[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Im planning on majoring in computer science. I have never taken

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

File: 1418605915185.jpg (259KB, 1300x755px) Image search: [Google]
1418605915185.jpg
259KB, 1300x755px
Im planning on majoring in computer science. I have never taken calculus beforehand, so im not sure how hard it will be. I have a little experience in programming. Should i major in computer science without past experience or will it be too hard?
>>
>>59741070
1: you can do it
2: its hard, actually study. the math is the hardest part of computer science for me because im shit at math
Source: pursuing a CS BS degree at a household name school
>>
Math is easy as long as you out a shitload of time into practicing it. That's literally all it takes. Just practice a ton of you're not good at it.
>>
>>59741070
Calculus and Discrete math (I think you generally need to do both for a degree?) are what trip up most CS majors

I'm going to assume you're a senior in high school, and thus 18 years old or older, and that you have time:

Do whatever you can now to learn Calculus, whether that's online shit, hiring a tutor, taking a community college class, whatever.

If you can't do those things or don't have enough time, then you need to AUDIT (or Listener) a Calculus class, and you MUST speak to your Academic Advisor about it. AUDITing (if you didn't know) means you pay for the class, you attend the class, you do the course work (I think, that might be Listener) but you don't get a grade or accumulate credit hours for it

>Why would I want to pay for a class and not get any credit hours for attending it, and possibly have to take an extra class to meet my credits per semester requirements for scholarships or the like?

Because if it turns out you're a math dunce, you can learn the lesson without tanking your GPA, and you can still learn programming on your own time via the internet and pirated textbooks
>>
File: 1436843827988.jpg (692KB, 1544x2384px) Image search: [Google]
1436843827988.jpg
692KB, 1544x2384px
>>59741070
I earned my CompSci degree about 8 years ago. For me, Calc was the hardest part. I ended up taking my calc classes in summer. It was accelerated but since it was the only subject I had to focus on, it made it easier. Had I missed a day of class, though, I'd have been screwed. Another option... most colleges have free tutoring opportunities/classes/whatever where grad students are available to help you with homework and such. That helped me with my calc-based physics classes.
>>
>>59742482
God she's fucking hot. I want to fuck her. I'm a virgin by the way. Thinking of going into CS for the big salaries.
>>
>mathfag
>hardest part was required programming classes

This is like bizarro thread to me. I enjoy programming but it doesn't come naturally.

OP you'll be fine. If you can code you can stumble through calculus given enough work.
>>
File: 1477721429630.jpg (618KB, 1920x1135px) Image search: [Google]
1477721429630.jpg
618KB, 1920x1135px
>>59741070
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.