[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is LFS the best method to make a linux distro for someone who

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: lfs-logo.png (16KB, 192x75px) Image search: [Google]
lfs-logo.png
16KB, 192x75px
Is LFS the best method to make a linux distro for someone who has little experience outside of just regular usage of different distros?
>>
>>59725361
No. If your goal is to make a distro you should first start buy learning how to host your own software repositories compatible with your package manager of choice. Then once you have that figured out, learn how to modify the installation media of an existing distro to utilize your own software repository. That's really all there is to it. From there you can start customizing the default software downloaded by the installer (if you choose to have an installer).

That being said, LFS is not a bad idea if you want to get your hands dirty. But if you are asking this question to begin with, my instinct is to tell you to start with Arch Linux since it's a lot easier to get up and running, but still requires you to at least understand on a basic level what some of the fundamental parts of the OS consist of and how they can be configured.
>>
>>59725470
this

First make sure you can handle something like Arch, that isn't hard or anything but requires you to directly manage the system. Then move on to gentoo, then once you understand that you can move on to gentoo
>>
>>59725470
I use Arch regularly. I just wanted a better understanding of linux as a whole, as opposed to just following a flow chart to install it. I don't intent to use the distro really, I just want the experience.
>>
>>59725827

>as opposed to just following a flow chart to install it

That is literally what you do when you read the LFS book.
>>
>>59725853
I didn't know, that's why I asked if it was a good idea.
>>
>>59725827
I personally value my time too much for LFS right now. But if you have too much free time on your hands and really want to get your hands dirty then go for it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.