[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've come across the concept here of renting a powerful

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: ClaGQX0.png (813KB, 1379x828px) Image search: [Google]
ClaGQX0.png
813KB, 1379x828px
I've come across the concept here of renting a powerful server and then simply ssh'ing into it from a weaker, beater type laptop wherever you are to do all your work. Can someone explain or describe to me how that workflow would work?
I am new to devops and programming and I'm really interested in this concept as it sounds so liberating and flexible.
Is it just simply permanently renting a machine from say digitalocean and then storing all your files and projects in there synced to github for example? Keen to find out more about this concept.
>>
>>59747851
If you cant design it in your head then you are not ready for heavy metal.
>>
>>59747851
I use a toughbook to access my dual xeon on the go.
Tmux lets me get a decent terminal work environment set up and remains persistent and accessible by many machines at once.

You can rent but I find it much more pleasing to own a physical machine that I can play with instead of using someone else's.
>>
>>59747851
That image triggers my IT autism everytime
>>
>>59747865
That's quite motivational actually.
>>
Terrible idea.

Not only is a VPS comparable to decent desktop really expensive, it also has terrible latency (especially for graphical work and no graphics..

For comparison, a 8core/16GB/160GB vps costs about $160/month, that's $1920 per year... Meaning building a workstation would pay for itself in about a year while outperforming it quite a bit.
>>
>>59747851
>>59747851
>I am new to devops
kek, that's a scam, drop it anon.

Still, it depends on... many things anon. The idea of having a remote server to which you connect from various places and devices is in general a nice idea. I have one myself that hosts files, serves as a VPN, runs services like email server, web server and torrent seeding... and that really is my "home base" to which I connect from clients' computers and my shitty laptop, where I can find all my favorite tools already configured and shit. I wouldn't do ALL my work on it, but it's a great tool to complement my work.

As for the cost, in general, buying and operating your own powerful server would be about as expensive as renting one, though you'd have to handle maintenance, updates and issues too, like power outtages. It starts getting nice when you have a ton of servers, but for a single one, it's not really worth it when it comes to price alone, but then you get extra services.

Then it depends how much CPU you need. The average lowest offer provides about as much power as the average work computer, and without a X server, quite a lot more than that. You can always start with one,

>>59747918
>a 8core/16GB/160GB vps costs about $160/month
[email protected]/16GB DDR3/1TB SATA or 250GB SSD costs $200 a year on online.net, stop getting scammed anon.
>>
Op just get a used MacBook Pro and thank me later. Source: senior Devops engineer at major saas company.
>>
File: b27d635d02ae6adc823b5324edf47f4a.gif (959KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
b27d635d02ae6adc823b5324edf47f4a.gif
959KB, 1280x720px
>>59748640
It definitely seems less stressful starting with a MBP as so many utilities are already included and the environment is pretty productive. Though, I am not giving up on using linux just yet. My goal by the end of this month is to install Arch and set up i3wm or awesome-wm and use vim, tmux, bash regularly and confidently.
>>
File: 1488219892789.jpg (149KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488219892789.jpg
149KB, 1280x720px
>>59747875
>a decent terminal work environment
please tell us about unix way
>>
>>59748806
Do a graphical installation of Fedora or Ubuntu first then play around with the commandline. Arch will teach you some shit about ricing but honestly the thing you 'learn' from Linux is how to operate a computer from the commandline, and that can be done from any distro. May as well get one with a good GUI to help you through the transition.
>>
>>59748640
>senior Devops engineer

Implying.

t. Senior Java developer with 30 years experience.
>>
>>59750754
>grandpa knows best
>>
>>59747851
>ssh'ing into it
>how that workflow would work

I wouldn't do it unless I knew that close to 100% of my workflow could be done entirely on the command line.

Sure, you can run GUI apps over ssh (using the -X option), but you'll get annoying GUI lags that way.
>>
>>59747881
Why doesn't your website have a file named "hack.php" which lets people brute force your password all day?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.