
Better go with:
CodeIgniter
Symphony
Zend

or literally anything else
>>
>>59755866
>oh no 20 MB so bloated xd
>>
>>59756022
Whatever keeps those GitHub contributions flowing :^)
>>
You should start working on a small php project. It's not that hard once you get started. Right now you probably just don't fully get how the server actually interacts with the html/css you write. Basically the php will just be generating html dynamically and writing info to DBs, sending emails or whatever you need. As long as you do two or three small projects you should be more than prepared.
>>
>>59756382
alright, any ideas on what should I make?
>>
File: zandstrabook.png (234KB, 758x1084px) Image search: [Google]
zandstrabook.png
234KB, 758x1084px
>>59753577
Recommending this book
>>
>>59756405
make a contact form, a login screen and something that uses mongodb.
>>
>>59756761
I'm thinking of making a to-do list in my webpage
something like where I can add posts with info, delete them and mark them as complete
Shouldn't be that hard, right?
>>
File: 1479869988817.jpg (65KB, 362x358px) Image search: [Google]
1479869988817.jpg
65KB, 362x358px
Its not good idea to learn any PHP framework you will be crippled for life

what is good idea is to try some respectable frameworks and languages first like

C# and ASP.NET MVC or Python and Django or Flask

when you will have good idea about these frameworks and then try something from PHP world you will be very amused and you will automatically start hating everything PHP related

this is how you cure yourself from PHP webdev cancer before you even start anything serious with it
>>
>>59753577
Hey uhh, a guy that actually used Laravel here for real life projects. I won't get into arguments about whether it's good or bad, etc. I don't care honestly and like you, I used it because it was an internship requirement and I ended up liking it.

To answer your question, you just need the basic knowledge of PHP, the stuff you get on the first few lessons on codecademy or something and also some OOP PHP stuff, like how to make a class in PHP, nothing too fancy just the basics. What you need to do after that is spent your time learning Laravel itself because that's what you will be using and for lack of a better word, it's its own programming language and you have to learn it. You can start on the Laracasts video tutorials.

Have fun m8 and PHP is not dead yet fuckers!!one!
>>
>>59756382
> Basically the php will just be generating html dynamically

what did he mean by this
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.