[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much does Xiaomi phones and MIUI send my data/metadata to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 5

File: Xiaomi_logo_Mi.png (304KB, 7716x7716px) Image search: [Google]
Xiaomi_logo_Mi.png
304KB, 7716x7716px
How much does Xiaomi phones and MIUI send my data/metadata to China?

Would flashing Lineage OS or Resurrection Remix fix this?
>>
I would like to know as well if Samsung and iPhone are botnet. Is Android botnet ?
>>
>>59727945
>Would flashing Lineage OS or Resurrection Remix fix this?- 1 post shown.
No. It will only make half the things on your phone not work.

There's no way of escaping chinese spyware when you buy chinkshit.
>>
File: CerealGuy.png (35KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CerealGuy.png
35KB, 1200x1200px
>>59728129
Any proof that spyware would still function even with a custom ROM?
>>
>>59727945
>>59728117
>>59728129
All smartphones these days have a non-free modem and baseband software. Flashing a new OS and kernel will give you fine grain software control and more hardware control than with a stock ROM. Still, if the modem can circumvent the SoC and directly access other hardware like cameras and microphones then you're screwed. The best you can do is to buy something with a removable battery and don't store any sensitive info on it.

>>59728297
It's on a totally different partition that stores firmware for radios and cellular stuff that is used by a separate processor. Ever hear people here bitches about non-free binaries? That's what the baseband software is, in a nutshell.
>>
>>59728342
That's all fine and dandy, but has there ever been a case where the Chinese/US/whatever government ever caught anyone due to this always-on baseband telephony+microphone shit?
>>
>>59728374
IIRC the Galaxy S2 was proven to have an active backdoor in it which is documented in some old stuff from the Replicant project. I do believe they found a way to mitigate it though. Since all newer models are also blackboxes that are locked down even tighter, I think it would be best to assume the worst.
>>
>>59728117
No, but Google Play Services are
>>
>>59728410
It goes a hell of a lot deeper than the userland. Google Play services are the least of your worries.
>>
>>59728454
>>59728402
>>59728342
Is there any hope at all for a somewhat secure mobile phone then?

If I were a whistleblower or a subversive does that mean I would probably not want to use any mobile phone ever?
>>
>>59728342
How does the modern interact with the screws?
>>
>>59728490
no, there is no hope on modern hardware
>>
>>59728490
>Is there any hope at all for a somewhat secure mobile phone then?
Currently no. Not unless we get some manufacturer that releases all source code from the boot ROM to the kernel/apps. Even then, so many parts come from so many different manufacturers that this would be extremely difficult.
>If I were a whistleblower or a subversive does that mean I would probably not want to use any mobile phone ever?
Yeah, you would probably want to stick with simple burner flip phones that were paid for in cash and remove the batteries when not in use. For any real computing you should use a laptop that's running Libreboot/Coreboot with the management engines disabled, or just buy an old Core Duo model that lacks a management engine entirely.
>>
>>59727945
The only secure phone is an iPhone.

Even the FBI has trouble with its encryption.
>>
>>59728909
A false sense of security is worse than none at all.
>>
>>59728928
lol enjoy your actual chinkphone bonnet

u know Google is an advertising company right?

I'll trust Apple with their verified stance against the FBI over Google any day
>>
>>59728944
Pot calls the kettle black.

I don't use Google services. I use a Galaxy s5 with Lineage OS. Even so, it has a whole bunch of non-free low level components. The iPhone is totally closed source and you have nothing but the word of a giant company. Are you telling me that Apple wouldn't lie in their own self interest, you dense fucker? The only way you can completely trust something is if you can review the source yourself. Nothing to hide, no reason to make it closed source. You are a cuckold blinded by your own ignorance.
>>
>>59729013
>The iPhone is totally closed source

I wish this meme would die.

opensource.apple.com
>>
>>59727945
custom rom or RIP. I mean real custom roms not somewhat modded stock, although some of those guys do actually do a proper job stripping the bullshit
every brand has some sort of shit that steals info though, there's no escape. Even then google play services... there's no escape if you're in google's ecosystem
>>
>>59729048
>it's literally just some webkit shit
Oh, my bad. It's only 99.99% closed source.
>>
>>59729098
>a whole kernel and all sorts of OS subsystems
>just some webkit shit

unironically kys
>>
>>59729098
their UI layer is closed source. nasically their Desktop Environment in Linux parlance.

Everything else pretty much open source.
>>
>>59729124
The iOS kernel is not open source. Did you even read through the link you provided? Nonetheless, it still has the non-free modem and baseband I mentioned above.

A false sense of security is worse than none at all.

>>59729147
You can't compare Mac OS with iOS. They are so different.
>>
File: MaximumDamageControl.jpg (109KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
MaximumDamageControl.jpg
109KB, 650x650px
>>59729175
>dat backtracking
>>
File: 1476744239283.jpg (39KB, 508x524px) Image search: [Google]
1476744239283.jpg
39KB, 508x524px
>>59729218
>dat shilling
>dat lack of source code
>>
just bought a OP3T and immediately installed LineageOS sans GooglePlay services of course. I've been living without google services for nearly a year now and it hasn't reply been an annoyance it actualy feels pretty good, better batterylife/performance etc. I know I'm not completely out of the woodwork yet but stock debloated FOSS is the only way to go.
>>
>>59729255
Replacing the OS doesn't do you much good. Read through the rest of the thread.
>>
>>59729287
Yee I'm fully aware. I've done some very light kernel hardening, not really too much you can do against hardware backdoors. I'd rather trust a Chinese company than the ass backwards Apple stuck under ridiculous US law tho.
>>
>>59729330
I wonder if they would cooperate with US intelligence agencies if asked (if a backdoor is present). Still, you should've bought a phone with a removable battery.
>>
>>59729364
I'm curious about that aswell, hopefully they wouldn't but OnePlus certainly wasn't guaranteed in the prism project like many other mobile manufacturers. Eh my last phone did and it certainly was handy (LGG3) but I wanted a metal body.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.